Do You Consider Yourself a Feminist?

Do You Consider Yourself a Feminist?

• Yes

• No

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there an actual list of the rights men are allowed that women are not on there?

You're gonna have to do some reading to educate yourself, but the gist of it is that women are NOT equal (in all states) in terms of employment equality, property rights, divorce rights, reproductive rights, and protections from sexual harrassment, among other things. 12 states have still not ratified the ERA, making America STILL not a country where men and women have fully equal rights.

https://www.equalrightsamendment.org/the-equal-rights-amendment

It's a hard no for me. I want equality for ALL human beings, not just specifically "women". The definition of gender either of the two sexes of male & female is outdated. As long as gender is used as binary, only 2 separate forms of masculine & feminine, we will never see change and inequality will only continue. Gender should be non-binary, fluid, & equal for all. We shouldn't have to identify our gender for equal rights and we should all coexist as one.
This is a very interesting perspective. Thank you for sharing. I identify as a feminist but also agree with everything you said. Food for thought.

I understand. Maybe I'm totally misreading your post but one can be against misogyny without being a feminist right?

Sure, why not?

For the record, I happen to believe many more men are against misogyny than are in favor of it or practice it.

You're gonna have to do some reading to educate yourself, but the gist of it is that women are NOT equal (in all states) in terms of employment equality, property rights, divorce rights, reproductive rights, and protections from sexual harrassment, among other things. 12 states have still not ratified the ERA, making America STILL not a country where men and women have fully equal rights.

https://www.equalrightsamendment.org/the-equal-rights-amendment

Got it, you aren't willing to list specifics.

Platitudes aren't really helpful. Not sure what you're hoping to accomplish as most here are giving honest, thoughtful responses.

I don't actually think the comment is a platitude.

I think it's simply someone's opinion of what they're reading. I don't think it's fair to disparage it by implying it's not honest or thoughtful, or label it in a negative way simply because you disagree with it.

I don't actually think the comment is a platitude.

I think it's simply someone's opinion of what they're reading. I don't think it's fair to disparage it by implying it's not honest or thoughtful, or label it in a negative way simply because you disagree with it.

Person said this thread is terrifying without so much as an explanation. While it may be that person's honest reply, it sure as hell isn't thoughtful.

Wow, yeah, that's some pretty crazy right there. No one I know irl who would say they are a feminist has any view remotely like that.

What it boils down to for me, is, ask yourself the following question:. "Would I be angry if the right for women to vote (in a location where we have that right obviously) was taken away?"

Yes I would be angry = feminist
No I would be fine with that = not feminist

Person said this thread is terrifying without so much as an explanation. While it may be that person's honest reply, it sure as hell isn't thoughtful.

To be fair, you labeled their comment several things it's not. Wouldn't that also disqualify your comment as being considered thoughtful?

I don't see what's wrong with someone expressing their feelings. They don't have to meet your approval, my approval or anyone else's approval -- they're free to feel as they feel and express them.

I believe in equal rights but I do not believe in "feminism." Unfortunately, in today's society, that word has become something far different than its original intent. This is coming from a Millennial who grew up in a very liberal state, mind you.

To be fair, you labeled their comment several things it's not. Wouldn't that also disqualify your comment as being considered thoughtful?

I don't see what's wrong with someone expressing their feelings. They don't have to meet your approval, my approval or anyone else's approval -- they're free to feel as they feel and express them.

Nobody said they're not free to feel as they feel. I'm also entitled to feel and express how I feel about someone else's feelings. And to label this thread as terrifying is laughable.

Nobody said they're not free to feel as they feel. I'm also entitled to feel and express how I feel about someone else's feelings. And to label this thread as terrifying is laughable.

I understand. Women are accustomed to having their feelings and their thoughts minimized, questioned, disparaged, ridiculed, ignored and sometimes appropriated by men in positions of power. It's actually frequently a very serious issue in relation to medical treatment and advancements and can have a negative impact on women's health.

Yes, feminist. DH is as well. Believe and advocate for equality regardless of gender.

A few years ago, when I was teaching in a University, I taught a course called “the Social Dimensions of Science”. The class included interesting topics like the public’s perception of science, ethics, and also women’s under representation in science, math, engineering, computer science etc.

I learned and researched a ton about feminism and gender bias, and one interesting article I found was by a transgendered man named Ben Barres who wrote about his experiences as a scientist from both perspectives, as a man and a woman. A few things he mentioned was that as a women he was often disregarded or discredited in conferences and meetings, whereas as a man his same ideas were considered brilliant or at least taken seriously. I’ll attach the article for anyone interested in reading his story. I taught the class some time ago, so the article is older. It’s still relevant and well-written.

https://www.nature.com/scitable/content/does-gender-matter-by-ben-a-barres-10602856

I understand. Women are accustomed to having their feelings and their thoughts minimized, questioned, disparaged, ridiculed, ignored and sometimes appropriated by men in positions of power. It's actually frequently a very serious issue in relation to medical treatment and advancements and can have a negative impact on women's health.

I'm disagreeing with this particular poster's comments/feelings. If that's mean, well, too bad. They will have to put their big girl pants on.

I'm disagreeing with this particular poster's comments/feelings. If that's mean, well, too bad. They will have to put their big girl pants on.

I really couldn't care less if you're mean on the internet, and it's great that you're proud of that I guess, but you don't get to disagree with my feelings. They're mine. I suppose you can disagree with the comment. I didn't know it was required to expand on every comment on this thread. I hope you go back and quote everyone else's short comments and tell them to as well. Would you like to share your other community board rules that I'm not aware of so I can make sure I follow them?

What I find "laughable" is the idea that you think I would have to put on my "big girl pants" about something you said. :rotfl:

Last edited:

They haven't even commented and I'm sure they won't let it bother them -- hardly worthy of big girl pants.

If your concern is truly that their statement of feeling didn't add value to the conversation, what value did you add by simply disparaging their feelings without adding any thoughts of your own to the discussion?

Since everything is so equal, can you name a single law that regulates a males body that doesn’t include females? Not even having to do with reproduction, any subject.

Registering for the draft? Not sure if that is what it is still called...but I sure as hell didn't have to do it "because I am a woman".

Would love for it to be mandatory across the board, or volunteer-only. Why are only men "forced"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter