Girls trip, I'm booking my own room..not sharing.... now there's drama...

3 college girlfriends and I have an annual get together. We always share a room, so I'd be a bit surprised by the change if one of them wanted their own room, but it would not cross my mind to be "offended" by it, or miffed/upset/annoyed in any way. They are my friends, I want them to be comfortable.

I've been watching the new Netflix show "Friends from College" and it's made me realize how glad I am that some of the people I was friends with in college aren't part of my life anymore. The ones I've kept are healthy relationships, but if I lived closer, i bet I'd still have a lot of toxicity in my life. It sounds like B may be someone it's time to leave behind, friends shouldn't create that kind of drama

I totally understand your situation! I pay extra to room single for our church women's retreat, and get a lot of disgruntled comments from people who go 4 to a room. I can't even imagine.

I'm a tosser/turner to the point that DH sometimes doesn't want to sleep with me, and I snore.

The one year I allowed someone to share with me, I didn't even receive a refund and the woman talked incessantly into the wee hours of the morning.

I think you made the right choice. I'd be surprised if the trip actually happens based on what you've indicate is going on.

Haven't traveled with any of my friends for a few years now, however I can tell you that I would now require my own room -- and several of them would as well at this point. We've all had enough discussions regarding difficulties sleeping for that not to be a surprise or cause of offense for anyone.

You've done an amazing job to not engage in any of Queen B's nonsense. Let it blow over for now and hopefully in the future you can resume the trips with a happy group. Won't be your doing if everybody decides not to make accommodations for royalty in the future.

As someone who likes their space, I'd be booking my own room as well. I don't understand why anyone should be offended here. What difference does it make to them unless they were hoping to split hotel cost? B is a drama queen, I'm glad you backed out because it doesn't sound like she'd make it a very fun trip for you.

No I would not be offended. I would have done exactly what you did. And next year, I would either make it known to "B" - well ahead of time- that if she pulled that nonsense again, that I wouldn't ever be taking another girls trip with her. My guess is, not many of the other friends are going to want to put up with her BS either!

I would not be offended at all. I travel with family and once in a blue moon with a friend. I do not mind sharing a room, but there is no way I would let someone decide if and who I shared space with. Ther is a level of trust involved, and I don't have that with casual friends.

I would not be offended either, and would most definitely want to have my own room as well. It's great to spend time with girlfriends, enjoy each other's company, eat meals together, go to a show, shopping, etc. but at the end of the day when I'm ready to go to sleep I don't want to worry about anyone else in the room. I prefer my own space, my own bathroom, my own sleep schedule.

Maybe you should send out another e-mail, to everyone but "B" and plan another trip without her! :)

I used to go on ladies' weekends from our church and there would be 3-4 to a room and I didn't really care for that so stopped going. And one year we went to a retreat where it was all of us in a dormitory, ugh. Much prefer my own room.

Even when DD and I do a Mother/Daughter bed & breakfast night, we each have our own room.

Nope, wouldn't be offended. I'm in the exact same position as you. When I go to races, it's a weekend long event. I arrive on Friday and leave Sunday night. Our team travels with 2 RVs, as well as a huge trailer that normally stores a race car, but doubles as sleeping quarters. The tracks have full shower facilities, etc... Everyone on my team stays in the RVs or camps there. Except me. Exactly like OP said, I just like to do my own thing. When I'm ready for bed, I'm ready. I like having my own space, privacy, etc... They've offered many times for me to stay in the RV, but I politely decline. It's no offense to anyone, they are all my friends. I've just explained to them that I like my space at night, and I go to bed way earlier than they do. Nobody is offended, they understand. If they did get offended, oh well, sorry. I have a race this weekend, staying in a hotel.

I don't get where someone else thinks they get to assign you a roommate anyway? That just seems odd to me. I get that some might want to save money by doubling up, but if someone doesn't want to, and intends to pay for their own, it takes a special kind of "B" to think they can tell them otherwise.

Nope, would not even cross my mind to blink and eyelash, much less be offended...
BTDT..... I am one who did share a room, due to budget.
I think that "B" is the only one with the issues!!!!

I know how you feel. One of my children is on a travel sports team and the parents always want to share to save expenses. I hate it. One or two of the parents try to make you feel guilty if you don't want to share a room with someone. I did it on two trips out of guilt because the parent was having a tight time with finances. It was horrible. The last trip I said no, I was getting my own room. B is out of line! Do what makes you feel comfortable.

Nope wouldn't be offended at all. If you want to pay more $$ for a private room that is your business and your right. For "B" to say who you HAVE to share a room with without consulting you , especially when she KNOWS you always get your own room is crazy. Good to hear you decided to cancel I wouldn't want to travel with someone who is so controlling.

Me too! I'm too old to share, sleep on the floor, or sleep on the couch. I'm also too old for B.S.(that's short for "baloney sandwich") like the situation in the OP.:)

Agree. I always book my own accommodations when traveling with a group, and DH and I always book separately when traveling with family, I don't do nonsense and this sounds like a whole lot of nonsense to me.

Every year a group of my girl friends we plan a getaway for a girl long weekend. This year is Vegas, some shows, gambling, spa time, shopping and plenty of adult beverages... woo hoo...

So we got together for lunch to discuss what our options are, and where we want to stay, flights, and shows we might try to see.

So during the conversations, I reminded everyone that I wasn't 100% sure I would be able to go, but it wouldn't matter as I was booking my own room, and flight. So it didn't mess with anyone else plans. We are building a house, and our youngest daughter is having another baby and lives out of state... so I have a lot going on...

A few years ago I started doing this on our girls trips, just booking my own room, and I love it. So this is not the 1st time I have planned to do this. I am the type of person when I want to go to bed, I'm going to go to bed, I hate sharing a bathroom, and love having a king bed all to myself for a couple of nights. I am light sleeper, back and neck issue and sometimes I have to get up in the middle of the night and do stretch's, and really.... I just don't want to share... It's my time for me so if I am paying for it what's the dang big deal.

So after lunch we were all sitting around, catching up and chatting. One of the other ladies (lets call her K"), said it looks like we are sharing... I was like "what?" ... oh I said, I'm sorry, I'm not sure if I am even going, who told you we were sharing. So when she told me who told her (let use the initial "B"), I went straight to the source, and said why did you tell her that I am sharing with her, you know that I don't even know if I am going, yet... and if I do I am staying alone in the room that I am paying for. "B" said well to bad your going to have to share this trip, I said No! I'm not and that's that and ended the conversation.... I did speak to "K" and let her know that I was unsure if I was going and that it was not personal, and that did tell the everyone that my situation, she was fine with it and she completely understood.

There are a couple of other ladies that have since dropped out due to personal family stuff that they are not going to be able to go... So "K" has a room-mate.

The problem is that "B" is stirring the pot, basically running her mouth. She is a pot stirrer and loves drama.... I got a nasty email from "B" and I did not even respond back. Which only made her madder, that I won't play along. So apparently things have gotten out of hand with her trying to tell everyone who they are going to room and telling everyone what the trip itinerary is that she has decided on what's best for the group to point that several more ladies have dropped out. Normally we just get where we are going and decide then. This is the first time that "B" has been the point person for one of our trips...

After all this I just did a group email and bowed out and said I just can't make it right now.

So my question is would you be offended if someone in your group paid for their own room and did not want to share?

Just back up a little bit. I need to get something straight. B is one of your girl FRIENDS?

I will say, that B "assigning" you a roommate is even weirder since you said you'd make your own reservation. I could see it more if you were like "hey, reserve me a single," but on your own just pluses the level of crazy. Is this lady going to go to the room next door she wanted and just give those guests another one...

I would not be offended. And frankly, it's not as if you're all a bunch of college aged girls with part time jobs trying to save money in order to go. I'm surprised you don't all have your own rooms!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter