Disney Genie+ and ILL$ Details & FAQ - Launches 10/19 at WDW, Paid "FastPass" at WDW and Disneyland (date TBD)

During FP+ it was also possible that you wouldn't be able to get your desired FP at the desired time / that times conflicted. You still had to chose, or keep refreshing or use ropedrop, ride at close. That basically didn't change. Except that you knew it advance, and you could make a plan B in advance. You can still think of that plan B in advance and activate if needed.

I have to be honest with you, and obviously, YMMV, but I never had a problem getting a FP+ time (at 60 days out) that coincided with any of my ADRS--- We usually schedule our TS dinners for 4:30- 5PM, and I normally had 2 FP for the morning/afternoon, and the other 1 after dinner. That could happen this time too... but, not as hopeful.

Does this now mean Disney has a little bit of motivation to build rides that DON'T have lots of capacity in the future, so they can make money on lightning lane?
They won't do that, because that would cause too long standby lines = complaints. They have seen that in Paris with Crush Coaster. Awesome ride, way too slow loading & low capacity. If they added FP there the regular line would stretch out to the other side of the park.

This is basically like the old original paper fastpasses except you use the app to obtain them instead of going to the ride to get the paper fastpass, right? And of course you have to pay, I understand that but $15 is pretty low. I also had a thought about “everyone “ using this system because the $15 amount is so low, my original thought was that everyone will get it and clog the system but everyone had access to the 3 fastpasses and the system seemed to handle it fine.
I think this new system seems fine, I’m anxious to see others use it first of course.

This is basically like the old original paper fastpasses except you use the app to obtain them instead of going to the ride to get the paper fastpass, right? And of course you have to pay, I understand that but $15 is pretty low. I also had a thought about “everyone “ using this system because the $15 amount is so low, my original thought was that everyone will get it and clog the system but everyone had access to the 3 fastpasses and the system seemed to handle it fine.
I think this new system seems fine, I’m anxious to see others use it first of course.

Yes the only caveat to what you've said is that $15 only buys you access to some rides - there is a certain set of rides (the most popular ones) that will require you to pay additional for a Lightning Pass for just that ride. We don't know how many rides will be included, but the rumor so far is 2 per park. In my original post, I have the list of rumored rides that will not be included in Genie+ - but you can probably guess some of them, Flight of Passage, Rise of the Resistance, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Remy's Ratatouille Adventure

I go to Europe (or somewhere abroad) just about every year. My WDW trips are always far cheaper. I enjoy both styles of trips for very different reasons, couldn't imagine giving up one of them.
we drive to disney. We just spent 8 days at Pop in June, for our family of 4 it was $7500. We didnt eat a table service every day either.

We're flying to South Dakota and Wyoming next year, for flights, a car for a week, and hotels at expensive national park lodges, our trip is going to be cheaper.

These Disney trips used to be no brainers for us. It used to be cheaper for us to go disney for a week, then it would be for us to rent a cabin in the mountains or a beach house and do those vacations for a week. It's just not anymore.

In the last 3 or 4 years, between this and the parking fees, that adds up to be at least $600 in additional fees, that's a little less than 2 of our plane tickets out west next year. We get nothing in return for that $600. We get the same services we got before they added the fees. I get it, in the grand scheme of things this isnt that large of a price increase, but when you add it to the other increases, it starts to add up.

This is why I said i wanted it to fail, because Disney can and should do better. All of us spend a lot of money on these trips, whether we're staying at a Value resort, or a Deluxe, none of its cheap.

We're just one family, so we don't matter to Disney, but the constant nickel and diming drove us to look at other options next year.

Guardians is also a good bet to be added. Maybe swap with Test Track if they want to keep it at two per park?
Here is what I think we will see...

MK...7DMT, SM & TRON when it opens. There are enough attractions at MK that they could support 3 LL rides

HS...RotR & SDD

EPCOT..I think they will open with RAT & TT then when GotG opens whichever is making WDW less money between RAT/TT will drop to the G+ tier.

AK...FOP and I don't think there are any other AK rides worthy of a premium tier let alone number of rides in the park. I doubt they allow people to double dip FOP for two paid rides in a day. My guess is WDW will use this opportunity to encourage hopper tickets so guests who paid for LL to go with FOP/RotR, FOP/GotG or FOP/Tron on the same day.

As for pricing at program release (if ride is open) then price hike for Spring 22 after they test the waters my guess is...
GotG/Tron/RotR $15ea pp (Sp22 $20ea pp)
FOP/7DMT/SDD $10ea pp (Sp22 $15ea pp)
SM/RAT/TT $5ea pp (Sp22 $10ea pp)

For WDW it is advertised that 40 rides will be included with Genie+

So how many rides does WDW have in total as of Oct 1st with RAT open?

46?

I think that Disney is targeting this service towards people who don't visit Disney often and want to ensure that they can enjoy the "full experience" during their trip. If they want to ensure they can ride the rides they want, then pay to ensure that happens.

For those that are regular Disney vacationers, I think that Disney wants to incentivize those people to buy into DVC. With the upcoming late park hours and those being targeted at only those guests staying at Deluxe or Deluxe Villa resorts that will be another selling point to get people to go the DVC route. That is honestly the only demographic that has had ANY value added in the last few years.

we drive to disney. We just spent 8 days at Pop in June, for our family of 4 it was $7500. We didnt eat a table service every day either.

We're flying to South Dakota and Wyoming next year, for flights, a car for a week, and hotels at expensive national park lodges, our trip is going to be cheaper.

These Disney trips used to be no brainers for us. It used to be cheaper for us to go disney for a week, then it would be for us to rent a cabin in the mountains or a beach house and do those vacations for a week. It's just not anymore.

In the last 3 or 4 years, between this and the parking fees, that adds up to be at least $600 in additional fees, that's a little less than 2 of our plane tickets out west next year. We get nothing in return for that $600. We get the same services we got before they added the fees. I get it, in the grand scheme of things this isnt that large of a price increase, but when you add it to the other increases, it starts to add up.

This is why I said i wanted it to fail, because Disney can and should do better. All of us spend a lot of money on these trips, whether we're staying at a Value resort, or a Deluxe, none of its cheap.

We're just one family, so we don't matter to Disney, but the constant nickel and diming drove us to look at other options next year.
I went to that area last year, loved it! It really is beautiful out west

My problem is I can't get Disney there. So the trading off of vacations doesn't work for me. And doesn't really even make sense to compare. I don't expect a Disney trip to be cheaper than pretty much any other domestic trip, and even some international. I know I'm paying a premium price, and every trip I've had so far, I've received what is IMO a good value for that higher price.
I know I'm lucky in that I take several vacations every year and some people can't do that. Its not like I spend all my vacation time at WDW, not even close. And like I've said before, I really don't mean to come across as saying that I think everyone should think like I do. I just like to provide a different viewpoint and share my opinion on how and why things work for me, even when they don't work for many others.

I went to that area last year, loved it! It really is beautiful out west

My problem is I can't get Disney there. So the trading off of vacations doesn't work for me. And doesn't really even make sense to compare. I don't expect a Disney trip to be cheaper than pretty much any other domestic trip, and even some international. I know I'm paying a premium price, and every trip I've had so far, I've received what is IMO a good value for that higher price.
I know I'm lucky in that I take several vacations every year and some people can't do that. Its not like I spend all my vacation time at WDW, not even close. And like I've said before, I really don't mean to come across as saying that I think everyone should think like I do. I just like to provide a different viewpoint and share my opinion on how and why things work for me, even when they don't work for many others.
glad you liked it, cant wait to check it out.

The issues are, it was cheaper than other domestic trips. It's no longer anymore. Even when you add in the flights and the car for other domestic places, its still not cheaper.

We take one major trip a year, its what we can afford. So we have to choose.

Guardians is also a good bet to be added. Maybe swap with Test Track if they want to keep it at two per park?

Swap? Those are both going to be virtual queue, separate buckets....pick 1 vq per day, pay for 2 premium rides and then good luck with the rest. I dont even have a million dollars but if I did, I would bet on that.

For those that are regular Disney vacationers, I think that Disney wants to incentivize those people to buy into DVC. With the upcoming late park hours and those being targeted at only those guests staying at Deluxe or Deluxe Villa resorts that will be another selling point to get people to go the DVC route. That is honestly the only demographic that has had ANY value added in the last few years.
i mean, i'll be honest, making me mad with all the changes they've made, isnt a way to get me to pop down $20k.

Has anyone discussed how this will work with families that want to ride together. With fastpass you could start with individuals or pairs and eventually find something with overlap. If I give this genie my info and it makes recommendations, will I be stuck with recommendations for flying carpets at 7pm for five people?

If the rumored LL rides are legit that still leaves lots of great rides still available on the 15$ G+ tier. If the waits for the non LL rides using G+ are anything like the waits were for Disneyland’s maxpass they’ll basically be walk-ons. So if every ride is a walk on except the two LL rides at each park, just wait in the stand by line at those LL attractions and you’ll still finish every ride even at MK before the day is done.

I've read all 14 pages (whew) and I have a concern about the CM's. I feel sorry for the CM's who have to try to explain this mess to the public. I can forsee alot of frustration, anger, on both parts. I'm confused after just reading all this, LOL.
We went to Disney when it was magic and I'm glad we did. No more for us.
We will go to Universal (which we love), Cedar Fair Dollywood, DL(if they don't do the same thing with fp's), and national parks. I know they are "not Disney", but to me "Disney is not Disney anymore".

They should have just left 3 free fast passes for tier 2 rides to disney hotel resort guests and charged for a lightning pass to individual tier 1 rides. Or give one free lightning pass to any top tier ride for deluxe stays, something like that would be much more welcomed than charging for every type of ride. Ugh. The park tickets are already expensive as it is.

But you can rent a DVC room for the price of a moderate, sometimes even less.
Yeah, Ive looked into that. And ive thought about that.

More than likely when we go back in 2023, this is the route we'll be going. We were severely disappointed in Pop for what we paid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter