Escape from Gringotts just.... meh

The reference to the mine train was only to compare the "drop" aspect to the Gringotts ride. I am not comparing the two rides. If I were, I would reinforce how the Mine train is a roller coaster, and the Gringotts ride definitely is not. The reviews I read that people say it is "part roller coaster, and part dark ride" I feel is inaccurate, as the only roller coastery thing about the ride is the small drop at the beginning. After which, is all "3d movie" ride.
I appreciate the comment that I am only bashing the ride because I am a "Disney apologist-Fan", but honestly, we spend equal time between the two since moving here. FJ is currently our favorite ride. Universal and IOA, our favorite parks.
My opinion solely stems from being completely let down by this ride. After FJ broke all the rules, and brought us the real life animatronics mixed with video immersion, the addition of a "mummy-type" ride car on rails promised a roller coaster experience, that when added to the FJ technologies was going to be INCREDIBLE! What we received, however, was a great queue (again), a mumbled Weasley story line with holes and inaudible audio, an incredible giant set, and no payoff. At the end, we looked at each other and said.... SERIOUSLY? Where's the big finish? Where's the hallelujah moment? Where's the "holy crap, that was cool" exclamation? Even on transformers you get that big ending where Optimus gets in your face, on Spider-Man you get the net saving drop, on the Mummy you get the surprise drop. On this ride, the ending is just.... Meh.
Imho

fair enough. I mis understood that you were only talking about the drop with your comparison. I apologise if I came across rude asking if you were maybe a bit biased as a poss big dis fan.

Of course everyone will have a different take on rides. It is just I read so many amazing reviews. Until we ride ourselves that is all we have to go on :)

Everyone loves Hulk I feel very over rated lol. Most would disagree with me but again just my take.
I hope you ride Gringots again sometime and maybe just maybe you will find it a bit a bit better.. May not ofc lol.
It is poss they were having sound issues with Ron? I know they had a lot of problems.

Shame there is no big finish by the sound of it though.

I appreciate the comment that I am only bashing the ride because I am a "Disney apologist-Fan",...

...a mumbled Weasley story line with holes and inaudible audio...

FWIW no one used the word "apologist".

Yours is the first review I've read about the mumbled words. Speaking as someone who cannot understand most of the words used in the Transformers ride and some of Spiderman, and who would LOVE to blame it on the rides even though my son and husband can hear them just fine...if you are among the few who can't hear it...again, from my experience, you might get your hearing checked. I know I have to! (but then I can't blame the rides anymore)

Here's a good POV video for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a15SP_b4LJs

There were lots of people screaming at the end, so something exciting must have happened. I thought that was where the launch occurs.

OP, do you mean that Bill Weasley's lines are garbled?

I wondered that as well. Crossing my fingers. If this thing doesn't pull more g's than the Mine Ride I think I will puke.

Out of all the HP books-is this not the best opportunity to create a physical coaster to go with the stories?

I mean it has an actual coaster in the movie-and they blow it on this? This same "story ride" could easily have been there as well, but save the "coaster part" for another attraction IMO.

They were on the right track with the teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e7pNiZNi3M

I do however let US off the hook for (apparently) keeping it family friendly-WDW made a living on that concept. It's just nice to have D Challenge sitting next door to FJ for some thrills (and not just video drops)-maybe they will add something going forward at DA as well. :thumbsup2

A few more responses from twitter this afternoon...

Gringotts may take forever to get into, but it's beautiful.

On and off #gringotts in an hour--single rider. Sound was off in 2 rooms but WOW!! Need to ride a few more to take it all in!!

The gringotts ride feels so real

Had a great time at Universal yesterday!! Rode Hogwarts express, transformers, twister and GRINGOTTS!

Gringotts is so sick

One thing I still can't believe: most guests absolutely love Gringotts and are happily waiting 4 hours for it to reride *speechless*

A few more used language I can't repeat here, lol.

Completely agree, it is beautiful! Gorgeous, amazing, perfectly themed. Could be an awesome walk through. As a ride?... meh.

A few more responses from twitter this afternoon... On and off #gringotts in an hour--single rider. Sound was off in 2 rooms but WOW!! Need to ride a few more to take it all in!!

Ha! That's my tweet!

Having finally rode on Mine Train last week and Gringotts today, no, you can't really compare the two. They're two different styled rides as a few posters have noted. For what Mine Train is, it's fantastic!

Gringotts for me, was very, very good. The sound being out/off sequence in two scenes (which I'm thinking were pretty pivotal) kind of threw things off. I'm also someone who needs to see things a few times to really let it all sink in. It wasn't until my second time in Diagon that I really absorbed how immersive it all is. If I remember correctly, it also took me a few rides on Forbidden Journey to really enjoy/appreciate it, and now I absolutely love it. THAT ride is still tops in my book. Gringotts is, I feel, a lot tamer and will allow more folks to enjoy Potter's world.

I thought the ride was amazing. We rode it three times. At the end of the ride, everyone was clapping and cheering, which added to the fun.

I wondered that as well. Crossing my fingers. If this thing doesn't pull more g's than the Mine Ride I think I will puke.

Out of all the HP books-is this not the best opportunity to create a physical coaster to go with the stories?

I mean it has an actual coaster in the movie-and they blow it on this? This same "story ride" could easily have been there as well, but save the "coaster part" for another attraction IMO.

They were on the right track with the teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e7pNiZNi3M

I do however let US off the hook for (apparently) keeping it family friendly-WDW made a living on that concept. It's just nice to have D Challenge sitting next door to FJ for some thrills (and not just video drops)-maybe they will add something going forward at DA as well. :thumbsup2

This..

Even though I am sure the ride is amazing and I love 3D stuff if done well.
I was expecting a real coaster like mine train ride. After all in the first book and last book it showed Harry etc on this mine train thing. It would have been epic to have a ride like that..

Still as said cannot wait to ride this.
I don't think this is the last attraction planned. Not sure what else they can do. I hope they do something like FJ again :)

Silly question. I see reference to a small drop. How 'far' are we talking? My daughter is not a fan of drops but hoping if I can let her know its expected and tell her about it in advance she will be ok about it. Thx!

Imagine a really fast escalator, into a dark parking garage, with a movie at the bottom.

Yes, I'm referring to the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. Which is an incredible ride and blows the escape from Gringotts out of the water (imo)

Hate to disagree with you, but I for one was extremely disappointed in the new Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, thought it was a HUGE disappointment, lasted about 30 seconds. The theming was OK but was WAY too short IMO. I have not done Gringotts yet but I can't imagine it being worse than 7 dwarfs.

This..

Even though I am sure the ride is amazing and I love 3D stuff if done well.
I was expecting a real coaster like mine train ride. After all in the first book and last book it showed Harry etc on this mine train thing. It would have been epic to have a ride like that..

Still as said cannot wait to ride this.
I don't think this is the last attraction planned. Not sure what else they can do. I hope they do something like FJ again :)

Yep I'm quite encouraged on this ride itself-sounds awesome really. Was just hoping us thrill junkies would get the coaster this opportunity/storyline presented.

Or like Mission Space-I wish there were two lines. One with the tamer current offering, and one that goes on a "detour" with a Rockin Roller Coaster acceleration and similar looping track. Now that would be the ride of all rides IMO.

Yep I'm quite encouraged on this ride itself-sounds awesome really. Was just hoping us thrill junkies would get the coaster this opportunity/storyline presented.

Or like Mission Space-I wish there were two lines. One with the tamer current offering, and one that goes on a "detour" with a Rockin Roller Coaster acceleration and similar looping track. Now that would be the ride of all rides IMO.

Apparently, riding in the back row gives a lot more thrills than the front.

Imagine a really fast escalator, into a dark parking garage, with a movie at the bottom.

This is a good description, but now far? I have two 6yo girls who don't do coasters. (and a mom who doesn't do coasters either! ;) ) I imagine a fast escalator to be rather slow still, certainly not coaster-ish. Trying to figure it all out.

ArwenMarie said:
Sounds good to me, but I'm not a huge FJ fan. It's a bit much for me.

Is it more mellow than FJ? Is it on the same level as Spiderman in terms of scaryness?

My bff who can't ride FJ bc it makes her nauseous said Gringotts is a much smoother ride and I agree, but I actually think FJ is the better ride.

jsoren11 said:
Yes, I'm referring to the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. Which is an incredible ride and blows the escape from Gringotts out of the water (imo)

I would hardly call 7DMT incredible. The set is rather boring and based on a movie that is over 80 years old. What is new or technologically advanced or thrilling about 7DMT?

Gringotts brings something new and exciting to the table. It isn't something you will find anywhere else and pushes the technology envelope.

7DMT is a glorified BTMRR. Yawn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter