DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Evening Dads! I've been around long enough to know Gentlemen isn't appropriate. Just a quick drive by to see what nonsense you all have been up to but not going back more than a page or two so congrats, best wishes, bacon, prayers and Dole Whips as appropriate. I've got a week off now and am going to pick up stuff from my parents' estate and haul it back. I am leaving a lot of things for the sale that are precious to me but won't mean anything to my kids or anyone else so no point in burdening them with it.

Going to run after the F1 race, it is an interesting one.
"Interesting"... Fun race to watch.
Maybe every race should start with Mercedes making a bonehead decision.
Totally don't get it. 3 things could happen.
1. He pits and no one else pits. He's on dry tires and easily puts in fast times and passes everyone when they pit.
2. He pits and everyone else pits. He's in the lead.
3. He pits and a combination of 1 & 2. He leads when the rest of the cars pit.

Only scenario that he doesn't pit and still leads is if he stays out and everyone else does too.

Morning, folks.
Wayyy too early. Fell asleep after midnight and woke up at 3am and couldn't fall back asleep. Ugh. At least I have two shifts of work to look forward to in the next 24 hours. :sad2:

Morning boys from a sunny London. Kids are safely delivered to the MiL/FiLs until Thursday. Heavy day today, cricket tomorrow afternoon with some people at work, and then just getting stuff in line for 2 weeks vacation. Olympics still on in the background, so that's keeping me sane.

You've got to admire his absolute refusal to accept that he is out of it though. In my limited knowledge, I'm not sure Red Bull covered themselves in glory either.
I've got a week off now and am going to pick up stuff from my parents' estate and haul it back.
Good luck with that mate, that's not a fun task
"Ma'am, the store is crowded and and I had no idea who the mother was, so I asked the child politely to get out of Plush Mountain." She wasn't happy about it, but there was nothing she could do.
We generally had a bit more latitude in our stores. If anyone climbed onto anything, their baskets were taken from them and they were politely asked to leave by me. Handle your kids. Or shop somewhere else.
In terms of being a cool manager, I could point you to several inscriptions on toilet walls where I am named in less than glowing terms that would challenge this. But generally the people that were writing these were rubbish, and didn't like that I was managing them out.
Ugh. At least I have two shifts of work to look forward to in the next 24 hours. :sad2:
Yeowch. Sorry man.

Mornin', Fellas! Hope this finds everyone well on this Monday morning. I'm back to 5, 8's this week, so not bad. Talked to the Mrs. about a trip to Da World, not dates, just ideas about staying off-site. She's all fore it if the price is right. Since prices keep going up at Da World, I'm now seriously considering off-site hotels, something I never would have considered in the past. I like Disney and and would love to take the family multiple times, and the only way to do that is staying off-site if the price is right. So, having said that, anyone ever stay off-site before? Where did you stay, and did you like it? Did you get a package, or a room only and park tickets separately? Curious to know. Would love to hear what everyone's experiences are with regards to staying off-site. Thanks.

Happy Sunday. Mass this AM, then lost in doubles finals our local, annual tennis tournament today. Played bad, which made it worse. I guess I couldn't recover from the rest of the matches this weekend. Unpacked the stereo from garage and hooked it back up. It was nice to have some music again in the house. My oldest and her bf came over for dinner. It was a good day. I get tomorrow off to relax

Sorry to hear about your loss, but maybe next time.

Sorry to hear about your friend. In a way, you still get to remember him his truck. When my grandfather died, he had a single cab 1/2 ton 4×4 farm truck. I kept it awhile and had some good use out of, but it wasn't all that practical for me in the city.

Thanks, and it will be weird to be driving his truck. I know it'll be weird for our group of friends to see his truck around town.

Morning, folks.
Wayyy too early. Fell asleep after midnight and woke up at 3am and couldn't fall back asleep. Ugh. At least I have two shifts of work to look forward to in the next 24 hours. :sad2:

Been there, done that, so I feel your pain. Drink lots of coffee, my friend.

We generally had a bit more latitude in our stores. If anyone climbed onto anything, their baskets were taken from them and they were politely asked to leave by me. Handle your kids. Or shop somewhere else.

Wish we could, but we were The Disney Store

In terms of being a cool manager, I could point you to several inscriptions on toilet walls where I am named in less than glowing terms that would challenge this. But generally the people that were writing these were rubbish, and didn't like that I was managing them out.

:lmao:As you said, those people who wrote that are crap employees anyways.

Caught the last few minutes of USA/Canada women's soccer. Didja catch any of it @declansdad ?

You've got to admire his absolute refusal to accept that he is out of it though. In my limited knowledge, I'm not sure Red Bull covered themselves in glory either.
Coming from last to 3rd on a notoriously difficult to pass track... Impressive.
As for Red Bull... Verstappen got taken out early due to Bottas not remembering that it's slippery when wet. He never really recovered.
Handle your kids. Or shop somewhere else.
Here here!
I could point you to several inscriptions on toilet walls where I am named in less than glowing terms that would challenge this
"For a good time call..." does not count.
She's all fore it if the price is right.
At Disney????

Don't tell her the price.
Since prices keep going up at Da World, I'm now seriously considering off-site hotels, something I never would have considered in the past.
Considering the price of Disney hotels, combined with (reported) atrocious bus service and next to no housekeeping??

Yeah, I'd consider it too.
So, having said that, anyone ever stay off-site before? Where did you stay, and did you like it? Did you get a package, or a room only and park tickets separately?
It's been many many years since I've stayed off-site. But for what it's worth, park tix separately. It was fine, but... you definitely get jerked out of the magic every time you leave the parks.
Then again, hour long waits for busses and dirty rooms isn't exactly "magical" either.
Been there, done that, so I feel your pain. Drink lots of coffee, my friend.
Unfortunately... I don't drink coffee or tea. Ice tea, mind you... I'll be having some of that.

Don't tell her the price.

I try not to when I buy something big, plan vacations, etc.

Considering the price of Disney hotels, combined with (reported) atrocious bus service and next to no housekeeping??

Yeah, I'd consider it too.

Yep.

It's been many many years since I've stayed off-site. But for what it's worth, park tix separately. It was fine, but... you definitely get jerked out of the magic every time you leave the parks.
Then again, hour long waits for busses and dirty rooms isn't exactly "magical" either.

While it's "Magical" to stay on-site, it's not a must for me. Yes, I love certain resorts and would love to stay at them again, but for the price they're charging it's almost not worth it. If I'm paying a butt ton of money for a resort at Disney World, then I'd better get some good services for that money...which Disney has cut back on. And the bus services inside Disney? Yeah.

Unfortunately... I don't drink coffee or tea. Ice tea, mind you... I'll be having some of that.

Love ice tea, and will be stopping off at Dunks to get some before I leave for work. So, drink lots of ice tea, my friend.

"For a good time call..." does not count.
No, I wrote those.

There used to be a saying in HMV, that you hadn't made it unless someone had written "(your name) is a ****" on a toilet wall.
Where did you stay, and did you like it? Did you get a package, or a room only and park tickets separately?
I've stayed at Bonnet Creek (on points), and also in a Villa, and way way back (like '92) in a Holiday Inn on Intl Drive. Villa was nice, obviously the Parking charges were a bit of a PITA. We used to take advantage of the somewhat shady practice of booking breakfast and parking our car in the hotel, and omitting to move it when we went to the parks. Apart from that, we used to hit the parks, have a meal at one of the hotels and then go back to the villa, so didnt feel out of the bubble. We really enjoyed it TBH.
Bonnet Creek was lovely, TBH if I didn't have DVC, I would look at it again... especially as most of those Good neighbour hotels have almost exactly the same perks as the Disney Hotels.
The Holiday Inn was awful, but I was 19 and loved up, so was more interested in other things in the room rather than the room, if you catch my drift 🤣, so I'm not sure the tips I picked up on that trip would be that appropriate.

Last edited:
I try not to when I buy something big, plan vacations, etc.
:thumbsup2
While it's "Magical" to stay on-site, it's not a must for me. Yes, I love certain resorts and would love to stay at them again, but for the price they're charging it's almost not worth it. If I'm paying a butt ton of money for a resort at Disney World, then I'd better get some good services for that money...which Disney has cut back on. And the bus services inside Disney? Yeah.
Yeah, if the magic is gone from staying on site... and you're going to be taking a rideshare (or your own/rental car)... then... what's the point?
No, I wrote those.
Of course. I should have deduced.
There used to be a saying in HMV, that you hadn't made it unless someone had written "(your name) is a ****" on a toilet wall.
Higher aspirations, I cannot imagine.
The Holiday Inn was awful, but I was 19 and loved up, so was more interested in other things in the room rather than the room, if you catch my drift 🤣,
Got it. The mini-bar.

Morning all, Happy New Brunswick Day!

Go ahead and take the day off to celebrate, tell the boss I said it was OK.

"Interesting"... Fun race to watch.
Totally don't get it. 3 things could happen.
1. He pits and no one else pits. He's on dry tires and easily puts in fast times and passes everyone when they pit.
2. He pits and everyone else pits. He's in the lead.
3. He pits and a combination of 1 & 2. He leads when the rest of the cars pit.

Only scenario that he doesn't pit and still leads is if he stays out and everyone else does too.

It was an impressive run by Hamilton after that weird re-start and we did get to see it all because that was all Sky Sports showed. They totally ignored what seemed to be a pretty good battle up front between Ocon and Vettel. Too bad Vettel was DQ'ed after the race.

As for Red Bull, I wish Christian Horner would stay home and hang out with his Spice Girl.

Caught the last few minutes of USA/Canada women's soccer. Didja catch any of it @declansdad ?

I did see some of it between naps. Did open my eyes for the winning goal though.

We've stayed on-site 10 times and I can count on one hand the times we've had long waits for busses, even at closing it has moved fairly quickly. And we've never had a dirty room. The only off-site stays I've had include DDCC and single day visits while we were down there for other things so I have no real insight on an off-site stay. I do know that on those single day visits the magic was certainly gone as soon as you hit the parking lot.

It was an impressive run by Hamilton after that weird re-start and we did get to see it all because that was all Sky Sports showed. They totally ignored what seemed to be a pretty good battle up front between Ocon and Vettel. Too bad Vettel was DQ'ed after the race.
Yeah, there was a lot of that. But then I guess Sky is a British channel, so there will always be a bias towards the Brit drivers. It was a shame for Vettel. Me and the FiL were saying yesterday, I wonder if Lewis or Max or Alonso when they end up at the back somewhere and have to get scratchy in the dirt actually relish that rather than the monotony of just banging in lap after lap from the front.
As for Red Bull, I wish Christian Horner would stay home and hang out with his Spice Girl.
He does appear to be "a bit whiney"
Higher aspirations, I cannot imagine.
It's a real eye opener, when you first read it. A bit of pride, and a bit of "am I?"

(don't answer that)

Happy belated birthday, Doc!

A friend died last year, not as a because of COVID, but indirectly related to. Like most of the country, with everything shut down, his doctor's appointment's have been online via Zoom. Had he been able to go into the office, the doctor probably would have caught something that wound up doing him in

That's just brutal to hear. I'm so sorry.

I've got a week off now and am going to pick up stuff from my parents' estate and haul it back. I am leaving a lot of things for the sale that are precious to me but won't mean anything to my kids or anyone else so no point in burdening them with it.

And a rough week there, too. Hope you're able to take care of everything.

Would love to hear what everyone's experiences are with regards to staying off-site. Thanks.

To echo the others, I've only ever stayed on-site (but we can usually swing a discount 3-6 months ahead of our travel dates--keep looking for announcements). You can definitely get more space and nice accommodations for less money outside the WDW bubble. Since we only go every 5 years or so, I prefer to go all-in on the magic and stay there.

As for Red Bull... Verstappen got taken out early due to Bottas not remembering that it's slippery when wet.

That was...quite the interesting start.

Happy Monday Dads, I guess. Did a good amount of cooking on the grill this weekend along with some bourbon drinking and a couple of nice cigars. We were supposed to open up the offices today (3 days office & 2 days home depending on needs) but that got pushed back another 6 weeks with the current situation. Have a good week and be safe out there
Evening All,

back from the camping trip, things went well. Two days of hiking and 3 nights of sitting around the fire was a nice little vacation. DW says I need to find another spot before the summer ends so we'll see what I can come up with.

Moved one step closer to a new career, stay tuned.
Looked like a nice getaway. Good luck on the new career thing, keep us posted.
Well, my plan worked. Lowered the price $10K and got an offer $2K over what we lowered it to, along with several other showing requests. The realtor didn't listen, as contract had a possession date listed.

But then ....

DW called the home builder, who said the house won't be ready until October, 2 months after the contracted building completion date.

Now, the contract is vague, stating "shortly after", so does 2 months fall in that? Of course, we now feel the new home builder is being dishonest, or at least shady, for not telling us about a 2 month delay. We wouldn't have lowered the price on our house had we known we could have waited 2 more months.

Not sure what to do now. We may meet with the builder to figure out why they woukd try to withhold that information, as now, I don't know to trust them with building the house. What other things will they cover up? I could ask them for some compensation, but if they decline, not sure if I have recourse against them. I don't know how you all move.
Sorry about all the house moving / buying / building challenges. I think I will be o.k. staying put as long as the big guy allows.
Glad to hear she is doing well. My daughter is still early with the morning sickness phase, and she hopes it will end soon.
I feel like a chump, did not know you were on the path to GrandPa as well. Congratulations! Hope she gets through that stage quickly.
We've stayed on-site 10 times and I can count on one hand the times we've had long waits for busses, even at closing it has moved fairly quickly. And we've never had a dirty room. The only off-site stays I've had include DDCC and single day visits while we were down there for other things so I have no real insight on an off-site stay. I do know that on those single day visits the magic was certainly gone as soon as you hit the parking lot.
Last two visits (May & July) you could tell they were struggling with labor, as are most business. They have been in a hiring frenzy though and we could tell things were getting better in July. Bus service was great, especially when leaving resort as the bus schedule tool in MDE APP worked great. No major waits of any kind. Rooms were supper clean and being DVC we only had them come in and clean once for the week along with regular towel service. Parks at times were dirtier than normal which was our only real dissatisfaction with service staying there.

They totally ignored what seemed to be a pretty good battle up front between Ocon and Vettel. Too bad Vettel was DQ'ed after the race.
Wondered about that too. "Um... there's racing going on up front too..."
:laughing:

At least he picked the hot one.
I did see some of it between naps. Did open my eyes for the winning goal though.
I missed it, but saw it immediately after on replay.
We've stayed on-site 10 times and I can count on one hand the times we've had long waits for busses, even at closing it has moved fairly quickly.
Things have changed. Lots of complaints about hour long (or longer) bus waits now.
And we've never had a dirty room.
Not dirty at check-in... They've stopped Mousekeeping for the most part. I'm paying that much, I want the bed made and towels changed.
Yeah, there was a lot of that. But then I guess Sky is a British channel, so there will always be a bias towards the Brit drivers.
It was the same on F1TV
It's a real eye opener, when you first read it. A bit of pride, and a bit of "am I?"

(don't answer that)
You're taking the fun out of this.

Happy Monday Dads, I guess.
::yes:: Hump day for me. But 2 night shifts coming up.
Did a good amount of cooking on the grill this weekend along with some bourbon drinking and a couple of nice cigars.
Sounds pretty good to me.
Bus service was great, especially when leaving resort as the bus schedule tool in MDE APP worked great. No major waits of any kind.
Finally! First positive bus news I've heard in months.

Afternoon all. So, after a chat with our builder, he said the delay was "finding subs". So, as I thought, no global supply chain issues. We signed the contract in May, and 3 weeks before completion, now they can't find subs? I guess they had subs to build the other houses in the neighborhood? As I had to reject an offer on our house, it's time to go to the lawyer for anticipated breach of contract. Ugh. Just one more hurdle in post-retirement year.

Evening Dads! I've been around long enough to know Gentlemen isn't appropriate. Just a quick drive by to see what nonsense you all have been up to but not going back more than a page or two so congrats, best wishes, bacon, prayers and Dole Whips as appropriate. I've got a week off now and am going to pick up stuff from my parents' estate and haul it back. I am leaving a lot of things for the sale that are precious to me but won't mean anything to my kids or anyone else so no point in burdening them with it.

I still have some of those items, worthless to all but me. But, I kept them anyway.

Mornin', Fellas! Hope this finds everyone well on this Monday morning. I'm back to 5, 8's this week, so not bad. Talked to the Mrs. about a trip to Da World, not dates, just ideas about staying off-site. She's all fore it if the price is right. Since prices keep going up at Da World, I'm now seriously considering off-site hotels, something I never would have considered in the past. I like Disney and and would love to take the family multiple times, and the only way to do that is staying off-site if the price is right. So, having said that, anyone ever stay off-site before? Where did you stay, and did you like it? Did you get a package, or a room only and park tickets separately? Curious to know. Would love to hear what everyone's experiences are with regards to staying off-site. Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your loss, but maybe next time.

Thanks, and it will be weird to be driving his truck. I know it'll be weird for our group of friends to see his truck around town.

We've done stays both on and off, and we like on property so much better, which is why we did DVC. If your staying off, there are the hotels that have the bus transport to the parks. I don't like to drive in orlando on vacation. Or, there are hotels in walking distance of Disney Springs (I think), that you could walk there and bus to a resort and then theme park.

Happy Monday Dads, I guess. Did a good amount of cooking on the grill this weekend along with some bourbon drinking and a couple of nice cigars. We were supposed to open up the offices today (3 days office & 2 days home depending on needs) but that got pushed back another 6 weeks with the current situation. Have a good week and be safe out there

Looked like a nice getaway. Good luck on the new career thing, keep us posted.

Sorry about all the house moving / buying / building challenges. I think I will be o.k. staying put as long as the big guy allows.

I feel like a chump, did not know you were on the path to GrandPa as well. Congratulations! Hope she gets through that stage quickly.

Last two visits (May & July) you could tell they were struggling with labor, as are most business. They have been in a hiring frenzy though and we could tell things were getting better in July. Bus service was great, especially when leaving resort as the bus schedule tool in MDE APP worked great. No major waits of any kind. Rooms were supper clean and being DVC we only had them come in and clean once for the week along with regular towel service. Parks at times were dirtier than normal which was our only real dissatisfaction with service staying there.

Thanks. It got lost in all the rest of my drivel. I'll be glad when everything slows down and I can find a new normal. This has been a rough year.

I've stayed at Bonnet Creek (on points), and also in a Villa, and way way back (like '92) in a Holiday Inn on Intl Drive. Villa was nice, obviously the Parking charges were a bit of a PITA. We used to take advantage of the somewhat shady practice of booking breakfast and parking our car in the hotel, and omitting to move it when we went to the parks. Apart from that, we used to hit the parks, have a meal at one of the hotels and then go back to the villa, so didnt feel out of the bubble. We really enjoyed it TBH.
Bonnet Creek was lovely, TBH if I didn't have DVC, I would look at it again... especially as most of those Good neighbour hotels have almost exactly the same perks as the Disney Hotels.
The Holiday Inn was awful, but I was 19 and loved up, so was more interested in other things in the room rather than the room, if you catch my drift 🤣, so I'm not sure the tips I picked up on that trip would be that appropriate.

This is one reason why I'm thinking of staying off-site. If I can get the same perks with less money being spent, why not take advantage. As for parking? I'm not getting a car, so that doesn't apply to me.

I'm wicked smaht!

Yeah, if the magic is gone from staying on site... and you're going to be taking a rideshare (or your own/rental car)... then... what's the point?

Look, I get it with the whole rideshare-having-a-car-hotel-shuttle-bus-stinks kind of a thing, but from all I've heard, and read, the buses on-site aren't all that great right now anyways. And the Skyliner? Those resorts hooked up to it will jump in price, so out of my reach. I could be wrong on that, and I've heard the same for off-site buses as well, but I'm just doing my research right now. The price of an off-site hotel might, and do I mean, MIGHT, save me enough to do a rideshare if I have to use one. If I know I have to be somewhere early, then I get a rideshare. If not? I take my time getting to the parks. I'm just no longer sold on staying on-site.

Got it. The mini-bar.

Very important the mini-bar. Keep the liquor, though, and give me some beer.

I've heard good and bad things about the transportation for the Disney Springs area hotels, just like Disney resorts. I don't know, that's why I'm asking for opinions.

That's just brutal to hear. I'm so sorry.

Thanks. It took everyone in our group by surprise.

To echo the others, I've only ever stayed on-site (but we can usually swing a discount 3-6 months ahead of our travel dates--keep looking for announcements). You can definitely get more space and nice accommodations for less money outside the WDW bubble. Since we only go every 5 years or so, I prefer to go all-in on the magic and stay there.

I'm hoping to stay on-site the first time, and will use a travel agent who continually looks for discounts. Some of the perks are great. Kid friendly activities and all. Sounds great, but the price has to be right.

Afternoon all. So, after a chat with our builder, he said the delay was "finding subs". So, as I thought, no global supply chain issues. We signed the contract in May, and 3 weeks before completion, now they can't find subs? I guess they had subs to build the other houses in the neighborhood? As I had to reject an offer on our house, it's time to go to the lawyer for anticipated breach of contract. Ugh. Just one more hurdle in post-retirement year.

We've done stays both on and off, and we like on property so much better, which is why we did DVC. If your staying off, there are the hotels that have the bus transport to the parks. I don't like to drive in orlando on vacation. Or, there are hotels in walking distance of Disney Springs (I think), that you could walk there and bus to a resort and then theme park.

I like on-site as well, the POFQ being my favorite, but the high price is getting to me. Right now, I priced out a trip, when I did price it at least, for late April/early May, and came up with around 2K, which I didn't think was bad, but that's at a value resort. So with that kind of a price tag, I'd still consider staying on-site. I'm just basically looking at options.

As I had to reject an offer on our house, it's time to go to the lawyer for anticipated breach of contract. Ugh. Just one more hurdle in post-retirement year.
Oh, man... Sorry to hear that.
This has been a rough year.
Understatement of the millennium???
I'm wicked smaht!
:laughing:
The price of an off-site hotel might, and do I mean, MIGHT, save me enough to do a rideshare if I have to use one.
Another thought is that some off-site hotels offer free shuttles to the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter