Food: what to get and where to get it!

Emzed

Mouseketeer
Me again. We have rented a trailer and are super excited for our first ever Disney camping experience. While we have camped before this is our first time at FW and “glamping” in a 40’ trailer. We are flying in and will not have our own transportation. What is the best way to get groceries and what are some easy meal suggestions (we aren’t allowed to use oven) when we aren’t dining on property.

The various shopping services are available, Emzed, like gardengrocer.com, wegoshop.com, and the Amazon grocery option. They all come with a price but you can use the Search function at the top and look for words on the Camping Forum like grocery, groceries, delivery, etc. Or hire an Uber service to the nearest Publix, Winn Dixie, or Super Wal-Mart.

You might want to ask your vendor if they have a crock pot they can give you as part of the rental (add crock pot liner bags to your shopping list for easy cleanup). Then you can mix it up in the pot before you leave for the parks and come back to it being ready for you.

There will be a charcoal grill at your campsite so what I tend to do on my arrival night is to get a big bag of charcoal (add that to the list) and grill several meals worth of meats which can then go into zip loc bags in the fridge and get nuked in the microwave and matched with some side dishes. I cook steaks, chicken breasts or boneless thighs (preferred since they are thinner and cook faster), hot dogs, and burgers (or some mix of these). That's about as long as the charcoal will last. The steaks get eaten on the first night with either some take-out mash potatoes and gravy or french fries from the take out side of Trails End (P&J's Southern Takeout) and a sliced tomato or fresh peaches (or refridgerated mash from the grocer or mac/cheese or potato salad or some other low cook options-you get the point).

Oh and the takeout cornbread from P&J's is pretty good too. Your camper will likely have a microwave so breakfast items like frozen pancakes and syrup, breakfast burritos, and scrambled egg and sausage bowls are options for a hot breakfast. The shopping services, so I hear, will also bring your beer and wine in some cases I believe.

The Meadow Trading Post (and Settlement TP to a lesser extent) have some grocery items but they are pricey and it is limited selection. Good for that "oh we're eating in 30 minutes and I need some milk" and that's about it.

So it can be done - there is just a cost for the convenience however you slice it. Good luck.

Bama Ed

PS - we've also had some recipe threads on the Camping Forum you could search for

Oh wow! Thanks bama_ed! Those are fantastic suggestions. I’ll start my grocery list I will look for some recipes here as well.

I did not know you could get sides as take out! Good to know. Never rented a camper but it might have an outside grill? Propane hopefully? I plan to stop at wallmart or aldi's for food on my way down, as stated might be worth a cab or uber ride. See how big your fridge / freezer is . Stock up accordingly. I plan on bringing into the parks lunch, so i will buy for that. Easy stuff for dinner depends on if you have a grill or not. Best thing about a camper is you are not limited, i cook like i do at home. You have a stove, just dont plan on it being super good at temps, so nothing fancy. But you can make whatever you want. Just plan it out, and if you forget , there is always go out for dinner. Like ed, i eat whatever is most expensive first, leaving the last meals for like hot dogs etc. So if we dont make all the planed diners, it dosent cost us much.

We keep it pretty simple. Sandwhiches and stuff. Peanut Butter is a stock item in our camper as well as pasta, coffee, and oatmeal.

We're bringing some of our favorite BBQ from home for late lunches or early suppers at the camper. I'm cooking sausage patties, bacon, and biscuits ahead of time so that we can just microwave them in the mornings before going to the parks. We're the type of people who like to "graze," so we'll be eating snacks and sharing some quick meals around the park. Like others have said, we'll have peanut butter, hot dogs, and sandwich meat as choices for around the camper as well.

Crockpots are essential for camping! One of my go to recipes is taco soup. You can order the canned chicken breast on your grocery list. I wonder if you can somehow pack a cheap pancake griddle? Like the ones you get on Kohls black friday for $10??? Then you can do pancakes, bacon, eggs, taquitos, etc... I usually cook all of our breakfast outside on a griddle.

At the Fort we do all our breakfast at the campsite but the rest of the meals in the parks, usually. It gives me a break from life. We might do 1-3 meals at the RV.

The steaks, chicken, hotdogs (grilled) is the best ideas! You can even do foil packs with vegetables. I am not into foil or crockpot liners but you do these things only once an a while when camping.

Since we have 3 boys and 1 girl...but still 3 boys! I have to load up on food for in between too. They are always hungry!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, we didn't even leave. I had Walmart deliver all our groceries. We did have to time it right and meet the guy but it was nice to not have to Uber anywhere.
We planned on breakfast, snacks and packed lunches - but ate dinner in the park. Had I known the Dinner at PJs Takeout was so cheap, I would have gotten 2 of those and we would have eaten ribs and chicken leftovers for awhile!

Ask if the RV comes with a griddle or the cooking gear to use the stove outside. If you don't feel like cooking, easy breakfasts and sack lunches are perfectly fine too :)

When we camp at Disney, I cook and freeze a lot of chicken before we go, and then I can quickly thaw and warm and put together meals like tacos once we arrive. We also use the grill a lot. However, we drive down. If I were flying down and had to get meals from a store, I would not want to spend too much of my Disney time prepping and cooking meals. Now, if you don't mind, go for it, this is just not something I would want to do. I would keep it easy: hamburgers, hot dogs, canned vegetables. Best wishes on your vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter