Disney Dining with GERD

Summer2018

DIS Veteran
I started a special diet one month ago because I suffer with acid reflux. I cannot have fried food, coffee ☹️, chocolate, garlic, tomatoes, citrus, alcohol, or anything acidic.

It has been a challenge avoiding all my favorite foods at home, work, and social situations. I can't imagine how I will navigate WDW restaurants on this diet.

I plan on bringing plenty of protein shakes, oatmeal packets, and GERD friendly snacks on the trip.

Can anyone give me any advice or suggestions on which restaurants would have good options for me?

I'm debating whether or not to do the dining plan. The rest of the family will be on it.

I've had GERD for years. Possibly due to 9/11 exposure.

Take 30 mgs of PREVACID per day. Fixes the problem for me. Been taking it daily and can eat anything.

I was on Nexium, a similar medication. I had to stop taking it because of serious side effects. Switched temporarily to Zantac. It doesn't work so I've had to change my diet to keep the fire at bay.

Take a look at the menus and see what is available. I have some rare allergies (not that common) and all the CS places had no problems switching out items from other entrees that they serve.

Have you tried Protonix (prescription)? I'm taking that along with the Zantac and it helps to an extent. Can't go overboard, but I can now eat garlic, chocolate, and fried foods all in moderation. Still can't do citrus, colas, anything tomatoe sauce but it's a huge improvement over just the Zantac alone.

My doctors won't let me take any of the proton pump inhibitors, i.e., protonix, prevacid, or nexium. Zantac certainly doesn't do it all, which is why I really stick closely to the GERD diet now. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm debating whether or not to do the dining plan. The rest of the family will be on it.

If the rest of the family is in your room and they are on the plan, then you're on the plan as well. Everyone on the reservation has to be on the same package.

If the rest of the family is in your room and they are on the plan, then you're on the plan as well. Everyone on the reservation has to be on the same package.
Thanks. I had a feeling that was the case. Can my husband use some of my quick service or table service credits? I will probably have a protein shake for lunch while he will be grabbing lunch at our resort. He eats enough for both of us.

Thanks. I had a feeling that was the case. Can my husband use some of my quick service or table service credits? I will probably have a protein shake for lunch while he will be grabbing lunch at our resort. He eats enough for both of us.

Yes, anyone can use your credits. You can even "buy" someone else a meal if you choose.

The credits belong to the room - anyone on the room reservation can use any of the credits, at any time. And, as noted above, Disney policy now officially allows you to use credits to buy meals for other people (this was technically prohibited in the past).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter