Disboutique Fabric Swap ... update page 7

2cutekidz

DIS Veteran
Here is my suggestion... We categorize the swap. Group A: Boys Disney, Group B: Girls Disney, Group C: Holiday, etc. (We can decide groups later) I suggest sending Fat Quarters, that way, you might be able to do a stripwork jumper, or something similar - not just quilts.
-We limit each group to 5-10 participants.
-You can sign up for as many groups as you like.
-You send fabric (I suggest the same fabric) to each person in the group.
I know some people only want to do yardage. Maybe if a group isn't full you could sign up more than once, that way you could get 1/2 to a yard of fabric. But if you sign up more than once, you take the place of another person, so you'd have to send out another FQ to all the other participants in the group (does that make sense?) Or we can have a yardage group/category. (That's probably the better way to go.)
You mail out your fabric to everyone in your group. That way one person isn't in charge of ALL the fabric!! (And nobody runs off with 50 Fat Quarters!!) Cut out the middleman!
I also suggest a mail date of January 1st.

Let me know ht everyone thinks...I am open to any and all suggestions. We don't have to do it this way, it's just what I am familar with.

We are limiting this swap to people who have posted on the Kids Boutique thread at least 25 times...or have a recommendation from one of the people participating. We'll be doing another swap mid-year, so go check out the Boutique thread and get to posting!!

While we are deciding on amounts of fabric I would keep in mind the limited availability of some fabrics.

Once you have signed up for your group and you have to have 6 12 x 12 squares of the fabric, you are going to need a yard to cut up to distribute equally.

But you only have 1/2 yard in your stash and yikes JoAnn's is out of that fabric. KWIM? I would say limit it to 6 to 8 people per group and you can always open up a second group of the same theme.

One advantage to the middle man is that if one swapper just doesn't mail her fabric to the Hostess than the hostess doesn't mail any fabric to her. But I can see where it might be a difficult time of year with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up. If there are two Hostess who live near each other then it isn't on one ladies shoulders (UtahMama and SpongeMommie):rolleyes1

I think smaller groups is a good idea. Keep costs down!! I think sending ALL the fabric to a host would be overwhelming for that person!! I still like the idea of everone sending out their own fabric. If we keep it to people we "know" I don't think we'll have a problem with someone getting but not sending out any fabric.

Either way. Sounds good. There's advantages to both plans.

I think I'd rather mail out to each person in my group(s) so it wont be an expense to the hostess and no money is changing hands to possibly go wrong.

But I'd be fine sending all my fabric to one person along with some postage money (and a piece of candy for all her trouble :flower3: )

Both scenarios depend on the participants mailing on time. Like by Jan. 1st?

I love getting mail! I'm super excited to get fun mail!!!

So far these people have shown intrest...waiting to hear from them over here.

2cutekidz ("Host")
UtahMamma
Spongemommie05
Snubie
revrob
disneymommieof2
adoptionmomma4
eeyore3847 (a yardage category)
dreamer & wisher
Cindy B Good
mytwotinks
Celerystalker
Stephres
aimeeg
my*2*angels
billwendy
karamat
bsusanmb
disney 4 me
marianne0310
giasmom
100acreprincess
TSNCS
o2bacelt
jajone
Cherlynn25
PrincessLeighsDaddy
twins+2more

(This is not a completed list!! If you want in, or change you mind let me know!!)

The more people intrested, the more groups we'll have!

What fabric size do we want to do FQ's (18x22, I think) or 12x12?

I think the Jan. 1st mail date is a good idea.

I'm jumping over from DISBoutique thread. I'd like to be in on the fabric swap. I'm skimming the posts, cuz I don't have a lot of time right now (got dishes, load of laundry & dirty boys to bathe all at once!;) )......Anyway, I'd have to look thru what I have because I'm not sure I'd have a 12 x 12 of anything. Most of the scraps I have now would be more like blocks here & there. To get a full 12 x 12 I'd have to go purchase yardage (I think).

This is getting kinda complicated :confused: & y'all don't know me real well yet.:( However, I am a woman of my word & would be willing to sign that in blood! :laughing: Basically, I'm as faithful to my friends as my big goofy Labradoodle dog is.:hug: That's very loyal!!!

Interested to see how this is handled. If it get's too much, I may have to bow out, because I am just getting started sewing with DIS stuff.

I'm interested! Count me in.
I'm mainly interested in things for quilting though, like Utah's original suggestion.

If this helps, (or not), I envision my finished quilt being a simple 5 inch square blocks so I really only need a 6 inch square of each. I don't want to waste, I really just want scraps so you do not have to purchase anything, please (for mine).

A couple years back, "Eye Spy" quilts were all the rage here in Utah. Each square is different. No duplicates. That's what I want for mine. An eye spy quilt comes with a laminated cards with either pictures and/or words of what to look for. Very cute! I maybe wont do the laminated card but we'll see.

If I have 12" square pieces, or if I need to go buy some, either way. But for me, please use what you have on hand- that is assuming you save your bigger scraps.

I have boatloads (not buttloads ;) )of princesses, and Nemo I can share. I also plan of getting that Bambi print! :cloud9:

But I'm hoping for little squares of a huge variety of characters.

So, I would need enough fabric to make 6 to 8 twelve inch squares and each person would get one square? I'm not sure if I have enough to do that. Is that how it works?

I am wondering if we could do mostly 6 x 6 inch squares for some groups and there could also be a group for a bigger size piece.

Utahmamma the eye spy quilt sounds neat! It would be easy to stitch them together too.:teacher:

We could make a group for a twirl skirt size exchange. Then you just have to sew your pieces together when you get them.

Sorry to be a stick in the mud about the hostess thing but I got burnt in that ABC swap on the scrapbooking board. I put a lot of work into my stuff and money too. The hostess disappeared with most of the stuff. There were 13 swappers and only 4 of us got packages. We have no idea what happened to the hostess or our stuff. :confused3 Also DISboards will not intervene or do anything if things go wrong. So it is swappers be ware .

It might be easier just to mail it to each individual but we have to exchange a lot of addresses. That should be done via pm.

So, I would need enough fabric to make 6 to 8 twelve inch squares and each person would get one square? I'm not sure if I have enough to do that. Is that how it works?

So far, yes. But we're still just brain storming. Look and see what you have and what group you want...well, we don't actually have groups yet, but there'll probably be 5-10 in each group.

Possible Groups:

Boyish (ANY disney)

Girlie (ANY disney)

Classic Characters: Mickey, Donald, Goofy (etc) Bambi, Dumbo

Princesses

Winnie the Pooh

Pixar: Cars, Monsters Inc, Bugs Life, Ratatoullie, Nemo,

Pirates

Tinkerbelle

?????

Yeah, I think that's how it will go.
I don't think I'd have enough scraps either, so I'd have to buy. Is anyone else intrested in Fat Quarters or yardage? Maybe have seperate categories for FQ's or yardage(a yard). I'd be more intrested in the FQ and yardage groups.

I'll do it however you guys decide. I am probably more interested in Utah's idea for the 6" squares. Are we going to end up with lots of different squares? Sorry, I am a little slow tonight and I am getting more and more confused about how this might work. Sounds fun though, so count me in however it works out!

My first swap!!!!:cheer2:

OK I want in on this, but I am new to sewing and do not have a ton of stuff. I was thinking you probably need to do two catgories, one for quilt squares and one for fabric yardage! That way if people want to make a skirt or something everyone can switch and swap to get what they need! I don't know but this will work somehow!:thumbsup2

yeah I do not quilt. I think if some want to do a yardage, that can be a simple person to person swap if there is only 2 or 4 of us that want to do that.
that way 2 people get paired up with each other, and they just ship the all you can stuff flat rate priority box up with fabric and ship on to your partner.
also once you know whom your partner is you can let them know what intrests you etc and kids ages and sex's and it will help with the fabric choices for the box. you don't have to buy anything.

Address would be sent to me and I would send out addreses to the people in the groups.

Suggested groups:

Group a: Disney girl :tinker:

Group B: Disney boy :mickeyjum

Group C: Disney General :earsboy:

Group D: Holiday :santa:
1. Christmas
2. Thanksgiving
3. Valentine's Day
4. 4th of July
5. Easter

Group E. Yardage - boy :groom:
any thing goes in this swap as long as it is at least a yard!!

Group F.- Yardage - girl :cutie:
anything goes as long as it is at least a yard.

Groups A - D would be for 6x6 "scraps". E and F are for yardage.
For the Holiday (group d) category you would sign up for the group and pick a holiday. We could do the same for the Disney groups, - assign a character. That way you'd know what characters you were getting but not the exact fabric. (No duplicates that way.)

If there is enough intrest I would like to add a Holiday yardage category. :flower3:

Maybe for the groups doing scraps (or 6x6 squares) you could send out 4-6 different squares to each person. That way you're not just getting 1 little scrap of fabric.

And in all groups it has to be fabric that you yourself would use in a project!! No selvage pieces please!! LOL!

Is all of this making sense to everyone? I know if I wasn't typing it I would be confused!! :confused3

hi -

sounds so cool!!! as another newbie though, all i have are little scraps like somebody else mentioned - like 6x6ish.......

I think its a good idea to assign certain things to a person that way you know you are getting something different! Like if you were in the holiday group you would mail out christmas and you would be getting all of the other holidays! That really sounds great! I know I wouldn't want to send just how many ever pieces, because I am a newbie and I would hate to send someone 5 pieces of fabric and them send me 10!:scared: I like this idea!:banana: :banana: :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter