Do you ever think pets will be allowed on DVC properties?

I would never take our pets on vacation unless it was a house I owned at a beach or something similar. I also cannot go in to a room that has had a cat in it. I cannot breathe right for hours after I leave and my eyes get itchy and burn, so no way on any pets.

Romantic couples, too....but that would be a little harder to surcharge - I suppose they could ask at checkout.

Hmm, exactly how would one calculate that surcharge? I'd so love to be the fly on the wall for that conversation.

As to OP's question, I highly doubt DVC would alter their policy on it. Service animals fit into a different category because they are highly trained and serve a vital function like my powerchair being my legs.

I have a wonderful kitty about the size of that Yorkie. And before her, I had a black lab. Both served a vital place in my heart and eagerly await my return. But I wouldn't consider taking either on vacation. What good would it do my cat to go on It's A Small World, and exactly who's gonna watch her when I take off on Soarin'? If she had it her way, I'd never go on vacation. Of course I'd never go to work, shopping, or anywhere outside my house. Possessive little feline she is.

Add me to the long list of people who are devoted pet owners and DVC members who LOATHE the idea of adding pets into the mix at Disney.

Our worst stay ever was when we rented one of the cabins at FW, and were attacked by THOUSANDS of ravenous fleas, obviously left behind by someone who had snuck their dog in with them.

Oh, wait, it gets better, the fleas hitched a ride in our luggage and infested my car and my house! :scared1: Our dogs and cat are on Sentinel, so any fleas that bit them when we got home bit the dust, but it was a miserable few weeks, and I had to actually flea bomb the car. Which was a drag, since I'm allergic to pesticides.

Here's wishing very, very bad Karma on all of you who sneak your dogs into Disney, and you know who you are...:furious:

Oh, yeah, and I just have to add for those of you who think we're behind the times with the Europeans-I lived in Europe, and the reeking stench from the dog feces littering the pavement everywhere you walked was overwhelmingly bad. I mean, there was poop EVERYWHERE. We used to have shoes for walking outside on the streets that we never brought into the apartment because they'd inevitably be pasted with poo. :sad2:

Remember, the french built Versailles, but they built it without any toilets-people would go into the stairwells to do their business. Yep, try and get that image out of your head...

1) Regardless of Disney's pet-friendly decision, why bring a pet?
2) I don't understand why they don't leave pets at home or at the vet.
3) We have pets.
4) We would never bring them on a vacation.
5) Contrary to other's opinions, they are animals, not members of the family.

AGREE!!

(Except #4 - If we're going up north and staying on a lake we take the dog.)

I hope Disney/DVC NEVER allows dogs in rooms. I like my clean, urine spray free, hair free room!!

If annual dues/maintenance fees are going to go up, it better not be to maintain pet-friendly rooms.

By the time we bought DVC, my "rugrat" was 12. Far past the "destructo-child" stage.

FWIW, we've several times left a unit in better repair than we found it, thanks to DH who is "Mr. Fix-it." Give the guy a coat hanger, a roll of duct tape, a butter knife, and some Kleenex and he'll build you a rocket ship!

Anne

Hey I did not know you married MacGyver !!!! :lmao:

I do think eventually Disney will offer more deluxe kennel and boarding facilities.

I think this is the answer. Think of the dog park Disney could build! It could be an areas where guests get to interact too. My cockers don't go to an upscale kennel, but they do have play time each day. Many other kennels provide much more than that. My guys could use an obedience refresher and a good grooming while on vacation!

I do think eventually Disney will offer more deluxe kennel and boarding facilities.

I think this is the answer.
Agree. Disney really could have great boarding facilities Something like this place in VeroBeach. They have the room, webcams, daycare for pets, dog park etc. plus Hurricane protection which was a biggie during 2004.
http://www.dogkidz.com/

It's also not too far the DVC VB Resort(on the mainland side) if anyone may be heading that way with their animals.

Can you just imagine a lovely day by the quiet pool. A drink in one hand and a good book in the other. You settle into the perfect lounge chair while someone's "baby" barks their little head off for no apperant reason. I love my golden she is a good dog. But she is a dog and does not get to go to Disney.

Romantic couples, too....but that would be a little harder to surcharge - I suppose they could ask at checkout.

Maybe they could fit the beds with a seizmometer. :)

A... yes Mr. Wilson we're going to have assess you with an aggresive usage fee. Our records indicate you all registered 7.2, a 6.8, and a 8.0 on our scale during your stay. We also see a 2.8, but we won't charge you for that.

but it does amaze me how misinformed many are on this subject.
The most common allergen to pets is not hair, but salvia. So unless the dog is still actually in the room when you arrive you are no more likely to have an allergy attack to pet hair than you are if the maid who cleans your room has a pet at home.
Now, our allergist actually says otherwise--it was important that we cleaned all of our cat hair out of our houses when my son's asthma got bad (and we had to give our cat to my grandmother). Yes he's allergic to the saliva, but the reason my son is allergic to the hair, is because most animals lick their hair so the saliva is on the hair (maybe this is more the case with cats then dogs since cats bathe themselves, and dogs are given baths). Plus he tested positive for being allergic to dog/cat dander--- which I do not believe is related to the saliva. I'm only saying this because you said some were misinformed-- and I don't believe that's totally accurate. Our allergist kept saying he would be better after a few months once all of the hair is finally out of the house. I do understand service animals are there, but I don't think it's as common as it would be if pets were allowed on property.

Now, our allergist actually says otherwise--it was important that we cleaned all of our cat hair out of our houses when my son's asthma got bad (and we had to give our cat to my grandmother). Yes he's allergic to the saliva, but the reason my son is allergic to the hair, is because most animals lick their hair so the saliva is on the hair (maybe this is more the case with cats then dogs since cats bathe themselves, and dogs are given baths). Plus he tested positive for being allergic to dog/cat dander--- which I do not believe is related to the saliva. I'm only saying this because you said some were misinformed-- and I don't believe that's totally accurate. Our allergist kept saying he would be better after a few months once all of the hair is finally out of the house. I do understand service animals are there, but I don't think it's as common as it would be if pets were allowed on property.

It is not the cat or dog hair itself that causes the allergy, but the old skin cells (dander) that are constantly being shed. Allergic individuals may produce allergy antibodies (IgE) when exposed to a protein found in cat hair roots and cats' salivary glands. The allergy antibodies cause mast cells to release histamine, exploding "allergy bombs" in the body.

Therefore as you said it is worse with cats as they self bathe and therefore constantly stir up the dander.

Yes, service animals are permitted under ADA. Disney is one of the top locations for anyone with a disability. They do a superb job making all feel welcome.

To the OPs question... I doubt that it will happen. But if it does it will have become an accepted US travel industry practice. I doubt Disney will lead the charge. Now what they do in other locations may depend on local custom. Does anyone know if Euro Disney handles pets differently?

Disneyland Paris resort hotels permit only guide dogs in the rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter