Free Fall Dining?

But honestly...you're talking about a very small savings on a $3000+ week for most.

So the "deal" is over. You are paying 95 cents on the dollar.
But in the pp's case- it's $320 per day savings. That's huge!
Now I understand why people are so obsessed with free dining. I didn't understand before. For my family it's not a benefit over a room discount.

I heard that unless you are staying at a deluxe hotel, that the quick service dining plan will only be offered. I hope that's not the case :eeyore:
You can always pay the difference for the regular dining plan, so the price between the quick and regular. We have done this numerous times on the free dining promo. And it is well worth the price.

I ran the numbers but I don't remember the exact amounts. For us, a family of 4 (Disney) adults, going with the quick service only plan (because of f&w going on our entire trip) and staying at a value: free dining saved quite a bit over the ro discount.

A very small savings? Free Dining saved us over $1k last year compared to a room only discount. Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for others.

I haven't paid full price for a room in...well...ever...so no it wouldn't work for me.

But that's not what I'm talking about. It's the streamlining of the discount over time - couple with rising tickets, room, and food costs is what I'm talking about.

It does largely depend on party mix...the bigger the party, the better potential discount.

If you don't mind me asking...can you break down your costs and summarize how you saved $1000?

I haven't paid full price for a room in...well...ever...so no it wouldn't work for me.

But that's not what I'm talking about. It's the streamlining of the discount over time - couple with rising tickets, room, and food costs is what I'm talking about.

It does largely depend on party mix...the bigger the party, the better potential discount.

If you don't mind me asking...can you break down your costs and summarize how you saved $1000?
2 Adults and 2 Kids at Coronado Springs for 9 nights. Free Dining saved us about $160/night. Room discount would have been about $50/night. $110/night x 9 nights is just shy of $1k.

2 Adults and 2 Kids at Coronado Springs for 9 nights. Free Dining saved us about $160/night. Room discount would have been about $50/night. $110/night x 9 nights is just shy of $1k.

Ok...so that makes sense...value/moderates with 4 or more are the best discounts - no question.

Of course you do have to figure in the gatuities on the plan...so roughly $30 a day or around $270...

And this year only the quickserve...so if you pay the difference to the full new plan (apples to apples) it's around $70 or so per day for a party of 4...so that's $630 in upcharges.

So the margins shrink...i think we're both right.

Ok...so that makes sense...value/moderates with 4 or more are the best discounts - no question.

Of course you do have to figure in the gatuities on the plan...so roughly $30 a day or around $270...

And this year only the quickserve...so if you pay the difference to the full new plan (apples to apples) it's around $70 or so per day for a party of 4...so that's $630 in upcharges.

So the margins shrink...i think we're both right.
We would have done table service without the dining plan though, can't eat quick service only for 9 straight days. If the mods are indeed quick service only this year then it is just another sign that Free Dining won't be around much longer.

We would have done table service without the dining plan though, can't eat quick service only for 9 straight days. If the mods are indeed quick service only this year then it is just another sign that Free Dining won't be around much longer.

Right...but under the dining plan the gratuities are MANDATORY...if you had not been on the plan you aren't compelled to spend them necessarily.

And so I agree with your last statement. We are now the same table. The writing is on the wall. For many cases it has already jumped the shark.

Does anyone know the last time POR was included in FD? Any rumors that it may be included this fall?

Right...but under the dining plan the gratuities are MANDATORY...if you had not been on the plan you aren't compelled to spend them necessarily.

And so I agree with your last statement. We are now the same table. The writing is on the wall. For many cases it has already jumped the shark.
It's my understanding that gratuities aren't mandatory in any situation unless you have 6 or more people, pretty much the standard at any restaurant? And you would tip your server at a table service restaurant regardless if you are on the dining plan or not.

It's my understanding that gratuities aren't mandatory in any situation unless you have 6 or more people, pretty much the standard at any restaurant? And you would tip your server at a table service restaurant regardless if you are on the dining plan or not.
Gratuities are automatically added with the dining plan, from what I remember. It's up to you if you want to tip above that or not.

The only time I know of where the gratuity is mandatory is for a party of 6 or more, like you said, or when you use a Tables In Wonderland discount card. We usually tip more than the recommended amount when at Disney anyway, whether we're on a dining plan or not.

Gratuities are automatically added with the dining plan, from what I remember. It's up to you if you want to tip above that or not.
I don't think they were automatic the last time we used a dining plan...there is a recommended amount, and are not covered by the plan. Maybe they changed it since we used a plan.

I don't think they were automatic the last time we used a dining plan...there is a recommended amount, and are not covered by the plan. Maybe they changed it since we used a plan.
I thought it was, but I could be wrong. I tried not to pay attention to the numbers too much lol. Didn't want to actually think about what I was spending ;)

Gratuities are not automatic, so be sure to tip!
There's a tip on every check I signed. Or maybe it was the "recommended".. most of the time I stick with whatever the tip says..3 times I tipped over bc I loved our servers. I know there is a tip shown on every bill, maybe I wrote it in maybe it was already there..that I don't remember. But I'm almost positive that a "gratuity" printed out on every paper bill I was given.

Gratuities are not mandatory under the dining plan. The rules for gratuities are the same regardless of dining plan or paying oop.

There's a tip on every check I signed. Or maybe it was the "recommended".. most of the time I stick with whatever the tip says..3 times I tipped over bc I loved our servers. I know there is a tip shown on every bill, maybe I wrote it in maybe it was already there..that I don't remember. But I'm almost positive that a "gratuity" printed out on every paper bill I was given.
I think they are automatically added with a party 6 or larger, because when we took my in laws they were automatic, but when it is just my husband, kids and me we have to write it in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter