Do you ever take your Nanny or Babysitter with you?

She keeps telling me that she would love to travel to WDW with them, and show their daughter all the rides and attractions that she loves so much.

ahhh...yes... the fun part of WDW :)

One of my au pairs went to WDW with another au pair and her host family. The host family only had the au pairs stay with the children during afternoon nap and when they wanted grown up dinners. The au pairs couldn't bring the children into the park b/c that was something special that the parents wanted to save for themselves.

DisDee: Your daughter sounds like a great nanny. I'm sure she would do a fab job of touring the parks with her charges! But remember if her family is going to WDW for vacation purposes, they may have something else in mind. (Or maybe not...just wanted to throw the above scenario out there).

I liked that one bavaria...

Jen:

I started to write along email about my experience occasionally traveling with an au pair. But I've cut it short to this:

I've brought 2 au pairs to the shore for beach vacations (along with my parents and bro, etc). It was nice to have an extra set of hands and I loved that 2 or 3 times I left my DS and DD with the au pair and got to go to a real grown up dinner and know the kids were with someone I can trust. Although we probably won't have the opportunity, I would consider bringing an au pair on a beach vacation again. (Things are very laid back. We mostly just hang out at the beach or take a nap). Au pair can come with us or take time to herself, but it's relatively low stress (well...as low stress as any trip with my impulsive DS). And it's low additional cost to us...just some extra food...

Although our au pairs are great, when DH and I are around, our children prefer us. (Strangely, even tho' I've worked part time (and DH full time) since they were born, they still know we are mommy and daddy). Even when your sitter is there, you will probably have a hard time relaxing b/c your kids probably won't let you. (If you are at the pool with your sitter, your kids will likely continually come to you even if super attentive sitter is there).

If you bring your younger DD to MK or another WDW park with older DS and then try to have sitter deal with her when you go on rides...Well, I'll tell you my younger DD would pitch a fit we got on a line with older DS and said "[au pair] is taking you to Toon Town." She wants to be with Mommy and Daddy and older DS. (my kids are 22 mos. apart). How do you expect to handle that type of situation? (Of course it would great if she could take your DD when she naps in a stroller and you could be off with DS...).

On a more active vacation I found it harder b/c I had to consider the au pair's needs too. (I know...how annoying...;) ) Is she having a good time? Did she get to go on the ride she wanted? If you are anyone who likes your au pair/nanny/sitter enough to bring on vacation, these will be things you think about.

We are planning a trip to Disney sans au pair (we are not getting another and we have a 4 yo DS and 2 yo DD). I know it will be very hard for me to leave my children at a kids club. Both my DS and DD have a hard time adjusting to new people/places in short time spans, so I expect that we will not have any real adult time. I'm sure there will be at least one or two times during the trip where everything is so difficult that I will regret not bringing an extra set of hands. (As I'm typing this I'm having a night mare just thinking of DS wandering off...:sad2: it's happened and it's terrifying).

Sorry for the tome...just my thoughts...

Amy, we have used "kid-clubs" at non-WDW resorts and been very happy with them. My youngest(5) one loves going to them, it's like a "kiddie cocktail/dinner party" for him. The 10 yr old has fun but wishes he didn't have to go(always complains about the food). We usually use the clubs for "adult dinners" and maybe that is once during a week long trips.

Amy, we have used "kid-clubs" at non-WDW resorts and been very happy with them. My youngest(5) one loves going to them, it's like a "kiddie cocktail/dinner party" for him. The 10 yr old has fun but wishes he didn't have to go(always complains about the food). We usually use the clubs for "adult dinners" and maybe that is once during a week long trips.

Starr that sounds great. Your children are a little older than mine (currently 4 and 2). Would you describe either of your children as unusually shy or requiring longer than typical times to adapt to new situations? What's the adult child ratio at the kids clubs? (My children will feel very insecure and scared if I drop them off at a new place without an adult who can engage them into the new environment and ease the transition.) I know we all have to face this with varying degrees...but my kids (esp. the older one) varies a little more than typical into the shy/anxious arena.

Starr that sounds great. Your children are a little older than mine (currently 4 and 2). Would you describe either of your children as unusually shy or requiring longer than typical times to adapt to new situations? What's the adult child ratio at the kids clubs? (My children will feel very insecure and scared if I drop them off at a new place without an adult who can engage them into the new environment and ease the transition.) I know we all have to face this with varying degrees...but my kids (esp. the older one) varies a little more than typical into the shy/anxious arena.

My youngest was 2 when we first used the clubs(he cried, but knowing he's the big phony, he stopped 2 seconds after we left, one of the girls called to let us know). That resort allowed non-potty trained kids! :banana: This one goes to the park sees another kid and introduces himself and starts to play(did that over at FW waiting for HDDR).

My eldest, who has Asperger's Syndrome(Autism spectrum) goes and while he doesn't play much with other kids, usually makes friends with the staff(will be told what a nice boy he is) and plays by himself or with one other kid.

Of course with the Aspie, transitions have always been a problem. It's gotten better with age, but he knows what the schedule is, I never drop something unexpected on him.

Jen,you need to do what you think is best for your family. I think of Natalie as another family member and it's hard to imagine taking a trip w/out her-she's like my older daughter. In no way did having her on the trip detract from family time. In fact,as I posted previously,she really helped to save the trip for my daughter because I was sick.
When we went skiing in February,my husband was able to come with us and he said that he thought Nat and Christian would love to come skiing with us next year. I think it's a great idea and Natalie was thrilled when we discussed it with her.
Every family is different and what works for you may not work for me and vice versa.

Jen, I've done it on every trip I've taken to WDW post-children. I didn't really start out planning to take help on every trip, but it has worked out that way. The first year I took my daughter, who autistic and non-verbal, I planned to take one of the college girls who was working as a therapist. I planned on taking her because the clinic director where my daughter was being served told me many of the families reported their children having difficulties in WDW due to the over stimulation and lack of routine.

I really wanted to take my child to Disney and did every possible thing I could think of to make the trip work. I booked a 2BR villa at OKW (through CRO :scared1: , had no idea about DVC or renting points) so she would have some space to decompress and so we would have a kitchen for her very picky eating habits. I mentioned at a therapy team meeting that I was planning on taking the trip and I would like one of them to go so she could have a short therapy session each day. Our thinking was if we preserved some of her routine, she would be more comfortable and feel more secure. Long story short, all three of the girls wanted to go. The therapy is performed in our home, so we were quite accustomed to having them around so we figured, why not?

It was really more help than we needed, but the girls had a great time. They all told me they especially enjoyed watching my daughter who was having a blast. She did so well, we didn't even need to have a session while there. The most "therapy" they had to do was some sensory things while waiting in line or back at the villa.

Since that first trip, it has become a tradition for the therapists to go. We don't require any of them to go with us, but they really look forward to it. They started planning this year's trip on the ride back home from the last trip. It is wonderful to have the help and it gives DH and I a chance to have a grown-up dinner or two, something we rarely do at home.

All in all it has worked very well for us and all parties are happy, including the children. They get a chance for some individual attention from parents who normally have to divide it three ways.

I don't understand why you would post something that appeared so condensending.

I'm sorry if I came across as condensending. I really didn't mean to be. I was just stating my opinion. You have to understand my kids are now 27 and 32. We never had nannys. We didn't use babysitters much either. We usually took our kids with us or we didn't go out. My wife did work but for day care we left our children with someone who kept multiple children in their house. When we did use a babysitter it was just a local teenager for a special night out like an anniversary or something. It just never would have crossed my mind to take a babysitter on vacation with us. If we did anything it might would have been to leave our children behind for a long weekend with relatives. Sorry again if my post offended you.

If you consider your babysitter family, than why is this even a question?
Why would you leave a family member behind? :)

MG

This post seems a bit out of character from other posts of yours I have read, MG. Based on a prior post, I'd say this appears to be a sensitive subject for you, but this was an unfair shot, IMO. We have plenty of family members, but that doesn't mean I take ALL of them along when we vacation, and I suspect you don't take ALL of you family, either. Well, maybe you do, but I know we cannot afford to, even if we wanted to do so.

As to the OP's post re: using the kids clubs, the children must be at least 4 yrs old (is there a max age too?) and potty trained, so it won't work for everyone. The option of in-room sitting IS there, but many people would (understandably) feel more comfortable with a known care provider rather than a stranger, no matter how qualified that stranger may be.

I recently learned that the Fairy Godmothers (maybe just some?) will accompany you to the parks, etc if you want - there services are not limited to care "in your absence". This could be a good alternative, providing that "extra set of hands" when necessary as well as allowing everyone to get to know one another a bit before deciding whether to also leave the child with the caregiver for a few hours of "grownup time sharing".

And, Jen, if you decide to bring along a caregiver, my guess is a trip to WDW shared with that caregiver will bring many more priceless family memories than would the alternative of staying home should the trip be too overwhelming without help. IMO, a trip to WDW is many things, but neither "simple" nor "restful" comes to mind as adjectives!

My youngest was 2 when we first used the clubs(he cried, but knowing he's the big phony, he stopped 2 seconds after we left, one of the girls called to let us know). That resort allowed non-potty trained kids! :banana: This one goes to the park sees another kid and introduces himself and starts to play(did that over at FW waiting for HDDR)....

OK, so maybe my info is wrong? I have been told that all WDW kids clubs have a min age of 4, and require potty training. Am I mistaken in this? If so, which club/clubs?

Thanks -

Here's a link with the child care at WDW info:
http://allearsnet.com/pl/childfaq.htm
kdzgon
You are right, it is 4yo and potty trained.

As to the OP's original question, no we have never done that. Luckily we never felt the need to. Our kids are almost 5 years apart, for a reason!;) LOL If I had kids close in age, or one with special needs, I would certainly consider taking an extra set of hands! I am a SAHM and my kids do not have a babysitter, other than my mom and she watches them maybe once every other month. But when we go in a few days I have booked them at one of the kids clubs to give DH and I some time alone. Yes it's a family vacation, but I am with them 24/7 and we go away at least 4 times a year with them. A little time away from us is good for them too! My BFF just had triplets and a 4yo and plans to go to WDW around their 1st bday. I would think she would be crazy not to bring an extra pair of hands!! I say if you can afford it and have a need for it then do it!

This post seems a bit out of character from other posts of youre I have read, MG. Based on a prior post, I'd say this appears to be a sensitive subject for you, but this was an unfair shot, IMO. We have plenty of family members, but that doesn't mean I take ALL of them along when we vacation, and I suspect you don't take ALL of you family, either. Well, maybe you do, but I know we cannot afford to, even if we wanted to do so.
I think you're right, kdzgon. Perhaps it is out of character for me. I certainly didn't want to come accross as offensive, and I tried to lighten it up with the smiley thing. I guess my inner feelings came through.
I do understand different families work differently, and there is no true right or wrong here.
It's just tough for me to understand the other viewpoint. I mean, here we are trying to have kids. My wife is sad about that, as she is approaching the critcal age.
So, looking at it from my perspective I just can't imagine someone taking a Disney vacation and wanting time away from their kids. I think "pool time" were the words used. A Disney run kid's club for a nice adult dinner... no problem at all with that. And a vacation to the Caribbean, or Europe, I can also understand a sitter in those situations. I just have a tough time understanding a sitter for your kids while at Walt Disney World.
Perhaps the inability to understand it is one of my own shortcomings.

Honestly, neither this post nor my others were meant to offend, belittle, or challenge any other posters parenting practices. I'm sure they are doing what's best for their family.

That doesn't mean I understand it, or agree with it.
But than again, I'm confused how anyone can be a Yankees fan either. :teeth:

I should have gone with my first instinct, and kept my trap shut in this thread.. :guilty:

MG

I think you're right, kdzgon. Perhaps it is out of character for me. I certainly didn't want to come accross as offensive, and I tried to lighten it up with the smiley thing. I guess my inner feelings came through.
I do understand different families work differently, and there is no true right or wrong here.
It's just tough for me to understand the other viewpoint. I mean, here we are trying to have kids. My wife is sad about that, as she is approaching the critcal age.
So, looking at it from my perspective I just can't imagine someone taking a Disney vacation and wanting time away from their kids. I think "pool time" were the words used. A Disney run kid's club for a nice adult dinner... no problem at all with that. And a vacation to the Caribbean, or Europe, I can also understand a sitter in those situations. I just have a tough time understanding a sitter for your kids while at Walt Disney World.
Perhaps the inability to understand it is one of my own shortcomings.

Honestly, neither this post nor my others were meant to offend, belittle, or challenge any other posters parenting practices. I'm sure they are doing what's best for their family.

That doesn't mean I understand it, or agree with it.
But than again, I'm confused how anyone can be a Yankees fan either. :teeth:

I should have gone with my first instinct, and kept my trap shut in this thread.. :guilty:

MG

I can understand you not understanding. It is hard to see what you perceive to be others taking for granted the very thing you want most of all. I do understand that point of view, really I do. Because my autistic daughter I referred to in a previous post is non-verbal, it boggles my mind (and truthfully, pains me a little) to listen to a child call a parent's name repeatedly and not get a response. I have paid so very much $$$ and prayed so many years for my child to speak that I cannot imagine ignoring her speaking to me.

Best wishes to you and your wife. :hug:

Now I am seeing the type of posts that I was expecting. I am happy to see all the positives and negatives that can occur with your posts and some talks with friends I think we will try a little more laid back vaca, like a cruise where we don't have to fly so far or beach vacation. I think our first shot at this in WDW might be too much because we are always on the go. I really appreciate everyone's advice. It was very insightful and helpful.

On a side note and slightly off topic, I would like to thank all the folks in this thread who wish my wife and me well.
It does mean a lot, and although my wife doesn't post here, I do keep her informed of the daily topics.
I'm certain she will be appreciaitive also.

Thanx again... :)

MG

My youngest was 2 when we first used the clubs(he cried, but knowing he's the big phony, he stopped 2 seconds after we left, one of the girls called to let us know). That resort allowed non-potty trained kids! :banana: This one goes to the park sees another kid and introduces himself and starts to play(did that over at FW waiting for HDDR).

My eldest, who has Asperger's Syndrome(Autism spectrum) goes and while he doesn't play much with other kids, usually makes friends with the staff(will be told what a nice boy he is) and plays by himself or with one other kid.

Of course with the Aspie, transitions have always been a problem. It's gotten better with age, but he knows what the schedule is, I never drop something unexpected on him.
Sounds like my "Aspie" when he stayed in the Kid's club at the BWV a few years back while we took the DVC tour! The two adult ladies in there thought he was great! He chatted them up! :)

OK, so maybe my info is wrong? I have been told that all WDW kids clubs have a min age of 4, and require potty training. Am I mistaken in this? If so, which club/clubs?

Thanks -

Sorry this was at a non-WDW resort in Northern Michigan.

they don't let them into the WDW kids club until they are 4......

Now I am seeing the type of posts that I was expecting. I am happy to see all the positives and negatives that can occur with your posts and some talks with friends I think we will try a little more laid back vaca, like a cruise where we don't have to fly so far or beach vacation. I think our first shot at this in WDW might be too much because we are always on the go. I really appreciate everyone's advice. It was very insightful and helpful.

I think a WDW vacation would be just great for your family. We took our DS starting at 5 months! He's been about a half-dozen times already.

Some people have a very narrow worldview. They don't bring friends or family on vacation, they don't get babysitters for adutls nights out, etc. etc.

We do ALL of the above, and HAVE A GREAT TIME! And so does DS.

If I had a sitter I was close to, I'd bring her in a second. The more, the merrier!

Don't let other people bring you down. They are just too afraid or too narrow- minded to see the world in any other way.

they don't let them into the WDW kids club until they are 4......

It's nice to see a thread that got a bit off topic get back on track. Aren't there also in-room babysitters provided by such services as Kids' Night Out? We've brought grandma along on a couple of trips just so we could have a night out alone. One trip, in particular, stands out in my memory--we went to MGM for the first time, and walked towards the RR holding hands. As a cast member passed us, he commented, "Holding hands--that's nice!" We had a great time, until . . . 24 hours later when we had put grandma on the plane home and DH's tummy started to hurt. By dawn the next day his abdomen was distended and we called the ambulance. I had to stay in the room with DS12 and DD4.

So then things really hit the fan, since DD4 woke up with ear pain. Scrambling to get to urgent care and unable to get any news on my husband at Celebration Hospital, I was, shall we say, stressed. Immediately after hearing that DD4 had dual ear infections my phone rang and DH said, "It's my appendix, and it needs to come out NOW!"

An extra pair of hands would have come in handy right about then.

At any rate, the BC concierge was wonderful while I went to the hospital. I left the kids alone (DS was 12, and very mature for his age) with the concierge checking on them. We "had" to stay at BCV for an extra 3 days, but everyone healed nicely (even the dog, who while at my sister's house dislocated her hip about the time my hubby had the offending appendix removed, but that's another story).

I guess my point here is that another pair of hands would have been great, and if DS hadn't been 12 and capable of watching movies in the room with DD4, I'm not sure what I would have done. Cried a lot, probably!

OP, best of luck whatever you decide. This may be one with no right or wrong answer . . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter