DVC stay away!!!!

popcorn:: popcorn:: popcorn::
Not near as intersting as we thought this would get.

My biggest concnern was the fireworks view from the Fort Wilderness dock.:rolleyes1

But really, I'd have to consider points here. Location. Location. Location.:sail:

The original Poster has an interesting premise, She thinks that a DVC at the Contemporary will hurt the Contemporary, I feel that it is the other way around. I think a DVC at the Contemporary is a bad thing for DVC. It would be the first DVC property ever that was not theamed (I don't buy the "Futuristic" theme) as the plans look just like a Miami highrise condo.

I think most Contemporary DVC backers really just want a DVC on the monorail. If DVC announced a new beautifully theamed stand alone DVC with monorial access, I bet you would see alot of Contemporary DVC backers jump ship.

The original Poster has an interesting premise, She thinks that a DVC at the Contemporary will hurt the Contemporary, I feel that it is the other way around. I think a DVC at the Contemporary is a bad thing for DVC. It would be the first DVC property ever that was not theamed (I don't buy the "Futuristic" theme) as the plans look just like a Miami highrise condo.

I think most Contemporary DVC backers really just want a DVC on the monorail. If DVC announced a new beautifully theamed stand alone DVC with monorial access, I bet you would see alot of Contemporary DVC backers jump ship.
I was waiting for the right time post this so after what you said I can now do that. You claim the Contemporary is not that much of a theamed Resort, well let me ask you what theme is there at the Yacht & Beach Club? I have visited there a few times and let me tell you I don't see what is so special about it. When you walk in everything is basically down the hallways, where as at the Contemporary the main attraction is the 4th floor concourse level. So while the Yacht & Beach Club may have a better overal theme, the inside of the Resort is nothing special and feels just like a standard hotel with hallways and maybe a store to look at.

Unless that resort also offered a walkway to the MK and the same or better/closer views of the MK as the CR than I for one would not jump ship.

I was waiting for the right time post this so after what you said I can now do that. You claim the Contemporary is not that much of a theamed Resort, well let me ask you what theme is there at the Yacht & Beach Club? I have visited there a few times and let me tell you I don't see what is so special about it. When you walk in everything is basically down the hallways, where as at the Contemporary the main attraction is the 4th floor concourse level. So while the Yacht & Beach Club may have a better overal theme, the inside of the Resort is nothing special and feels just like a standard hotel with hallways and maybe a store to look at.

New England Seaside resort is what I would say the theme is. I think alot of people would dissagree with you (Especially considering that the Yacht & Beach Club have the HIGHEST occupancy rates of all the WDW deluxe properties). Contemporary occupancy rates are among the lowest of the deluxe resorts. The Contemporary really has no theme at all. The Poly is the first WDW resort with a Theme, and they have stuck with themed resorts since that time.

Now I would like to say that the Contemporary has the best location of any WDW resort hands down. This still doesn't change the fact that the building itself is really not much different than many other hotels around the country (Minus the Monorail), and the DVC building is even more common looking.

We are planning on a big add-on, if or when, Contemporary becomes a DVC property.

Personally, I'm more concerned about the effect of the new Four Seasons resort that is being built across Bay Lake from the Contemporary. I think this will have a much larger impact on the area than a DVC tower. (image from Screamscape).

2007_FourSeasons_map.jpg

Personally, I'm more concerned about the effect of the new Four Seasons resort that is being built across Bay Lake from the Contemporary. I think this will have a much larger impact on the area than a DVC tower. (image from Screamscape).

2007_FourSeasons_map.jpg

YIKES! That's a HUGE area! :eek:

New England Seaside resort is what I would say the theme is. I think alot of people would dissagree with you (Especially considering that the Yacht & Beach Club have the HIGHEST occupancy rates of all the WDW deluxe properties). Contemporary occupancy rates are among the lowest of the deluxe resorts. The Contemporary really has no theme at all. The Poly is the first WDW resort with a Theme, and they have stuck with themed resorts since that time.

Now I would like to say that the Contemporary has the best location of any WDW resort hands down. This still doesn't change the fact that the building itself is really not much different than many other hotels around the country (Minus the Monorail), and the DVC building is even more common looking.
Evertime my family and I stay at the Contemporary they are always booked with guests there on vacations and guests there for conventions. So I have a hard time believing their occupancy rates are among the lowest of the Deluxe Resorts since they are always busy when I am there and without seeing any proof to back up that claim.

Aside from that I still say the Yacht & Beach Club is still like any other Hotel because all there is in the inside are just hallways, where as at the Contemporary they have the 4th floor concourse level where all the action happens and a lot more.

Evertime my family and I stay at the Contemporary they are always booked with guests there on vacations and guests there for conventions. So I have a hard time believing their occupancy rates are among the lowest of the Deluxe Resorts since they are always busy when I am there and without seeing any proof to back up that claim.

Aside from that I still say the Yacht & Beach Club is still like any other Hotel because all there is in the inside are just hallways, where as at the Contemporary they have the 4th floor concourse level where all the action happens and a lot more.

I am basing the occupancy rates on 2 things, one, what I have read posted here, and two, the last 3 time I have called CRO, the only rooms avaliable at the deluxe resorts has been CR and AKL. I think this is due in part to the (now demolished) north wing and the south wings which are a cut below the main CR tower. I don't want you to think that I totally hate the CR. I think the Location is great, and the California Grill is my favorite dinning venue on property. I just like theamed resorts better. I am candid with my feelings since a DVC at CR has not been announced.

Once they start selling DVC there, and we have members on this site that are owners, my lips are sealed.:rolleyes1

You really can't base the fact the the Contemporary is busy with a lot of people and say their occupancy is high. I agree that the tower occupancy is high, but would imagine the garden wings occupancy is low and that is what brings CRs occupancy rates down. Of course, now that one of the wings is a pile of rubbish, and the other has been refurbished, we may see the occupancy rates increase, because the number of rooms outside the tower itself has dropped dramatically.

Also the Contemporary (and Polynesian) for that matter have a lot of foot traffic of people who aren't staying there, because they are on the monorail and people want to see what a Disney Resort is like. Personally I think a DVC would probably help the CR along and bring new business into the complex. I can't see it being that much more crowded than it is. Chef Mickey's and the California Grill bring in a lot of outside business from other Disney hotels and even off property guests.

You really can't base the fact the the Contemporary is busy with a lot of people and say their occupancy is high. I agree that the tower occupancy is high, but would imagine the garden wings occupancy is low and that is what brings CRs occupancy rates down. Of course, now that one of the wings is a pile of rubbish, and the other has been refurbished, we may see the occupancy rates increase, because the number of rooms outside the tower itself has dropped dramatically.

I agree, the CR tower is a cool building, and have always enjoyed my stays/visits there. It does not have the in your face themeing that many of the other resorts have, but it does not just feel like any run of the mill hotel.

The CR garden building rooms, OTOH, are among the most bland accommodations at WDW, and I am sure are the reason the occupancy rates are low. Building a DVC there is the smartest thing they can do, in fact, they should destroy the south wing too and build that into a DVC. Get rid of the 15-story crescent building plans, destroy the south wing, and build two new "mini" CRV towers at each location that compliment the original and don't overshadow it.

I agree, the CR tower is a cool building, and have always enjoyed my stays/visits there. It does not have the in your face themeing that many of the other resorts have, but it does not just feel like any run of the mill hotel.

The CR garden building rooms, OTOH, are among the most bland accommodations at WDW, and I am sure are the reason the occupancy rates are low. Building a DVC there is the smartest thing they can do, in fact, they should destroy the south wing too and build that into a DVC. Get rid of the 15-story crescent building plans, destroy the south wing, and build two new "mini" CRV towers at each location that compliment the original and don't overshadow it.

I would think that would be an excellent plan. I think two 6 or 7 floor mini versions of the tower would be great, with a smaller version of the monorail going and coming from the wings to the main tower. Something similar to what they have at the airport.

I agree with CR Resort Fan 4 Life.

The major theming at the CR is on the inside where as at the YC &BC the theming is on the outside.

It does not mean the CR is laking in theming.

Compare Vegas resorts --- most of the theming of the Belligio, Vegas Hilton, Mandalay Bay and the Wynn (to name a few )is on the inside of the buildings. The outsides of those hotels are pretty standard.

Does that mean those hotels have no themes?

I think NOT!

Have fun at Disney!:wizard:

I would think that would be an excellent plan. I think two 6 or 7 floor mini versions of the tower would be great, with a smaller version of the monorail going and coming from the wings to the main tower. Something similar to what they have at the airport.

I wouldn't mind that design plan. You'd still have around 14 floors of DVC so the resort would be large enough.

Only trouble would be where to put the themed pool. DVC tends to put the pool in a central location so neither end feels left out.

And no I don't think a DVC would hurt the Contemporary. Some say it's so bland a stick of dynamite would be helpful. ;) For me, I think a new and better boarding platform to the monorail is in order. It could get mighty crowded on that elevator to that tiny loading bridge.

Compare Vegas resorts --- most of the theming of the Belligio, Vegas Hilton, Mandalay Bay and the Wynn (to name a few )is on the inside of the buildings. The outsides of those hotels are pretty standard.

Minnie61650, you just summed it up better than I ever could, Contemporary IS like a Vegas hotel. Exactly my point!

I agree with CR Resort Fan 4 Life.

The major theming at the CR is on the inside where as at the YC &BC the theming is on the outside.

It does not mean the CR is laking in theming.

Does that mean those hotels have no themes?

I think NOT!

That was very well said and it's good that you also see the Contemporary the same way I do. :thumbsup2

Get rid of the 15-story crescent building plans, destroy the south wing, and build two new "mini" CRV towers at each location that compliment the original and don't overshadow it.
There two things I see that won't work with your idea. 1st I don't see them wanting to tear down the South Garden Wing rooms for a very & I mean very long time since they were just renovated. 2nd If the South Garden Wings were to go then there would be a period of time when it would be even harder to stay just in the Tower of the Contemporary. With all the guests who stay there just for a vacation and the guests who stay for conventions it's very hard to book any room at the Contemporary, so that is why my family and I book months in advance. For our stay there this August we booked it last December and it's good we did because I checked online for fun to see if there were any rooms left, well as of right now from 8/7-8/17 which is the dates we will be there it's 100% sold out. Last month when we booked for December 2007 we were told the Atrium Club was 100% sold out from 12/15-12/25, so we booked a Garden View Concierge room at the Polynesian. So those are my reasons why it's a bad idea to get rid of the South Garden Wing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter