Ecv and buses

When I used to rent a large mobility scooter, I used to open the door and pull the mobility scooter in free wheel mode by the front tiller into my resort room using my back to briefly open the door and then with my free hand until I let it touch my mobility scooter. I turned to the side of the mobility scooter and held the door open long enough with one hand until I got the mobility scooter through the doorway.

It seemed like a tight fit for me back then, but in freewheel mode, it also seemed a lot easier to place the large mobility scooter next to the resort front window.

It was also easier to exit the room the same way.

Then I bought my own smaller 3-wheel mobility scooter and once I unlocked the door and opened the door, I used my walking cane to push the door open until I could reach the door with one hand and then I slower drove by the window to park.

It was harder, at the time, to back up and do the same in reverse, but I got better at it. If I didn't use the freewheel mode to leave the room, I put the speed dial at the lowest turtle speed to back out.

Now that I own my own electric wheelchair and I stay in the new Pop Century Resort with a roll-in shower and the fold up murphy queen bed, I have a lot more room.

Instead of using my cane, I approach the resort door head on and unlock and slightly open the door and hold it with my good left foot.

Then I use my outstretched stiff arm and the move my electric wheelchair forward opening the door as I advance until I have gone in far enough to pass the door and then I let the door close on its own.

I use my foot and stiff arm method when entering and exiting other doors. I could use my cane if I wanted to.

But with my arm outstretched and stiff, I use the power of my electric wheelchair to open any door.

It is easier if the door opens a certain way since I am left handed and my joystick is on my right-hand side. But I try to adapt and switch hands when that happens.

So for me, if I am approaching a doorway with two doors and most people enter the door on the left and exit on the right, I like using the door on the left because I am left-handed.

I approach the left door, reach out with my left hand to grab the handle, use my joystick to backup my electric wheelchair far enough for the left door to open. Then I use my left foot or cane to hold the door open as I switch my hand from the door handle to the inside of the door.

Then as I advance forward with my electric wheelchair, I continue to hold open the door with my left hand until I pass through the doorway.

If I have to use the right door, I switch hands which is a little more difficult for me, but it works.

Sometimes there is only a single door. If the handle to the door is on the right side, I am okay. If the single door's hander is on the left side then I have to switch hands.

I am also careful how I approach the door so that I am situated so that I can move straight back and the door opens with the best use and angle of my left arm and hand.

Clear as mud, right?

I apologize...too much coffee today.

Well, hopefully if enough people complain about the sensors they won't put them on the ECVs and will remove the ones they do have.
Naaahhhh........................
By putting those sensors on the ECV's they've taken the responsibility for avoiding a run over situation away from the customer and placed it firmly in their own legal lap.
Now, if/when a sensor kicks in, the ECV stops suddenly, the people behind the ECV don't react quickly enough and push their infant in it's stroller into the back end of the ECV and the infant is injured, WDW will likely be held responsible since the renting operator does not have full control of the vehicle due to their "safety" device.
This is a situation where the dumb clucks making the decision didn't think it all the was through and took it upon themselves to decide that they know better than the drivers when the ECV should stop of go.

Naaahhhh........................
By putting those sensors on the ECV's they've taken the responsibility for avoiding a run over situation away from the customer and placed it firmly in their own legal lap.
Now, if/when a sensor kicks in, the ECV stops suddenly, the people behind the ECV don't react quickly enough and push their infant in it's stroller into the back end of the ECV and the infant is injured, WDW will likely be held responsible since the renting operator does not have full control of the vehicle due to their "safety" device.
This is a situation where the dumb clucks making the decision didn't think it all the was through and took it upon themselves to decide that they know better than the drivers when the ECV should stop of go.

I wonder if they will start putting sensors on their strollers to keep them from running in front of the mobility scooters and wheelchairs?

I wonder if they will start putting sensors on their strollers to keep them from running in front of the mobility scooters and wheelchairs?
That'd be logical considering the sensors on the ECV's.
Imagine dad pushing the stroller at top speed to get to their FP in time, the brakes kick in, and he goes over the handlebar. :D

reductio ad ridiculum: Let's put the sensors into the Magic Bands... now no one can move into the path of anyone else... resulting in total gridlock and maybe - just maybe - then the sensors will be removed from the ECVs.

The problem does not lie (fully) with the ECV drivers, nor does it lie (fully) with the bi-pedal Guests or the stroller pushers. The solution to the problem is a return to civility, courtesy, respect, and putting down your phone, and paying attention to your surroundings.

OMG. I think I just officially became an old geezer. GET OFF MY GRASS YOU DANG KIDS!!!

reductio ad ridiculum: Let's put the sensors into the Magic Bands... now no one can move into the path of anyone else... resulting in total gridlock and maybe - just maybe - then the sensors will be removed from the ECVs.

The problem does not lie (fully) with the ECV drivers, nor does it lie (fully) with the bi-pedal Guests or the stroller pushers. The solution to the problem is a return to civility, courtesy, respect, and putting down your phone, and paying attention to your surroundings.

OMG. I think I just officially became an old geezer. GET OFF MY GRASS YOU DANG KIDS!!!
And now your journey to the Dark Side has begun........... HaHaHaHaHa. :darth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter