Do You Smoke?

Do You Smoke?

• Yes, I smoke tobacco (but nothing else).

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Yes, I smoke, but not tobacco.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Yes, I smoke both tobacco and "other plant matter."

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • No, I don't smoke.

Votes: 145 90.1%

• Total voters
I started smoking my freshman year of college. I stopped about 9 years later when I wanted to get pregnant. That was 40 years ago. At that time, smoking was allowed almost everywhere, including in the hospital where I worked.

DH started also smoking in college. He quit for a short time when I did but it didn't last long. He smoked in our home for years, exposing our kids. (We didn't know all that we do now about second hand smoke.) In 1997 he came down with a very bad case of pneumonia while on our first trip to WDW without the kids. He couldn't work for 6 weeks and didn't smoke during that time. As soon as he went back to work, he started smoking again. I told him then that he was not going to expose me any longer so no smoking in the house or the car with me. He finally quit 14 years later, the day after he was told that he had stage 4 lung cancer. Some of his first words to me after we heard the diagnosis were: " I screwed up." It couldn't have been easy to give up cigarettes the day after receiving a death sentence, but he did it. He died 13 weeks later, after 44 years of smoking.

Nope. Never tried. Been offered both and refused.
Mum smoked during my entire childhood, and I used to hate going to school stinking of stale smoke. I also got chest/ear infections regularly until I moved out, which I attribute to the smoke. She eventually gave up, though she still struggles with cravings and she vapes instead.
Brother smoked "other stuff" until he started having issues with paranoia and gave up. He also smoked cigarettes till a collapsed lung brought him to his senses. He now vapes - which his doctors have ok'd.

The smell of stale smoke now makes me feel sick to the extent I avoid colleagues when they've just come back from a smoke break. I was thrilled when the smoking ban came in.

I never said I smoked pot, have a re read, I said I didn't see it as any different than having some drinks, both pot and alcohol can "alter ones thought patterns" both can have detrimental health effects particularly if used heavily.
However there is a massive difference between smoking tobacco which has been clearly and repeatedly shown to have huge negative health effects as a direct result of one smoke with no positive at all and smoking pit which has been shown to have positive health benefits and has been cleared in many places for medicinal use.
So basically have you ever heard of a dr prescribing smoking tobacco(in this century)?
There is a significant amount of information widely available and advertised to both adults and children about the dangers of smoking tobacco.
If you choose to still light up then I remain in my position that you (the general you) are in fact a moron.
Sounds like you have some great genes.

So can I assume you are recommending smoking to your grandkids?

Why not start again yourself?
Some smokers get lucky. Lung cancer is certain one disease that smokers get at a greater (by far) rate than nonsmokers. Even then, a lot of nonsmokers who get lung cancer might have been exposed to environmental toxins like asbestos, wood smoke, or coal dust.
I have to wonder if all you folks are politicians because you sure can twist things to a completely different meaning. I was only saying, NOT TO ANY OF YOU, but, to Dan who worded his response as if it was a sure thing that one or all of those things will be happening if one smokes. I just said that those things happen to people who only breath in air. So your stand is that smoking is the reason for those cancers and I am saying that living is the reason for those cancers and that not everyone gets that stuff. And to the wonderfully superior person that called me a moron. Aren't you sweet.

I didn't even say that smoking didn't increase your chances for SOME of the cancers listed, but, not all of them. If the rest of you want to go through life with blinders on and feel that because you don't smoke or you tend to go into convulsions when within 100 yards of a smoker, there is a very good chance that until they find a cure, you just may be getting one of those and your just going to be scratching your heads and saying, how can that be, I didn't smoke or get anywhere within range of anyone that did. Wait, I might have driven my car everywhere, inhaling all kinds of nasty stuff, but it by god wasn't cigarette smoke.

So put down the righteous anger dialog and superior attitude and read just the words not try and read between each line. Damn, I even said how lucky I was that I didn't have some of those things, yet, you try and make me a villain by insinuating that I said something that I didn't. Oh, well... how does one have an intelligent conversation with people that buy into every fairy tail that they hear.

I currently have Prostate Cancer and that can be directly linked to the fact that I was born a male. Perhaps all males should be killed at birth because no males means no Prostate Cancer. I could work the other gender as well into these scenario's but, there isn't a need to because no matter how we try and talk ourselves out of it the number one cause of death is living. I always seems to proceed it every time.

I currently have Prostate Cancer and that can be directly linked to the fact that I was born a male. Perhaps all males should be killed at birth because no males means no Prostate Cancer. I could work the other gender as well into these scenario's but, there isn't a need to because no matter how we try and talk ourselves out of it the number one cause of death is living. I always seems to proceed it every time.

Yes, being born male is *almost* the same as choosing to smoke.

Talk about twisting words.

I started smoking my freshman year of college. I stopped about 9 years later when I wanted to get pregnant. That was 40 years ago. At that time, smoking was allowed almost everywhere, including in the hospital where I worked.

DH started also smoking in college. He quit for a short time when I did but it didn't last long. He smoked in our home for years, exposing our kids. (We didn't know all that we do now about second hand smoke.) In 1997 he came down with a very bad case of pneumonia while on our first trip to WDW without the kids. He couldn't work for 6 weeks and didn't smoke during that time. As soon as he went back to work, he started smoking again. I told him then that he was not going to expose me any longer so no smoking in the house or the car with me. He finally quit 14 years later, the day after he was told that he had stage 4 lung cancer. Some of his first words to me after we heard the diagnosis were: " I screwed up." It couldn't have been easy to give up cigarettes the day after receiving a death sentence, but he did it. He died 13 weeks later, after 44 years of smoking.

Oh, that is so sad. Sorry to hear it. :hug:

I'm very sorry for your loss :hug:

Nope. I gave up cigarettes when I was a teenager. I gave up other "herbs" shortly thereafter.

I have to wonder if all you folks are politicians because you sure can twist things to a completely different meaning. I was only saying, NOT TO ANY OF YOU, but, to Dan who worded his response as if it was a sure thing that one or all of those things will be happening if one smokes. I just said that those things happen to people who only breath in air. So your stand is that smoking is the reason for those cancers and I am saying that living is the reason for those cancers and that not everyone gets that stuff. And to the wonderfully superior person that called me a moron. Aren't you sweet.

If you haven't looked through this thread, I've actually taken a middle ground. I personally think it's stupid, but I do understand that not everyone dies. Still, maybe 9 (or more) out of 10 lung cancer patients are smokers, so the correlation is pretty obvious.

I smoke and I agree that its a dumb thing to do. Knowing that doesn't make it any easier to quit though. I have quit before and started back. It wasn't a like it was decision in my mind that I decided "its not so bad" or something. I was having some anxiety and broke down and bought some to calm me down. And it went from there. You can shout from the roof tops that its a moronic thing to do and it doesn't make quitting any easier. I started at first back in high school where it was the "cool" thing to do. Only one of my three kids smokes and he actually smokes so seldom that I keep telling him he should go ahead and stop while it would be easier. I do have a prescription for Chantix and am trying to quit again. (tried the e-cigs, yeah, doesn't work as well as some think)

I smoke and I agree that its a dumb thing to do. Knowing that doesn't make it any easier to quit though. I have quit before and started back. It wasn't a like it was decision in my mind that I decided "its not so bad" or something. I was having some anxiety and broke down and bought some to calm me down. And it went from there. You can shout from the roof tops that its a moronic thing to do and it doesn't make quitting any easier. I started at first back in high school where it was the "cool" thing to do. Only one of my three kids smokes and he actually smokes so seldom that I keep telling him he should go ahead and stop while it would be easier. I do have a prescription for Chantix and am trying to quit again. (tried the e-cigs, yeah, doesn't work as well as some think)
Good luck @luvsJack ! I hope this time you are successful!

Wishing you well, luvsjack. You'll do it, just watch. You'll do it. I know a number of people, my son among them, who have kicked the habit with assist from Chantix. Best wishes.

I didn't even say that smoking didn't increase your chances for SOME of the cancers listed, but, not all of them. If the rest of you want to go through life with blinders on and feel that because you don't smoke or you tend to go into convulsions when within 100 yards of a smoker, there is a very good chance that until they find a cure, you just may be getting one of those and your just going to be scratching your heads and saying, how can that be, I didn't smoke or get anywhere within range of anyone that did. Wait, I might have driven my car everywhere, inhaling all kinds of nasty stuff, but it by god wasn't cigarette smoke.

So put down the righteous anger dialog and superior attitude and read just the words not try and read between each line. Damn, I even said how lucky I was that I didn't have some of those things, yet, you try and make me a villain by insinuating that I said something that I didn't. Oh, well... how does one have an intelligent conversation with people that buy into every fairy tail that they hear.

See the thing is you can't help being born male, but smoking is a choice. An informed choice at this point in time.
It is ridiculous to be underplaying the serious risks of smoking.
Am I superior in general no, but yes I look down on anyone that is willing to choose to up their risks of serious health problems, ruin their looks, smell awful, and waste bucket loads of money for absolutely nothing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter