Does anyone else hate they keep going back to the same restaurants?

So funny how different experiences can be. Sebastian's is the worst meal I have had in any restaurant EVER. Not just at Disney but anywhere anytime. It was awful, from food to service. Only saving grace was the dessert, though we hardly got any of it. The server brought out a portion that was enough for one person - for four adults. It was a joke. After being told we could not get more of the food they originally served us until we ate everything on the whole platter (like what??? we did not like the cold chicken and weren't going to eat it), we decided to just cut our losses and leave. Never again, even if it were free.
I'm sorry this happened to you, but I'm glad to know we aren't the only ones to have a terrible experience at Sebastian's. I'm always hesitant to give my true opinion of it on here as it seems so beloved. While our experience wasn't quite as bad as yours, it was without a doubt the worst service we've had at WDW in years, if not ever. And most of the food was completely tasteless. We were expecting Caribbean flavors and instead got zero flavor. I couldn't even eat the steak as it was so tough that you couldn't chew it. We did enjoy the salad (that dressing was delicious) and the dessert. But that was it. Never again.

As to the original question we do try to mix it up with some old favorites and yet try new things as well. However, we are very fortunate that we are retired and have enough DVC points to come down 2 - 3 times a year which makes it easier to fit both old and new in. Back when we only came down every 2 to 3 years, we usually stuck to our favorites, maybe adding in one new restaurant a trip. Next month we are trying Jiko, Narcoossee's and Trattoria Al Forno for the first time, which is exciting.

Last edited:
I'm sorry this happened to you, but I'm glad to know we aren't the only ones to have a terrible experience at Sebastian's. I'm always hesitant to give my true opinion of it on here as it seems so beloved. While our experience wasn't quite as bad as yours, it was without a doubt the worst service we've had at WDW in years, if not ever. And most of the food was completely tasteless. We were expecting Caribbean flavors and instead got zero flavor. I couldn't even eat the steak as it was so tough that you couldn't chew it. We did enjoy the salad (that dressing was delicious) and the dessert. But that was it. Never again.

As to the original question we do try to mix it up with some old favorites and yet try new things as well. However, we are very fortunate that we are retired and have enough DVC points to come down 2 - 3 times a year which makes it easier to fit both old and new in. Back when we only came down every 2 to 3 years, we usually stuck to our favorites, maybe adding in one new restaurant a trip. Next month we are trying Jiko, Narcoossee's and Trattoria Al Forno for the first time, which is exciting.

I guess we all have different tastes. We did have a great server at Sebastians...I think he was Australian or at least had an accent similar to that. I enjoyed the salad and the rice especially. The chicken was not that good...not much flavor at all. I think I enjoyed the pork and my family the beef and the fish. Adding the accompaniments to it (like the carrots with the pork) did help but none of it was overly seasoned. We didn't find the steak tough at least.

We did Trattoria Al Forno a few years ago...it wasn't great but I think we probably had one of the worst servers ever which didn't help. We watched him struggle with all of his other tables...it was sad and also funny. We haven't done Jiko or Narcoosee's in years but one day we may have to try it again.

This was exactly our experience this past December when we tried Sebastian's, definitely lukewarm and bland. It was very surprising to us. We picked this meal because we expected it to be very flavorful based on the descriptions and rave reviews. It most definitely was not.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but I'm glad to know we aren't the only ones to have a terrible experience at Sebastian's. I'm always hesitant to give my true opinion of it on here as it seems so beloved. While our experience wasn't quite as bad as yours, it was without a doubt the worst service we've had at WDW in years, if not ever. And most of the food was completely tasteless. We were expecting Caribbean flavors and instead got zero flavor. I couldn't even eat the steak as it was so tough that you couldn't chew it.

For me, the biggest disappointment and saddest thing about it is having been to Sebastian's for the first time in 2020 after it overhauled its initial menu to a new one sometime in mid-2019. The contrast was extreme because I considered it in 2020 to be so good, it was going to be on my permanent list to revisit - one of my regulars. It was that good. And unlike current, the foods were cooked beautifully to order, the Caribbean flavors and spices were rich and spicy and tasty, everything hot and fresh. Jerk chicken had an excellent sweet-spicy flavor that actually had a little heat, the chimichurri steak was garlicky and rich. The pull-apart rolls that first time were piping hot and soft and the onion jam, jerk oil, and guava butters all had richer, deeper flavor. Even the key lime dessert - something Disney has rarely gotten right, was pretty darn good.

I was disappointed with the new menu overhaul when I returned the following year, but was still thinking the flavors and spices would be there - the pull apart rolls tasted like they'd been sitting out on the counter for a day, the guava butter and onion jam were barely flavored at all, the citrus chicken was tough, dry, and way to bitter/citrusy, the pork was dry and room temperature but probably the best of the meats there, the steak was tough and dry, and the rice was tinted green but somehow flavorless and overcooked and dry.

My only hope is that they look back at the reviews and see how many very good reviews and raves the place was getting between 2019 and 2020, and re-hire that chef and restore the menu...but it's probably just another casualty of the pandemic, supply chain and cost issues, and Disney's watering down of their deep theming and adventurous menus to more homogenous fare at many restaurants.

the pull apart rolls tasted like they'd been sitting out on the counter for a day, the guava butter and onion jam were barely flavored at all, the citrus chicken was tough, dry, and way to bitter/citrusy, the pork was dry and room temperature but probably the best of the meats there, the steak was tough and dry, and the rice was tinted green but somehow flavorless and overcooked and dry.
Exactly! Definitely a lot of potential there but didn't live it up to it when we were there either.

We have a set list that we have had for 20 plus years but every trip we try to find a new place or 2. Over the years we have added to the list but it’s getting harder to add to that list. I often post for ideas before trips to seek out a new place but we always have a top 5/6 places we always do.

So funny DH and I were just discussing this about 5 minutes ago. We just planned a new trip for Sept and have the QS dining plan but want to go to ~2 TS places. We have so many favorites and go-to places from our past trips but we'd like to shake it up this trip. It is so hard to pass on some of our favorites though, like Ohana. Time will tell...good luck with your choices!:-)

I'm planning a trip for April and while jotting down the places I want to eat, I came to realize it's the exact ones I had for my last trip!

Boma, Sebastian's, Boathouse, Ohana, etc..

I keep wanting to try new places but have had such good experiences with these ones that I want something I know I will enjoy.

Anyone else feels that it happens to them?
We know exactly how you feel, our usual line up is 1. Earl of Sandwich, 2. Raglan Road, 3. Olivia's, 4. Gideon's Bake House so on and so fourth. I try to work in at least two or three new restaurants per trip. We only go twice a year so it's important to hit the ones we love. We recently tried STK for lunch and it was great, also tried some new booths at EPCOT's FARTs. They were kind of hit and miss.

Most of all, branch out and try new restaurants along with your favorites.

We know exactly how you feel, our usual line up is 1. Earl of Sandwich, 2. Raglan Road, 3. Olivia's, 4. Gideon's Bake House so on and so fourth. I try to work in at least two or three new restaurants per trip. We only go twice a year so it's important to hit the ones we love. We recently tried STK for lunch and it was great, also tried some new booths at EPCOT's FARTs. They were kind of hit and miss.

Most of all, branch out and try new restaurants along with your favorites.
I think right now is trying to find time for all the snacks just at DS!

Gideons, Salt + Straw, the donut place, etc.

I've been wanting to try Ghirardellis but I'm always too full for it

We have the same problem with trying to fit in those three. Gideon's is always a priority. We did finally try some toffee bars from Ghirardellis last time. Haven't fit Salt + Straw in yet.

We have the same problem with trying to fit in those three. Gideon's is always a priority. We did finally try some toffee bars from Ghirardellis last time. Haven't fit Salt + Straw in yet.
Salt + Straw is amazing, you can try so many flavors too. It does get expensive though, I think I paid $25+ for two cones but it was worth it, the quality is there

I recently tried one of those bubble waffle sundaes at Market Place snacks and it did not disappoint.

I'm planning a trip for April and while jotting down the places I want to eat, I came to realize it's the exact ones I had for my last trip!

Boma, Sebastian's, Boathouse, Ohana, etc..

I keep wanting to try new places but have had such good experiences with these ones that I want something I know I will enjoy.

Anyone else feels that it happens to them?
Yes, but you know what I dislike even more? Trying something "new" not enjoying it, and then missing out on the regular meal you would have planned. This past trip we did Jiko in place of Topolino's for a "nice" dinner, won't be back to Jiko anytime soon and can't wait to eat at Topolino's again.

Yes, but you know what I dislike even more? Trying something "new" not enjoying it, and then missing out on the regular meal you would have planned. This past trip we did Jiko in place of Topolino's for a "nice" dinner, won't be back to Jiko anytime soon and can't wait to eat at Topolino's again.
I feel that. I really hope I'm able to snag Topolino's for my b-day coming up

I feel that. I really hope I'm able to snag Topolino's for my b-day coming up
For breakfast or dinner? We tried a modified breakfast during Hurricane Ian, no characters, but could order the full menu and it was simply amazing food. Haven't tried it again since we don't really care for character meals. Unfortunately they charge the same amount if you sit in the bar/lounge area for breakfast.

As for Dinner, it's easily our favorite signature restaurant on property (also Tiffins). Last time we just grabbed a hightop in the bar area and ordered from the full menu, had a wonderful time. Sat up against the window as the sun was setting with a nice expresso martini enjoying the meal before we hit up Epcot.

For breakfast or dinner? We tried a modified breakfast during Hurricane Ian, no characters, but could order the full menu and it was simply amazing food. Haven't tried it again since we don't really care for character meals. Unfortunately they charge the same amount if you sit in the bar/lounge area for breakfast.

As for Dinner, it's easily our favorite signature restaurant on property (also Tiffins). Last time we just grabbed a hightop in the bar area and ordered from the full menu, had a wonderful time. Sat up against the window as the sun was setting with a nice expresso martini enjoying the meal before we hit up Epcot.

Hoping to do breakfast :)

Hoping to do breakfast :)
Not sure if you've seen they sometimes have the walk-up list available for breakfast, might be worth checking for that. If not check-out one of those "reservation" services that give you an alert when there is availability etc. Assuming you can't get a reservation at 60 days. Hope you all enjoy it!

Not sure if you've seen they sometimes have the walk-up list available for breakfast, might be worth checking for that. If not check-out one of those "reservation" services that give you an alert when there is availability etc. Assuming you can't get a reservation at 60 days. Hope you all enjoy it!
Will do! Do you know at what time central/tx time the reservation opens up for WDW? For example if I wanted to reserve for the 21s

Will do! Do you know at what time central/tx time the reservation opens up for WDW? For example if I wanted to reserve for the 21s
You can start booking as early as 5am Texas Time (6am Eastern for me) 60 days before check-in. I usually get myself all setup at 5:45 the morning of, that way I'm ready to start clicking as that 6 am mark rolls around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter