9 Shrubs
2 Suitcases

Donated
Shoes
5 Pants
16 shirts
3 jackets

45 things left the house.
Total of 134 total items left the house. Goal of 400 this year, 266 to go.

Unfortunately my uncle passed away last week and I was in the midst of the family chaos. I've now got a bunch of his stuff to get rid of because no one in the family wanted to deal with it. Oh well. I'm trying to get back on track with the decluttering. Today I got rid of 30 clothing items taking up space. DH still needs to empty his closet. 🙄

1 clarinet-gave to my niece for her dd
1 highchair gave back to niece
1 baby walker
lamp
2 under garments
10- items old food out of refrigerator.
2 Boxes recycled
old material
2 fresh flower arrangements

173/2019

You all have inspired me!

Been meaning to get around to purging for awhile.

so far:
  • sold 5 excellent condition toddler floor puzzles on the neighborhood "online yard sale" page
  • sold the train table that I've had since my 15 year old was 18 months old :(
  • sorted all the SW Lego Minifigures and took photos in preparation to list them on eBay
  • took a HUGE trash bag full out clothing to Goodwill

It's the first weekend I've tried in earnest so I hope to keep up the momentum. It's exhausting and, at times, sad. I have a hard time letting my things go, especially when my kids were attached to them. Even if they no longer are.

Cleaned out a bunch of stuff from the garage yesterday and gave to a family in our neighborhood who is doing a fundraiser garage sale to help with their mission trip costs. It's a win-win-win... gone from my garage, they picked it up, and the proceeds will help finance their mission trip.

Now, to the rest of the garage... that might have to wait until it's cooler than the surface of the sun in TN.

We have bulk pick-up in our area.
Everything so far that I have put on the curb has been taken by others.

Old tv antenna
Bed frame
2 shepherd hooks that I used to use to for hanging plants outside
1 heart shape plant holder from MIL, so old looking
Bar stool with a rung broken off the bottom
Part of a table top end piece
2 shoe boxes recycled
5 boxes recycled
Old food 2
189/2019

Last edited:

Got rid of the old kids bike and scooter, Goodwill. Loaded up my trunk with part of my late uncle's stuff and some stuff found in the garage and my car. I also posted a power wheels on Nextdoor but the app was being dumb and wouldn't let me attach a picture of it.

I regularly recycle out boxes from amazon

i've taken to saving the bubble wrap envelopes some of the amazon items arrive in (like dvds). the mailing lables easily peel off and w/some packing tape it's allot better to reuse one than to purchase new when i need to mail something that needs a bit of cushioning.

We both have so much bedding - pillows and blankets - that we simply don't need. He would be willing to donate all of it, but I worry we'll set it aside somewhere to be donated and it'll collect dust for ages.

if you have a local animal shelter see if they will take any blankets (and sheets and towels if you have them as well). these are a standard item on our local shelter's wish list.

Hopefully get some stuff done this weekend. My husband took a bunch of stuff to an eletronics drop off. Hopefully they take it all. I have been going through one shelf in my 2 food cabinets each week. Want to get down to one food cabinet

Spent some time going through a couple of boxes

1 container of dried up rubber bands - trashed
1 pair of shorts - trashed
1 pair of socks - trashed
1 sunscreen (expired 4 years ago) - trashed
6 shirts - donated
1 pair sandals - donated
2 pair of pants - donated
1 pair of water shoes - donated
1 travel sleeping kit - donated
3 water filter containers (last used in 2010) - recycled
1 box of crayola washable markers - to school

19 items left the house

338 of 500 or 67.6% of goal

I'm so behind, but starting to pick up the pace.

Decluttered a corner of our bedroom that still had unpacked boxes from when we moved in. Unfortunately, only a few items left the house. It turns out the boxes contained some of my older son's shirts. I put the few that still fit him in his room, set the smaller ones aside for younger DS, and scored a few nice t's for yard work. I did throw out the boxes and 2 big storage drawers that were broken so I guess that's some progress.

I really really need to get back into getting our house set up. I can't function in all this clutter ( I call it "chaos")
We moved three times in the last two years and have been in this house for about 18 months and still have stacks of boxes in the garage and basement.
Before we sold our old house, before we even listed it, we made a huge master sheet of all the rooms and whittled away at them purging, donating, selling or packing stuff away we knew we needed to keep; all in order to get our house show ready for selling.
Then we schelped all the boxes to a storage unit while we were in a temp apartment and then paid to have them schlelped to this house. I can't even tell you what is in those boxes and once we finally do open them, it will probably be stuff I'll end up getting rid of anyways.

Now that we've lived here 18 months, things are bugging me about this house, it does not have nearly the amount of organization as our old house. Somehow we really overlooked this house doesn't have common space closets like a coat closet or linen closets, 4 bathrooms and no linen closets. So just outside the kids bathroom I bought a three-tier shelf and have all the things piled up on it that used to be in a linen closet. We don't have a coat closet anymore, we have three kids, so lots of jacket/coats, backpacks, shoes, hats etc. I bought one of those in-a-box closets and it's set up in the dining room (looks soooo tacky, but functional) when we have company over we slide it down to the garage hallway ( ya know, to be classy!) I need to work on getting the organizational structure in place, so when I go through everything the things that I do keep will have a place!

Now that we've lived here 18 months, things are bugging me about this house, it does not have nearly the amount of organization as our old house. Somehow we really overlooked this house doesn't have common space closets like a coat closet or linen closets, 4 bathrooms and no linen closets. So just outside the kids bathroom I bought a three-tier shelf and have all the things piled up on it that used to be in a linen closet. We don't have a coat closet anymore, we have three kids, so lots of jacket/coats, backpacks, shoes, hats etc. I bought one of those in-a-box closets and it's set up in the dining room (looks soooo tacky, but functional) when we have company over we slide it down to the garage hallway ( ya know, to be classy!) I need to work on getting the organizational structure in place, so when I go through everything the things that I do keep will have a place!

We don't have a linen or coat closet either. We ended up buying an armoire for the guest room for the linen closet stuff and an over the door hook thing for the garage door for coats (although we generally just end up hooking the on the back of the kitchen chairs). You don't realize how much you miss those type of things until you don't have them anymore.

Somehow we really overlooked this house doesn't have common space closets like a coat closet or linen closets, 4 bathrooms and no linen closets. So just outside the kids bathroom I bought a three-tier shelf and have all the things piled up on it that used to be in a linen closet. We don't have a coat closet anymore, we have three kids, so lots of jacket/coats, backpacks, shoes, hats etc. I bought one of those in-a-box closets and it's set up in the dining room (looks soooo tacky, but functional) when we have company over we slide it down to the garage hallway ( ya know, to be classy!) I need to work on getting the organizational structure in place, so when I go through everything the things that I do keep will have a place!

any chance you've got room in your laundry area for shelves for linens? i have a linen closet but i choose to use it for larger appliances so they don't clutter up my counters/kitchen cabinets so i got a couple of wicker shelving units and all the linens go there. someone wants a towel/sheets...that's where they get them. i also keep all the hampers in there (by type-towels/gentle/permanant press-the stained stuff goes into the sink in there so i know to pretreat). makes doing laundry allot easier b/c everyone else has to schlep their stuff there vs. me going looking for it).

coats-we have a coat closet that i keep out of season stuff store in but the day to day we have a hall tree. everyone hangs there stuff there, puts their shoes on the bottom shelf. when my kids were younger and had backpacks and such i put a plastic laundry basket there-backpacks, gloves, scarves, hats got put in there when they came in-it was easy to hide away if someone came over AND it was much faster to find stuff on school mornings.

Before we sold our old house, before we even listed it, we made a huge master sheet of all the rooms and whittled away at them purging, donating, selling or packing stuff away we knew we needed to keep; all in order to get our house show ready for selling.
Then we schelped all the boxes to a storage unit while we were in a temp apartment and then paid to have them schlelped to this house. I can't even tell you what is in those boxes and once we finally do open them, it will probably be stuff I'll end up getting rid of anyways.

been there-done that. it took me about a year before i got to those boxes as well. ended up setting up a folding table and chair. opened one box at a time and anything i wasn't going to keep went back into the same box which got put into my car for the next time i was near the goodwill drop-off. stuff i was going to keep went on to the table but if it didn't get put away/used before the next day of box opening i knew it was staff we didn't really need so it went bye-bye as well (soooooooooooooooo much kid stuff they had forgotten about got tossed).

A small batch of stuff left the house this week!

4 syrup dessert containers - donated
63 books - donated
3 DVD’s - donated
3 MS math prep binders - donated
6 Instructional books - recycled
8 magazines - recycled
2 cardboard boxes - recycled
2 Ink cartridges - recycled
7 CD’s - recycled
1 T-shirt - donated
1 change purse - donated
1 hand fan - donated
2 glass pitchers - donated
2 wiffle ball bats - donated
1 can of Dust Remover - used up
3 pillows - trashed
1 VHS tape - trashed

110 items left the house

448 of 500 or 89.6% of goal

I have a bag in my car ready for drop off at goodwill. I also got rid of one toy bike that I gave to a friend. I cleaned out some of dh’s closet - 3 pairs of pants, 3 dress shirts and a pair of shoes. I think I’m just slowly going to remove items he doesn’t fit.. wonder how long it will take to get rid of all that stuff.... hmm...

I really really need to get back into getting our house set up. I can't function in all this clutter ( I call it "chaos")
We moved three times in the last two years and have been in this house for about 18 months and still have stacks of boxes in the garage and basement.

We don't have a linen or coat closet either. We ended up buying an armoire for the guest room for the linen closet stuff and an over the door hook thing for the garage door for coats (although we generally just end up hooking the on the back of the kitchen chairs). You don't realize how much you miss those type of things until you don't have them anymore.

When I bought my house almost 6 years ago, I somehow failed to notice it had NO COAT CLOSET.

Now, I live in Phoenix so I don't keep coats, per se, but I still haven't found a good place to store my vacuum cleaner!!

When I bought my house almost 6 years ago, I somehow failed to notice it had NO COAT CLOSET.

Now, I live in Phoenix so I don't keep coats, per se, but I still haven't found a good place to store my vacuum cleaner!!

We just keep our vacuum in the corner of our bedroom since there is no good place to store it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter