Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

I can see it now:

"I'm wearing a Mickey Mouse teeshirt, and my DD5 is wearing an adorable light blue Cinderella dress. We're standing right next to a big, really smelly guy wearing a dirty wife-beater with some kind of slogan on the front that I don't understand."

"Me, DH and DS10, DD8 and DD6 need to get to Poly for our ressie at O'hanas."

Interesting Uber experience yesterday. I selected an Uber X to go from the Contemporary to Port Orleans French Quarter but a guy driving a Toyota Sienna showed up and when I told him I had selected the Uber X he became very indignant and told me not to worry about it. When I got emailed receipt the amt was not the lower price for the Uber X but the higher by $5 price for the Uber XL.
Just me. I had one suitcase
Okay, that stinks.
  • Open your Uber rider app
  • tap the 3 menu bars in the upper left corner
  • Tap "Help" Your most recent ride will display. If that's NOT the ride in question go back and tap "Your Trips" and select the correct ride.
  • Tap "Review my fare or fees"
  • Tap "I had a different issue with my charge"
    • fill in the "share details" area
    • explaining that you were one person, alone, with one suitcase.
    • You ordered an X ride -- which is the appropriate ride
    • the driver was upset to learn that it was an X ride and expressed their anger to you
    • after the fact, the driver changed the fare to an XL fare -- which is NOT what you ordered, and NOT what is required for a single rider.
  • Don't include any more detail than that, don't go into irrelevant issues. Focus on the real issue: the driver changed the fare to a bogus fare.
You should have zero difficulty getting this upcharge reversed.

If all else fails (it won't), dispute the charge with your credit card company.

Okay, that stinks.
  • Open your Uber rider app
  • tap the 3 menu bars in the upper left corner
  • Tap "Help" Your most recent ride will display. If that's NOT the ride in question go back and tap "Your Trips" and select the correct ride.
  • Tap "Review my fare or fees"
  • Tap "I had a different issue with my charge"
    • fill in the "share details" area
    • explaining that you were one person, alone, with one suitcase.
    • You ordered an X ride -- which is the appropriate ride
    • the driver was upset to learn that it was an X ride and expressed their anger to you
    • after the fact, the driver changed the fare to an XL fare -- which is NOT what you ordered, and NOT what is required for a single rider.
  • Don't include any more detail than that, don't go into irrelevant issues. Focus on the real issue: the driver changed the fare to a bogus fare.
You should have zero difficulty getting this upcharge reversed.

If all else fails (it won't), dispute the charge with your credit card company.

Thank you I will do this!

How much time should we allow for driver to arrive at Pop Century for early morning pick-up? And how long does it take for driver to arrive at Universal for ride back to resort?

How much time should we allow for driver to arrive at Pop Century for early morning pick-up? And how long does it take for driver to arrive at Universal for ride back to resort?
Before you place your ride request, you will see an estimated pickup time on the app, and Uber may also give you an estimated arrival time at your destination. You'll also be able to see the driver en route to you with updated pickup info. That info, incidentally, is often delayed because of the GPS delay and the driver will often arrive BEFORE the predicted time.

I'll let local people give you more specifics than I can, but you shouldn't have a long wait. I know here in Miami, I never accept ride requests that are more than 7-8 minutes drive time away. Most of my pickups are 1-4 minutes.

I would expect Universal pickups to be very quick. I'd expect a good number of drivers to be hanging out there waiting for rides.

5 minutes for either is avg. I find the wait at Disney is usually a minute or two more due to where the drivers stage

NEW LYFT RIDE CLASSIFICATIONS
Lyft changed their vehicle descriptions yesterday to make them more descriptive and easier to understand. In other words, they copied Uber's pretty much verbatim! Here are the new designations:
  • Regular Lyft remains Lyft -- that's the standard ride for up to 4 people with no luggage
  • Lyft Line (not available in Orlando) becomes Lyft Shared -- shared ride in a standard vehicle for up to two people, with detours and additional riders added along the way.
  • Lyft Plus becomes Lyft XL -- SUV or minivan with seating for up to six passengers -- same as Uber
  • Lyft Premier becomes Lyft Lux -- high-end vehicle for up to four passengers (but you might also get an SUV). If you want a nicer ride, this is a MUCH better deal than the Black options!
  • The old Lyft Lux becomes Lux Black -- high-end black vehicle for up to four passengers
  • The old Lux SUV becomes Lux Black XL -- high-end black SUV for up to six passengers
There will likely be some confusion at first, because Lyft appears to have rolled out the changes to their DRIVER app only on Apple. Hopefully they'll get that fixed in a reasonable timeframe.

And hopefully, none of this will affect Disney MinnieVans on Lyft. It shouldn't.

No change in fares that we know of; just a cosmetic change.

UBER VEHICLE REQUIREMENT CHANGES
Uber has also made an important change in their vehicle requirements -- at least in the South Florida and Orlando markets. This change may not apply where you live, but it will apply for WDW trips.

UberX and XL vehicles can now be 15 years old (formerly 10). This change was apparently made to facilitate hiring more drivers by lowering the standards for the vehicles. The vehicles still should be in good operating order, with working air conditioning, and no damage.

Speaking of updates, I saw that my last Uber update included Bike rentals (for those that have access to the feature)

Speaking of updates, I saw that my last Uber update included Bike rentals (for those that have access to the feature)
Yes. Uber bought some bike rental company and may be offering bike rentals in a few markets. I think they are also trying to get into electric scooters and electric bicycles.

Lime Bike tried electric scooters for about two weeks here in Miami and immediately terminated the program. Where they were trying to rent them, I suspect many got stolen, lol.

Yes. Uber bought some bike rental company and may be offering bike rentals in a few markets. I think they are also trying to get into electric scooters and electric bicycles.

Lime Bike tried electric scooters for about two weeks here in Miami and immediately terminated the program. Where they were trying to rent them, I suspect many got stolen, lol.
Interestingly, it doesn't appear to be available here yet we do have a very active, and large, bike rental service here. It's been up and running for several years. And apparently quite successful, it's expanding again. I guess they aren't part of the brand Uber bought.
https://bikechattanooga.com/about/

Interestingly, it doesn't appear to be available here yet we do have a very active, and large, bike rental service here. It's been up and running for several years. And apparently quite successful, it's expanding again. I guess they aren't part of the brand Uber bought.
https://bikechattanooga.com/about/
We have Citibike (several years and very successful) and LimeBike (new).

The Citibikes are secured in stands -- you pick up a bike from one stand and turn it in at another stand. I see Citibikes being ridden constantly -- especially around Miami Beach and between downtown and South Beach, a beautiful, easy 4-mile ride.

LimeBikes have no fixed locations, and are apparently scattered by the franchise holder for you to pick up and drop off wherever. They've been out maybe 6 months and I have seen exactly ONE actually being ridden.

Sorry, but Angi and I got distracted talking about bikes in other cities.

The new info on vehicle choices and requirements is in post #2069 above...

:drive: What do you guys think, how hard would it be to get Uber on Oct 31st at 3:20, 4:20 and 5pm. So THREE separate trips. Has anyone used them on Oct 31st at WDW? Are they easily obtainable?
Currently I only have Uber gift cards so Lyft and Minnie Vans are not an option. I have never used this type of service before and have no idea of what to expect. Thank you

:drive: What do you guys think, how hard would it be to get Uber on Oct 31st at 3:20, 4:20 and 5pm. So THREE separate trips. Has anyone used them on Oct 31st at WDW? Are they easily obtainable?
Currently I only have Uber gift cards so Lyft and Minnie Vans are not an option. I have never used this type of service before and have no idea of what to expect. Thank you
Easy peasy...but be prepared for Halloween costumes!

Is it possible to book one Uber driver for X amount from like 3pm to 5pm? On Oct 31st
Um...most likely not in the usual sense. An Uber/Lyft driver cannot do rides for cash, or off-the-app legally -- and you shouldn't be doing business with anyone who is handling your transaction illegally.

There is a legal way, but it really depends on whether it would work out well for both you and the driver. What exactly are you trying to do?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter