Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

Totally agree.

In this case, I fail to see how anyone could defend an owner who simply ignores the request. How hard is it to respond “no”?

Maybe they did and it got overlooked given the volume of emails the broker seems to be getting? Maybe the Owner has more serious issues and thought they did respond?

Ultimately, no response to the email is a no. I just think we should have some compassion for owners as well who may very well be dealing with issues too vs attacking their character.

Last edited:
You are only hearing what the intermediary wants you to know. Do you think if the owner told him he rather cancel the reservation so the renter gets a full refund? I doubt it since he told owners earlier not to cancel reservations

Great point. Yeah, he did tell renters most owners were not returning funds and they had to take the voucher when owners came here and said they did return the money...

So yeah, no way is he telling any renter now if an owner was willing to just cancel it and let them have funds back because then they’d get it all.

Last edited:
You are only hearing what the intermediary wants you to know. Do you think if the owner told him he rather cancel the reservation so the renter gets a full refund? I doubt it since he told owners earlier not to cancel reservations

Ah, yes, the “benefit of the doubt”, always applied to the owner.

Hey, I get it. I’ve been an owner for more than 15 years. But good character was never a criteria DVC required. From the information given in this instance, I think it is reasonable to assume the owner ghosted. But I don’t need to do backflips to create a circumstance that absolves the owner. In this case I take what was posted as what actually happened.

Crazy thread. I have a question as an owner who rented out Aulani points this fall. I refunded the 70% I received to David's as it's early in my use year and I decided to use the points myself. I'm thinking about emailing the renters to let them know that I refunded their money to David's, and if they are dissatisfied with David's voucher/refund offer, that others have successfully disputed the transaction with their credit card company. Good idea or bad idea?

Crazy thread. I have a question as an owner who rented out Aulani points this fall. I refunded the 70% I received to David's as it's early in my use year and I decided to use the points myself. I'm thinking about emailing the renters to let them know that I refunded their money to David's, and if they are dissatisfied with David's voucher/refund offer, that others have successfully disputed the transaction with their credit card company. Good idea or bad idea?

I certainly would because IMO, renters should be given the option to take the money or the voucher when owners refunded the money.

Davids could even offer the renter it in the same way he is for those listing confirmed reservations...with a $3/point fee.

It is very possible the renter would jump at that vs, the CC dispute which would be good for the broker.

Great point. Yeah, he did tell renters most owners were not returning funds and they had to take the voucher when owners came here and said they did return the money...

So yeah, no way is he telling any renter now if an owner was willing to just cancel it and let them have funds back because then they’d get it all.

I can confirm this because I am an owner that used his services. I rented points for a June reservation and contacted the renters directly beforehand to let them know to rest at ease. That when asked, I fully intend to refund the money. I did when the time came, within an hours time of the email to see if I can return the money. The renters emailed me a few days later, asking why I changed my mind. I told them that I didn't and I asked them to call me. We had a very pleasant conversation. Apparently, they were told that the owner is refusing to refund the money so they can't get a cash refund. A couple of weeks later, I heard from the renter and she said that she didn't get her voucher yet and she thinks it was because they exchanged some words. Not sure of what their status is now, but I wish them well.

I'll call it as I see it: The "put your contract aside and work from your heart" crap is BS. No renter should have to go through the stress of the pandemic, and the stress of losing all their money at the same time. There's only 1 villain here and it's neither the owner nor the renter.

Good idea. I would and I did. It never sat right with me that someone would be speaking on my behalf with words that I've never said.

I can confirm this because I am an owner that used his services. I rented points for a June reservation and contacted the renters directly beforehand to let them know to rest at ease. That when asked, I fully intend to refund the money. I did when the time came, within an hours time of the email to see if I can return the money. The renters emailed me a few days later, asking why I changed my mind. I told them that I didn't and I asked them to call me. We had a very pleasant conversation. Apparently, they were told that the owner is refusing to refund the money so they can't get a cash refund. A couple of weeks later, I heard from the renter and she said that she didn't get her voucher yet and she thinks it was because they exchanged some words. Not sure of what their status is now, but I wish them well.

I'll call it as I see it: The "put your contract aside and work from your heart" crap is BS. No renter should have to go through the stress of the pandemic, and the stress of losing all their money at the same time. There's only 1 villain here and it's neither the owner nor the renter.

Thanks for sharing your story. Just another example of why I take what David’s tells renters with a grain of salt, because I doubt you were the only owner whose renter was lied to,

Last week davids email me and said a owner didn’t want to go I was I willing to rebook it keep the reservation but they will try to find someone else for the reservation. I said yes of course even if there wasn’t any 150 extra for changing. I have looked everyday it finally has shown up. Renter must of been really scared or couldn’t go the price is really really low it won’t last long. So low might even be worth it for me to buy it back myself lol. But I won’t do that doesn’t seem right. Not going to say what it is don’t want it to seem I’m after the 150. But it won’t last long guarantee.

Last edited:
Last week davids email me and said a owner didn’t want to go I was I willing to rebook it keep the reservation but they will try to find someone else for the reservation. I said yes of course even if there wasn’t any 150 extra for changing. I have looked everyday it finally has shown up. Renter must of been really scared or couldn’t go the price is really really low it won’t last long. So low might even be worth it for me to buy it back myself lol. But I won’t do that doesn’t seem right. Not going to say what it is don’t want it to seem I’m after the 150. But it won’t last long guarantee.

Update I told you it wouldn’t last long. Under 24 hours. Davids contact me said they had new renters who want to take over the reservation. Original renters lost a lot. The new booking was for only 11 dollars a point. Knew it wouldn’t last long. It was at the boardwalk in a studio beginning of October for 5 nights Sunday check out Friday. I know they were scarred but I would of knocked it down to like 15 dollars leave it there for a week than if it didnt get any takers knock it down again.

Update I told you it wouldn’t last long. Under 24 hours. Davids contact me said they had new renters who want to take over the reservation. Original renters lost a lot. The new booking was for only 11 dollars a point. Knew it wouldn’t last long. It was at the boardwalk in a studio beginning of October for 5 nights Sunday check out Friday. I know they were scarred but I would of knocked it down to like 15 dollars leave it there for a week than if it didnt get any takers knock it down again.

they probably wanted some money back with a Good guarantee that it would be taken. I think they could have asked for $14/point and gotten it, but maybe they needed the money back quicker (even though they get $8/point)

Why is anyone the bad guy? You have no idea why the owner is not responding

I didn’t say you should except defeat, but you are the one asking for an out of the contract, so i simply don’t agree you should be blaming anyone.

Well, its because most people are blaming Davids from what I can tell, and some are blaming the renters for not seeing this coming which.. how could we? It's unprecedented and frustrating that DL and Aulani are still closed with lower numbers. It's unsafe to travel and East Coast Disney seems to not care. It's making me defensive too.

Oof... The one we were ghosted on is also Boardwalk studio, first week of Oct. Sitting in Portland, surrounded by wildfires with air quality so bad its off the charts being reminded to be nicer because I don't know whats going on in the owners' lives. My MIL's farm is 5 miles from burning to the ground, my aunt's house was lost in WA... I'm honestly trying but it's hard, y'all. We're ALL are having a hard time of it right now! :headache:

Oof... The one we were ghosted on is also Boardwalk studio, first week of Oct. Sitting in Portland, surrounded by wildfires with air quality so bad its off the charts being reminded to be nicer because I don't know whats going on in the owners' lives. My MIL's farm is 5 miles from burning to the ground, my aunt's house was lost in WA... I'm honestly trying but it's hard, y'all. We're ALL are having a hard time of it right now! :headache:
Florida is very safe now. Numbers are dropping quickly. Come to Florida and get away from the smoke and fires.

Florida is very safe now. Numbers are dropping quickly. Come to Florida and get away from the smoke and fires.

yep my wife was scared to go last week. Went to Hilton head instead. Now going beginning of December now she saids she isn’t scared.I’m sure hundred thousands of people who were scared is no longer scared and now are planning on going. Which is great news for disney, universal, sea world for them and the employees. Plus lots of other workers who will be coming back that has a job because of tourists. Wish she wasn’t scared last week with the low crowds that will soon be coming to a end.

so sorry. I would see if davids can email them again. I probably have gotten over 50 emails from davids in the last 9 months but at least two emails went to the junk file. They could of also easily overlooked it. Most people will do it. I got 150 dollars for changing to a new family which took about 15 minutes with the hold time. I don’t see many people turning that down.

Well, its because most people are blaming Davids from what I can tell, and some are blaming the renters for not seeing this coming which.. how could we? It's unprecedented and frustrating that DL and Aulani are still closed with lower numbers. It's unsafe to travel and East Coast Disney seems to not care. It's making me defensive too.

People have been blaming David’s for the actions he has actually done when resorts were closed and owners were willing to work with renters in a variety of ways and he said no. He has lied to renters..see post above...so yeah, his actions are questionable.

I never supported the notion About renters with the whole should have gotten insurance because even those who did are out of luck,

But, now that resorts are open, peoples decision not to travel based on safety is Based on an individual choice and I think everyone needs to decide that. Personally, I have No issue traveling but certainly don’t begrudge those who do,

Point though is renters who need a change now are on the losing end...and I do feel bad for them...but they choose to rent a private reservation vs. one from Disney, which prevents a change or cancel.

So we will agree to disagree that any renter should be mad that an owner wants the contract fulfilled as is because whether people agree or not, putting your name on a new contract with new renters does obligate owners to new terms and conditions, no matter what David says when it comes down to it,

Of course you should be frustrated or disappointed and I am sorry that for whatever reason, the second owner can’t help you.

Last edited:
People have been blaming David’s for the actions he has actually done when resorts were closed and owners were willing to work with renters in a variety of ways and he said no. He has lied to renters..see post above...so yeah, his actions are questionable.

I never supported the notion About renters with the whole should have gotten insurance because even those who did are out of luck,

But, now that resorts are open, peoples decision not to travel based on safety is Based on an individual choice and I think everyone needs to decide that. Personally, I have No issue traveling but certainly don’t begrudge those who do,

Point though is renters who need a change now are on the losing end...and I do feel bad for them...but they choose to rent a private reservation vs. one from Disney, which prevents a change or cancel.

So we will agree to disagree that any renter should be mad that an owner wants the contract fulfilled as is because whether people agree or not, putting your name on a new contract with new renters does obligate owners to new terms and conditions, no matter what David says when it comes down to it,

Of course you should be frustrated or disappointed and I am sorry that for whatever reason, the second owner can’t help you.

Many owners have been willing to work with people. That is great, but we shouldn’t act like all owners have done that or that the new contract is why they won’t. We have seen in this very thread owners that were trying to figure out how to keep their points and still get paid if the renter wasn’t going to show. That is just greed.

Many owners have been willing to work with people. That is great, but we shouldn’t act like all owners have done that or that the new contract is why they won’t. We have seen in this very thread owners that were trying to figure out how to keep their points and still get paid if the renter wasn’t going to show. That is just greed.

Of course it’s not all and sorry if I made it sound like that. but there is a difference between resorts open and closed,

Keeping points and all the money would not be okay, that is for sure.

And, sure, maybe owners don’t want to change names for other reasons than contract.

I was just saying that it should be okay., no matter what the reason for the owner to keep things intact.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter