Get Ready for a Western Adventure-August 2017 Wish Lifestyle/Weight Challenge

Joining you all because I need some Disney magic!

114 days until our first trip as a family of four - my daughters first Disney trip, she will be 2.5

I have gained about 20lbs this year and I really want to lose most/all of it before we go! Works out to be 1.25lbs a week so, 5lbs for the month of August.

GOALS:
Limit ice cream to 1X per week
85oz of water per day
Workout or Walk daily

Happy to be here and looking forward to being on this journey with you all!

I'm joining. I've been a lurker the last couple years, but I used to be much more active! So I think my goal this month is to log all my food. I find that keeps me accountable. I also want to make sure I get 7500 steps in, but not this week. It's in the 100s and we Pacific Northwesterners don't like anything over 75! It's almost bedtime and still 90. Did I mention we have no air conditioning?! blech

The first question makes me think too much so I'm going to skip it (remember, it's almost bedtime--braindead!). Water: I was swimming at the Y every morning for a couple years, but tweaked my shoulder and am not doing that anymore. Recreation wise, I really like the water, but we don't seem to do anything involving it anymore, aside from the very occasional walk in the park along the river.

My wahoo Wednesday is that today my summer break ended and I went back to work. Not really a wahoo, but since I started having dreams about work a week ago, I think it's time just to get it over with and go back! Plus I love my job, so that really does make it a wahoo.
Welcome! I'm also a PNWesterner, living in Seattle.

114 days until our first trip as a family of four - my daughters first Disney trip, she will be 2.5

I have gained about 20lbs this year and I really want to lose most/all of it before we go! Works out to be 1.25lbs a week so, 5lbs for the month of August.

GOALS:
85oz of water per day
Workout or Walk daily

Welcome!

Today I have a follow-up appointment with my Nutritionist... I'll have to confess to being off-track and take accountability, which is one of the primary reasons for seeing her. Right afterwards I have a Rolfing appointment, which I'm really looking forward to. And having to leave the office early isn't a bad thing either. Oh, did I say that out loud?

In addition to the super hot temps, we have a thick haze of smoke from the forest fires in Canada hanging over the city. Yesterday you could actually smell the scent of burnt wood. One plus, the smoke cover is thick enough that it's keeping the temps down a few degrees and the high today is expected to be around 91, instead of the 100+ predicted earlier. One not so plus, it has my allergies running rampant.

After reading up more on my sous vide, I've decided not to keep it, as I don't think it matches up well with my style of cooking... when I do cook. Instead I'm getting an Instant-pot, which is a cross between a crock pot and and a pressure cooker. For some reason that feels like a better fit.

Last weekend I got my hair colored... the gal I'm seeing finally found a product that she felt would result in the silvery grey I've been searching for. The roots took the color a little bit differently than the ends, where the yellow left over from the blonde was showing thru, but over all it was OK and the closest I've ever come to what I've wanted for about 10 years. Yesterday I decided I was ready for a haircut/re-style and was able to get in last night to have layers put in, as the grow out stage I'm in was looking like helmet hair, with a triangular shape. I love, love, love the new cut and the way it makes the color look even better. I feel about 10 years younger, which is always a good thing!

Happy Thursday everyone!

Good morning for Thursday August 3, 2017 I will be posting today's QOTD just as soon as I get cookies and cache cleared on my computer and reset my internet. ( on mobile right now not my WiFi). Maybe then I won't get as much not responding. Computer finally started responding after 2 AM my time when the boards are down but DH needed the computer as 12 year old was working on the other one. I fell asleep waiting for it.

GOALS:
85oz of water per day
Workout or Walk daily

Welcome!!

Those sound like great goals :)

For the ice cream (I am an ice cream lover, myself) have you tried/heard of Halo Top or Enlighten? They have lots of amazing flavors at a fraction of the calories compared to regular ice cream. I eat about a pint per week and still lose ~5 lbs/month.

I have mixed feelings about big storms - firstly they can be scary but then they are also fascinating and seeing the sky light up with lightning can be cool (as long as it is not right on top of me lol).

I am the opposite. i hate storms. Well more like really afraid of them. I have learned to keep it hidden from the kids but it does not always work. I am much better when I am at home during one. Really only because I don't have a basement. If we did I think I would live down there. Last summer I was driving during a storm (thankfully it was just my husband and myself). We were in the metroparks (protected land with parks and lots of trees/woods) And I just lost it. It was so bad we had to pull over while I cried and flipped out. I was even shaking really bad. Thankfully we were not that far from home and my husband drove the rest of the way. I was in no condition to drive. He shouldn't have been driving because he had a few drinks. He wasn't drunk but he doesn't drive even if he has one. My fear is quite ridiculous but I can't control it.

Today has been a somewhat rough day. First there was a huge accident that shut down the highway i take to work. Trying to leave early because of it I didn't ask my daughter if she had her leo for dance. I drop the kids off at camp and realize she doesn't have her leo or a snack for dance. Back home I went. Then on top of the accident on the highway I take there was 2 on my alternate highway I can take and then one on the main back road. So I took my normal route I got off at an earlier exit but was still in a lot of backed up traffic. I am supposed to be at work at 7:30 and I finally made it to my desk at about 9. Normally I would have just taken the train in but it take longer and I need to get home quick tonight since my daughter is in a parade for dance.

Eating has been bad today and I won't get to work out. Ugh!! I have been doing good with tracking what i eat so far and I have not gone over 1200 calories.

rUMzztW.jpg

Today we are going exploring starting with a place set like a historical town.

QOTD How does your eating change when your away from your normal day to day life

Bonus Question Where is your favorite non Disney Place to Visit

QOTD How does your eating change when your away from your normal day to day life: I do fine when I am working. Weekends and days off, I find it harder to stick to a decent eating plan. Oddly enough, when camping, I do better. Probably because there is no kitchen to go to any time I feel like snacking.

Bonus Question Where is your favorite non Disney Place to Visit: My favorite non Disney place is Pocono Palace in PA. DH and I take one mini trip a year just us to get real quality time in. I always come back feeling good that we make time for our relationship. It is a priority for us always and not something we will ourselves to put off until the kids are grown.

I'm joining. I've been a lurker the last couple years, but I used to be much more active! So I think my goal this month is to log all my food. I find that keeps me accountable. I also want to make sure I get 7500 steps in, but not this week. It's in the 100s and we Pacific Northwesterners don't like anything over 75! It's almost bedtime and still 90. Did I mention we have no air conditioning?! blech

:welcome:

I am not feeling all that woohoo tonight - some work stuff that has me a little

I hope today was a better day for you at work

Those days will fly by faster than you know

Those are great goals both a long term and a short term

byJqFF4.jpg

Take a look inside the one room school house

Ke5Bjoe.jpg

Check out the outside

( This is the first school house built in my county and was later moved to this model town in a place called Oscar's Dreamland. They also have a large building for receptions and parties. We took these exploring the grounds during a relative's 60th birthday party. In the photo is 9 year old though she was 8 in the photo).

Last edited:
When my schedule gets screwy so does my eating. Today being a good example of that. I have had 2 doughnuts and Jimmy Johns. I also have chips to eat later since I will not have dinner until after 8 tonight. Thankfully this is the last day of a crazy dance dance schedule and next week will be back to normal.

Favorite place outside of Disney. I am not sure. I have not been to many places. I visited my Aunt in Michigan twice but I haven't seen anything other then her house and the fair. I have been to Niagara falls once and Myrtle Beach several times. I have been to W.Va several times. Really like once a year growing up for family reunions and such. I have stopped and seen Savannah, GA on our way to Disney once as a kid and Charleston, SC once one of the times to Myrtle Beach. I did get to go to Hawaii with the marching band but swore it off for more years then I should have because my boy friend of over a year broke up with me the day we got there. I was such a stupid teenager. Out of all the places I really like Savannah and Charleston for the historical side and they are just beautiful. I would love to go to Hawaii again and actually enjoy it and not stay in my hotel room and cry.

There is one place close to home That i really liked. I love going to Amish Country in the fall. It is only about 1.5 hours away. It just a nice place to relax. My husband and i went for a weekend for our 10th anniversary.

QOTD: I travel a little bit for work, usually about one week every 2-3 months and when I'm gone -- no matter how good my intentions -- it's so hard to stay on track. I'm working on having more discipline in those times but also giving myself a little more grace because it is so darn difficult to stay within my points when I'm gone. I try to supplement with more exercise than usual and just know that I probably won't lose weight that week but can at least try to maintain.

Bonus: This is a cop out answer but honestly anywhere with a beach (preferably tropical). I love love love the ocean and being landlocked in the midwest can really bring me down. I try to visit the ocean at least once per year to get my fix.

QOTD: I find it more challenging to stay on track away from home. Even when at WDW.. I go thinking there are so many good choices it'll be easy peasy, but by the end of the trip there are some bad things that have happened.

BONUS: Favorite non-Disney destination... I think it has to be London. I've only been once (so far), and it was back in 2010. I did a Rick Steves tour for one week but also had a week on my own. I kind of felt like I fell a little bit short on the exploring on my own, but in hindsight now realize, heck, I spent a week walking around London - by MYSELF!!! I was really in to millinery and ribbon work at the time and went to the ribbon store about four times, buying all the things. Plus there was a Philip Treacy shop just 'round the corner from the hotel, so my roommate and I (who was also into hats) went in and ogled the offerings. I also did a couple day tours and got out to Stonehenge, Leeds Castle and Bath all of which I loved. I really want to go back to the UK next year, but this time it will be the great yarn tour.

Last edited:

:welcome:

My fear is quite ridiculous but I can't control it.

No its not. By DD can get quite anxious and she is petrified of storms ... she was doing a little better but for some reason even though we don't get a lot of storms in our area when we do the lightning seems to be really close by and I mean super close sometimes the crack is instant and so loud it sounds like it is right on/next the to the house... so she will hide in a bedroom under the covers. So usually we all pile onto my bed with the blind closed and play a game of UNO until it eases - but she is still super jumpy.

QOTD How does your eating change when your away from your normal day to day life

Its been a whilst since I have been away from my everyday life .... but usually not good. I am also better when at work than on the weekend.

Bonus Question Where is your favorite non Disney Place to Visit

I love the beach - also a tropical one where the water is a nice temperature - a few years ago we went camping at a place about 5 hours south of here and the water was freezing cold and that was in December! - Our summer - I did not enjoy that so much.

But travel wise it would have to be the US - I have affinity for the South and have visited only a few places there - Memphis and New Orleans - but loved it - I have passed that love onto DD and one day her and I hope to come back and do a big trip exploring so much more.

but swore it off for more years then I should have because my boy friend of over a year broke up with me the day we got there. I was such a stupid teenager.

This made me laugh because when I was thinking about favourite places .... I almost said Fiji - I mean it is a beach, tropical, crystal clear waters ticks all by boxes .... I have been twice .... both with different exes and so now my love for it is a little tarnished.

I would love to go to Hawaii again and actually enjoy it and not stay in my hotel room and cry.

Definitely go again with your family and create wonderful new memories.... When I decided to take my kids to DL and LA I was a little worried that it would remind me too much of the previous time I had been there with my ex ... but I made this trip all about things I and the kids wanted to do and did so much more than the last time I was there. I was able to use my knowledge of a few things having been there before to feel comfortable on my own with the kids and in the end I loved every bit of the trip and my new memories definitely drown out those of the previous visit and the trip was the trigger for me to start to get over that ex.

This is a cop out answer but honestly anywhere with a beach (preferably tropical).

Not a cop out ... I gave the same answer :rotfl:

Okay have to dash I have breakfast to make, the kids to school and me to work.[/QUOTE]

A lot depends on what is going on for me when I am off my regular schedule as to how well I stick to healthy eating. If I can stop for regular meals or have regular meals available where I am visiting I don't tend to do as much snacking. The we are going to deadhead it straight through stopping only for gas ( and don't you dare ask for a rest stop unless the driver initiates it) trips forget it because it is grab the snacks to keep the rumblings away.

My favorite non Disney place to visit is the Black Hills especially the Hill City, Custer, and Keystone areas including Custer State Park and Mount Rushmore ( seeing it in the late afternoon and then staying for the lighting ceremony and flag retirement is moving).

QOTD: It's weird, but when away from home I really seek out the fruits and veggies. At home they're there, but I don't grab them as much.
Bonus: I decided a couple weeks ago that I need an alpine meadow in my backyard. We went to Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic National Park and last year we literally drove in to Yosemite for lunch eaten out of the back of the car while standing then drove out. I feel totally calm and relaxed in an alpine meadow. So pretty. In places I actually visit more often than twice in my life--the beach. It's gorgeous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter