Face mask policy & children with autism

I have 2 sons with autism, 14 and 16. My 14 year old CANNOT handle cloth facemasks. He had a massive meltdown on Monday after a Target run where he came with me. He was SO overwhelmed by sensory things on his face: the heat, sweat, damp hot feeling, and itchiness drove him mad.

Yesterday, I showed him a KN95 mask. He wore it for an hour and it was a totally different experience. No complaints.

I'd suggest getting LOTS of different mask types and trial them at home NOW to see how well the kids tolerate them.

We are DL locals and this son who had the hard time is DYING to get back to our regular park visits, but I already warned him that he would have to wear a mask.

However, I DID hear that Disney will make exceptions to the policy for people unable to wear a mask for a medical reason. So, there might be an out. I have heard there may be a wristband type indicator to give to those who can't wear masks who stop by Guest Relations and explain the situation, so that they won't be targeted by the "mask police" in the parks.

Hi, please let me know how or where did you hear this info about Disney possibly making exceptions for people who are unable to wear masks for medical reasons.

Any information would be very helpful because I have been hopeful that some information such as this would come out so I really do appreciate your response and hope this is not just a rumor -fingers crossed

Hi, please let me know how or where did you hear this info about Disney possibly making exceptions for people who are unable to wear masks for medical reasons.

Any information would be very helpful because I have been hopeful that some information such as this would come out so I really do appreciate your response and hope this is not just a rumor -fingers crossed

That post was in late May, before Disney definitely said no exceptions for medical/disabled.

Unfortunately, I don't see it happening. The idea of a mask is to prevent the wearer from sharing their germs. So someone with a wrist band would be expecting everyone else to trust that they haven't been exposed, and are not a carrier of Covid. Which is a lot to expect of everyone else. Also we all know that if it got out that Disney was handing out some sort of wrist band that the line at Guest Services would be massive. As Disney couldn't ask for a medical note of some sort, many would claim they had a medical condition that made it impossible to wear a mask. Which would render masks all but useless.

I just wanted to post a quick FYI...

As an educator I have been buying different masks each week roughly, trying different materials, different designs, different methods etc.. to figure out what I can wear all day every day when back in the classroom and beyond. I have tried a lot lol... I am also the parent of 3 special needs ASD children with varying degrees of characteristics and manifestations. They all like different masks, 1 likes them super duper tight to their face almost ripping their ears off! 1 likes it nice and what I would consider 'normal'.. the other really doesn't care either way.

My latest mask was one with the built in KN95 filtered electric fan by Xiaomi:

Now the interior of the mask has a KN95 filter within it, the fan itself has 2 interchangeable (replaceable) kn95 filters. It fits pretty well, it has an interior nose piece made from metal that also has an expandable foam layer for sealing and comfort. The fan makes it so easy to breathe in. It doesn't effect the breathing out part, but it's not designed for that. The fan has 3 settings, low medium and high. You can hardly feel it on low so I use it on medium for the most part and high when needed. It takes away that feeling of claustrophobia or straining to breathe that can create some triggers for anxiety. I don't think they are excessively expensive, but they are not cheap either. This may be a good option for those that get a little anxious about it, and the added air flow helps to keep things relatively dry in there too so that would be a bonus for those with more sensitivity to sensory experiences.

Not affiliated nor selling anything, just giving some honest feedback having tried 2 dozen plus different mask designs in the search for the holy grail! ;o)

As an educator I have been buying different masks each week roughly, trying different materials, different designs, different methods etc.. to figure out what I can wear all day every day when back in the classroom and beyond. I have tried a lot lol... I am also the parent of 3 special needs ASD children with varying degrees of characteristics and manifestations. They all like different masks, 1 likes them super duper tight to their face almost ripping their ears off! 1 likes it nice and what I would consider 'normal'.. the other really doesn't care either way.

Not affiliated nor selling anything, just giving some honest feedback having tried 2 dozen plus different mask designs in the search for the holy grail! ;o)

Unfortunately that type of mask is no longer allowed at Disney. It cannot have any valves or holes.

Unfortunately that type of mask is no longer allowed at Disney. It cannot have any valves or holes.

I did see that, however, I would be interested to see what they would say about it considering that it doesn't have any holes or vents that are not sealed by a KN95 filter. I guess its easier just to just say not to a whole genre than get stuck in the weeds, however, I think there ought to be some element of official list of approved devices especially when concerning medical needs etc.. Having something like the above with KN95 filters all around is much more effective than some of the more simple single ply material ones. But I guess they have to draw the distinction somewhere!

Hopefully sense will prevail!

We had to cancel for the whole 2020 because the same reasons, just hoping this ends because the mask rules are a deal breaker for us.
You know, if you had cancelled the whole 2020 back at the end of December, we'd be in July 2021 by now and everything would be normal, right? :rotfl2:

Seriously, though, I know what you mean but couldn't resist.

View attachment 513636

Now the interior of the mask has a KN95 filter within it, the fan itself has 2 interchangeable (replaceable) kn95 filters. It fits pretty well, it has an interior nose piece made from metal that also has an expandable foam layer for sealing and comfort. The fan makes it so easy to breathe in. It doesn't effect the breathing out part, but it's not designed for that. The fan has 3 settings, low medium and high. You can hardly feel it on low so I use it on medium for the most part and high when needed. It takes away that feeling of claustrophobia or straining to breathe that can create some triggers for anxiety. I don't think they are excessively expensive, but they are not cheap either. This may be a good option for those that get a little anxious about it, and the added air flow helps to keep things relatively dry in there too so that would be a bonus for those with more sensitivity to sensory experiences.

Is this something you plan on wearing at school? How noisy is the fan?

View attachment 513636

Sorry to sound like a doofus, but is the fan an 'intake' or an 'exhaust'?

Last edited:
Whether it's intake or exhaust, it's creating an air flow that probably isn't the greatest at keeping droplets contained. But if it is intake, the leakage would be coming out the sides of the mask.

Oh, I agree. I don't think a mask-fan is necessarily a good way to 'stop the spread'. I'm just curious.

More clarification from WDW on their mask policy, banning masks with valves, mash or any holes or openings:

it is not yet on the WDW website but does appear to be official.
DTD has officially updated their face covering policy (as of 7/27/20) to match WDW's:

All Guests ages 2 and older are required to bring and wear face coverings when visiting the Downtown Disney District.

All face coverings should:
  • Fully cover an individual’s nose and mouth and allow the Guest to remain hands-free
  • Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
  • Be secured with ties or ear loops
  • Be made of breathable material, either disposable or reusable
At this time, neck gaiters, open-chin triangle bandanas, and face coverings containing valves, mesh material or holes of any kind are not acceptable face coverings.
Guests may remove their face covering while actively eating or drinking outside, stationary and maintaining appropriate physical distancing from others.

Costume masks are not considered appropriate and are prohibited from being worn, in alignment with our existing rules.
The use of face coverings is not a substitute for physical distancing.

Sorry to sound like a doofus, but is the fan an 'intake' or an 'exhaust'?

It's an intake, it has its own KN95 filter on the fan so there are no additional risks over and above breathing through a KN95 filtration media in that regard. The power of the fan isn't that great to create a positive pressure on the inside and thus push droplets out of it around the edges. What it does do (I just did a training session on the field in 95 degree heat) is allow the inhalation of air to feel somewhat less restricted as it pulls their air through its filter via the fan. The expired air goes out through the rest of the mask which is a KN95 replaceable filter media.

Having worn over a dozen different designs I can safely say this does a great job and is better than most at what it does. The downside is like I stated in my previous post, Disney has to draw the line somewhere and as a result it will simply fall into the 'vent' category and be prohibited. Which is a shame really, as it does a much better job than a lot of simple cloth designs that people wear. But again, its understandable as its simply logistics.

Even the cloth, single ply masks are not allowed at Disney now. Disney rules now require masks to be at least two layers.
If you put a seam around the edge, how could anyone tell if there is a second layer? It seems like the # of plies is determined by the honor system unless they ask you to take it off?

editing to add: my family wears 2 ply, I'm not a weirdo, I'm just curious.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter