Free Fall Dining?

Gratuities are not mandatory under the dining plan. The rules for gratuities are the same regardless of dining plan or paying oop.

I was in a discussion several months ago that was so appalling I've had the occasional nightmare...

The strong impression out there is there is fairly widespread and systematic STIFFING of waiters on the dining plan.

If true - That is 100% wrong and nobody has a "right". Tipping is additional in the United States. It's a US promotion...therefore free dining requires mandatory tipping out of pocket. Period. Everyone KNOWS what is going on. Especially since there is now language reminding everyone and tip amounts by percentage on the receipts.

That's why I put MANDATORY in the previous post. The mere concept of punishing the nametags is appalling.

Gratuities are automatically added with the dining plan, from what I remember. It's up to you if you want to tip above that or not.

100% incorrect...not since 2008.

Disney inferred that the employees wanted it that way...so they could cheat on their taxes.

I kid ye not...one of the most ridiculous in a long line of TDO company statements.

I was in a discussion several months ago that was so appalling I've had the occasional nightmare...

The strong impression out there is there is fairly widespread and systematic STIFFING of waiters on the dining plan.

If true - That is 100% wrong and nobody has a "right". Tipping is additional in the United States. It's a US promotion...therefore free dining requires mandatory tipping out of pocket. Period. Everyone KNOWS what is going on. Especially since there is now language reminding everyone and tip amounts by percentage on the receipts.

That's why I put MANDATORY in the previous post. The mere concept of punishing the nametags is appalling.
I can only speak for myself, but I find I tip much higher when I'm on the dining plan. I'm more relaxed, I've already pre paid for my meals, so tipping 20-25% is the norm for me. I would imagine that if you're from a country that doesn't tip, being on the dining plan is not going to matter one way or the other in your tipping.

Right...but under the dining plan the gratuities are MANDATORY...if you had not been on the plan you aren't compelled to spend them necessarily.

And so I agree with your last statement. We are now the same table. The writing is on the wall. For many cases it has already jumped the shark.

If get free dining you should tip just as good or better.

Tipping I is absolutely mandatory, no question. I was referencing the discussion that stated FD was not a good value because you had to tip, and this is untrue. My point was exactly that, you will tip regardless on getting DDP, FD, or paying out of pocket.

Tipping I is absolutely mandatory, no question. I was referencing the discussion that stated FD was not a good value because you had to tip, and this is untrue. My point was exactly that, you will tip regardless on getting DDP, FD, or paying out of pocket.

I get you...

Just a friendly reminder that only 80% or so of your "free dining" sit downs are free...

The other 20% of that comes out of your pocket and back onto the table. So that should be included as a mandatory cost of the package.

I get you...

Just a friendly reminder that only 80% or so of your "free dining" sit downs are free...

The other 20% of that comes out of your pocket and back onto the table. So that should be included as a mandatory cost of the package.
I don't get this. Maybe I'm daft.

I don't get this. Maybe I'm daft.

All the time I see "we save ___ with FD"

But the reality is the gratuity isn't included so it's the fee that you must put for that promo...or the dining plan standalone.

I doubt anyone adds that cost in when they convince themselves of how much they are saving.

Just a little different perspective. If you use a sit down once a day for a week...the surcharge under "free dining" ends up being around $200 or so on average for a family of 4...

Tipping isn't optional.

But the reality is the gratuity isn't included so it's the fee that you must put for that promo...or the dining plan standalone.

I doubt anyone adds that cost in when they convince themselves of how much they are saving.

Just a little different perspective. If you use a sit down once a day for a week...the surcharge under "free dining" ends up being around $200 or so on average for a family of 4...

Tipping isn't optional.

But if a family eats a daily TS meal anyways, regardless of FD, this point is moot, especially if they are eating daily at buffets. The gratuity would be the same regardless of being on the dining plan.

But if a family eats a daily TS meal anyways, regardless of FD, this point is moot, especially if they are eating daily at buffets. The gratuity would be the same regardless of being on the dining plan.

We're almost there...but not clicking.

It's safe to say that the majority of dining plan patrons use the table service credits...because it makes no sense not to. They're "locked in"

On the other hand...many out of pockets don't follow that pattern. Some eat more (me most days)...others don't care for table service due to preference or budget and don't eat any...it's far more open and can't be quantified as easily as the 1 per day x the average bill times x 0.18%

100% incorrect...not since 2008.

Disney inferred that the employees wanted it that way...so they could cheat on their taxes.

I kid ye not...one of the most ridiculous in a long line of TDO company statements.
Ok so then was there a 'recommended tip amount' or something on the check? Like I said, I don't totally remember.. All I remember is my amount charged to my cc at the end of 9 days...but I swear there was tip amounts in black and white on the dining bills.

Ok so then was there a 'recommended tip amount' or something on the check? Like I said, I don't totally remember.. All I remember is my amount charged to my cc at the end of 9 days...but I swear there was tip amounts in black and white on the dining bills.

There were recommended gratuities based on percentage there...

If you did not sign one on the line, charge it to the room or credit card...or put cash down...then you would not have tipped.

Now there's a more obnoxious reminder that says "reminder: gratuities are not included in the Disney dining plan"...or something to that effect.

There were recommended gratuities based on percentage there...

If you did not sign one on the line, charge it to the room or credit card...or put cash down...then you would not have tipped.

Now there's a more obnoxious reminder that says "reminder: gratuities are not included in the Disney dining plan"...or something to that effect.
That's what I'm saying...like I said in my first post.. You either tip that or you tip more. There was an amount listed. I didn't think it was optional to tip less. I never had a reason to anyway..but did have a few occasions (especially one with a life saving iPhone charger) where I tipped over that amount.

We're almost there...but not clicking.

It's safe to say that the majority of dining plan patrons use the table service credits...because it makes no sense not to. They're "locked in"

On the other hand...many out of pockets don't follow that pattern. Some eat more (me most days)...others don't care for table service due to preference or budget and don't eat any...it's far more open and can't be quantified as easily as the 1 per day x the average bill times x 0.18%

First off, I don't think you give the people who use the dining plan enough credit. People buy the dining plan or choose the fd promotion because they want to eat table service meals. I don't think the majority of people feel locked in. And if they don't care for table service meals, why would they get the dining plan anyways?

Secondly, it's pretty clear that you're not a fan of free dining. That's fine. But it's arrogant and condescending to give "friendly reminders" and state that you doubt that anyone adds in the cost of gratuity when they convince themselves how much they are saving.

First off, I don't think you give the people who use the dining plan enough credit. People buy the dining plan or choose the fd promotion because they want to eat table service meals. I don't think the majority of people feel locked in. And if they don't care for table service meals, why would they get the dining plan anyways?

Secondly, it's pretty clear that you're not a fan of free dining. That's fine. But it's arrogant and condescending to give "friendly reminders" and state that you doubt that anyone adds in the cost of gratuity when they convince themselves how much they are saving.

You're fighting the wrong battle...I'm not taking a swipe at the free dining promo...What I would say on that is it's all but done and people need to come to grips with that...it was a necessity of the housing crash. (Might have seen some Disney marketing/promotional angles in my day...)

That's a different topic.

I'm saying shame on you if you don't tip on the dining plan. (Not saying "you"...I mean "anyone"). Just a thing that shouldn't have to be said but seems like it actually needs to be.

If you don't mind me asking...can you break down your costs and summarize how you saved $1000?

I know this wasn't directed at me but....

POR 9/8-9/17 Garden $1851 + 231 tax = 2082. 20% room off is $370.

So now it is 1480 + 231 tax = 1,711

DDP for 2A, 2Disney Adults = $61.82 PP, for 9 nights = $2,296 in savings.

$2,397 > $370

Even at deluxe same time period;Poly = $4,149. 30% = $1,245

Still $2,397 > $1,245

Stacy

Tipping isn't optional.

We do. We will eat at BOG, Yachtsman, Tusker House, Coral Reef and T-Rex whether we have DDP or OOP. Therefore tipping is a moot discussion point because it is the same whether we have free dining or not.

Stacy

I know this wasn't directed at me but....

POR 9/8-9/17 Garden $1851 + 231 tax = 2082. 20% room off is $370.

So now it is 1480 + 231 tax = 1,711

DDP for 2A, 2Disney Adults = $61.82 PP, for 9 nights = $2,296 in savings.

$2,397 > $370

Even at deluxe same time period;Poly = $4,149. 30% = $1,245

Still $2,397 > $1,245

Stacy

I get you on the party of 4 thing...that's a minimum
Requirement to get the deal...

But the bolded part about is the confusion...are you saying it's less now for the room?

We do. We will eat at BOG, Yachtsman, Tusker House, Coral Reef and T-Rex whether we have DDP or OOP. Therefore tipping is a moot discussion point because it is the same whether we have free dining or not.

Stacy

You are traveling more frequently than the promo...so not who I'm watching on this one...

But I get you...FYI: interesting dining choices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter