Garden Grill solo breakfast: to PPO or not to PPO? and other questions

YawningDodo

DIS Veteran
I've always wanted to try Garden Grill and never had a chance, so now that I'm doing a solo trip next January I think I'm going to jump on it! I've only done character dining once on my first trip as a kid, twenty years ago :scared: but I've done regular character interactions in the parks solo quite a few times, so I'm not entirely unused to engaging with characters! I'm mostly interested in GG for the views and the comfort food, but I do want to push myself to do one character meal just to see how I like it.

The question is: do I try to book pre-park opening, or do I book a later breakfast that will serve as a mid-morning break? Right now I'm leaning toward the latter, but I have some questions:
  1. Am I less likely to be able to get a booth on the lower level if I eat there mid-morning vs. booking the earliest possible reservation and showing up at the earliest possible time? I don't think upper level is a total deal-breaker (I'm tall, so I should be able to see over the dividing wall and still see the attraction scenes), but the booths seem nicer. It just also seems likely that CMs might be reluctant to seat a solo diner in a booth since most of them appear to be 5-tops vs. the 4-top tables on the upper level.
  2. Am I right in thinking that using a PPO to get in line early for Soarin' could make for a rushed meal? Getting into the park early sounds fun and all, but I don't want to pay ~$40 for a breakfast and then have to eat it quickly. That's what has me leaning toward rope dropping and then doing a later breakfast at GG (maybe get Soarin' as my tier 1 FP+ for early afternoon and shoot over to Frozen or TT on entry, then work my way back over to the Land). Their breakfast menu interests me more than the lunch/dinner menu, so I'd probably be looking at something like 10:00.
  3. Any tips for talking to/interacting with the characters as an adult, particularly when solo? When I used to do a lot of character interactions it was when I worked in WDW on the College Program, and I made a game of going to the parks on my days off to have characters sign a tote bag I'd been given in training that was branded with my department's logo. It gave me a built-in "reason" to be interacting with characters, which made things less awkward (and many of them would recognize the logo and get all excited). Without that (I could bring something else to have them autograph, but I'd have to think of something fun I'd actually want to keep once I get home...and I'm drawing a blank), what's your go-to for striking up "conversation" with silent characters?

I can’t answer the solo part because I’ve only been there as a family of four. But I would highly, highly recommend the PPO. We had an 8:20 reservation, got there early and we were let into the park with people who had an ADR for 8am. We were the first to arrive and seated right away. We weren’t rushed at all, had refills of food and met all the characters twice. When we finished we went on Nemo and were the first to ride it, we then met the inside out characters and Baymax with zero wait. Then we did living with the land as a walk on. We had a fast pass for soarin so we did that after doing everything else. We basically had the park to ourselves it was awesome

I'm an older adult. My children are grown. I love Chip N Dale. They are my favorite characters. When we go to the Garden Grill for breakfast I wear my Chip N Dale shirt, magic band, and ears. I hug both Chip and Dale, tell them how much I love them and how happy I am to see them, and get a picture. Usually we banter a little and they hug me back and make kissy noises in my ear. I don't know if that is how an adult is supposed to act but it makes me happy.

If you arrive at 7:45, head straight to GG, they will seat you right away and you will have food on your table by 8:05 (at the latest). Even accounting for eating slowly and multiple character interactions, you should have no trouble at all settling the bill and heading out to Soarin' by 8:50am. We have done this multiple times and are often ready to head to Soarin' by 8:40, and we have eaten at our leisure.

:scratchin Maybe PPO after all, then. I've never done a PPO breakfast and it's another experience I'm kind of curious about/interested in trying, but I've been a little turned off by the way I see it discussed on the Dis--I've seen people talking about strategies to slam through breakfast as quickly as possible to maximize ride benefits. It'd be nice to hit Soarin' before the rope drop crowds arrive, but it's not my main goal and I don't want to feel hurried if I'm paying that much for the meal. I suppose there's no rule that I have to rush; I could just accept that I may or may not get done before the running of the guests, but I know that when I get there I'm going to feel an impulse to "maximize" the experience.

If it's possible to eat at a leisurely pace and still get the benefit of PPO timing, though, I'll feel better about booking it PPO (or at least trying to get PPO).

I'm an older adult. My children are grown. I love Chip N Dale. They are my favorite characters. When we go to the Garden Grill for breakfast I wear my Chip N Dale shirt, magic band, and ears. I hug both Chip and Dale, tell them how much I love them and how happy I am to see them, and get a picture. Usually we banter a little and they hug me back and make kissy noises in my ear. I don't know if that is how an adult is supposed to act but it makes me happy.

I suppose right now I'm just thinking of bantering! At least I know how to tell Chip and Dale apart, which helps. :p I've had to explain to a few friends.

Do the chipmunks come around together or separately?

I’ve done GG with the fam once, solo once, and will be there solo in a couple weeks. Great breakfast, I do PPO, get the Soaring line a few before the rope drop. No problem yet. The two PPO ADRs we had got us on the bottom row. Service was quick. Characters were great, when I was solo, I saw them several times. I think there are more solo folks than you think, the characters handle it all so well! A little banter, selfie picks, hugs, moving on. Great times! Go for it and enjoy!

Went solo in Feb and loved it. I’m not sure about th booths, but I was seated on the second level and the view was still good and I’m short. As far as interactions with the characters just think ahead about things you can say to them. They will get really into it even though they can’t talk back. Complement Mickey’s outfit or tell Pluto dogs are your favorite animal and he will probably lick you! I think Dale and I had a conversation about me sharing my food.

It’s a great meal, totally worth it. I contemplated doing PPO but I cancelled it cause I’m not a morning person and did a 10 am breakfast instead another trip. So I rope dropped FEA then I went on Test Track with single rider line. Went to spaceship earth with a FP and then ate. Worked out great.

We did a 1030a ADR and waited about 15 minutes for a table. It was crowded but manageable. I liked doing it a bit later but we are not RD people.

( We loved the breakfast - it was delicious! And character interaction was a lot of fun )

Chip and Dale each came to my table separately last time I was there. It's been about a year. I'll be going back in a few months.

:scratchin Maybe PPO after all, then. I've never done a PPO breakfast and it's another experience I'm kind of curious about/interested in trying, but I've been a little turned off by the way I see it discussed on the Dis--I've seen people talking about strategies to slam through breakfast as quickly as possible to maximize ride benefits. It'd be nice to hit Soarin' before the rope drop crowds arrive, but it's not my main goal and I don't want to feel hurried if I'm paying that much for the meal. I suppose there's no rule that I have to rush; I could just accept that I may or may not get done before the running of the guests, but I know that when I get there I'm going to feel an impulse to "maximize" the experience.

If it's possible to eat at a leisurely pace and still get the benefit of PPO timing, though, I'll feel better about booking it PPO (or at least trying to get PPO).

My crew of 7 enjoyed a leisurely breakfast, several interactions and were still in the queue for RD at Soarin if you are at teh entrance of the park early enough. That is the key. The thing to remember is that you do not need to follow anyone else's strategy, but keep to your own. Why anyone would spend that kind of money to rush is beyond me, but they can if they want.

I would choose a PPO meal and begin in Future World. You can take a break in WS once that park opens, as there are some really good snack options there.

PPO Garden Grill is hands down my favorite way to start the day at WDW. In fact we have one day in the parks before going on a cruise (we have 1 day parkhoppers) and this is the way we want to do it.

I travel solo with my son so just the two of us and always request a lower booth, there are always available ones at PPO and they have smaller and larger ones, I get a smaller one with him no trouble.

45 minutes is actually PLENTY of time to eat AND see the characters because of the format of the breakfast, they start bringing the food right away. Honestly an hour to an hour and a half is really only necessary under two circumstances: 1) you incorporate time to look at the menu and give your order and have it cooked to order and more courses or 2) the characters take a long time coming around. Neither of those are the case at Garden Grill. It's not rushed IMO, it's just right.

The characters at GG are awesome and we always end up seeing them at least 2x, I think when there is a shift change they "forget" that they saw us the first time... if it's the same one then they will wave and do a little dance and walk on by. They're just around pretty much constantly for the whole meal and it's great.

I always worry it will feel rushed and last time we didn't even get seated til about 8:10 but it wasn't. There's only so much bacon and tater tots you can shove in your face before the belly says "Uncle" and getting on Soarin' before the crowds is awesome. It is truly the best way to start the day in the 'world for us. it is the opposite of "rushed" - the timing is pretty much perfect IMO.

I like doing other PPO breakfasts too because I like taking it out of the park time but this is the only one that has a ride advantage. In general I find PPO breakfasts to be way more mellow than other times, not nearly as crowded, things move more efficiently (I consider the fact that it can take more like 90 minutes to see the pooh characters at Crystal Palace something to be endured for the sake of my favorite characters and not a feature of the meal that I enjoy and I'm always thrilled to be out of there in an hour).

I don't think any PPO ADR is worth the rush at WDW prices...so I've never done it & probably never will. Although I might try one in MK, not to rush to get to a headliner ride, but to get some castle & main st pics while nearly empty.

I don't think any PPO ADR is worth the rush at WDW prices...so I've never done it & probably never will. Although I might try one in MK, not to rush to get to a headliner ride, but to get some castle & main st pics while nearly empty.

The benefit of a PPO breakfast in the park is that you are already in the park for your meal. You are able to enjoy breakfast and then be ready to begin your day at or near RD time, so no time is lost in travel or dining during the first few hours of park time. For my family it is a lovely way to start the day.
Logistically, there is no benefit in MK unless you are dining at Be Our Guest, however we seldom eat there. Our new MK favorite breakfast is The Plaza. This pretty restaurant has delicious unique breakfasts choices, and excellent service. Our crew of 7 enjoyed a leisurely meal and had time to freshen up after, and stroll to teh RD to Tomorrowland, hop onto Buzz, and then the ones who wanted SM headed there for a short wait to ride. PPO meals are more about setting your family up for a productive morning in the park rather than a race to the MIne Train.

There is no empty Main Street any longer. When BOG opened for breakfast that ship sailed. I think that the sweetest walk through a park is from either gate in Epcot to Garden Grill or Akershus. It is beautiful.

We have never rushed through a meal for an attraction, but we sure have benefitted from being close by after breakfast.

Am I less likely to be able to get a booth on the lower level if I eat there mid-morning vs. booking the earliest possible reservation and showing up at the earliest possible time? I don't think upper level is a total deal-breaker (I'm tall, so I should be able to see over the dividing wall and still see the attraction scenes), but the booths seem nicer. It just also seems likely that CMs might be reluctant to seat a solo diner in a booth since most of them appear to be 5-tops vs. the 4-top tables on the upper level.

Not necessarily. DH and I, as a party of two, were seated in a lower level booth. You can request your preference at check-in, but you may have to wait a little longer for it mid-morning. When we were there, it seemed many of the tables on the upper level were pushed together for larger parties that couldn't fit in a single booth. So they may put smaller parties in the booths by default.

Am I right in thinking that using a PPO to get in line early for Soarin' could make for a rushed meal?

Possibly. We had an 8:15am ADR, arrived early, but weren't seated until about 8:30. We weren't trying to make Soarin so it didn't bother us. We also didn't see all the characters before 9am either. To expedite the process, you can ask your server to bring the second course right away (they bring out the sticky bun first if I recall) and you can also ask for your bill at the start of the meal too. I'd also be prepared to not see all the characters if making Soarin' is more important.

We prefer PPO breakfast over a mid-morning breakfast for a few reasons. For one, we're hungry in the morning! We're getting breakfast out of the way and not wasting park time to do so. Even with a mid-morning breakfast, you're still pressed for time beforehand, and its during the best part of the day for touring. And with buffets, if you get seated late, you may catch the lunch switchover in some cases which you may or may not want. Obviously that's not a concern with Garden Grill though.

I have this booked for next month - also solo. I am not a morning person so have an ADR for @ 10. But , I see the benefits others have mentioned . After reading these responses , I am looking forward to this meal .

I can't answer the first or third question, but I can confidently answer your second one. Back in January 2017, I went with my sister and we reserved a 9:30am/9:45am reservation (can't remember the exact time) which was perfect! The CMs let us in the park early even though our ressie wasn't until a bit later. Anyway, even without this advantage the plan would have worked the same. We rushed right over to Soarin' and rode it twice before our ressie. I recommend this if you want to preserve the FP for Frozen. Either way, I would definitely use the FP for Frozen because the wait for Soarin feels more bearable with the addition of the new theater and it's a much more proportionate wait time to ride time ratio than Frozen where you'd wait 2 hours for a 5 minute ride.

Also, for the 3rd question I do recommend watching the YouTube channels "SeeYaReelSoon" and "Michael Kay" to get a good tutorial on how to interact with the characters as adults. They always make it seem very natural, although when I interact with characters it's cricket noise awkward so. Good luck and enjoy!

Not necessarily. DH and I, as a party of two, were seated in a lower level booth. You can request your preference at check-in, but you may have to wait a little longer for it mid-morning. When we were there, it seemed many of the tables on the upper level were pushed together for larger parties that couldn't fit in a single booth. So they may put smaller parties in the booths by default.

Possibly. We had an 8:15am ADR, arrived early, but weren't seated until about 8:30. We weren't trying to make Soarin so it didn't bother us. We also didn't see all the characters before 9am either. To expedite the process, you can ask your server to bring the second course right away (they bring out the sticky bun first if I recall) and you can also ask for your bill at the start of the meal too. I'd also be prepared to not see all the characters if making Soarin' is more important.

We prefer PPO breakfast over a mid-morning breakfast for a few reasons. For one, we're hungry in the morning! We're getting breakfast out of the way and not wasting park time to do so. Even with a mid-morning breakfast, you're still pressed for time beforehand, and its during the best part of the day for touring. And with buffets, if you get seated late, you may catch the lunch switchover in some cases which you may or may not want. Obviously that's not a concern with Garden Grill though.

I think in general my feeling on Soarin' is that I intend to ride it at some point during this trip and that it would be quite convenient to do it ahead of the rope drop crowds...but that it's something I've already experienced, whereas Garden Grill is new to me. Right now I think I'm going to try to book it PPO, but view being ahead of the line for Soarin' as a bonus that may or may not come to fruition, rather than a core purpose for the reservation. I really don't want to rush any of my table service meals; it kind of defeats the purpose in my mind.

I can't answer the first or third question, but I can confidently answer your second one. Back in January 2017, I went with my sister and we reserved a 9:30am/9:45am reservation (can't remember the exact time) which was perfect! The CMs let us in the park early even though our ressie wasn't until a bit later. Anyway, even without this advantage the plan would have worked the same. We rushed right over to Soarin' and rode it twice before our ressie. I recommend this if you want to preserve the FP for Frozen. Either way, I would definitely use the FP for Frozen because the wait for Soarin feels more bearable with the addition of the new theater and it's a much more proportionate wait time to ride time ratio than Frozen where you'd wait 2 hours for a 5 minute ride.

Also, for the 3rd question I do recommend watching the YouTube channels "SeeYaReelSoon" and "Michael Kay" to get a good tutorial on how to interact with the characters as adults. They always make it seem very natural, although when I interact with characters it's cricket noise awkward so. Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks for the recs! And yeah, I think Frozen will be my FP+ target for that morning; I'm alright with doing TT via single rider and Soarin' shouldn't be unreasonable even if the first of the rope drop crowd beat me to it.

I think in general my feeling on Soarin' is that I intend to ride it at some point during this trip and that it would be quite convenient to do it ahead of the rope drop crowds...but that it's something I've already experienced, whereas Garden Grill is new to me. Right now I think I'm going to try to book it PPO, but view being ahead of the line for Soarin' as a bonus that may or may not come to fruition, rather than a core purpose for the reservation. I really don't want to rush any of my table service meals; it kind of defeats the purpose in my mind.

Good call. Keep in mind that Soarin is relatively easy to obtain as a fourth fast pass, especially for a solo traveler. You may also find the standby time to be manageable during the day. It doesn't have the crowds and long waits it once had since the addition of the third theater.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter