Has anyone seen the "news" going around about being able to keep the towel animals Mousekeeping make

If you are going to "leave an even bigger tip for mousekeeping", and essentially "pay" for the towel, why don't you leave the money at the front desk and effectively pay for what you are taking. Giving mousekeeping a "bigger tip" only encourages the whole process and costs the company (Disney) money. I wonder if mousekeeping would tell you to take the towel if the money for the missing towel came out of their pocket. I doubt it.

This whole discussion is nuts! I mean, why not take a couple of flowers out of one of the gardens to take home. Or why not take a placemat or a breadbasket from a signature restaurant because the server said it was o.k.

This costs money people. I tend to think you would not allow something similar if you were in business.

While I would normally agree with you 100%, you have clearly not read the thread, or you missed the part where it was stated "These towels will be thrown away if you don't take them" This practice costs no one any money. In fact, it SAVES Disney money, because the more towel animals you take, the fewer they have to pay disposal fees for. You should have read the thread before chiming in.

While I would normally agree with you 100%, you have clearly not read the thread, or you missed the part where it was stated "These towels will be thrown away if you don't take them" This practice costs no one any money. In fact, it SAVES Disney money, because the more towel animals you take, the fewer they have to pay disposal fees for. You should have read the thread before chiming in.

Really???? Please, find someone from Disney, who has authority, who has told you the towels are being thrown out and you are free to take them. "Saves Disney money"? Please!!!!!

And what if for a second I believe you (which I don't). And suddenly there are more towels being taken than what Disney was in your words "throwing away".

It is stealing!

And from a quote earlier - "But how do I know they don't allow it"? Does this mean if you go to your favourite store and it doesn't say "NO STEALING ALLOWED", it means it's ok?

And from a quote earlier - "But how do I know they don't allow it"? Does this mean if you go to your favourite store and it doesn't say "NO STEALING ALLOWED", it means it's ok?

Your reply doesn't make sense. In this situation, you have multiple guests saying that multiple CM's have told them it's OK to take the towels. That sets a precedence.

In your scenario, the equivalent would be a sign stating "this item if free, please take it".

If I go to Ghiradelli's and the CM tells me the bowl is free chocolate samples, am I stealing if I take one?

If you are going to "leave an even bigger tip for mousekeeping", and essentially "pay" for the towel, why don't you leave the money at the front desk and effectively pay for what you are taking. Giving mousekeeping a "bigger tip" only encourages the whole process and costs the company (Disney) money. I wonder if mousekeeping would tell you to take the towel if the money for the missing towel came out of their pocket. I doubt it.

This whole discussion is nuts! I mean, why not take a couple of flowers out of one of the gardens to take home. Or why not take a placemat or a breadbasket from a signature restaurant because the server said it was o.k.

This costs money people. I tend to think you would not allow something similar if you were in business.

Maybe you should ask before you think that everyone is stealing... I took this directly from the Mom's Panel off the Disney website... Towel animals are gifts and you are welcome to take them home. One would think people would do research and find an answer rather than make assumptions. http://disneyparksmomspanel.disney.go.com/questions.aspx?pgm=2&pid=45&cid=73&qid=19980

http://disneyparksmomspanel.disney.go.com/questions.aspx?pgm=2&pid=45&cid=73&qid=19980

Again, read the very first sentence of the Mom's reply I quote " I am sorry to hear that you left yours behind as they are definitely for you to take home. We have a great collection of these wonderful towel origami animals in our bathroom at home (courtesy of Disney!)."

The towel animals (ones with glued on eyes and ribbon) are made as a gift for the room; they are yours to keep.
Can we end the crazy accusations now?

We got a mouse, or maybe a cat? Something like that, that wasn't really well done, in the first couple of days...my daughter was thrilled. The next morning I told her to thank Housekeeping, but they moved too fast...so after some sad tears that she didn't get to say thank you, I let her run halfway down the hall (she was 5) to say Thank You. The next day, we got a phenomenal teddy-bear that definitely came home with us. He had ribbons, and bows, and a nose glued on...he survived being packed in a (very) full suitcase and shipped home to Toronto. He still lives in her room, and looks as good as the day he was left for us. Except, you know, more dusty.

maybe i'm missing something but taking the little towel animals home is completely ridiculous. they're cute and it's a charming feature but it's still a towel. leave it for the next guest. go home and make some with your own towels. come on now.

maybe i'm missing something but taking the little towel animals home is completely ridiculous. they're cute and it's a charming feature but it's still a towel. leave it for the next guest. go home and make some with your own towels. come on now.

Actually if you don't take the towel animal home; it is destroyed and the towel finally goes to where ever Disney discards their end of life towels. The towel animals are a gift from Mousekeeping to your room. Why not take it home? Would you leave a gift given to you by family at their house? No... so why do it here. The towels used are towels deemed to be at the end of their life cycle. Disney re-purposes them into towel animals. I think its a very neat and thoughtful idea.

Seems doubtful. I know they sell the Disney Parks Branded Towels. They're not going to do that if it's canabilized.

As a DVC member I'd be disturbed if people were taking towels. I'd rather have my dues going to improvements or upkeep of SSR. That's just me...
I agree

Really???? Please, find someone from Disney, who has authority, who has told you the towels are being thrown out and you are free to take them. "Saves Disney money"? Please!!!!!

And what if for a second I believe you (which I don't). And suddenly there are more towels being taken than what Disney was in your words "throwing away".

It is stealing!

Dude - calm down. I have personally talked to housekeeping directly and they have TOLD me to take them! I have been told this MORE THAN ONCE. How can it possibly be stealing if they are GIVING them to you? There's MULTIPLE DISNEY SOURCES that have said this. C'mon, you aren't even reading what's being said in the thread. Are you upset that Bob Iger didn't announce this to you personally? Either that or you are just baiting folks.

In your analogy to your favorite store, it's more like a bakery that has a sample plate on the counter with no sign, and I walk up and ask the person behind the counter..."Are these free samples?" and they say "YES", so I take a couple. Does that constitute stealing?

I've never gotten one of these (just the mickey ears upon arrival)!! I've clearly been missing out!:sad:

The last several trips to both WDW and DLR the bellhops who collected our luggage asked us if we wanted to take the towel animals. They each said they just get thrown out. We took them home from WDW as we were driving but left them at DLR because we were flying home. They decorate our son's bathroom until they collect enough dust to get tossed.

Martin

I haven't checked in here much in the last few years, but see this debate is still going strong. Yes, it's okay to take your towel animals.

I got a CM to give me the skinny. The towel animals are not intended for guests to keep, even though some CMs say you can. I was told CMs says yes to avoid confrontation. The ones that are left, are thrown into the laundry with the rest of the linens, and re-used. Guess where the cost is recovered when they have to be replaced? See increased room rates/maintenance fees... Just leave the towels... they unravel after a few days at home (if they survive the suitcase) and then are probably thrown out anyway.

The "sculptures" they leave on the beds, sure. They once left us an adorable elephant made of towels that were in great shape and the thing fell to pieces the minute my kids got their hands on it, much like the Mickey head (which is definitely not a keeper). We used the towels, which came in very handy, and they went right back into the cycle.

We never got any of the really fun ones, which are what I understand are the ones you are able to keep. The difference between the two is pretty obvious.

I got a CM to give me the skinny. The towel animals are not intended for guests to keep, even though some CMs say you can. I was told CMs says yes to avoid confrontation. The ones that are left, are thrown into the laundry with the rest of the linens, and re-used. Guess where the cost is recovered when they have to be replaced? See increased room rates/maintenance fees... Just leave the towels... they unravel after a few days at home (if they survive the suitcase) and then are probably thrown out anyway.

Finally!!!

Finally!!!

So multiple CM's say it's OK to take them and they are lying to keep guests happy.

One person says ONE CM said you can't and we've "Finally" reached the truth?

I've never gotten one of these (just the mickey ears upon arrival)!! I've clearly been missing out!:sad:

Me neither. I've always heard of people getting them. I think we might have gotten a little bunny made from a washcloth once, but that was in our room when we arrived and it looked pretty beat up. We've had 5 stays at mods and one at POP and have only gotten the Mickey upon arrival. Are the towel animals really that common?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter