Escape from Gringotts just.... meh

I get the impression that Universal decided to go family friendly and that is disappointing some people which is understandable. They also have limited space and might be relying a bit too much on screens because of that. I don't mind screens but I can see that others might not be as enthused.

I'm still excited to see it all though. Even if just to try the butter beer ice cream.

I've heard rumours of another ride going in there.

Now your talking my language-hoping it's HP and thrill related, right next door like D Challenge is to FJ. :thumbsup2

dumb.jpg

I get the impression that Universal decided to go family friendly and that is disappointing some people which is understandable. They also have limited space and might be relying a bit too much on screens because of that. I don't mind screens but I can see that others might not be as enthused.

I'm still excited to see it all though. Even if just to try the butter beer ice cream.

I was there the week before Gringots opened and only got to experience Diagon Alley but Yeah, I have my own fears that Universal may start to tone everything down in order to cater to all the people visiting that normally would have done a Disney only trip. This puts them in the position of perhaps creating milder rides that are more family friendly but not as exciting as what many of us have always enjoyed there.

While my preference is a well done animatronic, given the choice, especially where real people are involved I prefer a well done projection like the Musion's in Disaster and the Harry Potter queue over a poorly done animatronic like Ellen in Ellen's Energy Adventure.

wizardingworld_stars2011ww.jpg

Vs

Energy06b.jpg

While my preference is a well done animatronic, given the choice, especially where real people are involved I prefer a well done projection like the Musion's in Disaster and the Harry Potter queue over a poorly done animatronic like Ellen in Ellen's Energy Adventure.

wizardingworld_stars2011ww.jpg

Vs

Energy06b.jpg

:rotfl: well 32 years should change things a bit

Many of Disney's animatronics now use projections as well. The Cars in Radiator Springs Racers and the dwarfs in Seven Dwarf Mine Train both use projections although they are on a 3D form.

:rotfl: well 32 years should change things a bit

Ellen was added to Universe of energy only 18 years ago.:rolleyes1 And, is just a bad lifelike animatronic. The animatronics in American Adventure are 32 years old and are much better.
The-American-Adventure_Full_10365.jpg

Technology isn't everything. My favorite ride is Splash Mountain and it has very basic technology.

I found Gringott's que to be amazing and the ride to be hard to understand (dialogue), not overly impressive 3D and too dark. Far from the best thing Universal has done. Same for Hogwart's Express. I found that incredibly underwhelming. Diagon Alley is amazing, but I'll take FJ any day.

Ellen was added to Universe of energy only 18 years ago.:rolleyes1 And, is just a bad lifelike animatronic. The animatronics in American Adventure are 32 years old and are much better.

Oh sorry thought it opened with EPCOT-but "only 18 years" is kinda laughable anyway.

AE is all about animatronics where Ellen's is not.

I always assumed the ride was kinda tongue in cheek anyway, but it's not quite as bad as the pic above.

ellen.jpg

Yes, but honestly we only have paintings of said people and not modern real-life counterparts to compare them to. ;)

I believe the Ellen animatronic used to be in another attraction before it was put in UOE, but can't remember which one.

Some animatronics are recycled, for example, Andrew Jackson's former Hall of Presidents face is now on one of the renaissance people (think reading a book?) on Spaceship Earth.

Edit: I think the worst part about the Ellen one is the hair, just doesn't look right at all

Ellen is pretty bad but Ripley in the GMR is even worse. Both of them really need to be redone stat!

Ellen and Bill Nye were added to Universe of Energy during a redo many years ago. I don't think that Ellen was in anything else before that.

Technology isn't everything. My favorite ride is Splash Mountain and it has very basic technology.

I would agree, Splash Mountain is one of my favorite rides as well. I think the key is attention to detail. On Splash Mountain they paid attention to every detail. Journey of the Little Mermaid isn't bad but it's missing that something that makes it great. The queue to the old Dueling Dragon was excellent and everything except the opening video was static. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlJT_-0zqYk

Now your talking my language-hoping it's HP and thrill related, right next door like D Challenge is to FJ. :thumbsup2

dumb.jpg

Does the Ministry of Magic ring a bell? :confused3

And how many thrill rides with massive G's can one really take in a "half day park" anyway? ;)

I found Gringott's que to be amazing and the ride to be hard to understand (dialogue), not overly impressive 3D and too dark. Far from the best thing Universal has done. Same for Hogwart's Express. I found that incredibly underwhelming. Diagon Alley is amazing, but I'll take FJ any day.

It's weird how people's opinions can be so different. From postings today:

I agree, the scenes blend so well it was difficult to tell what is real. In particular, the scene when the Goblin is running along the lower platform, I was convinced the upper platform and vaults were physical pieces. My 3rd ride, I went without glasses and was stunned the entire wall was a screen. Ingeniously, the protruding platform above the goblin shifts to change perspective as the ride vehicle moves across. Absolutely brilliant.

The only scene that really came a cross as a screen to me is the first scene with the trolls. Everything else was hard to tell.

Seriously, the most amazing screen tech and 3D I've ever seen. I think it's a disservice to this attraction to say it's in the same vein as Spidey/Transformers.

http://www.orlandounited.com/forums/showthread.php/8942-Harry-Potter-and-the-Escape-from-Gringotts/page63

Opinions are all over the place about all attractions. How many people are crazy about TSMM? After all it's all about screens too.

Opinions are all over the place about all attractions. How many people are crazy about TSMM? After all it's all about screens too.

I can guarantee that my elbow will not be killing me when I step off Gringotts either!:thumbsup2

And then there is the whole Soarin 2.0 in 3D they are putting in Avatarland. I bet screens will be perfectly acceptable then. :rolleyes1

I can guarantee that my elbow will not be killing me when I step off Gringotts either!:thumbsup2

And then there is the whole Soarin 2.0 in 3D they are putting in Avatarland. I bet screens will be perfectly acceptable then. :rolleyes1

Are there any newer attractions at WDW that don't use screens or are just kiddie rides? I might be forgetting some but that seems to be what the themeparks use a lot nowadays.

Are there any newer attractions at WDW that don't use screens or are just kiddie rides? I might be forgetting some but that seems to be what the themeparks use a lot nowadays.

Not that I can think of.:confused3 But then again...you used the word "newer" and WDW in the same sentence.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter