• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Free Fall Dining?

Ok so then was there a 'recommended tip amount' or something on the check? Like I said, I don't totally remember.. All I remember is my amount charged to my cc at the end of 9 days...but I swear there was tip amounts in black and white on the dining bills.

If you are a party of 6 or more the tip is automatically added onto the check.

If you are a party of 6 or more the tip is automatically added onto the check.

And if you don't...they have NEVER automatically charge one. That's my point: they don't and never did "assume" you wanted to select a suggested gratuity amount.

How do I know? Because Disney has quietly done everything to control wages of its employees for 20+ years...not add to them. They eliminate guaranteed gratuities when and if at all possible...they know there will be salary bleed.

I'm sure the vast majority have never even hesitated/ thought about it...but if there are those that are confused as to how to add the tip - it should be corrected. Just my take.

And if you don't...they have NEVER automatically charge one. That's my point: they don't and never did "assume" you wanted to select a suggested gratuity amount.

How do I know? Because Disney has quietly done everything to control wages of its employees for 20+ years...not add to them. They eliminate guaranteed gratuities when and if at all possible...they know there will be salary bleed.

I'm sure the vast majority have never even hesitated/ thought about it...but if there are those that are confused as to how to add the tip - it should be corrected. Just my take.

I agree that it should be obvious how to handle it. However it was automatically added into the check for us - it was NOT optional at all. It is stated when making the reservation as well. If you don't want to pay it, you'd have to talk to the manager or something. I think it should be optional like it is for smaller parties.

I get you on the party of 4 thing...that's a minimum
Requirement to get the deal...

But the bolded part about is the confusion...are you saying it's less now for the room?

A party of 4 isn't required. That just happens to be our family and why free dining is better than room only. And yes, for 20% off the room price goes down.

The $2,397 we save on the dining plan is far larger than the $370 we would save on room discounts.

Stacy

You are traveling more frequently than the promo...so not who I'm watching on this one...

But I get you...FYI: interesting dining choices.

Huh? We aren't traveling more frequently than the promo. We go once a year in September.

I think you're dismissing it because it doesn't fit your idea that room only discounts are better than free dining.

Stacy

Huh? We aren't traveling more frequently than the promo. We go once a year in September.

I think you're dismissing it because it doesn't fit your idea that room only discounts are better than free dining.

Stacy

It appeared you were speaking from more frequent experience outside the free dining promo. My mistake.

I'm not advocating the room only...just saying the margins have shrunk in the "value" of free dining. That's all...for several reasons.

A party of 4 isn't required. That just happens to be our family and why free dining is better than room only. And yes, for 20% off the room price goes down.

The $2,397 we save on the dining plan is far larger than the $370 we would save on room discounts.

Stacy

Right...I think I got you there. Under the free dining the room and tickets are full price...the value is solely in what you get in the dining.

And to that...the more people in the room...the more you get.

As I've, and others, have said numerous times, "Free Dining" is always a numbers game. For some people it works for others it doesn't. Everyone should do their homework and see what works for them. It def is not the deal that it used to be, but in many cases people can still come out ahead.

The plan isn't for everyone, just leave it at that.

As I've, and others, have said numerous times, "Free Dining" is always a numbers game. For some people it works for others it doesn't. Everyone should do their homework and see what works for them. It def is not the deal that it used to be, but in many cases people can still come out ahead.

Yep...100%

I was trying to see if the free dining would be better than the "magical deal" I'm receiving for August at the poly. Have to look into it some more. Wasn't sure if anyone else had crunched numbers comparing

While tips need to be accounted for either way, one other thing to remember when comparing dining plans to out of pocket is that with out of pocket, you also have to factor in taxes, and don't forget the mug and free refills in the resorts...

I was trying to see if the free dining would be better than the "magical deal" I'm receiving for August at the poly. Have to look into it some more. Wasn't sure if anyone else had crunched numbers comparing

The prices for the magical deal at deluxe resorts are comparable to rack rate at the moderates. The difference is the dining. You need to determine which is a better deal for you...........staying at a deluxe with no dining, or staying at a moderate with free dining.

I keep reading people post about a "magical deal". Can someone please tell me what that is?
As far as free dining vs room at Poly that time of year- when we were there in September the room discount was over $200 per night. We are a party of 2- 1 adult one child. So for us it made more sense to take the room and pay for ddp.

I keep reading people post about a "magical deal". Can someone please tell me what that is?
As far as free dining vs room at Poly that time of year- when we were there in September the room discount was over $200 per night. We are a party of 2- 1 adult one child. So for us it made more sense to take the room and pay for ddp.
this is a link that is not allowed on the Dis forums. Do a google search for them, and you will find them easily.

I think that people need to remove any preconceived ideas before they arbitrarily declare which deal is the better value, if a value at all. My family usually needs two rooms, and how we manage the guests in each room depends on which discounts are offered, how many people in total, and their ages, as well as what discounts we have to choose from. Discounts, like any sale, are never one price fits all.

Truthfully, I am not looking forward to my numbers crunching this year, I still have no hard answers from all of my crew if they are coming, and that issue as well as not knowing what will be offered, it anything at all, is frustrating. And then that Storybook offer from the Summer???? If they offer it for our timeframe, I need to rethink the hoppers, which I was too cheap to buy but really want. Ohhhhhh, the work! LOL!

We were able to book a bounce back for October 1-12th with free dining. Park hopper was required. October 1st was the last day you were allowed to check in for the promotion.
We did the same thing for the 1st-10th. We are leaving for a cruise on the 10th. I am still hoping to nail down free dining for my parents!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter