DVC stay away!!!!

I don't mind that they are putting DVC at the Contemporary. But I do not like the design that appears to be the one selected. I feel that the original tower should remain the focus of the resort, and they should have worked on a design that would compliment it instead of compete with it. It should be at least a few floors shorter than the original tower, instead of equal height (or even slightly taller). DVC did such a great job of blending with WL, BC, BW, and even the concept art for AKL villas, that it just feels like they dropped the ball on this one. Maybe since the designs were taken down from the original website, they are still fine tuning it and will come up with a more complimentary design.

From the picture it looks like the new building will drastically change the view from some of the tower rooms.

I can't wait! I'll be buying points when/if this happens. As for the design, I'll wait and see because Disney is pretty good at making these designs work and always do a great job. I need to start saving now and hope it's at least a year away.

From the picture it looks like the new building will drastically change the view from some of the tower rooms.

I don't see how- the new tower is off to the side of the original tower. :confused3 Since the tower rooms face roughly east and west and the new tower is to the north, it shouldn't affect the MK rooms at all. The Bay Lake view rooms will see the tower off to the side, but straight ahead will be all Bay Lake view.

Is there anyone out there that thinks that a DVC building near the Contemporary Resort is a bad idea?

I don't have a problem with it. The original structure that sat in that spot was full of problems that would cost more to remediate than to tear it down and start from scratch and was more than likely going to be torn down regardless. By rebuilding as DVC, the developer has instant cash towards the building costs, as opposed to borrowing the funds and slowly recouping the building costs through room rentals over the next twenty years.

The CR has been having more problems filling rooms than any other WDW deluxe over the past few years. Don't you think maybe there is a reason that was offered to SoG rather than any of the other resorts? It's also the reason that discounts are usually more readily available there than the other deluxe resorts. This will help keep the resort full. A full resort generates more cash for capital improvements and guest amenties.

I love driving to the CR and seeing the beautiful scenery and awe of the great resort, I would hate to see a money driven project such as a DVC building offsetting the futuristic style of the CR.

The plans I see look like they have kept the integrity of the architectural style intact.

Does this mean if they build a DVC near the CR that there will be more people crowding onto the monorail, Outer-Rim and California Grill?

No. The resort capacity should remain approximately the same. They will build an additional pool that all CR guests will be able to access, so if anything they are giving more than they are taking away. While the physical space might be greater, the capacity will remain about the same, as a one or two BR DVC unit takes 150-200% more space than the average one or two resort rooms respectfully. Many DVC members choose to cook and eat in thier villas, so the impact to restaurants is actually lower. If you want to keep numbers down at the Californai Grill, petition WDW to get rid of the dining plan and enforce the dress code at all times.

I really don’t understand why there are people for the DVC activity around the CR.??

Why not? I see it as a win-win situation for everyone. And with the way they are going, I fully expect to see DVC at EVERY deluxe before 2015.

Anne

no, that was considered - if the wings were build up that would be a problem.

this building will not interfer with any of the tower. to even see this new building (I think) you would need to be on the balcony and looking way over to see it.

the imprint is smaller than the north wing - so it was necessary to build higher.

It will definitely be a better pool. also a couple of whirlpools - since right now there is only one.

I am expecting what they did at BC/bcV - a better area to sit and talk - or to meet others.

there is also the other possiblity - it becomes the tower - but instead of DVC - it becomes MK suites. Depends upon which option is better for WDW. but I would love DVC. they get their money back now not some long time in the future.

either way I think it is clear this building is going up.

The CR has been having more problems filling rooms than any other WDW deluxe over the past few years.
Just curious what proof do you have that the Contemporary has been having trouble filling rooms? Everytime my family and I stay there they are always sold out with guests just there on vacation, plus the guests who stay there for conventions?

I think CRV is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard. I also don't think Disney is that dumb about these things. Therefore, I am confident that CRV is unlikely to happen, and if it happens it will be many years off. For those who love the idea, I hope that I am wrong.

I think CRV is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard. I also don't think Disney is that dumb about these things. Therefore, I am confident that CRV is unlikely to happen, and if it happens it will be many years off. For those who love the idea, I hope that I am wrong.

Actually I think that the land by the Contemporary where the rumored CRV would be built is probably one of the most valued pieces of property that Disney owns so I too will be amazed but very happy if they sell it as a DVC.

Now that Disney has announced that they are making a deal for a New Four Seasons Timeshare on Disney Property and Value Oriented West Side I think at this time Disney is trying to get other companies to build hotels/motels/timeshares on WDW land.

It makes me even more hopeful that a DVC will be built at the CR.

Here is to hope!:wizard:

I don't mind that they are putting DVC at the Contemporary. But I do not like the design that appears to be the one selected. I feel that the original tower should remain the focus of the resort, and they should have worked on a design that would compliment it instead of compete with it. It should be at least a few floors shorter than the original tower, instead of equal height (or even slightly taller). DVC did such a great job of blending with WL, BC, BW, and even the concept art for AKL villas, that it just feels like they dropped the ball on this one. Maybe since the designs were taken down from the original website, they are still fine tuning it and will come up with a more complimentary design.

My feelings exactly!!! Personally, I am hoping the rendering that we've all been seeing is nothing like what will be built. In all the other DVC resorts, they are 4-5 stories max. I would really like to see a resort that complimented the original tower without overtaking it.

My feelings exactly!!! Personally, I am hoping the rendering that we've all been seeing is nothing like what will be built. In all the other DVC resorts, they are 4-5 stories max. I would really like to see a resort that complimented the original tower without overtaking it.

I agree the plans need to be scaled down if that drawing I seee in the signature of people posting in this thread is the plan. The footprint there is rather small so they need to be sensitive to that and the views.

Really I'm shocked that CRV wasn't the FIRST DVC Resort during the recent expansion. WDW is about the parks really and I would have thought they would have developed the prime locations first with direct access to the parks. Also I have one word for you:

MONORAIL!!!!!

Jay

The monorail is an interesting question. The platform at the Contemporary can get crowded. If they build it to the size in the picture, you will have alot more people trying to get on.

The monorail is an interesting question. The platform at the Contemporary can get crowded. If they build it to the size in the picture, you will have alot more people trying to get on.

I agree in theory but the previous rooms in the north wings had guests too. The big question is how many villas will be built there. Does anyone know how many CR rooms there were in the north wing?

I just looked it up, the Garden wings of the CR have +/- 500 rooms total, that means the North wing has around 250 rooms. As a comparison, the VWL have 136 units and the BCV has 205 units.

IMO, the Contemporary *was* futuristic when orginally built, but now decades later...it needs a little help. I think DVC will give it the shot in the arm it needs (and deserves). Hopefully it will be done in a manner that pleases not only members, but the CR loyalists!

Saved me from writing it. The Contempo needs a LOT of help, imho. Great hotel in it's time, but it's many years since I've wanted to stay there. The villas on the other hand are definitely on my 'buy' list.

Depends on what they build. Then I will have an opinion. If it looks like the plans we saw early on, then yes I think it ruins the look of the neighborhood. But hey I hated the Swan and Dolphin and still do. Ruined the look of that neighborhood too.

It would seem from the changes being included at AKV of separate check in, more restaurants, nice pool, some distance between the two facilities that DVC learned the hard way you can't cram a DVC in the parking lot of an existing resort and not improve the infrastructure to support it, without causing problems. It is not fair to the DVCers and not fair to nonDVCers.

So I will wait and see.

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE CR, and must say that I will be 1st in line to buy CRV points if/when they build it (ok... probably behind a few people on this site! ;)). I have faith in Disney theming when it comes to DVC resorts, but that sketch does make the new tower look pretty huge - the scale seems wrong, but I figure I'll wait and see on that one. I remain optimistic about the whole thing, though! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter