Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

David's just posted an update on FB:

An Update for our Guests Impacted by the Disney Vacation Club Resort Closures:
We are issuing guests whose travel dates overlap the Disney Vacation Club Resort closures a Travel Credit through David’s Vacation Club Rentals.
We are finalizing with our legal partners and software engineers to develop the systems necessary to manage this situation and deliver the Travel Credit to you very soon.
At this time, we can share that this is what we are working on releasing:
• The Travel Credit will be equal to the paid dollar value of your original rental less any compensation you may have already received
• The Travel Credit is non-transferable
• The Travel Credit can be used for any service offered by David’s Vacation Club Rentals including but not limited to Point Rentals, Cash Bookings for rooms at Disney owned resorts, Disney Cruise Line Bookings, Adventure by Disney Bookings, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines Bookings, or any other venue added at our discretion, based on availability
• The Travel Credit will be valid for 15 months from the date it is issued
We will be reaching out to guests soon to provide them with exact details about how the Credit works, the dollar value, how to redeem the Credit, and the terms and conditions.
We hope you have more news to share with you soon

I posed the question of what they consider "overlap" since the resorts are closed until further notice. My trip is in June and even though they are not officially closed for my dates right now, I would still need to reschedule. I'm hoping my question gets answered and not deleted!

I got this as well. I am wondering what they mean by cash booking at Disney owned resorts. Does that mean David's could book a trip for us at say Caribbean Beach instead of renting points?

We are issuing guests whose travel dates overlap the Disney Vacation Club Resort closures a Travel Credit through David’s Vacation Club Rentals.
We are finalizing with our legal partners and software engineers to develop the systems necessary to manage this situation and deliver the Travel Credit to you very soon.
• The Travel Credit will be equal to the paid dollar value of your original rental less any compensation you may have already received
• The Travel Credit can be used for any service offered by David’s Vacation Club Rentals including but not limited to Point Rentals, Cash Bookings for rooms at Disney owned resorts, Disney Cruise Line Bookings, Adventure by Disney Bookings, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines Bookings, or any other venue added at our discretion, based on availability
We will be reaching out to guests soon to provide them with exact details about how the Credit works, the dollar value, how to redeem the Credit, and the terms and conditions.

I posed the question of what they consider "overlap" since the resorts are closed until further notice. My trip is in June and even though they are not officially closed for my dates right now, I would still need to reschedule. I'm hoping my question gets answered and not deleted!

I would assume that until your reservation is cancelled by Disney or at least until Disney announces an opening date that they David’s will not assume your June reservation is affected, since Disney is currently accepting new bookings for June reservations.

I’m sure that’s not what you want to hear right now, and I hope you get an answer you like better, but that’s my best guess.

I got this as well. I am wondering what they mean by cash booking at Disney owned resorts. Does that mean David's could book a trip for us at say Caribbean Beach instead of renting points?

I noticed that too. I hope they end up elaborating more.

I would assume that until your reservation is cancelled by Disney or at least until Disney announces an opening date that they David’s will not assume your June reservation is affected, since Disney is currently accepting new bookings for June reservations.

I’m sure that’s not what you want to hear right now, and I hope you get an answer you like better, but that’s my best guess.
Yup, that's what I figured. I do hope they at least still approach owners/renters with summer reservations. If an owner can and is willing to work with a renter it should be allowed.

I know for my trip almost half of our group is unable to go because they're now on unemployment. Resorts closed or not, a lot of people's plans will be completely disrupted. And it also runs into the issue of potentially paying full price for a trip with a very limited experience. The way they worded this even makes it sound like if the resort is open but parks are still closed, you're out. I can see a lot of folks taking issue with traveling from all over to just stay at a resort.

Our owner has indicated he is willing to re-book for us. We have selected new dates that are only one point less than what we originally booked and are working with David's to secure that. This is part of the email that I got from them yesterday saying I had to acknowledge before they would proceed with the new dates.

Before I reach out to the DVC Owner to see if they are able to do this for you, can you please confirm that you acknowledge the following:
  • If Disney closes further into the year that we are not able to:
    • Ask the DVC Owner to rebook for new dates again
    • Offer a Travel credit to you

I noticed that too. I hope they end up elaborating more.

Same, I would much rather book directly from Disney if possible with these circumstances. If that is possible I would hope that means we would be granted Disney's cancelation/change policies if further shutdowns happen. Especially with those terms dkpilati just shared from David's. It does not make me want to rerent points. Patiently waiting for more details.

Got a canned answer from David's so I asked soecifically what date they're up to now and how often will they be updating the dates that are impacted.

If I am impacted enough in David's eyes, I'd like to jump as soon as I'm able!

Got a canned answer from David's so I asked soecifically what date they're up to now and how often will they be updating the dates that are impacted.

If I am impacted enough in David's eyes, I'd like to jump as soon as I'm able!

I asked them the same question very specifically for my trip which starts on May 21, after Disney announced no new bookings until June 1st. They said they could not help me until mid-April. Let us know how they respond to you.

I asked them the same question very specifically for my trip which starts on May 21, after Disney announced no new bookings until June 1st. They said they could not help me until mid-April. Let us know how they respond to you.
As an FYI, they haven't reached out to me and my vacation was supposed to start on Saturday the 18th of April. I wouldn't expect them to be getting around to May/June any time soon.

It sounds like he is willing to allow you to do that. I don’t think it means you’d have the benefits of cash booking cancellations but it would open up to the renter more options for getting a room since DVC availability is pretty slim for the next 8 months or sol

What was the date of your original booking? If you don't mind me asking....

Our owner has indicated he is willing to re-book for us. We have selected new dates that are only one point less than what we originally booked and are working with David's to secure that. This is part of the email that I got from them yesterday saying I had to acknowledge before they would proceed with the new dates.

Before I reach out to the DVC Owner to see if they are able to do this for you, can you please confirm that you acknowledge the following:
  • If Disney closes further into the year that we are not able to:
    • Ask the DVC Owner to rebook for new dates again
    • Offer a Travel credit to you

Looks like a lot of David’s renters with late April or May reservations will be staying at Saratoga springs (a fine resort) in the spring of 2021 since all the other resorts are close to full for the rest of 2020!

Looks like a lot of David’s renters with late April or May reservations will be staying at Saratoga springs (a fine resort) in the spring of 2021 since all the other resorts are close to full for the rest of 2020!
This was my first time doing any of this, so I'm a bit curious. My current booking is Saratoga Springs, does it normally have more availability? Maybe I made the right choice lol!

What was the date of your original booking? If you don't mind me asking....

We were to arrive 3/21 through 3/29 at AKL originally.

My initial communication with them was very frustrating as someone different would respond each time. About 1-1/2 weeks ago it appears only one person has been assigned to handle my "case". The email subject line has her name in it, so I'm assuming it gets funneled to her. After that, communication was much better.

This was my first time doing any of this, so I'm a bit curious. My current booking is Saratoga Springs, does it normally have more availability? Maybe I made the right choice lol!
Historically Saratoga springs and old key west have availability even a few weeks before a vacation. Others sell out either close to the 11 month window or shortly after the 7 month window.

That being said, I’d still stay at Saratoga in a heart beat. With the credit I’d get, I could probably stay there twice as long as I am currently planning to stay at BLT.

That being said, I’d still stay at Saratoga in a heart beat.
Me too. SSR is often viewed as the red-headed stepchild of the WDW DVC resorts, but it has really grown on me. Now that the landscaping has had a chance to mature, the resort has a relaxed but sophisticated vibe. The walking paths are second only to those around VWL and Ft. Wilderness, IMO. The improvements at the Paddock pool were a significant upgrade. The points chart re-balancing, for me, was an improvement (I don't have anyone in my party with mobility issues, and a 7ish minute walk to the central services area is not a hardship.)

I do typically rent a car when staying here, and use it often. That may be something to consider. When you are staying on points (as an owner, renting from one, or on an exchange) you do not pay for parking.

It sounds like he is willing to allow you to do that. I don’t think it means you’d have the benefits of cash booking cancellations but it would open up to the renter more options for getting a room since DVC availability is pretty slim for the next 8 months or sol

I guess I just don't understand how we would not be extended those benefits? I would think at a minimum, a rebooking would have to be allowed if Disney closed again? If it's booked through Disney how could they not follow the guidelines/policy Dinsey has in place for guests at those resorts.

Last edited:
I guess I just don't understand how we would not be extended those benefits? I would think at a minimum, a rebooking would have to be allowed if Disney closed again? If it's booked through Disney how could they not follow the guidelines/policy Dinsey has in place for guests at those resorts.

I think, and it’s only my guess, that David’s would be the one to get the money back if you book Disney.

I see it as his way to allow people to use the voucher, but it’s still a service with him that will come with restrictions,

If he just wanted to turn your voucher into a cash stay, he’d just refund you the money,

It would be a good question to ask,

I totally understand your dilemma. I hope you have the choice or rescheduling even if the parks are open.

If that is my situation for my rented reservations for later in the summer, I plan to just eat the loss of the 30% and have the renter check in per usual. You win some you lose some. I don't want to interfere with someone's vacation.
Me too. I just wouldn’t be able to bring myself to cancel an innocent renter’s vacation because of not getting the 30%, and still be able to look at myself in the mirror every day.

Wouldn’t many of these renters benefit from a cash refund now that they could then use to take advantage of the dining plan promotion?

1. It should be avail to renters because it’s avail for DVC reservations and they’re using the conf number to verify: that’s in the renter’s name.

2. That’s a new booking through Disney so should be protected against future closures.

3. It’s a nice upgrade in benefits that should offset the price differential.

If I were a renter who still wanted to go, I’d seek a chargeback and take control of my future reservation and take advantage of the dining plan offer for affected guests.

4. If you apply for the chargeback and use the funds to book the dining plan now, you can always reverse course if you lose the appeal and cancel the Disney booking.

5. If you lose, theoretically it’s because David’s countered that he’s got a voucher plan. If he uses the voucher plan as his defense, he’ll be honor-bound by those terms to still offer it to you if you lose a chargeback dispute. So, having to take the voucher shouldn’t be the best deal you can get; it should be the worst.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter