Disney Dream - Restart Content (initial cruises)

They've been down for 18 months and they couldn't revamp the menus? I was really hoping for some new items.
I'm pretty sure that the people who would be working on new menus were furloughed during that time too. Apparently a lot of the shore-side staff still isn't back as it is.

Sure but it's all a digital line still.

So the comment is "first come first serve" is not applicable when a large contingent are joining the queue at exactly the same.

The point was a fairly random drawing of who clicks join first is not any more or less fair than simply doing it by status. It's not like the historical you physically have to be in line first.
I wouldn't count on the entire ship wanting to leave all at once. We felt that way our first few cruises, and wanted to stay until the bitter end, but after a while, we really don't care if we stay at CC from 10 to 2 or 3 and head back. Also, since these August sailings are double dips, people may not be clamoring so much. They will get a good amount of time on the island even if they're the last ones off the ship.

Does anyone know how this works with Concierge? Do they still get priority?

Yes to keep people from crowding the exits onto Castaway. I actually prefer it! I’ll sit on my balcony for 20 minutes and then go stroll off then stand on the stairs in a crowd for 10 minutes. :-)

At least so far they've never stayed docked overnight (I'm corrected below!)... theories range from workers needing to clean and prep the island for new guests, weather changes making it difficult to depart the next day, to the island simply being too buggy overnight to make staying docked pleasant.

Last edited:

At least so far they've never stayed docked overnight... theories range from workers needing to clean and prep the island for new guests, weather changes making it difficult to depart the next day, to the island simply being too buggy overnight to make staying docked pleasant.

I read that they have to go back out to sea because they have to set off the fireworks, since they do fireworks 2 different nights. They can’t do the fireworks if they are docked at castaway.

Since this cruise is a back to back double dip at Castaway Cay, does the ship stay docked or where does it go overnight?
It definitely goes back out to sea. I've read varying excuses why - and likely the true reason is a combination of things.
  • very early in the Magic's career, I believe it did stay docked overnight and there was a horrible bug problem
  • the weather and currents can change, making the next day a challenge to get out if they stayed docked overnight (it also can make it a challenge to get docked, in which case the 2nd stop gets cancelled)
  • while DCL "owns" Castaway Cay, it is still in the Bahamas and likely subject to docking and/or port fees or tax implications (i.e., the onboard shops cannot be open while in port)
  • they will not (cannot?) set-off the fireworks while docked so depending on the schedule for Pirate Night they need to be at sea

I like crowds. I don't like sitting in my room. I find people interesting. I'd rather line up and interact with people. That's life.
After witnessing some nasty discourse and a fight almost break out between passengers trying to form their own lines vs gathering in bunches on the stairs - I’ll take the virtual queue. It’s always been chaos trying to get off at castaway.

It definitely goes back out to sea. I've read varying excuses why - and likely the true reason is a combination of things.
  • very early in the Magic's career, I believe it did stay docked overnight and there was a horrible bug problem
  • the weather and currents can change, making the next day a challenge to get out if they stayed docked overnight (it also can make it a challenge to get docked, in which case the 2nd stop gets cancelled)
  • while DCL "owns" Castaway Cay, it is still in the Bahamas and likely subject to docking and/or port fees or tax implications (i.e., the onboard shops cannot be open while in port)
  • they will not (cannot?) set-off the fireworks while docked so depending on the schedule for Pirate Night they need to be at sea
The year before you joined the Magic got stuck for a couple of days at Castaway Cay due to sea conditions. February 2010. https://chipandco.com/disney-cruise-ship-is-stuck-in-bahamas-6433/

At least so far they've never stayed docked overnight... theories range from workers needing to clean and prep the island for new guests, weather changes making it difficult to depart the next day, to the island simply being too buggy overnight to make staying docked pleasant.
See post above.

After witnessing some nasty discourse and a fight almost break out between passengers trying to form their own lines vs gathering in bunches on the stairs - I’ll take the virtual queue. It’s always been chaos trying to get off at castaway.

I'm never in the "first off" group at Castaway. We have a leisurely breakfast and get off between 10 and 11. There are no lines to leave at that time and then we walk the island to the beach. Usually, lunch is pretty quick after we arrive; I'm not a big bbq fan, so I eat a little, mostly the giant chocolate chip cookies lol. Then I explore or relax until I feel like going back, which is usually long after the masses, so I avoid another line returning too.

Never seen any such thing. I'll take live over virtual any day of the week and under any circumstances.

I'm never in the "first off" group at Castaway. We have a leisurely breakfast and get off between 10 and 11. There are no lines to leave at that time and then we walk the island to the beach. Usually, lunch is pretty quick after we arrive; I'm not a big bbq fan, so I eat a little, mostly the giant chocolate chip cookies lol. Then I explore or relax until I feel like going back, which is usually long after the masses, so I avoid another line returning too.
Oh, do try the banana bread. 😋🤤

Thanks to all who replied. Personally, bugs don't bother me. I'd love to do a night hike out there. I understand all of the reasoning however. Now, I just wish they would put up a webcam out there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter