• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Designers in training..Photoshop elements newbies

Hey there! I'll be lurking for a while until I pull the trigger and purchase PSE. I'm now looking for the best price (I'm cheap). I've been playing with pixlr.com (free "equivalent" of PS) for a week or so, but I'm finding it very limiting. I can't do name fills (maybe it's me), only clean up/change colors of existing clips. I then take those and work in powerpoint, which is also very limiting.

Keep the great tips coming. I'll be taking notes & hope to contribute soon. ;)

Me again. I have a question... Say I have a clip art of a ladybug (red with blk dots). I know how I can replace the red with a solid color, but what about a background? With PSE, can I replace the red only with a striped background image I have, for example? TIA

Yes I have replaced backgrounds, even made them transparent so I can move just the image onto other designs.

I found instructions on google.

Ooop. Sorry. I wasn't clear in my question. Thanks for your reply. I know how to replace backgrounds and make them transparent. What I want to do is take an image (such as a background of stripes) and use it to replace the red of the ladybug. Kind of a color replace but with an image of a background vs a solid color done right in the program. Does that make sense?

yup, its kinda like how I do name fills. I select the area I want to copy it and then using the magic wand I select the area I want to paste it into..... you can either use the tools at the top (paste in selected section I think it is called)or with PSE I use the short cut keys command+shift+v

hope this helps a bit, someone might have a easier way, this is just how I have found so far while using the program.

Wow you guys are smart cookies. I will have to try some of this.

Erin, do you remember where you found the instructions?

I downloaded the 30 day free trial of PSE. After watching numerous videos and reading just as many instructions, I DID IT!! Funny thing is it's not the way anything/anyone said to do it. I did a few name fills and replaced my ladybug wings with different background images. I'm hooked. I finally had to go to bed or I'd still be playing. ;) Thank you for your help.

I'm glad this thread has been started. :cool1:

I am hopefully going to start trying to attempt to do some designs within the next week or so.

Any tips for how to start? I read that getting a good Mickey head is the best starting point (how do I start with this???)

Also, where do you guys find all the clip art? Just google it?

Sorry for all the questions, I am sooooo new at this. We have such a long countdown that I would love to be able to figure this out to help pass the time.

I am using a mac, not sure if this makes things harder. :confused3

Thanks in advance.

Lisa (Administrator at a football (soccer) club but wish I was a SAHM however finances do not yet allow!)

Hello! I'm Lisa. I'm a SAHM who loves to do all sorts of arts and crafts, esp. Digital scrapbooking. I have PSE8, which I love, and can do a lot of things with, but if you all don't object, I would like to follow along here to learn more.

Thanks
Lisa

YAY always like new people joining us!

Thanks! I love to learn new ways to use my PSE. I forgot to mention in the last post, but I am hoping to plan a trip (the first for our two boys) to WDW in October. We are going to have to see how school calendars work out, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I am working on some shirt designs for us, and hopefully I will be able to show you all something soon. I am one of those people who have to sit and look at something for a few weeks, just to see if it is finished or not! So, it may take me a little while. :)

More later!
Lisa

Hi my name is Erin :wave: I am thinking about getting photshop elements 10 and really want to learn how to DISign :) I have some time to kill before we go in Nov and have nothing more to plan so why not help others with their trips!

Maybe you could point me in the right direction? I know I saw somewhere how to do this? Maybe Dolly explained it with a Tinkerbelle? Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to get a clipart image partly filled in the image (letter) and partly popping out of it like Milliepie did here: http://www.4shared.com/folder/qGCKRpL6/DCL_Alphabet.htmlhttp://

TIA!!

Woobie

PS- I'm SO addicted to this, my kids have been completely ignored. Oops. :)

I'm joining here as I am ready to go get PSE10 tomorrow and start playing with it. I've collected numerous (and I mean NUMEROUS) designs from other DISers for autograph pages. Would love to start making my own and also get some magnets going for our first DCL cruise in May 13! From the sounds of it PSE10 is the way to go...hope it is as easy as the info on Adobe page makes it out to be if not, I will be here whining A LOT for some help :lmao:

Hi Y'all! Another nurse joining in on the fun! I loved using the blanks from other disigners last year to make magnets, a journal and autograph book for my DS. I ran across this thread tonight and it has me motivated to get PSE 10 and try coming up with my own things for our upcoming trip to WDW in December and our cruise in March. Thanks for the tip on getting it off EBay - will order soon and get back to you then!

That is awesome! I have been a bit MIA lately and have not been playing with PSE like I would love to!

Hi all, I've been admiring the great designs here and would love to give it a shot. I'm an ER nurse and mom of 4, planning our second Disney vacay over Christmas 2013. We can't wait! Any recommendations on the best Disney clipart sites?

Hi all, I've been admiring the great designs here and would love to give it a shot. I'm an ER nurse and mom of 4, planning our second Disney vacay over Christmas 2013. We can't wait! Any recommendations on the best Disney clipart sites?

If you look at the FAQ sticky you will see there is one post just for clip art sites. a few years ago everyone sent me their favorites and i posted them all. I also do a google image and bing image search if I am looking for something particular. :thumbsup2

chaoscent said:
If you look at the FAQ sticky you will see there is one post just for clip art sites. a few years ago everyone sent me their favorites and i posted them all. I also do a google image and bing image search if I am looking for something particular. :thumbsup2

Thanks. I'm so excited to give it a try. For now I think I will get what I need from the DISiners but after that I'm giving it a try!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter