Do you ever take your Nanny or Babysitter with you?

We have an au pair and she travels with us. She does lots of things I don't like to do (playdates - sorry - I find playdates tedious and boring, certain crafts, certain sports, etc.). I love my kids - but I don't love everything they do nor do I need to smother them and spend every blasted second with them to prove my love. That may work for other parents - doesn't work for me.

We set a schedule of when we expect our au pair to help us with the kids (they're older now - so she is more of a ride companion) and when she has time on her own.

Also, my three children are each 5 years apart (my oldest was 10 when I had my youngest)- if we didn't have an extra pair of hands with us, my oldest wouldn't have had a life or any great one on one experiences with his parents.

If that makes me a crappy parent - so be it. I couldn't care less what anyone, other than my dh and my children think.

The most important thing is to set a clear schedule and a clear list of expected duties, what you will pay, expected costs of things she will have to pay for, etc. Don't let there be any surprises, because that leads to hurt feelings.

Have fun!!!

Well, yes seriously! I didn't realize I was setting the bar mighty high with that comment and I mean that with no disrespect to you. That is just the way my DH and myself always felt as our children were growing up. I never said everyone else had to feel the same way as I do. The rough times are soon forgotten (kind of like in the way the pain of giving birth is), but the magical times are remembered and cherished forever. We always figured we could have a break when we're back at home. Today we have more than enough breaks and miss those cherished family moments. Can't wait for our trip to WDW in November where we can conjure up so many of thoses memories we made through the years with our chidren at our sides.:)

Hey, Luigi's Girl...you sound like a very cool mom, and I'm glad that you admitted here that there were "rough times.";) And of course you're right that we forget those rough times and remember the good. To hear my DW tell it, her three labor/deliveries were just a big party. I do get where you are coming from, which is that the trips with kids might have some rough moments and might not feel like much of a break, but the memories you get are totally worth it.

We had some challenging moments on our last trip to WDW (including a gut-wreching five minutes when DS4 eluded two parents and two grandparents and had his own little adventure in Adventure Land). But we're excited to get back on the horse (or plane) and head back for more.

These threads get so tangled, and we can go from a question about bringing help along on a trip to a discussion on who loves their kids the most. Yikes! I'm sticking to my story that we like to bring grandparents along, and that if we're ever fortunate to have an au pair from China, we'll bring her, too.:)

I personally would never bring a babysitter. My daugher goes to Daycare at grammy's house (I know i got lucky) from 8 to 5. And I love spending time with her. Everyone has there own opinon on this. But for us personally we would never bring a babysitter. We leave tommorow for SSR. But my DD is 20 months and we have never had a babysitter at night either. Were we go she goes.

Kelly

This thread is starting to look like it belongs over at the Disney with Families board!:eek:

To the OP, posting any sort of "parenting" related question is going to bring on the arguements(just read some of the stuff on the family board).

Hey, Luigi's Girl...you sound like a very cool mom, and I'm glad that you admitted here that there were "rough times.";) And of course you're right that we forget those rough times and remember the good. To hear my DW tell it, her three labor/deliveries were just a big party. I do get where you are coming from, which is that the trips with kids might have some rough moments and might not feel like much of a break, but the memories you get are totally worth it.

We had some challenging moments on our last trip to WDW (including a gut-wreching five minutes when DS4 eluded two parents and two grandparents and had his own little adventure in Adventure Land). But we're excited to get back on the horse (or plane) and head back for more.

These threads get so tangled, and we can go from a question about bringing help along on a trip to a discussion on who loves their kids the most. Yikes! I'm sticking to my story that we like to bring grandparents along, and that if we're ever fortunate to have an au pair from China, we'll bring her, too.:)

Thank you for those kind words papabear4. All I did was answer the OP's question with no intention of passing judgement on anyone else's parenting skills. To each his own. No one way is right or wrong.
And by the way Maistre Gracey, I meant to tell you in my first post that I am a Met fan! Some will say... well that explains it! :)

I like to get a Grand Villa so that I can have my chauffeur in one room, my personal cook in the other.:lmao:

I think the main reason the OP hasn't been skewered five ways to sideways is because she didn't post on the community board.

That being said, I can't see why this post really belongs in dvc.

Since I'm an opinionated Mom, I'm darn well keeping away from the controversial part of this particular thread and instead suggesting it move to where it belongs-the flaming pit that is the community board:laughing:

To each his own. No one way is right or wrong.

Really? Wow, I'm trying not to turn this thread into an argument about parenting, but there are definitely RIGHT things to do as a parent.

And there definitely are WRONG parenting techinques, skills, and beliefs.

Good parenting never involves "one" way, and suggesting that there is one wrong way or one right way is lamentably simplistic.

There are parents out there who are very dedicated, do a lot of things right, learn from their mistakes, and raise mostly happy children who try and make the world a better place.

And then there are those people who....don't.

Trying to sort them all out on the message boards is a big old waste of time.

So, to put it back on a DVC topic, anybody wanna tell me what my odds are of my waitlisted first week in December studio for my friends?

And are there more studios at VWL than 1 bedrooms?

I put it on the disboards because I thought DVCr's would be more apt to knowing the environment that we are in. It will only cost us extra points for the room and don't spend all our time in the parks. Plus, I spend most my time on these boards when I'm here so I respect those posters that I read a lot. I wasn't looking for parenting advice or looking to be flamed.:confused3 I just wanted the outlook of those who travel using their DVC's because they probably travel to WDW more like ourselves, and may have more insight to how this situation would pan out. I'm definitely not saying no one else would have good advice, I just was more comfortable putting it here. Thanks

Really? Wow, I'm trying not to turn this thread into an argument about parenting, but there are definitely RIGHT things to do as a parent.

Good parenting never involves "one" way, and suggesting that there is one wrong way or one right way is lamentably simplistic.

There are parents out there who are very dedicated, do a lot of things right, learn from their mistakes, and raise mostly happy children who try and make the world a better place.

So, to put it back on a DVC topic, anybody wanna tell me what my odds are of my waitlisted first week in December studio for my friends?

VWL - 20 Dedicated Studios - 27 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 44 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 45 Lockoffs - 0 Grand Villas = 136 Units / 181 Max. Available Rooms

Hope that helps!

I put it on the disboards because I thought DVCr's would be more apt to knowing the environment that we are in. It will only cost us extra points for the room and don't spend all our time in the parks. Plus, I spend most my time on these boards when I'm here so I respect those posters that I read a lot. I wasn't looking for parenting advice or looking to be flamed.:confused3 I just wanted the outlook of those who travel using their DVC's because they probably travel to WDW more like ourselves, and may have more insight to how this situation would pan out. I'm definitely not saying no one else would have good advice, I just was more comfortable putting it here. Thanks

I think your question is very appropriate for the DVC boards. DW was always the one to visit the boards for our trip planning (until she retreated last year because she got tired of the SSR bashing that was going on at the time;)). She found this section useful because, like you said, a lot of the DVCers have similar vacation styles.

For us, the fact that we have to get a two-bedroom to accommodate our family of 6 means that we will always have two extra spaces. Which we want to use up since we're paying for them! I realize that most people probably just have to do a studio or 1-bedroom, but I think that with the DVC purchase, people's mindsets go from WDW being a once-in-a-lifetime trip to one that you take often. And for many of us, that means that we can a) invite other people along and b) not heap so many expectations on each trip.

Anyway, TravelingJen, I think your question was valid, and I think there has been some very good advice offered here (as usual).

I think your question is very appropriate for the DVC boards. DW was always the one to visit the boards for our trip planning (until she retreated last year because she got tired of the SSR bashing that was going on at the time;)). She found this section useful because, like you said, a lot of the DVCers have similar vacation styles.

For us, the fact that we have to get a two-bedroom to accommodate our family of 6 means that we will always have two extra spaces. Which we want to use up since we're paying for them! I realize that most people probably just have to do a studio or 1-bedroom, but I think that with the DVC purchase, people's mindsets go from WDW being a once-in-a-lifetime trip to one that you take often. And for many of us, that means that we can a) invite other people along and b) not heap so many expectations on each trip.

Anyway, TravelingJen, I think your question was valid, and I think there has been some very good advice offered here (as usual).

There's just three of us...but we STILL often get a 2 bedroom! A little bit of privacy makes for a lot of vacation!

Half the days, we invite friends to join us, so it's the best of both worlds.

Okay - coincidentally - we are heading down to WDW this Sunday.

I am just putting the finishing touches on our "handbook" for our Au Pair (this is her first trip to WDW and she's soooo excited).

Anyway - as I said in my previous post - I always spell everything out. Also, want to say I'm sorry if I was snippy in my previous post - I just have had it up to my eyeballs with people making judgments about what type of parents people are based on whether or not they bring a nanny/aupair/grandma/cousinmildred/whomever on a disney trip (or anywhere else, for that matter) with them to help with the kids or to get some down time alone with a spouse.

Anyway - this is how it is going down for us on this upcoming trip (and on all trips we take with our kids and au pair):

We are paying her weekly salary, as usual. We also are paying for her room, her hopper pass and her meal plan. I don't buy souvenirs. I am treating her to a pedicure before we leave (it's part of our week before we go anywhere ritual).

In our "book" we first put her working schedule. These are the days and hours we absolutely expect her to be available if we need her. We also put down the dining reservations we have made and those we ask her to attend with us. She is welcome to join us at any meal, but they are not all required.

We let her know the approximate cost of regular items: ice cream, bottled water, postcards, pins, etc. It really helps them be prepared financially.

We provided her with maps of the parks, the transportation guide, emergency numbers, etc.

We've made suggestions for things to do in her off time if she chooses to go off on her own (she is always welcome to stay with us and we make this clear - there are times when we want to be alone with the kids and we also let her know that - but on this trip, that is not really the case).

We don't really schedule our trips anymore - although we do a rough outline of what park which day, etc. We've provided that to her as well.

I think - the most important thing is to make it very clear what time you expect her to be dressed and ready, what her exact schedule is (it's easier to overbook and then give up time than to underbook and try to add time, if you kwim).

Oh - I've also provided a packing list - many of them have no idea what the Floridian climate can be like.

I think that's it. If you (or anyone else) has any other questions, feel free to PM me.

I have to say - it's always great to have an extra pair of hands - but, it's even more fun to bring a Disney virgin along on a trip. We are really, really excited about that part (actually - that's really the best part of having an au pair - every American experience is a new one for them).

Have fun!!

I can't believe I have to defend myself yet again just for telling someone my family's vacation practices, which is what the OP was asking. What I meant when I said "no one way is right or wrong", was that if you bring a nanny or not, neither way is right or wrong. Parents are allowed to make their own decision whether or not to do so and anyone on this board has the right to ask us if we do or not. That is what this thread is supposed to be about. Please let's stop judging people. :)

VWL - 20 Dedicated Studios - 27 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 44 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 45 Lockoffs - 0 Grand Villas = 136 Units / 181 Max. Available Rooms

Hope that helps!

Wow, I actually thought there were more studios. So statistically I have a better chance on a waitlist for a 1 bdrm than a studio. Hmmm, I'll have to call on that.

And OP, I didn't think it belonged on DVC Mousellaneous because you never mentioned anything about DVC, or a DVC related vacation...:confused3

And the whole "let's stop judging people" argument-well, it's antithetical to human behavior to NOT judge, and is ingrained into us on a basic, Darwinian level. Bad judgement=death, good judgement=passing on genes.

I have no problem with people making judgements, just keep it polite and recognize when it's become a fruitless pursuit. Like, oh, about now, for this thread.

There are plenty of lifestyles out there that have dedicated believers. I'm still waiting for the Luddites to start posting...

Okay - coincidentally - we are heading down to WDW this Sunday.

I am just putting the finishing touches on our "handbook" for our Au Pair (this is her first trip to WDW and she's soooo excited).

Anyway - as I said in my previous post - I always spell everything out. Also, want to say I'm sorry if I was snippy in my previous post - I just have had it up to my eyeballs with people making judgments about what type of parents people are based on whether or not they bring a nanny/aupair/grandma/cousinmildred/whomever on a disney trip (or anywhere else, for that matter) with them to help with the kids or to get some down time alone with a spouse.

Anyway - this is how it is going down for us on this upcoming trip (and on all trips we take with our kids and au pair):

We are paying her weekly salary, as usual. We also are paying for her room, her hopper pass and her meal plan. I don't buy souvenirs. I am treating her to a pedicure before we leave (it's part of our week before we go anywhere ritual).

In our "book" we first put her working schedule. These are the days and hours we absolutely expect her to be available if we need her. We also put down the dining reservations we have made and those we ask her to attend with us. She is welcome to join us at any meal, but they are not all required.

We let her know the approximate cost of regular items: ice cream, bottled water, postcards, pins, etc. It really helps them be prepared financially.

We provided her with maps of the parks, the transportation guide, emergency numbers, etc.

We've made suggestions for things to do in her off time if she chooses to go off on her own (she is always welcome to stay with us and we make this clear - there are times when we want to be alone with the kids and we also let her know that - but on this trip, that is not really the case).

We don't really schedule our trips anymore - although we do a rough outline of what park which day, etc. We've provided that to her as well.

I think - the most important thing is to make it very clear what time you expect her to be dressed and ready, what her exact schedule is (it's easier to overbook and then give up time than to underbook and try to add time, if you kwim).

Oh - I've also provided a packing list - many of them have no idea what the Floridian climate can be like.

I think that's it. If you (or anyone else) has any other questions, feel free to PM me.

I have to say - it's always great to have an extra pair of hands - but, it's even more fun to bring a Disney virgin along on a trip. We are really, really excited about that part (actually - that's really the best part of having an au pair - every American experience is a new one for them).

Have fun!!

This is fantastic advice for anyone thinking of bringing a babysitter/au pair/nanny/helper with them to WDW. Very thorough!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter