Escape from Gringotts just.... meh

If the technology window includes a movie screen, 3d glasses, and an escalator down to the basement of a parking garage, FJ took these simulator rides to a different level with awesome real effects mixed with audible, understandable story line, and a new ride vehicle. EFG relies on Potter fanboys to keep the lines long with recycled mummy ride vehicles, a poor stereo system, and old 3d technology.
I'm not arguing 7DMT Vs. EFG, but just the fact that so many are, proves what a dinky ride EFG is. Sure 7DMT is not a scary roller coaster, but it's in Fantasyland, Between teacups and Dumbo! They aren't going to put cheetah hunt there! The 7DMT is incredible based on its layout, it's location, it's animatronics, and it's ingenious ride vehicle. The smooth, fast takeoff thrills you unexpectedly for the first time rider, the speedy swinging snaking trip through the enchanted forest is exciting, then all the eye candy of the mine cave is topped off with a perfect sized drop for the whole family from a storybook view of Belles village and Cinderella's castle to a peek inside the Dwarf's cabin.
Now, you describe EFG to me and see if you can invoke any excitement whatsoever. Anything.... Story line? I don't get it.

I would hardly call 7DMT incredible. The set is rather boring and based on a movie that is over 80 years old. What is new or technologically advanced or thrilling about 7DMT?

Gringotts brings something new and exciting to the table. It isn't something you will find anywhere else and pushes the technology envelope.

7DMT is a glorified BTMRR. Yawn.

1. First-of-their-kind swinging ride vehicles.

2. Animatronics using inside projection technology for the dwarfs' faces.

You may not be impressed (and I wasn't particularly by the swinging cars), but these are new and technologically-advanced aspects of the ride.

Since you asked. ;)

Here is a better night vision POV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp4eQNVx2Wk

Incredible looking ride!

I just watched the you tube link. thank you SO much for that!

there were 2 versions. the night vision verson, and then the "regular" version.

does anyone know if there is anything we can do to get the "night vision" version? anyspecial glasses we could buy? whoever filmed that for you tube, got it somehow.. I would like to know how. (as my husband has macular degenertion and would like to see as much as possible in these dark thrill rides.. he is a thrill ride junkie!

I just watched the you tube link. thank you SO much for that!

there were 2 versions. the night vision verson, and then the "regular" version.

does anyone know if there is anything we can do to get the "night vision" version? anyspecial glasses we could buy? whoever filmed that for you tube, got it somehow.. I would like to know how. (as my husband has macular degenertion and would like to see as much as possible in these dark thrill rides.. he is a thrill ride junkie!

Not sure on glasses themselves, the army ones are thousands of dollars of course-but then you loose all the color. I don't think the ride itself would be nearly as good.

They just filmed it with night vision setting on the video camera I would assume-ours from 1999 had that setting.

But now you can buy tiny HD night video cams for $79

1920x1080 HD Mini DV IR Night Vision

This product is the world’s first Mini DV camera, which has the features of simple operation, small and exquisite, beautiful and practical, easy to carry, is a practical tool in business, education, security, media, justice, tourism, health, life, etc.. Favored by the majority of users. Users need to strictly in accordance with the guide of instructions to use this product, because if you damage this product by the improper product operation, our company will no longer provide warranty and after sale service for it.

cam.jpg

I wondered that as well. Crossing my fingers. If this thing doesn't pull more g's than the Mine Ride I think I will puke.

Out of all the HP books-is this not the best opportunity to create a physical coaster to go with the stories?

I mean it has an actual coaster in the movie-and they blow it on this? This same "story ride" could easily have been there as well, but save the "coaster part" for another attraction IMO.

They were on the right track with the teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e7pNiZNi3M

I do however let US off the hook for (apparently) keeping it family friendly-WDW made a living on that concept. It's just nice to have D Challenge sitting next door to FJ for some thrills (and not just video drops)-maybe they will add something going forward at DA as well. :thumbsup2

I completely agree!! They should have used this opportunity to create an amazing and unique roller coaster!

I completely agree!! They should have used this opportunity to create an amazing and unique roller coaster!

And that would have alienated a huge portion of the fan base. I think Universal is really trying to give something that a bigger percentage of people can ride. We continually hear that Universal/IOA is just about thrill rides and that they need more family rides.

I hope to hear more about how vigorous this ride is.

We go next week. My teen has a spinal cord injury with rods in his neck. Checking with the doctor Monday. I know other kids with same condition have gone on coasters at Six Flags, but my son doesn't want to be uncomfortable.

And that would have alienated a huge portion of the fan base. I think Universal is really trying to give something that a bigger percentage of people can ride. We continually hear that Universal/IOA is just about thrill rides and that they need more family rides.

That's so true.

We've been hearing for years, usually from people who have never been, how Universal is only full of big thrill rides and not child friendly.

I love coasters, but I like that this is one that the family can go on together.

You can't please everyone.

That's so true.

We've been hearing for years, usually from people who have never been, how Universal is only full of big thrill rides and not child friendly.

I love coasters, but I like that this is one that the family can go on together.

Agreed, they already have 3 (4 if you count fire and ice, or whatever they are called now, separately) coasters that IMO are all very enjoyable. I don't see the need to add another, plus, that would have seemed like a cheap cop out given how impressive FJ was and still is.

I think in fairness, the description of the experience via the books, the visual of the movie, and Universal's own early marketing, probably set the expectation that this attraction was going to be some kind of elaborate next generation coaster.

I think that's a fair assumption - hence some of the comments on the board.

That being said, it doesn't mean it's a bad ride or experience; I'm anticipating that it's going to be awesome, and I can't wait to experience it for myself.

But I can objectively (if the descriptions are true) see why someone might be disappointed that the attraction didn't have a "greater" coaster element to it. Coaster doesn't necessarily mean non-family friendly.

To me (maybe just my perception), I honestly thought this was going to be some wild coaster / simulation experience -- based on Universal's teaser's alone ....

I'm still pumped and excited to see the parks for the first time and try it out myself - along with everything else. I'm anticipating that it's going to be great! :goodvibes

Yep I'm quite encouraged on this ride itself-sounds awesome really. Was just hoping us thrill junkies would get the coaster this opportunity/storyline presented.

Or like Mission Space-I wish there were two lines. One with the tamer current offering, and one that goes on a "detour" with a Rockin Roller Coaster acceleration and similar looping track. Now that would be the ride of all rides IMO.

That's so true.

Agreed, they already have 3 (4 if you count fire and ice, or whatever they are called now, separately) coasters that IMO are all very enjoyable. I don't see the need to add another, plus, that would have seemed like a cheap cop out given how impressive FJ was and still is.

But they could have either had the green/orange and pleased "EVERYONE", or they could have made a very similar "movie attraction" but had the Gringotts coaster next door IMO and pleased "EVERYONE".

I would have preferred a green/orange (over 2 sep rides) and one turn the track goes off into another more intense looping area (even Mummy like or RNR) before returning to the ending.

Actually even just having the Mine Train track in here would be a great improvement IMO-in the dark with screens it would prob be enough.

It obviously has the track system to do that:

Gring3.png

gring4.png

Also keep in mind a lot of us are wishful thinkers, and given the choice of one attraction either the way it is-our the way it is with an extreme coaster section-UNI made the right decision to go soft IMO (as WDW does). It will allow far more riders and may end up with the bigger success overall.

That in the end is more pressure on WDW. But it also shows/confirms WDW is doing the right thing with "family friendly" decisions-and many of us have been hoping they would be forced to step up the "thrill" experience.

Just wishing the "coaster element" that was such low hanging fruit from the books had somehow been utilized more effectively.

That's not bashing the ride or UNI IMO-that's just venting.

I agree with many in this post. We waited nearly 4 hours for Gringott's this week, and I was so excited to ride it. I loved it, but if I'm being honest, I'm still more impressed by FJ. I remember my first time on FJ, and I remember it being exceptionally stimulating and exciting. Gringott's is terrific, but it wasn't particularly innovative, except for the queue.

However, my sister does not know anything about Harry Potter and she can be iffy on thrill rides. FJ made her feel very ill, while Gringott's was not an issue for her at all. Of course, she had no clue what was going on with the story and couldn't even figure out good vs. bad until Harry arrived. Still, she'd prefer Gringott's if given a choice (and a shorter line).

Personally, the Hogwarts Express was my favorite part of DA.

But they could have either had the green/orange and pleased "EVERYONE", or they could have made a very similar "movie attraction" but had the Gringotts coaster next door IMO and pleased "EVERYONE".

I would have preferred a green/orange (over 2 sep rides) and one turn the track goes off into another more intense looping area (even Mummy like or RNR) before returning to the ending.

Actually even just having the Mine Train track in here would be a great improvement IMO-in the dark with screens it would prob be enough.

It obviously has the track system to do that:

I don't think they had the space to do two separate track systems. I think they did the right thing with a ride that has a lower height limit. There are too few of them as it is.

I don't think they had the space to do two separate track systems. I think they did the right thing with a ride that has a lower height limit. There are too few of them as it is.

Yea space is limited at UNI/IOA unfortunately compared to WDW. Fear factor could go IMO if they had really wanted.

Some people are just a little less enthusiastic about rides based on screens, even if the technology is impressively executed. I haven't had a chance to ride Gringotts yet (that will be in October), but I was a little disappointed to hear that it has few or no physical effects, unlike FJ. I love the dragon, the whomping willow and the Dementors from that ride. In Gringotts, why are the AAs all in the queue?

I remember when Transformers and Radiator Springs Racers both opened in summer 2012. Of the two, Transformers seems to be the more cutting-edge ride. Yet, I prefer RSR because it has physical sets and AAs, whereas Transformers is mostly about screens. And I'm saying this as someone who's always been a sucker for 3D!

When Spider-Man first opened, it was certainly a highly advanced and innovative ride -- and Transformers pushed the envelope even more when it comes to 3D/4D rides. That seems to be the case with Gringotts, too. But, for all the technological advances that Universal has pioneered, I'm afraid that critics have a point when they say that Universal relies too heavily on screens. A little more balance would be good.

Disney may not be innovating as much, but they more often put something in front of you which is real, which could be touched (if you were close enough). And our minds can tell the difference.

This is not meant as a criticism of Universal. I just want to add to this discussion by pointing out that cutting edge tech is not the be all and end all when it comes to the ride experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter