Disney+ News

Status
Not open for further replies.
there was a comment in the deadline article that mulan is ready to go when Disney is ready to go. It’s a matter of flipping a switch basically. The movie was fully ready to go right when the shut down happened. One of my friends got to see it at a D23 screening that happened the day of the shareholders meeting.

Well it was 2 weeks from coming out when everything shut down. I think the Hoopllywood premiere had happened that Tuesday, but I forget

Watched Artimus Fowl tonight.

Obviously trying to be a Harry Potter but felt it didn't have the character development that had - we aren't really provided enough to want to root for Artimus.

That said, it was fun and I didn't find it nearly as bad as early reviews were making it out to be - could be a good series for D+ to have

Okay, so I watched Artemis Fowl - it's not really that bad. There is one big issue, and that is Josh Gad's narration as it tells things that are already apparent and obvious. It's grating and unnecessary and it takes time from what is obviously a cut-down story with the short runtime of just about 90 minutes. Aside from that there was a lot to like with cool designes and an interesting world. The elfen army is pretty cool actually. I did not think the acting was bad or anything - the kid who plays Artemis is very deadpan and emotionless, but I gather he is supposed to be cold and aloof. It makes sense.

I mean, look, there's nothing too amazing here, but it's perfectly watchable - better than your typical Disney Channel Original Movie though the plot is about at that level. I'd watch a squel if they made it (and they set up for one as this is only based on the first book I think), but I doubt they will. It probably did make a lot more sense for D+ as opposed to theaters and it probably would have played a little better as a series.

I felt the same way. I watched it today and while it was nothing amazing it wasn't as horrible as reviews made it out to be. There were definitely some issues. Was a bit rushed at 90 minutes with trying to set up a whole new fantasy world and all the characters. Left little development for any of them. Also the end seemed kind of abrupt. The big action scene for the film felt like something that would be a middle of film action scene for most. Was expecting them to go rescue the dad from the villain following that but it just kind of gets wrapped up right away. Overall I'd watch a sequel i they made it but I hope they take notes from the reviews to heart to try to develop a better sequel.

I know lots have already watched Artemis Fowel, but if you can, before you watch the film, watch the latest episode of The Insider on Disney+ as the author is interviewed and they show some behind the scenes on the set of the film footage as well as some of the real life places which inspired the story.

Considering Artemis a Fowl sat in development hell since 2001, and now the movie finally gets released to Disney+ and horrible reviews, I don’t think we’ll be seeing any future installments in this series.

I've received a survey for the Dutch market this week. How I would describe it, would I recommend it to friends or colleagues and what other streaming services I used, how/why I liked these better than Disney +. Also several questions about the content aimed at kids (before asking me if I have kids)

I love having Disney +, but I use it as an archive. Disney is very limited in their brand the kind of new content they can produce, for other streaming services like Netflix the possibilities are basically endless. Yes, they make so much that a lot is mediocre, but there are pearls between them.

I've received a survey for the Dutch market this week. How I would describe it, would I recommend it to friends or colleagues and what other streaming services I used, how/why I liked these better than Disney +. Also several questions about the content aimed at kids (before asking me if I have kids)

I love having Disney +, but I use it as an archive. Disney is very limited in their brand the kind of new content they can produce, for other streaming services like Netflix the possibilities are basically endless. Yes, they make so much that a lot is mediocre, but there are pearls between them.

Netflix took 5 years to have their first original show. It wasnt until 8 years after launch that they had 5 original shows. Original programming doesnt create itself. Disney is working hard at bringing in original programming, from Marvel, to Star Wars, to Pixar. Mandalorian is probably one of the best original programming that any streaming platform has put out.

It was made for fans of Disney, and Disney subsidiaries. They never sold it to consumers as anything else. No other streaming platform will ever have a documentary like Disney+ had on Imagineering.

They know that as it started up that much of what was on there would be archived movies, hence the low monthly/yearly price. But by year 3, theres going to be continuous overlap of original programming on the streaming platform. It takes time for these services to grow. HBOMax launched as a joke. No 4K, no roku or amazon compatibility, removal of DC movies 4 weeks into launch. At $16 a month no less.

Netflix took 5 years to have their first original show. It wasnt until 8 years after launch that they had 5 original shows. Original programming doesnt create itself. Disney is working hard at bringing in original programming, from Marvel, to Star Wars, to Pixar. Mandalorian is probably one of the best original programming that any streaming platform has put out.

It was made for fans of Disney, and Disney subsidiaries. They never sold it to consumers as anything else. No other streaming platform will ever have a documentary like Disney+ had on Imagineering.

They know that as it started up that much of what was on there would be archived movies, hence the low monthly/yearly price. But by year 3, theres going to be continuous overlap of original programming on the streaming platform. It takes time for these services to grow. HBOMax launched as a joke. No 4K, no roku or amazon compatibility, removal of DC movies 4 weeks into launch. At $16 a month no less.
True, but how the questions were phrased, made me think they would like to have a broader audience besides the fans of Disney/Pixar/Marvel/Star Wars. But within the whole Disney brand, they are very limited to the type of new content they can make, the huge majority (or all) is family friendly. They will not have something like The Good Place. I can see epic fantasies like the Witcher etc being created by Disney. That might fit, however, they then need an adult/kids division like Netflix has.

True, but how the questions were phrased, made me think they would like to have a broader audience besides the fans of Disney/Pixar/Marvel/Star Wars. But within the whole Disney brand, they are very limited to the type of new content they can make, the huge majority (or all) is family friendly. They will not have something like The Good Place. I can see epic fantasies like the Witcher etc being created by Disney. That might fit, however, they then need an adult/kids division like Netflix has.

I do agree that Disney+ alone doesn't have a super broad appeal ... if you weren't interested in Star Wars and didn't want family stuff, not a ton of original content - at least not "big shows"

I do think Disney's plan is to put that "broader" stuff on Hulu so you almost need to compare (Disney+ + Hulu) to Netflix - and then obviously compare the combined price as well

I do agree that Disney+ alone doesn't have a super broad appeal ... if you weren't interested in Star Wars and didn't want family stuff, not a ton of original content - at least not "big shows"

I do think Disney's plan is to put that "broader" stuff on Hulu so you almost need to compare (Disney+ + Hulu) to Netflix - and then obviously compare the combined price as well
Good point, I forgot about Hulu. Then a second goal of this survey is to check the options and expectations for Hulu in the Netherlands. It's not here available now (unless you use VPNs etc.) but it is planned to be part of the international release next year/coming years.

Yeah, Disney has a diverse content creation machine, but they don't use certain branding for certain things. They can and do make adult-oriented content. Remember when they owned Miramax? They now have 20th Century Studios and they will use Hulu as a streaming option for the less family-friendly fare. Disney+ maxes out at about PG-13 in the mld of a Marvel movie. They would never put the type of Marvel show that Netflix made on there, but they might put it on Hulu.

Content takes time. Ideas for shows/movies take time. Making Mandalorian was a big risk. If it wasn’t received well, they’d be in a lot more trouble with the Star Wars division. With the success of Mandalorian, it gives fans something they want, which in turn gives them the ability to make risks elsewhere (original, non typical Disney programming) that if those don’t work out, they have other content to fall back on.

This is kind of where Artemis Fowl comes in. Its not an actual Disney property, but its also not being received well. But if people continue to watch it, even if you’re watching it in the background, it still adds into the algorithm and if it does well enough, they’ll be far more comfortable making more stories based on franchise’s that aren’t normally what Disney makes.

It all takes time. Opening up the streaming service with a Star Wars show, then having Marvel programming is just the safe bet content they needed to open with. As time goes on, they’ll get more comfortable with making programming that doesnt scream Disney.

But as someone else said, they have Hulu, and most of the original, non Disney IP content will likely end up there.

Watched Artimus Fowl tonight.

Obviously trying to be a Harry Potter but felt it didn't have the character development

That said, it was fun and I didn't find it nearly as bad as early reviews were making it out to be - could be a good series for D+ to have
Okay, so I watched Artemis Fowl - it's not really that bad.
. Aside from that there was a lot to like with cool designes and an interesting world. The elfen army is pretty cool actually.

I mean, look, there's nothing too amazing here, but it's perfectly watchable - better than your typical Disney Channel Original Movie though the plot is about at that level.
I felt the same way. I watched it today and while it was nothing amazing it wasn't as horrible as reviews made it out to be. l.

We watched it last night and after watching it, DD said "Well, you can tell why they released it on Disney+, but are holding Mulan for the theaters". We both found it watchable and enjoyable in terms of something that would be released on cable or as a Disney channel blockbuster (although it would be insanely expensive to be made for that type thing). We probably would have been sorry if we spent money on it in the theater- the story itself didn't seem that quality. DD loved the costumes and the special effects. The story was muddled, the characters were not developed, and it seemed like there must have been a lot of important things that were skipped over or cut from the story. It left me wondering if it just wasn't hashed out enough or if film editing really messed up the movie- but we watched one of the deleted scenes and clearly saw why it was cut- Artemis came off as being awful in that scene. Definitely trying to have the Harry Potter feel, but missed the mark on that because of what felt like story gaps and lack of character development. That said--neither I, nor DD, have ever read the books. It seems like the people that really hate it are the book fans.

We watched it last night and after watching it, DD said "Well, you can tell why they released it on Disney+, but are holding Mulan for the theaters". We both found it watchable and enjoyable in terms of something that would be released on cable or as a Disney channel blockbuster (although it would be insanely expensive to be made for that type thing). We probably would have been sorry if we spent money on it in the theater- the story itself didn't seem that quality. DD loved the costumes and the special effects. The story was muddled, the characters were not developed, and it seemed like there must have been a lot of important things that were skipped over or cut from the story. It left me wondering if it just wasn't hashed out enough or if film editing really messed up the movie- but we watched one of the deleted scenes and clearly saw why it was cut- Artemis came off as being awful in that scene. Definitely trying to have the Harry Potter feel, but missed the mark on that because of what felt like story gaps and lack of character development. That said--neither I, nor DD, have ever read the books. It seems like the people that really hate it are the book fans.
Yea I agree. It definitely has a massive budget for one but it was fine as a DCOM type film or something. Definitely think they were smart to put it on Disney+. Critics have panned it but think general audiences and families watching it on D+ will see it as being ok, just nothing great, but if we all had to pay to see it in theatres we'd be a lot harsher on it.
I do wonder as well if they just felt they could talk their way through a lot or if editing chopped the movie up so much like it did. The first 30-45 minutes were so choppy and jumping around. We now there was some stuff cut at least with the fairy in white from all of the trailers. To me the biggest hindrance of the film in addition to the poor editing was the lack of a real third act. The final battle seemed like something that would be the middle of the movie, and then not having any confrontation or encounter with the main villain killed the end. They just find the object and basically snap their fingers and have the dad home and everything wrapped up. Think it would have helped it greatly if they had to go rescue him.

I know lots have already watched Artemis Fowel, but if you can, before you watch the film, watch the latest episode of The Insider on Disney+ as the author is interviewed and they show some behind the scenes on the set of the film footage as well as some of the real life places which inspired the story.

I have never read the books so I know very little about Artemis Fowel. I did watch the latest Insider and saw all the behind the scenes and the interview with the author. That left me very curious and interested. So asking should I watch the movie or read the books first then decide on the movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter