Do you ever take your Nanny or Babysitter with you?

TravelingJen24

DVC Member
I am thinking about for the first time, taking my children's babysitter with us on our WDW vaca so that we don't have to do all the work. My son will just turn 4 and my daughter will almost be 2. I spend time with the babysitter now, like lunch and talking when we get home, but am not sure about going cross country. I think it would work out, but need some feedback from my fellow disers. TIA!

Could you get her her own room? That way you could set up a schedule of when you'd need her, and when she would be "on her own".

Get ready for some lively debate on this one! In the past several years, we have had live-in au pairs that have come to the United States on cultural exchange programs from other countries. We have taken them with us to WDW on several occasions. We generally have gotten 2 BR villas, and the au pair shared the second bedroom with our two DDs. It may work well if you are clear about when the nanny will be working, and when she will have time off (which I think is important). You will also want to be clear about how much she will be paid during the trip and what you will and will not pay for during the trip (we paid for the room, transportation, park tickets and all meals, plus her regular salary). Both of the au pairs that went with us (we did not bring one of them, because we thought it just would not work with that particular person) really enjoyed the experience, and were also great helps with the kids, both while we were running around the parks, and in the evenings when DH and I wanted to get out by ourselves.

I think that your decision will be based on how well you get along with your nanny, and how well she interacts with your family. Once you decide to do it, have a plan, and make sure that she knows what the deal is. Have fun!

I found this thread interesting. My sister is expecting twins in October and has a trip planned to WDW in February. Besides for the twins, she has a five year old daugther. She was thinking about bringing a nanny along with them on the trip. Right now she is looking at hotel rooms but I suggested that she consider a 2 bedroom villa for the space and the washing machine! ;)

I've brought Nanny before. In fact,we brought Nanny Natalie with us in November. We also paid for her 5 year old son to come with us. It was so much fun. My daughter said that having Christian with us "made the trip" and she was absolutely right.
On our 4th day,I was sick with a stomach bug and was I glad Natalie was with me. She took my DD and her friend along with Christain to the parks for 2 days while I stayed in bed.
We had an ewxecutive suite at the Dolphin which made it nice. Natalie,Christian and I had one room and my daughter and her friend had the other one. The price was great with a AAA discount.

I am thinking about for the first time, taking my children's babysitter with us on our WDW vaca so that we don't have to do all the work. My son will just turn 4 and my daughter will almost be 2. I spend time with the babysitter now, like lunch and talking when we get home, but am not sure about going cross country. I think it would work out, but need some feedback from my fellow disers. TIA!
NO-our nanny spends enough time with my kids when we are working. Vacation time is family time for me.

A surprising number of guests do.
Generally speaking, from what I've seen, they get the nanny/aupair/babysitter their own room and generally don't expect them to care fo the children 24/7.

HTH

Wow...interesting thought. I would not consider it...I am not flaming you at all, please understand. It just literally would never cross my mind as we crave this time with our kids (ages 4, 6, and 7 and have been taking them since they were much younger). But then again, we do not have a nanny either, so I don't have a relationship like this.

Yes, it can be tiring keeping an eye on them in crowds all day...but then we have our DVC villa! Seriously, this is what makes the difference for us. We can put them to bed at a reasonable hour in one room and then DH and I can stay up and have some wine and adult time in another room.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

We don't have a nanny that lives with us, but rather she is my child's preschool teacher that watches him on the side. She has never been able to experience trips like this and I thought that we both may be winning. My main reason for bringing her is that we have an 18 month old that will not be able to enjoy all that my son will and I don't want my husband or myself to have to wait behind so that we can go do things with the older. Plus I want to be able to just spend time at the pool also. I don't work full time, so it isn't like I don't see my kids, and I don't think that it is much different then families who bring grandparents with the major thought that they can babysit. Thanks for everyone's input, I have found it useful.

I have a story for you Jen about travelling with a babysitter/nanny. Went on a NYE cruise with my parents, have no clue why this family brought the babysitter(college age or perhaps senior in high school) as the kids were 8 yrs old and up. Cruise lines usually have activities for kids(like a kids dinner during "formal" nights) The eldest was the same age as my jr high school sister(so they hung out together and my mom and the other mom got pretty friendly for the 10 day trip.)

Well the mother said that would be the last time she ever did that. Babysitter got sunburned stayed up late, whined the kids woke her up and was never to be found when she was needed. Guess she didn't tell her what her duties were for the trip.

I just read this thread and the "lobster red babysitter" saga came to mind.

Thanks, I would not be happy to say the least, especially on a cruise where it is sooooo expensive to just get them a room.

I think some folks definition of "family" vacation is very different from mine. I guess I'm just showing my age, but we would not have thought about bringing our babysitter with us on vacation. It's a different world these days, that's for sure.

I don't understand why you would post something that appeared so condensending. (Sorry if spelled incorrect). Just because we bring someone along does not preclude it from being a family trip. I just would like an extra set of hands. It's not to say that my husband and I couldn't do it ourselves because we have for three trips to WDW, but it would be nice to have one nice dinner after the kids are in bed, or be able to give our oldest a little more attention when needed and vice versa. What makes that not a family trip? Would it be better if we went without a babysitter and had no time to ourselves? Does it make it more of a family trip if the entire things revolves around them and being busy every second in rearing them? Sorry for the hostility, but I ddin't expect someone to make me feel like I was short changing my family in their vacation.

Sorry for the hostility, but I ddin't expect someone to make me feel like I was short changing my family in their vacation.

Remember that know one can make you feel anything. You wanted opinions and some have given theirs.

Anyway, the choice is really yours. We would never take a babysitter, but it goes against our entire belief system regarding family time etc. However, have you spoken to your Dh to see what he thinks? Could a grandparent come instead? We took my MIL this past Jan. because she has never been to WDW. The trip was magical and the boys loved showing grandma around.

Jen- I don't think that the poster was being condescending to you. He was just pointing out his view, which was different from yours.

I had an outside living 'nanny' for my two kids. I wouldn't have thought of taking her on vacation with us either. For us, the trip is ours as a "family". We enjoy taking the time to do things with the kids uninteruppted by real life. We don't take time out to do just adult things without them on our family vacations. We can do that back at home when the sitter is available to us. That's our way.

Your way may very well be different. Whatever you decide about this trip....I hope it works out well for you.

Every family is different.

A few years ago I went with a large group which included a dear friend of mine and her two small children, her brother, his dear friend and their small children, plus a few assorted others. 'Nanny' was invited along, primarily to look after one family's children, but also assisted with the other (total 1 baby and 2 small children)

There were times on the trip when Nanny came along; other times she didn't. We had dinner in smaller groups, as well as the entire group.

Every family is different, as I stated above. Often cultural aspects come into play as well. We had 3 different nationalities in the group, not including Nanny. One was a family from Asia, another an expat family living in Asia. Plus a German... very mixed group.

Having spent many years as a nanny myself, I considered it a mark of respect from the family when they invited me along to intimate gatherings or vacations. I learned a lot about the Jewish tradition from one family, who included me in their holiday celebrations.

Every family is different.... wait, did I already say that?! ;)

reading back through the replies, I also think that the term 'nanny' is incorrectly confused with 'babysitter'. Often a nanny is a live in position, as is an au pair. The contact with the family is much more intimate in this situation than 15 year old Suzie from down the street who may babysit once or twice a week.

And in some families, Nanny is around until the child is in their teens. I know many British and Asian adults who consider Nanny a member of the family.

I find it interesting when someone posts that they are looking for opinions and when they get one that doesn't confirm their thoughts they get mad. :confused3

i don't have a nanny for our daughter but we do live with my parents so i know extra hands would come in handy but for us when we go away it is just us. it is our time to be together.

bringing a nanny or not doesn't detract from it being a family vacation - because, afterall, you are a family. guess some people here think that it's one thing to have someone help you at home when you're at work but if you are on vacation why would you need help with your own kids :confused3 - i don't know - everyone's different - do what you think is best for your family.

I agree that the other person was not intentionally being hostile or rude...just posting his opinion.

This is a loaded topic, Jen, as it is going to bring up the overtones of the whole SAHM vs. working mom and child care/nanny issue for some (even though that is not what you asked...the post will drift in that direction just by the nature of the discussion).

It is YOUR vacation and only YOU (and DH, of course) can decide what is right for you and your family. As I said in my earlier post, the whole point of DVC for us was that we feel like we CAN have some private adult time. We get those tuckered out little critters of ours in BED and then we stay up and actually have an adult, uninterrupted discussion!

Of course, if you want to go out to a special dinner or something, there are the clubs for your kids to go (like the Sand Castle club at BCV). And while these are definitely pricey, it has to be cheaper than bringing an whole extra person with you. So maybe that is another option for you to consider as well. There are tons of reports and reviews of the various centers and babysitting services here on the DIS.

So far, I don't see any flames here...just opinions. Hopefully everyone will continue to be respectful. But again, this topic can get heated...and fast!

Only you can know what is right for your family. If your babysitter is all for going and helping out then I do not see the problem with it. How is it different from the people that bring grandma along just to watch the kids? Oh right Grandma doesn't get paid to do it.

Good luck with whatever you decided and have a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter