• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dunkirk

That's "Heart of Darkness" - I wouldn't have called it a war movie, even though technically, of course, it is. I'd have put it in a psycho thriller, but...hhhmmm, I'd have to think about that. I love the movie, and the book. Its like, would you call "The Deer Hunter" a war movie? Schlinder's List? I may need to be more expansive in my thoughts now. I'm having a fine time pondering it though! And now I'll have to figure out if a local place has potato skins take out and settle into some Netflix:)

Well, the difference between Apocalypse Now and The Deer Hunter is the former takes place entirely within the war. Definitely a "war" movie. Deer Hunter, maybe not. Forest Gump, definitely not a "war movie".

It seems that the older I become the less interested I become in war movies. With that said, I'll likely watch Dunkirk at some point and enjoy it. The director is a wonderful story teller with past movies I've thought. I was thinking of the movie yesterday too when I ran into an older neighbor, exchanged quick hellos he's from the UK. I can imagine he was a young boy during WW2. I was thinking it would be interesting to me to hear about his time during the war, and possibly about the new movie. He's a proud UK citizen that enjoys talking about his country.

See, i wouldn't even rank it in my top 3 Vietnam War movies, much less Top war movie. I did think it was very good, just not on the same level as say Apocalypse Now.

Besides AN, what other Vietnam war movies would you rank ahead of Platoon? The only I could get behind is Full Metal Jacket.

I'm so glad I bumped this thread; it's sparked some great discussion (yes, I'm tooting my own horn)

I have to be honest, this was the first war movie I've seen that I haven't been bored with. I have seen Platoon and Saving Private Ryan and a few others that have been mentioned.

I'm so glad I bumped this thread; it's sparked some great discussion (yes, I'm tooting my own horn)

I have to be honest, this was the first war movie I've seen that I haven't been bored with. I have seen Platoon and Saving Private Ryan and a few others that have been mentioned.

Well I guess I should toot my own horn big time for starting the thread.

Saw a segment tonight that some are complaining that women and minorities are under represented in Dunkirk. I haven't seen it but thought of this thread.

Saw a segment tonight that some are complaining that women and minorities are under represented in Dunkirk. I haven't seen it but thought of this thread.

Heard these complaints as well. But really how many women fought at Dunkirk? Was there even one?

Saw that awhile back. I give that as much credence as someone who would complain about the small number of white people in Glory - none.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...xplores-heroism-innovative-fashion/482574001/

"The trio of timelines can be jarring as you figure out how they all fit, and the fact that there are only a couple of women and no lead actors of color may rub some the wrong way. Still, Nolan’s feat is undeniable: He’s made an immersive war movie that celebrates the good of mankind while also making it clear that no victory is without sacrifice."

Is it maybe because it's based on a historical British event

Heard these complaints as well. But really how many women fought at Dunkirk? Was there even one?

See above post with the link to the review with the complaint.

So finally got a chance to see it.
Loved it. Best score for sure.

I don't think it's one I could rewatch as good as it was though.

Ok, watched the movie last night. We enjoyed it, it held my interest the whole time. It definitely draws you in to the movie in a way that makes you feel almost as if you are there, and makes you appreciate what it takes to survive in a war. However, as a whole, it is lacking in dialogue (at least any that I could hear or understand except for a few parts) and character development. Maybe that was the point, to not really know much about the characters in a way that makes then seem as if they could be anyone, even you. But generally I like character development in a movie so I have a sense of caring about who I am watching--it's the same reason why I enjoy watching the Olympics or my own kids playing sports lol, but am bored to tears watching sports with athletes I know nothing about

Oh, and for those who mentioned gore and trauma, I was worried about that too, I don't like violence and especially can't stand watching torture, but it wasn't gory or traumatic in that way at all, there was a little blood in one scene but not even on the field of battle

Ok, watched the movie last night. We enjoyed it, it held my interest the whole time. It definitely draws you in to the movie in a way that makes you feel almost as if you are there, and makes you appreciate what it takes to survive in a war. However, as a whole, it is lacking in dialogue (at least any that I could hear or understand except for a few parts) and character development. Maybe that was the point, to not really know much about the characters in a way that makes then seem as if they could be anyone, even you. But generally I like character development in a movie so I have a sense of caring about who I am watching--it's the same reason why I enjoy watching the Olympics or my own kids playing sports lol, but am bored to tears watching sports with athletes I know nothing about

I enjoyed the civilian rescue boat part of the movie better than the other 2 stories, probably for the reasons you mentioned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter