Hate kids but love Disney

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingAlice

Mouseketeer
I’m probably going to get a bunch of hate/rude comments for this, but just stating my honest opinion. I can’t stand children. Never liked them. Never liked playing with baby dolls when I was a little girl. I grew up an only child so most of my socializing was spent with adults. I’m almost 30 and do not plan on having kids anytime soon...if at all. Kids are messy, loud, rude, anxiety-ridden, and just plain annoying. Maybe it’s just the selfishness in me. BUT, I am and have always been a total kid at heart, especially when it comes to Disney! My best friend is the same exact way. So if you see two grumpy young adults cringing at the screams of children on the ship, that will be us! Lol. I am obviously willing to still sail on Disney cruises/go to Disney world, but don’t expect me to be grinning at your messy kid. I was wondering if anyone felt the same way so I won’t feel like a complete outsider.

I’m probably going to get a bunch of hate/rude comments for this, but just stating my honest opinion. I can’t stand children

Not at all. The Earth needs more people like you. If we keep breeding at this rate, there will be nothing left to consume. One day, the very last wild animal will be killed, the last tree cut down, etc. It's very forward thinking of you to be honest with yourself and not feel the need to have children based on what society, family, friends, traditions, religious beliefs etc. expects of you. I wish there were more people like you. Now I'll see if I catch any hate/rude comments for stating my honest opinion as well.

Not at all. The Earth needs more people like you. If we keep breeding at this rate, there will be nothing left to consume. One day, the very last wild animal will be killed, the last tree cut down, etc. It's very forward thinking of you to be honest with yourself and not feel the need to have children based on what society, family, friends, traditions, religious beliefs etc. expects of you. I wish there were more people like you. Now I'll see if I catch any hate/rude comments for stating my honest opinion as well.

There's a gap about 712 miles wide between not feeling the "need to have children based on what society, family, friends, traditions, religious beliefs etc. expects of you" and stating that you "can't stand children".

I agree, never have liked kids, don't want to hold your baby or watch your toddler have a tantrum. I'm almost 50 and my life has been quite lovely and not miserable at all. We've been on 5 Disney Cruises and go to DLand quite often. You're not alone at all.

I guess we are part of those selfish adults who are ruining the park for all the families?

We have kids, who have kids, and I like to avoid them on ship. :) I don't feel that I am a terrible person just because I have a problem with children using outside voices when they're, basically, inside. We usually stop going to the dinners because it is so loud. We'll do the first and the last. If I was someone who stayed up later I'd take the late dinner seating but by then I'd be 3 sheets to the wind (actually that might be a dieting feature).

On Castaway Key we always catch a seat at the Family Beach because the kids are cute playing and not nearly as shrill when outside. There is a shuttle to the adult beach that leaves directly from the ship.

We usually stay aft and discovered to avoid the deck kid areas, from our cabin, we walk to mid-ship for elevators which puts us right before the adult area. DCL is very good about keeping the adult area for adults - we love it. My husband will go into the main pool area to enjoy the children/families and watch the outside movie when I'm in the spa or napping.

solo traveller , no kids, Disney Parks are my happy place. I have also booked my first Disney cruise. I booked a September European cruise partly due to a low percentage of children. I wont be doing Disney port excursions, will be DIY in my ports. I'm also looking forward to experiencing the ship on port days when most people will be off doing excursions.

Its ok to love Disney Parks and Disney Cruises and not be a child friendly person. Its the best of both worlds, you can experience Disney and you have the money to buy whatever food, merchandise , experiences you like. No one tells you no you cant have icecream for breakfast, or no you cant watch the fireworks, its bed time.

I don’t HATE kids, I have a 9 year old daughter myself. What I dislike are parents who let their kids run around like disrespectful little sh*ts and never discipline or correct them. THAT bothers me a great deal.

I don't hate kids, but we avoid them for the most part while on the cruise. We love Disney and the only part I dislike is when entitled parents fail to enforce a little structure with their kids. I realize you are on vacation, but so are we. I am not that old, but I grew up knowing that I was not allowed to screech in public and run up and down hallways and knock people over, for some reason these simple rules are lost on parents and kids today. So, no, you aren't alone, we love Disney and prefer to stay to the adult only areas. :)

I’m probably going to get a bunch of hate/rude comments for this, but just stating my honest opinion. I can’t stand children. Never liked them. Never liked playing with baby dolls when I was a little girl. I grew up an only child so most of my socializing was spent with adults. I’m almost 30 and do not plan on having kids anytime soon...if at all. Kids are messy, loud, rude, anxiety-ridden, and just plain annoying. Maybe it’s just the selfishness in me. BUT, I am and have always been a total kid at heart, especially when it comes to Disney! My best friend is the same exact way. So if you see two grumpy young adults cringing at the screams of children on the ship, that will be us! Lol. I am obviously willing to still sail on Disney cruises/go to Disney world, but don’t expect me to be grinning at your messy kid. I was wondering if anyone felt the same way so I won’t feel like a complete outsider.

I don't plan to have kids because I would feel too guilty if I couldn't protect them from the bad, the unfairness, and the trauma that is associated with being a human on the earth. It wouldn't be good for my mental health which means it wouldn't be a good for a child, and they are the ones that matter. They didn't ask to be put here, so unless I can protect them 100% I just couldn't live with myself. Nothing wrong with that - I'm doing them and the world a favor.

OAN, I'm 27, when are y'all cruising?

I feel the same way about adults travelling without children on Disney Cruises, they are always miserable, unkept, constantly getting drunk all hours of the night, cutting in line at character meets and stealing door magnets, this is not just a few bad apples, this is all of them.

Hate is a pretty strong emotion but I am not the hugest fan of other people's kids either. I have one and I'm a single mom - I put a lot of effort into raising him to be polite and respectful (especially difficult since he is on the spectrum and has a hard time with social cues) so I have very little patience for other people's kids... though I wouldn't say I HATE them - not even remotely close. Just sometimes I don't feel like dealing with/enduring other people's kids - whatever the reason for their annoying behavior is (and again as a mother of a child with special needs I am very aware of the many reasons kids could be acting up.) I'm not judging, I just don't want to deal with it sometimes and most often not on my very expensive vacation.

DCL has some great adult areas and I did not notice kids acting up on my Dream cruise even though everyone told me the kids would be awful. They actually weren't. So maybe I have more patience than I think I do.

Hate is a very active emotion that requires nurturing so if you truly hate kids, I encourage you to put the energy into something more positive. You don't have to love kids but hating them is a bit much.

We typically avoid children on DCL cruises. We have late dining, spend most of our time in the adult-only areas including at CC or lounges that don't appeal to children (or go after hours when they're not allowed), take adult-only excursions where they're offered, and go to the adult-only activities (cooking demos, alcohol tastings, some other offerings). Lots of the kids on board are in the clubs for most of the day so we have no problems at all having an adult cruise on DCL while still allowing ourselves to indulge our own inner child.

I love kids. Love them completely, I used to have a preschool class and they were great but I travel with the hubs and we don't have any of our own. I have a LOT of friends that aren't big on children and I get it, I mean kids have their own culture and their own way of doing things and communicating and not every adult is good with that. Parenting is a skillset, by definition skillsets range from person to person. I'm not comfortable bringing a kid into my life until I'm 100% ready to focus entirely on them the way my family didn't with me.

On a cruise though? I get you. I understand. There are parents that just stop caring, kids that push boundaries, and you're on a ship, an island that moves. There's limited options to get away. I dig alone time but I still brave the parks because I just love the attractions. There's nothing wrong with needing to get away from noise and people sometimes but I agree with most comments. Hate is a strong word to use against any group of people.

Thats a pretty short sided view of the world. You don’t have to want to hang with kids, but lumping every person on the planet under X age is pretty silly. I mean I dislike when anyone behaves badly- 2 or 32. Adults can be way worse than kids. Either way though I try not to be a rude jerk because that just makes you look bad.

I don’t think anyone really cares what your opinion of their kids is, you just aren’t that important. The same way the adults who wear tube tops and booty shorts into WDW don’t care about mine, so I keep it to myself and don’t turn my nose up at everyone and prejudge them based on one easily identifiable feature (age, clothing, ect).

I'm not comfortable bringing a kid into my life until I'm 100% ready to focus entirely on them the way my family didn't with me.
Just a thought, but life is such that you are never going to be able to focus entirely on your kids... nor should you. When they are babies they will occupy the large majority of your focus but even then, it is not healthy or desirable to focus entirely on your kids. It's not good for you and it's not good for your kids. Modeling balance and self care for your children is JUST as important as paying them enough attention. They should know they are loved, they should know that their needs are a priority and will be met to the greatest extent you can, but they should not feel they are the center of the world and the only thing in your life. I get that you feel that you did not have enough attention from your family but also be wary of setting unattainable and emotionally unhealthy goals for yourself as a parent.

I think you may be pleasantly surprised by how little grimacing you need to do. Except in places where there were big crowds and everyone was loud, I did not particularly notice kids screaming and running wild on either of my DCL cruises. (I do have a son, so I am not anti-kid, but as a big rule follower I do tend to notice bad behavior no matter the age of the culprit.)

Not sure of the purpose of the OP, but my hubby and have taken 5 DCL cruises to date and have found that the kids on board the ships add to the Magical atmosphere, we enjoy living vicariously through them at their excitement, jubilation and sheer joy seeing them interact with the characters, or participate in activities, we've made many friends with families on the cruises and sharing their fun is one of the reasons we love taking the cruises so much! Not having kids on a cruise would lack so many things and we just wouldn't have as much fun as we do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter