Hard Pass on Riviera Resort

I doubt people will be going over there for the QS. CB has it's own QS. People will obviously be going there for Toppolino's, it's a character meal and I am sure is intended to be a destination just like any other character meal location. Also I could see popping in there to purchase some DVC merch, since it seems like they have a pretty good selection.

It's the internet, so anyone who doesn't care for something (whether having actually seen/experienced it or not) MUST repeatedly stress how horrible it is until everyone else is shamed into disliking it as well. I actually thought Frozen 2 was a lousy movie, but others apparently disagree. I'm glad they enjoyed it :)

I wouldn't worry at all about what other people, myself included, think of Riviera. If you like it, go for it. I actually find the monorail to be surprisingly slow and inefficient with large crowds. Have you ever waited 15 minutes on that mob-scene platform at Grand Floridian? It's insanity. The skyliner (mostly) continually moves and has a MUCH higher passenger rate than the monorail.

There are pros and cons with anything - resort, form of transportation, etc. Everyone weighs them out and reaches their own conclusion. Heck, there's a certain amount of insanity right out the gate spending as much as some of us have on a timeshare! :rolleyes1 Fact is, Riviera will likely sell out in a similar timeframe as all the other on-property DVC resorts have. Then we'll move on to Reflections, someone will start a thread on why it sucks, it'll sell out, and the cycle will continue.

I agree and we bought there in April so we definitely have gone for it! :- )

I’m actually fascinated by the culture of Disney. Disney is so emotional and personal to people and it interests me to know what that means to them. Growing up in SoCal with family members who worked at Disneyland in Walt’s day, I experience a lot people with a very strict sense of how Disney should be... customer service beyond anywhere, maintaining the property so that no detail is ever not pristine, preserving the magic so no one ever sees behind the curtain, honoring the things Walt loved. The locals here are serious about these things and complain loudly when they are not up to par.

I find that people who frequent Disney World more have other things that matter to them and I love to hear where the fans differ because sometimes I really don’t get it.

I know GF has a lot of loyal fans and while I think anything that looks like Hotel del is pretty, I keep expecting to find the plastic hallway runners and couch covers my grandparents loved because it reminds me so much of grandma’s house. Nothing about it to me has anything to do with Disney... because I did not grow up going to Disney World.

I definitely wouldn’t have bought at Riviera if I thought it would be as busy as the Contemporary. I think the Riviera will be a great mix of movement and energy from the Skyliner and the people it brings with the quiet you would find at some of the other resorts.

And although I don’t love the implications for possible cuts if the resort does not sell well, I also won’t be angry if slow sales force them to rethink their stance on the resale restrictions. There are positives either way, to me at least.

Hi, just wondering where you got the bus. You mentioned a covered walkway to the bus stop. I don't know where you would have a covered walkway to the bus from IG. Please let us know where you got the bus. Thanks in advance.
There is a covered walkway from the RIV lobby to the bus stop. That night we had dinner at Topolino’s and headed to Epcot afterwards. The Skyliner was down but we were able to take a bus to Epcot and stay out of the rain. No covered walkway from IG unfortunately!

Except thats not related you need to compare Std to Std. Both categories are a minority of rooms. Then compare p to p.

129 vs 104

I know you and Rivshore love the resort but you need to compare apples to apples.

Lets also look at January and it's BWV 78/107 vs RIV 116/143
Still catching up on this thread but - having stayed at BLT and VGF standard views, their “standard” views are comparable to preferred views elsewhere. They’re certainly nicer than the wall of trees I’ve seen from BWV pool/garden and BCV (one view category, we got a high floor and near the elevator, which was all we could ask for). Here’s the view from our 3rd floor VGF standard.
ETA: Ex. A and B for why I’ll never book VGF preferred view.

Attachments

• 42C1CE90-185F-416A-A00E-CC9C241DF945.jpeg
    42C1CE90-185F-416A-A00E-CC9C241DF945.jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 9B7964C6-5AA9-412B-A248-85F5685FC103.jpeg
    9B7964C6-5AA9-412B-A248-85F5685FC103.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 38

I doubt people will be going over there for the QS. CB has it's own QS. People will obviously be going there for Toppolino's, it's a character meal and I am sure is intended to be a destination just like any other character meal location. Also I could see popping in there to purchase some DVC merch, since it seems like they have a pretty good selection.

I might venture over there to try the QS for lunch or dinner, this QS location is getting pretty good reviews. Only down side is I probable can't use TIW at this location.

There is a covered walkway from the RIV lobby to the bus stop. That night we had dinner at Topolino’s and headed to Epcot afterwards. The Skyliner was down but we were able to take a bus to Epcot and stay out of the rain. No covered walkway from IG unfortunately!

Thanks, I thought you were getting a bus when leaving IG from Epcot, I misunderstood where you were getting the bus. ;)

Yes there is. You can walk from VWL/CCV to Fort Wilderness.

I see what you are saying but I do not consider fort wilderness moderate. It is in a category by itself. The prices are closer to deluxe and the experience and grounds are incredibly unique. I would also argue that the people who stay at fort wilderness want to stay there, whereas the overwhelming majority of people staying at Caribbean beach, if prices were equal, would prefer to stay deluxe. Also, the fort wilderness/ lodge/boulder ridge complex is huge, and can comfortably accommodate many more people that the riv cbr complex. The fort wilderness area alone is 750 acres. How many acres is RIV + cbr? I have no idea, but you can tell just eyeballing it, that it is a fraction of FW alone. If you look at land space and lobby space per capita at the wilderness complex verses the RIV cbr complex, it is night and day. They have crammed thousands of people onto a very small amount of property at RIV cbr. The idea that people from cbr are not going to use RIV quickserve and amenities is wishful thinking on the part of RIV proponents. If I were staying at cbr, I would get off at RIV skyliner or leave from RIV skyliner all the time, stopping off for a quick meal at RIV on the way, or stopping of for a coffee in the RIV lobby. And Disney has set it up so that both resorts are part of one complex. At slower times of year, they will share buses just like BWV shares buses with swan/dolphin. I am sure there are people who love RIV, and power to them. But I have learned over the years staying at Disney that I really value a less harried resort. I like resorts with grounds and lobbies that are sized well and absorb guests. Most dvc resorts do this well. I am surprised that Disney would create a new resort with a smallish lobby, lacking in amenities, and effectively link it to a resort that is in a different price point with a very different theme— and accommodates many more people.

Still catching up on this thread but - having stayed at BLT and VGF standard views, their “standard” views are comparable to preferred views elsewhere. They’re certainly nicer than the wall of trees I’ve seen from BWV pool/garden and BCV (one view category, we got a high floor and near the elevator, which was all we could ask for). Here’s the view from our 3rd floor VGF standard.

What a great context to share, I agree having stayed at all of them!

Except based on your being on the 3rd of 4 levels you could have also been on the first floor. That is an issue with booking categories as they could likely put in a fireworks view there as well it looks like.

As for the math Standard is Standard. We were not talking about which one is better to look at simply the price. Especially since very few people have even stayed in the rooms and I haven't come across much for room reviews at Riviera at this point.

Here is a nice view from a standard view at VGF as well. GFV.jpeg

I see what you are saying but I do not consider fort wilderness moderate. It is in a category by itself. The prices are closer to deluxe and the experience and grounds are incredibly unique. I would also argue that the people who stay at fort wilderness want to stay there, whereas the overwhelming majority of people staying at Caribbean beach, if prices were equal, would prefer to stay deluxe. Also, the fort wilderness/ lodge/boulder ridge complex is huge, and can comfortably accommodate many more people that the riv cbr complex. The fort wilderness area alone is 750 acres. How many acres is RIV + cbr? I have no idea, but you can tell just eyeballing it, that it is a fraction of FW alone. If you look at land space and lobby space per capita at the wilderness complex verses the RIV cbr complex, it is night and day. They have crammed thousands of people onto a very small amount of property at RIV cbr. The idea that people from cbr are not going to use RIV quickserve and amenities is wishful thinking on the part of RIV proponents. If I were staying at cbr, I would get off at RIV skyliner or leave from RIV skyliner all the time, stopping off for a quick meal at RIV on the way, or stopping of for a coffee in the RIV lobby. And Disney has set it up so that both resorts are part of one complex. At slower times of year, they will share buses just like BWV shares buses with swan/dolphin. I am sure there are people who love RIV, and power to them. But I have learned over the years staying at Disney that I really value a less harried resort. I like resorts with grounds and lobbies that are sized well and absorb guests. Most dvc resorts do this well. I am surprised that Disney would create a new resort with a smallish lobby, lacking in amenities, and effectively link it to a resort that is in a different price point with a very different theme— and accommodates many more people.

All is definitely a possibility, but, the offerings at RIV...at least what I viewed on the menu, are not extensive From what I understand, the QS locations at a moderate are more expansive and offer so much more. I know before DVC we stayed at POR and we definitely had a much better QS experience there than any of the deluxe we have stayed at.

I actually didnt find lobby small...bigger than BLT.. I’m curious what amenities you think are lacking there.

I agree that there could be CBR people in the section close to RIV maybe using it as a choice, but since pools are off limits, I would be surprised to see it overwhelm. But only time will tell.

In terms of FW, there was a time years ago when WL pools would be crowded with people going from FW and they had to find a way to curb it.

Ill be there in May and the weather will be nicer so it will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Except based on your being on the 3rd of 4 levels you could have also been on the first floor. That is an issue with booking categories as they could likely put in a fireworks view there as well it looks like.

As for the math Standard is Standard. We were not talking about which one is better to look at simply the price. Especially since very few people have even stayed in the rooms and I haven't come across much for room reviews at Riviera at this point.

Here is a nice view from a standard view at VGF as well. View attachment 460933

I think you are really missing others points. The argument continues thst staying at RIV always cost way more to stay there over other resorts. That is not true. No one, including me, has argued that the points charts are not higher,

But, one can make a stay at RIV work for a comparable number to some rooms elsewhere if the resort one chooses is more important than view and an owner there can get SV rooms.

As I said, what good is comparing a SV room at BWV.l,which has some very low point times which is not typical...if you can’t book it and have to settle for garden view?

Plus, not everyone defines too high the same. To me, 1 to 4 points a night more is comparable. Having to spend 8-10 is not.

Absolutely, if you are forced to stay preferred at RIV vs preferred at BCV or BWV, it will cost more. But, my SV rooms in November are not costing me a lot more than what I was able to get at BWV.

Again, if one is only going to look at point charts with no context...then, OKW is the winner,

As I said, what good is comparing a SV room at BWV.l,which has some very low point times which is not typical...if you can’t book it and have to settle for garden view?

Except why wouldn't the Riviera book up in the standard view category just like BWV? BWV has 24% standard rooms and RIV has 30% standard rooms. Both are a subset of the total pool of rooms.

Also what good does it do to compare BWV Preferred to RIV Std except to try and grasp at a point that points are comparable on completely different booking category.

Tell me a situation in why you compare it? You own at RIV possibly is the only example but this whole thread is on passing on RIV to start with so that can't be the reason.

But, my SV rooms in November are not costing me a lot more than what I was able to get at BWV.

You are also comparing a non fully open resort. Think it's been said the tower studios are pretty easy to get right now as well.

If I wanted Nov at BWV I could easily grab a date earlier and start walking. The same will be true at RIV.

A great example the week prior to Thanksgiving there was full availability for walking at BWV. Also the week prior to November also had availability.

Last edited:
Except why wouldn't the Riviera book up in the standard view category just like BWV? BWV has 24% standard rooms and RIV has 30% standard rooms. Both are a subset of the total pool of rooms.

Also what good does it do to compare BWV Preferred to RIV Std except to try and grasp at a point that points are comparable on completely different booking category.

Tell me a situation in why you compare it? You own at RIV possibly is the only example but this whole thread is on passing on RIV to start with so that can't be the reason.

It might, and if in a few years, if RIV SV proves as elusive as BWV SV, then the situation changes. However, because SV at RIV has a points chart more similar to BCV and BWV garden, the quickness in those rooms going may not be the same. Currently, my own experience has been that I had no problem at the 8 am window getting 2 SV studios at RIV and cant seem to get it at BWV.

Let’s not forget, RIV has tower studios and being an owner there will most likely be important. So, if that room type fits ones travel plans then they can stay as cheaply as BWV standard. I already shared that when doing solo trips, size of room won’t matter.

Context is important when discussing stays, IMO. There are several situations that could allow someone to stay at RIV and spend something comparable to other resorts. It’s that point that I and others are making that you seem to be confused about.

For me, I look at what comes out of my account and if my choices are SV at RIv or BCV/BWV, either choice costs me about the same. If that is the case, then I’ll choose which ever one meets the needs of the trip I am booking

Last edited:
For this go for actual examples. Except the reason I think you avoid it is because many would likely not consider RIV to be at the same level at VGF or Poly. Both of those cost more though.

Someone may not see them as the same, but that argument moves the conversation into value and opinion, not what it will cost for the choices

For you, no matter what the cost, you won’t be spending any points to stay at RIV..it’s not worth it to you. It offer you no pluses over staying at BCV or BWV.

For me, I just stayed at BCV and was using an ECV. I can tell you having that, it would have been much easier for me, had I wanted to visit HS to be staying at RIV with the Skyliner than having to use the boat or riding all the way there, Again, context plays a role,

ETA: I have given you examples of ways to have a stay at RIV that costs me about a comparable amount,,you argued it wasn’t valid because I didn’t do it your way. Again, my 4 nights at RIV in November 2020 is costing me 16 more points than my friends 4 nights at BWV garden. Definitely not an amount breaking the bank.

ETA2: I am staying for 2 nights in May in a 1 bedroom at RIV. I got a SV room. It is 2 more points more than BLT LV and only 6 points more than BWV garden. Since those were the only other resorts I wanted, again, staying at RIV is not costing me much more for those 2 nights. Had I been forced to take PV, then yes, it would have been a lot more...24 points compared to BLT...but I didnt have to, so it’s a mute point

Last edited:
I just listened to Len Testa’s review of the Riv on the Disney Dish podcast yesterday. He was overall very positive about it-clearly thought it was a beautiful resort and that the rooms are exceptional, with the exception of the tower studios, which he described as being the worst rooms on property, and the worst value, bar none. They sounded so bad I feel driven to see one now. :o

You could have shortened that post and simply said that you don't want to be forced to look at or mingle with Moderate resort guests when staying at a deluxe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter