Hard Pass on Riviera Resort

Sorry for your SkyLiner experience. We are here now and thankfully it has been a very smooth experience for us. We are a family of 5 so thankfully we have always had our own SkyLiner to ride, but that stroller business does sound messy!
I also agree with you about Riviera. While it is a beautiful resort, it isn’t my favorite choice at Disney. It does have that business trip feel to it. However, I am sure there will be many families that love that style. I am thankful there is something for everyone.

Context is important when discussing stays, IMO. There are several situations that could allow someone to stay at RIV and spend something comparable to other resorts. It’s that point that I and others are making that you seem to be confused about.

Because this thread is on passing on Riveria and a reason is point charts.

When looking at a home resort many will look at the lower point category. If you are like myself I will just walk the reservation or move my dates if availability is an issue.

Again I think the thought process is pretty sound to expect Standard View at RIV to book up quickly and be walked. It's a 20% premium at RIV and 21% premium at BWV to go from Std to Prem view in October.

With RIV it will be another 2-3 years to see what things look like when it sells out.

Someone may not seem them as the same, but that argument moves the conversation into value and opinion, not what it will cost for the choices

For you, no matter what the cost, you won’t be spending any points to stay at RIV..it’s not worth it to you.

For me, I just stayed at BCV and was using an ECV. I can tell you having that, it would have been much easier for me, had I wanted to visit HS to be staying at RIV with the Skyliner than having to use the boat or riding all the way there, Again, context plays a role,

I gave you a slam dunk and you couldn't even take it. You had to go to personal attacks on if I like Riveria or not and revert back to BCV comparisons.

Do I need to do the actual argument myself for you? VGF and Poly are both more expensive than RIV. CCV got lucky taking on an old point chart but has worse location than RIV (based on the skyliner).

If you can get a cheap room at BWV/BCV you will save on points but of the other park connected resorts you will find Riveria to actually be fairly comparable if not a tad cheaper. The Riveria point chart I wouldnt be surprised is going to be fairly similar to Reflections.

RIV is cheaper than POLY/VGF and BLT can be 5% more expensive in the standard rooms or either less/more expensive base on which Premium tier you get at BLT. That is 5% on an older resort which some will say is way less Disney than all the hidden touches you find at Riveria.

Might as well buy an OKW 2057 contract and rent a car.
This is a great idea!
I am beginning to think BLT is the right choice for us, worst case you can always walk to Magic Kingdom!
Another great idea! The advantage of walking to/from BLT to MK is enormous, especially when dealing with small children. Also BLT is a really cool place.:earsboy:

For this go for actual examples. Except the reason I think you avoid it is because many would likely not consider RIV to be at the same level at VGF or Poly. Both of those cost more though.
Cost more in what sense? Pretty sure both can be had for less on resale and 200 points runs you $400 less a year in dues. Vgf is more in terms of points but actual "cost" in dollars it is cheaper.

You could have shortened that post and simply said that you don't want to be forced to look at or mingle with Moderate resort guests when staying at a deluxe.

Or more accurately state that the FW area is massive and you don't have resorts on top of each other. Every resort is looking out on a lake which has nothing but water and woods in view.

It's also separated enough that each resort uses its own limited space.

Riveria wasnt likely built to support another resorts guests regularly coming over. If you have additional people cramming in to the Riveria QS it could help it for the extra business or hurt it because actual guests couldn't gain easy access

Look at the parking restrictions in some resorts. If it gets bad enough could we see Riviera being the first resort to lock off its QS to resort only guests?

I have a feeling it won't be that big of an issues specific to QS just because Epcot is so close. Why walk over and hit Riveria when in about the same time you can be to Epcot.

Because this thread is on passing on Riveria and a reason is point charts.

When looking at a home resort many will look at the lower point category. If you are like myself I will just walk the reservation or move my dates if availability is an issue.

Again I think the thought process is pretty sound to expect Standard View at RIV to book up quickly and be walked. It's a 20% premium at RIV and 21% premium at BWV to go from Std to Prem view in October.

With RIV it will be another 2-3 years to see what things look like when it sells out.

I gave you a slam dunk and you couldn't even take it. You had to go to personal attacks on if I like Riveria or not and revert back to BCV comparisons.

Do I need to do the actual argument myself for you? VGF and Poly are both more expensive than RIV. CCV got lucky taking on an old point chart but has worse location than RIV (based on the skyliner).

If you can get a cheap room at BWV/BCV you will save on points but of the other park connected resorts you will find Riveria to actually be fairly comparable if not a tad cheaper. The Riveria point chart I wouldnt be surprised is going to be fairly similar to Reflections.

RIV is cheaper than POLY/VGF and BLT can be 5% more expensive in the standard rooms or either less/more expensive base on which Premium tier you get at BLT. That is 5% on an older resort which some will say is way less Disney than all the hidden touches you find at Riveria.

I only compared to BCV and BWV because that’s what we have been discussing. I apologize if I misunderstood your point re: VGF and Poly.

Yes, those are more in some cases And a person might choose RIV over that depending on aspects of trip. Me, I’ll spend more for VGF and Poly if my trip and guests want to be in MK area. My June trip I’m spending 115 points for a SV studio to stay at VGF, even though RIV would have only cost me 88 in SV which was available. Why? My guest wanted to stay at VGF and never has.

Last edited:
Cost more in what sense? Pretty sure both can be had for less on resale and 200 points runs you $400 less a year in dues. Vgf is more in terms of points but actual "cost" in dollars it is cheaper.

Sorry RIV resale is cheaper if we are going the resale route from what I understand. Also with less points required lowers the MFs as well.

Looking at 7% less points for 1 week in October in Standard views.

At $125/point for Riveria and $170/point for VGF it would be like 57 years for a breakeven on the upfront purchase savings for a Studio/1week/october.

Or more accurately state that the FW area is massive and you don't have resorts on top of each other. Every resort is looking out on a lake which has nothing but water and woods in view.

And?

I've owned points at the BoardWalk for 15 years. When I'm walking along the water or waiting in line at the Bakery, I have no idea if the people next to me are from Beach Club, Dolphin or Pop Century guests who walked over from the IG.

Doesn't matter one bit.

Riveria wasnt likely built to support another resorts guests regularly coming over. If you have additional people cramming in to the Riveria QS it could help it for the extra business or hurt it because actual guests couldn't gain easy access

Look at the parking restrictions in some resorts. If it gets bad enough could we see Riviera being the first resort to lock off its QS to resort only guests?

Grand Floridian has one quick service for about 1000 hotel rooms and villas. Same at Contemporary. Old Key West has one (often inconveniently located) lunch counter.

I think Primo Piatto can handle the demand from 300 villas plus a few nearby CBR guests.

And?

I've owned points at the BoardWalk for 15 years. When I'm walking along the water or waiting in line at the Bakery, I have no idea if the people next to me are from Beach Club, Dolphin or Pop Century guests who walked over from the IG.

Doesn't matter one bit.

Grand Floridian has one quick service for about 1000 hotel rooms and villas. Same at Contemporary. Old Key West has one (often inconveniently located) lunch counter.

I think Primo Piatto can handle the demand from 300 villas plus a few nearby CBR guests.

I forgot about GF..yes, the place at RiV didn’t seem smaller for sure than Gasperillas

And?

I've owned points at the BoardWalk for 15 years. When I'm walking along the water or waiting in line at the Bakery, I have no idea if the people next to me are from Beach Club, Dolphin or Pop Century guests who walked over from the IG

And not that many people are walking down to the Boardwalk. It's different when it's basically closer than your own resorts option or possibly on the way back to certain CBR rooms.

BWV also has the Bakery, Pizza Window, Pool Bar, and Lounge. Not to mention in the distance to walk to the boardwalk area you could already be over to the American pavilion in Epcot.

So it very much is different.

Doesn't mean it will be an issue but there is questions.

And not that many people are walking down to the Boardwalk. It's different when it's basically closer than your own resorts option or possibly on the way back to certain CBR rooms.

BWV also has the Bakery, Pizza Window, Pool Bar, and Lounge. Not to mention in the distance to walk to the boardwalk area you could already be over to the American pavilion in Epcot.

So it very much is different.

Doesn't mean it will be an issue but there is questions.

I was at RIV and got to be honest, it is not a quick walk from CBR to the CS restaurant from even the closet section. I have no idea how long it takes to get to CBRs location, but I’d be curious to know how close is it to the Skyliner station at CBR. That could also play a role in who would choose RIV QS vs CBR.

I have waited over 30 minutes at BWV bakery so it does get busy.

I have a feeling it won't be that big of an issues specific to QS just because Epcot is so close. Why walk over and hit Riveria when in about the same time you can be to Epcot.

You need park admission to enter Epcot, no admission need to use QS at RR. I'm thinking about taking the Skyliner over to RR to try the QS, I read very good reviews about this location. My trip this year is going to be a little different then other years as I'm not going to activate my annual pass this trip since I have tickets through Shades of Green. Bought them so my daughter and family didn't have to put out so much money (actually no cost to them since mom and dad paid ;) for park tickets and my husband has to use one of the tickets so I bought for both of us. This means I have a no park week at WDW so I will have time to resort hop and I plan to hop on over to RR and try out the QS since reading the good reviews. I won't be able to go to Epcot to eat unless I either activate my annual pass or buy additional admission.

And not that many people are walking down to the Boardwalk.

That's certainly open to debate.

It's different when it's basically closer than your own resorts option or possibly on the way back to certain CBR rooms.

There are maybe 3 buildings (of 24) at Caribbean Beach where guests would be closer to Primo Piatto than to CBR's own food court. And there are 6 buildings which are closer to Riviera Skyliner station than the other CBR station. All of those facilities can easily handle the extra traffic.

Riviera has its own pool bar and lounge, so that's a moot point. And if you added up all the foot traffic to the Bakery + pizza window combined, it's nothing close to overwhelming.

The ratio of quick service dining + lounge + pool bar facilities to guest rooms at Riviera is probably higher than every other Disney resort. (Again, Contemporary and GF are similar setup with 3x as many rooms, Poly and SSR have two QS dining venues for 800-900 rooms). Riviera can easily handle guests from CBR or any other resort who feel like passing through via the Skyliner.

You're inventing drama where none exists. Riviera guests will not lose precious hours of vacation time waiting for the Skyliner or a food order. And the resort isn't going to close off facilities to non-guests.

There are maybe 3 buildings (of 24) at Caribbean Beach where guests would be closer to Primo Piatto than to CBR's own food court. And there are 6 buildings which are closer to Riviera Skyliner station than the other CBR station. All of those facilities can easily handle the extra traffic.

Riviera has its own pool bar and lounge, so that's a moot point. And if you added up all the foot traffic to the Bakery + pizza window combined, it's nothing close to overwhelming.

The ratio of quick service dining + lounge + pool bar facilities to guest rooms at Riviera is probably higher than every other Disney resort. (Again, Contemporary and GF are similar setup with 3x as many rooms, Poly and SSR have two QS dining venues for 800-900 rooms). Riviera can easily handle guests from CBR or any other resort who feel like passing through via the Skyliner.

You're inventing drama where none exists. Riviera guests will not lose precious hours of vacation time waiting for the Skyliner or a food order. And the resort isn't going to close off facilities to non-guests.
When I was waiting at RIV to get the Skyliner back to Epcot, they said that during busy times, they will only load every other one coming from CBR, If RIV crowds are more than CBR, he said they’d leave every 2 empty.

So, it sounds like they have a plan to adjust how those cars come in to RIV from CBR based on crowds. The day I was there, there was only one group in front of me, so the cars were coming with guests, but within a few minutes, there were more people behind me and the CM radioed to start sending empty cars. It still only took less than 3 minutes to be in a car

I agree...people seem to Be worrying about problems that may not happen and aren’t happening elsewhere where the strain is even greater.

What drama am I inventing?

No one knows any of this for a fact based on previous knowledge but it is something to think about.

Same with skyliner access where at times there is a line to get on at the end of the lines. Now you have a loading zone in the middle.

Its not like these are legitimate questions on what will be happening a couple years time.

I agree...people seem to Be worrying about problems that may not happen and aren’t happening elsewhere where the strain is even greater.

See the thing is most haven't been to the resort and don't know the staffing or space.

As an example I would expect VGF to staff their quick service to handle the guests staying there. At Riveria the thought process is they have to staff for their guests but also an unknown number of external guests from CBR. Sounds like so far Disney has done that.

This is the first time a new resort has been built with a resort 5x its size next door.

When CCV, Poly, and VGF were built they were added in to an existing deluxe resort. Riveria is not being added to CBR though its operated independently with CBR guests leveraging some of RIVs amenities. Which is opposite.

I mean debate it then? Show me pictures of the boardwalk area anywhat full? Maybe that's the start of something. One can say Riveria will be the same.

Looking at it from the air though about 1/6th of CBR would walk through RIV instead of going back to the CBR skyliner stop (Martinique) and then another 1/6th is closer to RIV skyliner than CBR (north portion of Aruba). Not sure what was meant by 6 buildings butaybe we are saying the same thing (roughly 500 rooms).

No one knows any of this for a fact based on previous knowledge but it is something to think about.

Same with skyliner access where at times there is a line to get on at the end of the lines. Now you have a loading zone in the middle.

Its not like these are legitimate questions on what will be happening a couple years time.

See the thing is most haven't been to the resort and don't know the staffing or space.

As an example I would expect VGF to staff their quick service to handle the guests staying there. At Riveria the thought process is they have to staff for their guests but also an unknown number of external guests from CBR. Sounds like so far Disney has done that.

This is the first time a new resort has been built with a resort 5x its size next door.

When CCV, Poly, and VGF were built they were added in to an existing deluxe resort. Riveria is not being added to CBR though its operated independently with CBR guests leveraging some of RIVs amenities. Which is opposite.

I mean debate it then? Show me pictures of the boardwalk area anywhat full? Maybe that's the start of something. One can say Riveria will be the same.

Looking at it from the air though about 1/6th of CBR would walk through RIV instead of going back to the CBR skyliner stop (Martinique) and then another 1/6th is closer to RIV skyliner than CBR (north portion of Aruba). Not sure what was meant by 6 buildings butaybe we are saying the same thing (roughly 500 rooms).

I have stayed at VGF several times and it has 4 registers to handle crowds. There are long waits. I have waited at BLT and at BWV, Even at WL for 20 minutes or so if I go at a peak time. No pictures but first hand experienc

When I visited RIV in Dec on the 17th around 8:30 am, there were absolutely no lines at the QS location and hardly anyone even there,

But you are absolutely correct that RIV is next to CBR a large resort. But what makes you believe that Disney hasn’t planned for a crossover? I’d venture if people here have wondered, I’m going to venture to guess so as Disney.

Even if all 500 rooms you mention that may be closer to RIV use Skyliner and QS..which probably won’t happen for at least the meals...it still means they’d be servicing about 800 rooms, less then BLT and Contemporary which is over 1000.

Let’s not forget that you may also have RIV guests who may be heading to HS who decide to try the CS location at CBR as well as it appears to be a much better place with a lot more variety.

Could it be a problem? Sure. But when they built BLT and VGF, people weren’t so critical. When they added Kidani, it was discussed what would happen at Mara, and it appears those fears haven't really materialized.

Point is that logistically, the crowds at RIV for eating and maybe the Skyliner will be more more or less worse than elsewhere if current activity at other resorts holds true. No reason for people, IMO, of acting like this will be,

It helps to apply a little common sense and deductive reasoning rather than simply declaring "well, these things COULD happen...we don't know for sure!"

I have.

I see no reason to fear that Disney will deliberately short staff a restaurant when it has paying customers to serve.

I don't know why you're so fixated on CBR's size being so many multiples of Riviera. Here's the bottom line: Riviera + CBR combined have about 1900 rooms. (Which, incidentally, makes them just a little larger than Yacht+Beach and smaller than All Stars, Pop and AOA) Accessible to those rooms are 3 quick service restaurants, one table service, one Signature with character meal, plus an assortment of coffee shops, lounges and bars.

Riviera is the single smallest resort at Walt Disney World, and most of its rooms have full kitchens. In addition to the other resort restaurant comparisons I've previously listed, here's one more: Jambo House has 1300 hotel rooms, 130 villas and ONE quick service restaurant (The Mara).

There's no logical basis for suggesting that Riviera's restaurant is incapable of serving the residents of 300 villas plus several hundred nearby hotel rooms.

What's debatable is your self-serving portrayal of Riviera's potential for being overrun with CBR guests while boardwalk remains a quiet little hamlet despite being within easy walking distance of more than 4000 hotel rooms, a Skyliner station and the Epcot theme park itself.

Let’s not forget that you may also have RIV guests who may be heading to HS who decide to try the CS location at CBR as well as it appears to be a much better place with a lot more variety.

That's a great point. Once again only the negative of CBR quests going to Riv was noted by some, while ignoring the very likely positive offset of Riv guests going to CBR.

Swan and Dolphin is most definitely a moderate. I can book it right now in June for $220-$250 a night. Actually the last time we went to Disney we stayed cash at a moderate resort and I was trying to convince the wife to stay at the Swan and Dolphin to save some money over the moderate resort, but she didn’t like the bland look of the resort and also that it was a conference resort.
Also u pay resort fee and daily parking. It’s not such a deal.

I have never stayed at BC/BWV but I have eaten there and at the Boardwalk restaurants and bars. We have eaten at plenty of other resorts all while staying at a different one.
Eating solely at the resort we stay at would be boring and I doubt CBR guests are going to overwhelm RIV restaurants should they choose to eat there. We will go out of our way to eat at BOMA breakfast love that restaurant I guess the CBR crowds haven't found about it yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter