Food & Wine & Friends, or 'Wishing a Year Away'. October 2012 PTR *NEW 11/18 TR link!

Definitely true friendship-- helping people move is not fun!

New plans sound great! Love the wine diaper, haha.

Finally have some free time! I had a super fun weekend with friends in the Berkshires (we went tubing on the Deerfield River and it was AWESOME!) and when I got home from work yesterday, I fell asleep at 6:30 and slept all the way through till 7 this morning. Guess I was tired!

Our trip just keeps getting closer and closer, and the excitement keeps getting crazier! To be less than 3 months away just seems totally unreal.

Our Day 6 plans have changed. Thursday Oct 18 is now when we are doing the KTTK tour. We wanted to be sure to do this on a day we were staying at BLT so we could walk over to MK for the tour. Luckily, there was no problem changing the booking.
After the tour, we may hang out in the MK a bit more, or walk back to BLT for a little break.
Dinner is at DHS- Mama Melrose. This is a new one for all of us, and I think we'll like it. It doesn't seem fancy, but it is the type of food we enjoy and the atmosphere looks fun.

After dinner, we might try to fit in a spin on ToT and RnRC before heading back to BLT. I think we'll stop by the Top of the World Lounge at BLT this night, since it looks awesome!

In other random news, Ben and I are booked for an April trip (in time for our Anniversary) at BLT!! We are actually hoping to switch to the Villas at Wilderness Lodge when the 7 month window opens up, since we have never stayed there and would like to try it! We booked this on sort of a whim, but with those APs, we just had to! :laughing:

This will use up all our 2013 points, and most of our 2014, too. But that is ok since we are planning to do a non-Disney trip in 2014. Though we'll see how much this April trip changes before April!

Definitely true friendship-- helping people move is not fun!

New plans sound great! Love the wine diaper, haha.

No, it is not fun. But we are SO glad that they live near-by, we were willing to pitch in ;)

I am excited to use the wine diapers! It'll be pretty nice to have our own little bar in the room. :thumbsup2

Awesome! We just booked our 2013 vacation too! A Disney cruise of the Mediterranean with Greece, plus a few extra days in Barcelona. So much planning so little time. My pesky job keeps getting in the way of my planning. But I guess I should keep it so we can pay for all this fun.

YAY! That's awesome about your April trip! Details!! LOL I'm looking at booking a trip next April or May to see the F&G festival. Gotta love AP's burning holes in your pocket!! :cool1:

YEs, you'll be fine to enter thru the international gateway before WS opens. I don't think you'd be able to for the 7:30 AM segway, but you're not doing that one anyway! It's fun walking to the front thru the empty WS!

Love the wine diaper! I've had excellent luck bringing wine in suitcases, generally just wrapped in clothing. I considered doing so for our October trip as well, to bring a really nice bottle we have for my 30th birthday, but since we'll have a car I decided against it. Without a car, it makes so much sense! Esp with 2 free bags per person on SW!

So jealous you have a 2013 trip planned! I probably won't be able to go back until 2014. I'll have to live vicariously through you until then.

Wo-Hoo for booking an April trip!!

Good luck getting the VWL! I can't wait to stay there in October!!

I really hope we get to stay there- and I NEED to eat at Artist Point

Awesome! We just booked our 2013 vacation too! A Disney cruise of the Mediterranean with Greece, plus a few extra days in Barcelona. So much planning so little time. My pesky job keeps getting in the way of my planning. But I guess I should keep it so we can pay for all this fun.

Haha, I always think of my job getting in the way of my vacation planning. Such an inconvenience! ;)

Your Mediterranean cruise sounds awesome!

YAY! That's awesome about your April trip! Details!! LOL I'm looking at booking a trip next April or May to see the F&G festival. Gotta love AP's burning holes in your pocket!! :cool1:

YEs, you'll be fine to enter thru the international gateway before WS opens. I don't think you'd be able to for the 7:30 AM segway, but you're not doing that one anyway! It's fun walking to the front thru the empty WS!

Love the wine diaper! I've had excellent luck bringing wine in suitcases, generally just wrapped in clothing. I considered doing so for our October trip as well, to bring a really nice bottle we have for my 30th birthday, but since we'll have a car I decided against it. Without a car, it makes so much sense! Esp with 2 free bags per person on SW!

The wine diapers were inexpensive, and are re-usable (as long as the bottle doesn't break!) so I figured they were worth a shot. We're not bringing a ton of alcohol or anything, just a couple bottles... :rolleyes1

So jealous you have a 2013 trip planned! I probably won't be able to go back until 2014. I'll have to live vicariously through you until then.

I've been able to get quite a few WDW trips in this year! But we will have to ease up a bit after the spring one. Time to try some other stuff!

So of course the big news for the Disney World obsessed is the Food & Wine menus being released. I just read them all and realized we need a plan of attack! I'm going to need lists of 'must-eats/drinks' from the group so we can figure out what booths we need to visit.

For anyone that has done F&W before- do you make a plan before hand? If so, what is your method? I am overwhelmed by all the info!

Our Day 7 (Friday, 10/19) plans have us finally getting to MK for rope drop. We'll have been to the park before this, but that's for MNSSHP and KTTK. This is our first 'free' day in the MK. I feel a little weird about it being late in the trip, but I do think it makes sense to wait till we get to BLT and can walk there, and use the days earlier in the week for Epcot/DHS. It just is so different than what I usually plan!

Plans are to walk to MK, have a fun-filled morning and afternoon (I'm not sure what lunch will be...), then head back to BLT for a little break. We'll head over to Ft. Wilderness around 6:00 and spend some time exploring the campground. Hoop Dee Do Revue is at 8:30 and I am SO EXCITED!! :dance3: I think we're going to have a blast.
After dinner, it's back to BLT for some much needed sleep!

The trip really is getting close. I am in that weird mental state I get 2 months out from Disney; the trip still feels far away but I am already thinking about it being over. Pretty soon I need to go shopping for some clothes... my weight loss ventures have not gone well. I have had a SUPER fun summer, but that also equals a lot of beer and food. And not a lot of working out. I'm trying to get my act together and lose a little weight before shopping for trip clothes. We'll see (says the girl who just ate agiant plate of Tortellini followed by a Whoopie pie for dessert).
Having Hilde & Sebastian live a few minutes away is not good for weight loss, either. They brew their own beer and literally have 4 of them on tap at their house. So when we go over to help them with projects or just to hang out, of course you gotta have a beer... then you have another one with dinner (and it's never a healthy dinner...)

And since I haven't rambled enough here; have I mentioned that we are taking a trip to New Orleans right before the WDW one? Ben has a conference for work, so I am tagging along. It's a long weekend right at the end of Sept. I have never been to NO, and can't wait!!!

I've never made a plan for F&W. I have an idea of what booths I want to visit but that's about it. I usually hit the booths for lunch and make my way around the countries over the course of a couple days.

I thought Hoop De Doo was getting a refurb in the fall?

Well, I just googled it and it looks like there is some conflicting information. If they let you book it, I guess it will still be happening? :confused3 We were looking at doing Mickey's Backyard BBQ but the times are so limited that it isn't looking like we will be able to book it. I was interested in doing HDDR but then I started seeing that it wasn't going to be available. I'm so confused! :rotfl: Maybe the rumors are wrong & we can book HDDR instead!

I've never made a plan for F&W. I have an idea of what booths I want to visit but that's about it. I usually hit the booths for lunch and make my way around the countries over the course of a couple days.

I think I'm going to sort of pick the things that seem the most interesting to try, and try to get everyone else to do the same to make sure we don't miss anything we really want.
Mostly I am just super excited to finally experience F&W!!

I thought Hoop De Doo was getting a refurb in the fall?

Well, I just googled it and it looks like there is some conflicting information. If they let you book it, I guess it will still be happening? :confused3 We were looking at doing Mickey's Backyard BBQ but the times are so limited that it isn't looking like we will be able to book it. I was interested in doing HDDR but then I started seeing that it wasn't going to be available. I'm so confused! :rotfl: Maybe the rumors are wrong & we can book HDDR instead!

My understanding of the HDDR fall craziness it that they were not accepting ADRs at the 190 day mark (I was really bummed, but we made plans for Artist Point instead) because they were in the process of changing the show times starting October 1st; 4pm, 6:15, 8:30
Once this was squared away, they opened ADRs and I was able to snag one for the new 8:30 time and cancelled our Artist Point ressie.

I'm intrigued by the wine diapers--do you check them as an additional piece of luggage, or just pack them in your suitcases? We alway take some wine or liquor with us, but I didn't realize there were any regulations on packing it in your checked luggage, so I just wrap them up in my clothes in and hope for the best :scared: We've never had a broken bottle so far! But a leak proof bag would be great for piece of mind.

Love that you got BWV :thumbsup2 I love that resort (decor and location) but I just can't bring myself to stay there--the clown slide FREAKS me out!

My understanding of the HDDR fall craziness it that they were not accepting ADRs at the 190 day mark (I was really bummed, but we made plans for Artist Point instead) because they were in the process of changing the show times starting October 1st; 4pm, 6:15, 8:30
Once this was squared away, they opened ADRs and I was able to snag one for the new 8:30 time and cancelled our Artist Point ressie.

That makes sense, thanks! Maybe we will try to book it for one night of our trip...

and prehaps give some money to the pool bar there

I am not sure why, but this phrase made me giggle... kinda like the bar was a charity or something.. :rotfl:

At some point, we will head to DHS for a dinner ADR at Mama Melrose (a first for all of us). I'm never at this park at night, so I am looking forward to spending a little time here after dinner- mostly just some Tower of Terror till we can't take it any more!

Are you doing the fantasmic package?

Just a quick post cause it's

DOUBLE DIGIT day!!!!!!!

Sorry I missed it! But...:cool1::cool1: that the trip is just that much closer

The thing that I never thought would happen, happened.

bwv7.jpg

Our waitlist came through. Huh. Who'd a thunk?

I know it wasn't exactly what you wanted, but I think staying close to to Epcot during food and wine will be WONDERFUL!!!

So far, it seems like I can keep a lot of our ADRs the same and our switch day worked out pretty well- it's the day Ben and I have free in the afternoon after Segways, and Hilde & Sebastian will be at BB. So we can check in and explore BLT while we wait for them to be done at the water park.

Sounds like the transition will be pretty easy. :thumbsup2

Heyyyyyy folks! I have been rather lacking in DIS updates lately, my apologies!

Things have been pretty busy around here... Hilde & Sebastian have officially bought a house! They are about 5 minutes away from us now which is so fun! They closed on Monday, and Ben and I spent a couple days helping them clean and paint so they'll be ready to move for real this weeked. Let's just say that physical labor in an un-air conditioned house when it is over 90 degrees really saps the energy outa ya. :faint:

First, how cool that they are so close and Second, how lucky they are to have you as friends who are willing to work in over 90 degree heat! :goodvibes

In trip planning news, I have been busy in that arena as well; re-working plans and making some purchases for the trip. Check these out:

wd_open_seal_500px.jpg

I did some research on travelling with alcohol, and Southwest is ok with you checking it, as long as it is professionally packaged in a leak-proof bag. So I purchased these bad boys to help us save some money by bringing a bit of our own booze :laughing: This way we can have drinks at our resort without paying a crazy amount of money. Since we won't have a car, and the service fees for grocery delivery are kinda high if you don't order much, this plan works for us!

I didn't realize that alcohol had to be transported in a special way. The name of these though... it cracks me up.

Since we've established that our trip is officially beginning with us checking into the Boardwalk Villas, I had to re-arrange our plans. I am mostly happy with what I have now, except that I am missing a rope-drop morning at Epcot. I wouldn't care about this at all, but Hilde & Sebastian want to ride Soarin' so I am worried about getting FP if we don't get to the park early. I am sure we'll figure it out, and they will get to ride- I just don't want to waste a lot of time on it!

Here's a look at our new plans:
Arrival day doesn't really change; we'll get to BWV around 11am and if our room is ready head there. If it isn't, we'll probably hang by the pool and/or just explore a bit. Obviously the beer tasting at the Wave is out for this day, now! We'll rest up before heading (walking!!!!) over to Epcot for dinner at the F&W booths and stay for Illuminations. Then we'll walk (still exciting!) back to our room and crash after our long day!

Sorry you will miss the beer tasting. Will it just get moved to another day? It is only offered on certain days though, right?

On Sunday, our first full day, I've switched us to the Animal Kingdom. We'll get there early so we can take advantage of low crowds and get the big rides out of the way. Lunch is going to be early at Tusker House, and I am sure we'll take a nice break at the Dawa Bar (best bar in any theme park, I think!) We'll probably head out of AK before the 3:00 parade.
For dinner, it's back to Epcot and San Angel Inn. I :lovestruc this place! Great guacamole! :thumbsup2
After, we'll make our way out of Epcot and have some fun at Jellyrolls (of course!), trying not to stay out too late.:rolleyes2

I have never tried anything at the Dawa Bar. It is on my list this trip!

And good guacamole at San Angel? oh no... I LOVE good guacamole and do not have this on my own list

Monday didn't change much- it will be an early morning at DHS- and we'll plan on walking over there... at least we'll get exercise! I'm gonna make realllllll sure to get some good shoes for this trip! Obivously, TSM is a priority since our friends have never ridden it. We have another early lunch, this time at Sci-Fi Drive In. I'm hoping that getting there early enough means that we head out not too long after lunch so we have time to get back to BWV for a little break and head to DtD for dinner. I switched our dinner at Raglan Road to an earlier time so that we'd have more time after we eat to do something.
That 'something' will likely be EMH at MK. I don't have the best track record with these, but since we won't have been to the MK yet, I know we'll be itching to get over there so I really wanna try!

I hope you make it for EMH!!

Tuesday was re-arranged a little because Ben wanted to be sure to fit in a Boma breakfast, but I didn't want it on our AK day and miss rope drop there. So this morning, we'll take a cab to AKL for a 9:15 Boma ADR, then head to Epcot. I am toying with taking a cab from AKL to Epcot after, rather than a bus. I figure this will get us in the park a bit earlier which will be helpful because we'll have to be ready to leave Epcot in time to get back to BWV to change for MNSSHP! Dinner is at Liberty Tree Tavern at 5:30, and I want to make sure we have plenty of time!

Do you have costumes picked? Did I miss that?

Wednesday is our resort switch day! Hilde & Sebastian will still go to Blizzard Beach, and Ben and I are off to Epcot for our Segway tour. Our tour is not before park opening, so getting in through the International Gateway shouldn't be a problem, right?
We'll have sent our bags on to BLT before heading to Epcot, and head there after our Via Napoli lunch. Then Ben and I will relax at BLT while we wait for our friends to get back from BB- hopefully they remember to get on a Contemporary bus when they leave there! :laughing:
My evening plans originally had us going back to Epcot for more F&W and EMH, but since we're spending lots of time there earlier in the trip, I think we might head to the MK instead. Dinner will probably be something counter service in the park.
Sounds like transfer day will be pretty relaxing!I love entering Epcot through the International Gateway..especially before WS is open. So peaceful!!!

Plans are looking good :thumbsup2

In other random news, Ben and I are booked for an April trip (in time for our Anniversary) at BLT!! We are actually hoping to switch to the Villas at Wilderness Lodge when the 7 month window opens up, since we have never stayed there and would like to try it! We booked this on sort of a whim, but with those APs, we just had to! :laughing:

This will use up all our 2013 points, and most of our 2014, too. But that is ok since we are planning to do a non-Disney trip in 2014. Though we'll see how much this April trip changes before April!

:cool1: on the April trip!!! I know I am struggling to keep up with all the treads I am sub'd too... but if you do a PTR for that... or a TR for that... I will be sure to sub. :goodvibes

Our Day 7 (Friday, 10/19) plans have us finally getting to MK for rope drop. We'll have been to the park before this, but that's for MNSSHP and KTTK. This is our first 'free' day in the MK. I feel a little weird about it being late in the trip, but I do think it makes sense to wait till we get to BLT and can walk there, and use the days earlier in the week for Epcot/DHS. It just is so different than what I usually plan!

Plans are to walk to MK, have a fun-filled morning and afternoon (I'm not sure what lunch will be...), then head back to BLT for a little break. We'll head over to Ft. Wilderness around 6:00 and spend some time exploring the campground. Hoop Dee Do Revue is at 8:30 and I am SO EXCITED!! :dance3: I think we're going to have a blast.
After dinner, it's back to BLT for some much needed sleep!

Even though your first "real" day in MK is later in the trip.. I think you are right... it makes sense. Why go there (and waster your walking ability to Epcot/DHS) when you will have the ability to walk at this point in the trip to MK. I think it is a good plan.

The trip really is getting close. I am in that weird mental state I get 2 months out from Disney; the trip still feels far away but I am already thinking about it being over. Pretty soon I need to go shopping for some clothes... my weight loss ventures have not gone well. I have had a SUPER fun summer, but that also equals a lot of beer and food. And not a lot of working out. I'm trying to get my act together and lose a little weight before shopping for trip clothes. We'll see (says the girl who just ate agiant plate of Tortellini followed by a Whoopie pie for dessert).
Having Hilde & Sebastian live a few minutes away is not good for weight loss, either. They brew their own beer and literally have 4 of them on tap at their house. So when we go over to help them with projects or just to hang out, of course you gotta have a beer... then you have another one with dinner (and it's never a healthy dinner...)

I can relate your weight loss goals not going quite as planned. I would have thought with all the running I have done (I run probably an average of 15 miles a week) that I would have lost more than a few pounds (literally, like maybe 5 pounds on a good day... but then the trip last month to DLR had me gain 3 of it back:sad2:)

since I haven't rambled enough here; have I mentioned that we are taking a trip to New Orleans right before the WDW one? Ben has a conference for work, so I am tagging along. It's a long weekend right at the end of Sept. I have never been to NO, and can't wait!!!

OH!!! I have never been either and it is a place I really want to go. I bet that you will have a blast!

Augh I've been soooo MIA! I just caught up. So excited about your and Ben's trip next April.

For F&W I usually check out allears since they put a survey about food items together and you can see what's popular and what's really not. So that way I skip the icky and make sure to have the yummy stuff that I'm willing to try. Being that Ann and I will be there opening weekend I won't really have the benefit of other people trying the food for me. On the plus side, most items seemed the same as last year and I have a lengthy list picked out.

Hooray for a fun trip before your WDW getaway! I can understand how you feel about losing weight! It is so hard in the summer-- it is so darn hot and so many get togethers with food!

Did you think I fell off the face of the planet? Don't worry- I didn't!

I'm intrigued by the wine diapers--do you check them as an additional piece of luggage, or just pack them in your suitcases? We alway take some wine or liquor with us, but I didn't realize there were any regulations on packing it in your checked luggage, so I just wrap them up in my clothes in and hope for the best :scared: We've never had a broken bottle so far! But a leak proof bag would be great for piece of mind.

Love that you got BWV :thumbsup2 I love that resort (decor and location) but I just can't bring myself to stay there--the clown slide FREAKS me out!

The wine diapers are gonna be packed in the checked luggage. I was just gonna throw some bottles in with my clothes, but then I found these and thought the piece of mind would be good! I'll let ya know how it goes.

Haha, I don't have any strong feelings towards clowns. I don't like 'em, but I don't hate 'em. Though I do think the hair-wall thing on that slide is uuuuuuugly.

I am not sure why, but this phrase made me giggle... kinda like the bar was a charity or something.. :rotfl:

Are you doing the fantasmic package?
Nope, and we've actually never seen Fantasmic!

Sorry I missed it! But...:cool1::cool1: that the trip is just that much closer

I know it wasn't exactly what you wanted, but I think staying close to to Epcot during food and wine will be WONDERFUL!!!
I am getting more and more excited for the Boardwalk! I pretty much just can't wait for this trip!!!

Sounds like the transition will be pretty easy. :thumbsup2

First, how cool that they are so close and Second, how lucky they are to have you as friends who are willing to work in over 90 degree heat! :goodvibes
Ben and I also just helped them put up a fence! We're sucking up because we want to make sure they have plenty of reason to put up with us in WDW :rotfl:

I didn't realize that alcohol had to be transported in a special way. The name of these though... it cracks me up.
And they are diapers! Just shaped into a bag. So simple!

Since we've established that our trip is officially beginning with us checking into the Boardwalk Villas, I had to re-arrange our plans. I am mostly happy with what I have now, except that I am missing a rope-drop morning at Epcot. I wouldn't care about this at all, but Hilde & Sebastian want to ride Soarin' so I am worried about getting FP if we don't get to the park early. I am sure we'll figure it out, and they will get to ride- I just don't want to waste a lot of time on it!

Plans are looking good :thumbsup2

:cool1: on the April trip!!! I know I am struggling to keep up with all the treads I am sub'd too... but if you do a PTR for that... or a TR for that... I will be sure to sub. :goodvibes
I'll probably do a TR... maybe not a PTR since I've been so bad at this one lately. But we'll see :rolleyes1

Even though your first "real" day in MK is later in the trip.. I think you are right... it makes sense. Why go there (and waster your walking ability to Epcot/DHS) when you will have the ability to walk at this point in the trip to MK. I think it is a good plan.
Thanks, that makes me feel better! It's the one thing about my plans that I don't love. But I think it will be all good.

I can relate your weight loss goals not going quite as planned. I would have thought with all the running I have done (I run probably an average of 15 miles a week) that I would have lost more than a few pounds (literally, like maybe 5 pounds on a good day... but then the trip last month to DLR had me gain 3 of it back:sad2:)
I have renewed my efforts, and hope I make a little progress with weight loss!
Isn't it frustrating when the weight loss doesn't seem to match the work you do???

OH!!! I have never been either and it is a place I really want to go. I bet that you will have a blast!

I am SO excited! :hyper:

Augh I've been soooo MIA! I just caught up. So excited about your and Ben's trip next April.

For F&W I usually check out allears since they put a survey about food items together and you can see what's popular and what's really not. So that way I skip the icky and make sure to have the yummy stuff that I'm willing to try. Being that Ann and I will be there opening weekend I won't really have the benefit of other people trying the food for me. On the plus side, most items seemed the same as last year and I have a lengthy list picked out.

I have made an initial list of what I want. I can't wait for the Festival to start so I can begin reading reviews!!

Hooray for a fun trip before your WDW getaway! I can understand how you feel about losing weight! It is so hard in the summer-- it is so darn hot and so many get togethers with food!
I am trying again... it's been a whole week :rotfl: Let's see how it goes this time!

We are 51 days away from WDW!!!!!!!!!!! I seriously can not believe how close it is. As you may have guessed by my absence around here, things have been super busy. Work, riding, helping our friends with their new-house-projects. Summer just flew right by and fall is creeping up on us.

I am SO ready for the trip! I bought some more pieces to my MNSSHP costume, and hopefully it will all come together nicely.

I also did some general trip shopping and got a couple of bathing suits and some dresses (I love wearing dresses instead of shorts... even at the parks!) By the way, I am in love with all the clothes at modcloth.com

I've always had major issues with bathing suits. I look awful in a two piece because no matter what I weigh, my stomach is always a problem area. But most one pieces don't flatter me either... but these suits are amazing! I love them and can't wait to wear them!!

cefdf02cee70bac727ba801f6458be94.jpg

35694a5bfe179208c014edb2b8250a7b.jpg

One of the dresses I got:
063bcd2b5252f625d180e204ffd5ac46.jpg

I went a little nuts shopping in this site, so I had to cut myself off :blush:

Hmmm.... some more random trip-related thoughts:

Work continues on our super-awesome trip t-shirts. If all goes well, they should be out-of-this-world! :goodvibes

Disney changed the World Showcase Segway tour to include breakfast at Sunshine Seasons now(we didn't have to pay any more). I like food, so this is ok with me!

I am super bummed that Magic, Memories & You is ending and the new castle show won't be until November. I was really looking forward to see it with our friends. Yuck.

I'll continue with our daily plans in an update soon!

I LOVE your bathing suits and dresses from Modcloth! They have such cute things there!

I'm disappointed that MM&Y is going away too! I'm sure the new show will be great, but there'll be nothing in October! :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter