• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

**DisVids - Come and Introduce Yourself and Meet Your Fellow UK Dissers**

Hello - my wife has suggested I join this site as we're doing 18 days in Disney this year (August) and you've been recommended as the best forum for info and advice.

Never been to Disney before so I'm excited about going but not as much as my wife (username sjt22).

I'm a Technical Manager of a theatre so Im pretty used to events and theatrics even fireworks! Though I don't think I can compete with Disney...

I'm looking forward to taking lots and lots of pictures and having some quality time with my wife.

Thanks

Jake

Hi Jake welcome to DISboards, enjoy your planning and ask anything you need to know.
What an interesting job, Technical Manager of a theatre, anywhere famous? we go as often as possible to the theatre, last was Dirty Dancing in Manchester 3 weeks ago, next one is Shrek the musical in London in 2 months, April next that is Sister Act in Leeds.

Hello, I had posted in the Welcome board yesterday and have just spotted the UK section, so thought I'd post here too.

I've spent about 12 hours over the last 3 days reading through various threads and can see that I'll be spending a lot more time here!!

We're planning our first trip to WDW end of May (missing the Jubilee) staying at POFQ for 12 nights - that's me, DH, DD 9 and DD 7. We've got a one week overlap with my brother and his family which will be great.

My Nan passed away last year and left me some money, so rather than save it I thought we should have a fab holiday. I think that this will probably be a once in a lifetime trip to Florida and we obviously want to make the most of our time and DDP whilst we're there.

So far I've picked up lots of tips and hope to learn loads more. We went to DLP about 4 years ago, but WDW is a completely different league!

Fay

Heya guys! I figured that I've been floating around for a while now, I should probably introduce myself!

Name: Hollie :)

Family: I live with my boyfriend Ben (a Disneyholic in the making) and our two 'furbabies' - our cats Tobin (slow, sleepy, huge and black) and Oscar (fast, playful, tiny and ginger). Other than my boys, I have three little girls that play a massive part in my life - my nieces, Daisy (13), Jasmine (10) and Chloe (8).

Occupation: I'm one of those pesky students. I'm half way through studying for a BA (HONS) in Politics. But, in addition to that I work in Customer Services for a rather well known high end retailer.

Home Town: Hereford... basically, think trees, cows and near Wales. But, I'm now settled in Manchester, or at least settled for the time being. Ben and I are planning on moving back to his home of Guernsey once I've graduated.

Favourite Resort/Attraction: This ones difficult because I've never been! I love old Disney. I adore the Disneyland Hotel in Paris - my idea of a dream resort!

Hobbies: I'm rarely seen without a camera in my hands - although my poor subjects are usually either my nieces or the cats :rotfl2: Does this site count as a hobby? I spend far too much of my time here! I also love swimming and being outdoors (not in the sun mind, I start to closely resemble a lobster after more than an hour in the sun!).

Likes and Dislikes: Dislikes first: Seaweed, the root bits you get on potatoes and anything with lots of legs. Likes: Cats, Disney and crumpets. And tea. And mash potato. And cheese. And strawberry bon bons. And hummous.

Favourite Animals: Cats! Quite partial to a nice dolphin too mind. Things that swim sort of scare me a little.

Disney Memory: Before my mother died, she took me to Disneyland Paris - I must have been only six or seven, but I can remember almost everything. In particular, I can remember running up and down Main Street and how magical everything felt, I don't think I have a happier memory from my childhood.

I took my nieces last year for their first ever holiday, and we went to Disneyland Paris... watching my 7 year old niece Chloe see Main Street for the first time and seeing the smile on her face... I couldn't have asked for a better reaction.

Disney Planning: We're in the middle of planning my dream holiday to Walt Disney World! I've been planning this since I can remember... When I was a little girl I was almost constantly grounded for calling the Disney premium rate phone number to order another promotional VHS video. I must have cost my mother an absolute fortune in phone bills!

So yes... I'm finally doing it! We're currently looking at 13/15 days at OKW in a 1bd Villa, and then 7 days in an offsite villa! I'm so excited I could cry. We're just waiting for dates, offers and prices to be released for next year and then we can officially book!

We've decided to take our nieces, because I know how badly I wanted to go when I was their age, and I don't want them to miss out on this. Plus, as excited as I am, I think seeing their excitement when we're there will trump everything!

.... Oh gosh! What an essay! Hope you survived it!

Hollie xxx

Had great fun reading all these mini biogs, putting names to faces etc.

NAME Clare

FAMILY I am married to Scott and we have two children, Ella (13) and Billy(10), one dog called Molly and a rescue cat called Rose.

JOBS Scott is a Sales Manager in the Manufacturing Industry, and I work part time at John Lewis.

MY ROOTSI come from Liverpool but now live up*the M56 in Greater Manchester.

HOBBIES Don't really have time for any, between ferrying the kids between swimming club, football and athletics. I do try and get out a do a bit of power walking. We are a big football family with Scott supporting Man Utd, Billy Blackpool and me Liverpool, Ella loathes the sport (poor thing).

FAVOURITE RESORT/ATTRACTION At the moment its the Beach and Yacht Club, but with many more yet to stay in that might well change. I love EPCOT and Magic Kingdom, and my favourite ride is SOARIN.

DISNEY MEMORY I surprised Scott with a Disney holiday when we were going out(well i had to make sure he liked it before i committed!)we stayed at All Star Sports, but unfortunately we had to come home after 5 days because my dad was taken serious ill.Also waking the kids up at 5am saying they're not going to school today, they're going to Disney instead was unforgettable.

DISNEY PLANNING Our whole life is consumed with Disney planning. It gets us through the bad days.The discovery if the DIS boards has transformed the entire planning experience. I have found out so much, and still am. THANK YOU:love:

Seeing as I'm a newbie, here's my contribution :)

Real name: Louise..not April like my username might suggest! That's just when we make our 1st ever trip!!!!

Family: Been with my partner Marcus for 18 & half years and still not tied the knot!!!! Have a 4 yr old son called Kade.

Occupation: Bit of a rags to riches tale really! 8 years ago was on the verge of bankruptcy nearly losing our home. Lost our car and was living well & truly on the breadline! An internet website that was originally a hobby for me ended up turning into a business which snowballed into a very profitable concern.
We now lease our business to another company whilst doing bits & bobs of other projects.

Home town: Originally grew up in the sticks but now live happily nr Poulton-Le-Fylde, Lancs.

Hobbies: Planning holidays :laughing:

Can't comment on fave's at Disney as not been yet (not long to go!!)

xx

Family: Married to Dave (16 years!), Daughter Erin (12)

Occupation: Maths teacher, plus I manage primary to secondary transition for the school and keep a caring eye on the year 7s

Hometown: Grew up in SE London, now live on the SW London/Surrey border.

Favourite park: Epcot, which was my least favourite until last August! (2011)

Favourite resort: The Poly

Favourite attraction: Soarin’, Big Thunder Mountain, Peter Pan

Hobbies: When I find the time, scrapbooking although I still haven’t made a start on last year’s trip! Also video editing (doing better with that) and loitering on the internet.

Disney history: First trip in 1995 for our honeymoon staying at Port Orleans (now POFQ), popped in for a few days in 2000 (POFQ) and 2001 (Wilderness Lodge). Disneyland Paris on numerous occasions between 2003-2011. We had always planned a dream trip with our daughter in the summer holidays between her year 6 and year 7, which we took last August. Two weeks at the Polynesian on deluxe dining…it was better than we could ever have imagined, so we’re now planning (and saving!) for a return trip in 2013.

Have to apologise as I have been lurking on the boards enjoying all the trip reports and plans for a little while, so, here’s a belated hello!

Welcome to all new members, great to have you here.:goodvibes

On our first visit in 1993 Epcot was our least fave park, now enjoy it a lot.

Nothing wrong with lurking but even better if you join in :thumbsup2

Lordy...don’t think I have done this yet!! Here goes...

NAME: Vanda

FAMILY: Married to Gary:lovestruc for 18 years, no kids, just two hamsters instead!

OCCUPATION: Part time for NHS in Frimley Park Hospital as a clinic co-ordinator but spent 20 years at Barclays Bank and 10 years at an insurance company where I was a finance administrator
DH is a Civil Servant (would have to kill you if I told you what he does):laughing:

HOME TOWN: Camberley Surrey

FAV RESORT: Port Orleans Riverside. Find it very relaxing, very beautiful, never feels busy, has lots of pools and a good food court. Also loved Wilderness Lodge but thought the transport let that one down a tad.

FAV PARK: Difficult one but I suppose it has to be Epcot. Love all the different restaurants and also that you can nip out to the boardwalk or just catch a boat to Hollywood Studio’s

FAV ATTRACTRACTIONS: Soarin, and I know this is a strange one but The Carousel of Progress.

HOBBIES: USED to be a sky diver, go ski-ing a lot, horse riding BUT now all my time seems to be spent doing our house up. We nip into London a lot for shows, shopping, exhibitions etc but always glad to get back out of town. Oh and def will not be doing sky diving anymore as DH will not allow it as three of my friends died!!!

LIKES: Disney (surprise surprise), music (most kinds but not Jazz), art, country pubs and history.

DISLIKES: Flying (hence would rather be jumping out of planes then sitting in them):rotfl:, MCO immigration line, housework, going to the cinema in the UK. Can I just add a HATE here as well? Going to Disney with the in-laws:scared1: (that was a bad experience, kids were brilliant but the adults were horrific!!!!!)

AND AT THE MOMENT: currently planning our September trip and wondering if DH is going to be ok to walk miles as due for first hip replacement this Saturday and second hip replacement 8 weeks later...(this second one may be put off until after hols)....he is young for this op and hence the consultant thinks he will recover quite quickly..we shall see!!!!!!

Oh and def will not be doing sky diving anymore as DH will not allow it as three of my friends died!!!

Somthing I have wanted to do for years, almost did it in Vegas but DW threaten to kill me if I broke a limb halfway thru our holiday.:rotfl2:
You are not filling me with confidence to try it. Was it 3 seperate accidents?

Somthing I have wanted to do for years, almost did it in Vegas but DW threaten to kill me if I broke a limb halfway thru our holiday.:rotfl2:
You are not filling me with confidence to try it. Was it 3 seperate accidents?

I think its something you should try at least once in your life...it prob won't be the last thing you do:rotfl:

It was two seperate accidents...
1. My friend Mick jumped from about 10,000 ft and it was at a time when hard helmets were not worn in the uk (generally are still used in USA) and somebody smashed into him, made him unconscious, so he therefore could not hear the buzz of his alarm (which you set to a certain height) to open his parachute and he just fell straight down and that was that.

2&3. Phil and Mike...Mike was the pilot and Phil (an instructor) had just taken some jumpers up, they had all jumped when Mike said there was a problem with the plane and Phil had to get out asap and he would do an emergancy landing. Phil jumped and opened his parachute straight away because they were not very high, it got tangled around the tail of the plane and bought it down, so that was the end of them too.

I did one more jump after that in their memory and that was that! Everybody hated me doing it..

BUT this is a rare thing and our club was just unlucky. If you really want to do it just do it. It will be a tandom jump in the USA and you will LOVE it..

I don't like flying either though once I am up I calm down a little, would feel better if a parachute was on bored so I had the option of jumping out :rotfl:

You will be in disney the same time as us and we are in POFQ :)

I don't like flying either though once I am up I calm down a little, would feel better if a parachute was on bored so I had the option of jumping out :rotfl:

You will be in disney the same time as us and we are in POFQ :)

Must admit I'd rather have a parachute then a rubber dinghy!
I am also OK once I am up there but if we hit turbulence then I am a wreck:scared1:

LOVE POFQ..:thumbsup2

Home Town: Grimsby - North East Lincolnshire

:offtopic:
I got my bottom stuck in a tyre swing in Grimsby around the age of 9 I think it was..:rotfl2:
Was visiting an aunts very old friend who owned the sweet shop/newsagents there....Can still see the field where the swing was and the shop all dark as it was closed due to being a sunday and all those yummy sweetie jars!

Kate 38, Fiance Adam 31 DS 11 and DD 3...Fuzz the cat 7 ...we are off to our first WDW trip next May (not fuzz) (adam went when he was 12) we have been to DLP in January for DD's 3rd birthday and DS has been 4 times since he was 2.

I just do Administration for my partners Surveying business at the moment as I got made redundant when DD was 3 weeks olds, & it's been nice to be home with her all this time..though more tiring and harder work than work work at times, I think I will go back to other work (Tech Administrator/Customer service/ or alike) when DD goes to full time school....maybe....or maybe go do an Interior design course...we'll see :-)

I am originally from Liverpool but moved -'darn souf' when I was 13 had a stint back there from 19ish to 27ish then moved back to Hertfordshire....have now settled in Surrey with Adam, we're getting married next June in Siesta Key after 15 days in Orlando..so next year is super exciting for us...we can't wait! We are staying 5 nights at the Poly on DXDP (we will NOT eat all that food but we're doing a few dinner shows & 2 TS restaurants etc so it worked out cheaper to do DXDP) then onto a private villa where my Mum will be joining us on day 7 & my sister with her clan and adams dad & his wife and then adams brother too....we then go to Siesta Key on day 15 and some friends are also joining us, we get married on June 4th and then are having another week of relaxation there before flying home! We will get a one night honeymoon...but we'll owe ourselves a decent one for when the kids are both older..:-)

We used to love festivals (especially Glasto) but since DD it's not as easy to leave 2 kids for a long weekend and then a few days recovery with grandparents/aunts..though we did have an aunt booked in for next year then realised it's only 3 weeks after florida so we can't afford it as Adam will need to get back to making money straight away after a month off!!
I enjoy yoga (red hot particularly) boot camp style fitness and swimming...though I don't do much of it....a)time b)bad kness...I read a lot and love films & a lot of sky atlantic programmes.... I drive the kids to their swimming/diving/ballet/gymnastics...great fun!

I can't wait for Discovery Cove, Seaworld and IOA (for WWOHP) (oh we are doing one night at universal too...mid trip...) but I also can't wait for EVERYTHING else....:yay::yay::yay:

*pokes head in shyly* I've already introduced myself somewhere on the DIS, but I didn't see this forum!

Family: My mum and dad

Occupation: Driving my parents insane, eating junk food and sleeping.

Favourite park: Magic Kingdom!

Favourite resort: Never stayed onsite at Disney, but my favourite Universal resort is the Royal Pacific.

Favourite attraction: It would be easier to list what I DON'T like!

Favourite restaurant: Cheesecake Factory, Sweet Tomatoes

Favourite characters: Pooh, Eeyore, Mickey

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter