Have you gotten a COVID vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DD21 got her second Moderna on Thursday, June 3. She came in from NY, where she is staying for the summer, just for the shot. I warned her it might not be as breezy as her first, where she had nothing other than a sore arm.

Shot at 2pm. Got hit with severe chills, pounding headache, body aches that night. Also developed a fever at one point. She didn't keep track of the time but sick all night long. Spent the next day in bed, and gave her Advil 24 hours after shot. Headache went away but she did get up and eat a little. Pushed the fluids. Gave her some more Advil before bed and she woke up feeling much better, fever broke during the night, so a good 30 hours of side effects.

She was very happy that she didn't end up nauseous or vomiting, which was her main concern. Headed back to NY Sunday.

I go next week for my second shot and hoping for an easier time, but would also be glad to pass on the stomach issues as well. I also scheduled it for the weekend, just in case.

I'm in Ireland and I got my first dose on Wednesday 9th June, Pfizer. No reactions, only a slight ache in my arm, which was only noticeable when I went to bed and lay on my side. I was asked which was my dominant side and she gave it to me in my non dominant arm.

Registration for appointments is done on a strict age group basis through a website. I can log in and see my vaccination status. Right now it says first dose received, awaiting second dose appointment.

At the vaccination centre in a convention centre, I had to show my text message appointment, my Government issued photo ID , my SSN, and confirm my date of birth and phone number.

I'm in Ireland and I got my first dose on Wednesday 9th June, Pfizer. No reactions, only a slight ache in my arm, which was only noticeable when I went to bed and lay on my side. I was asked which was my dominant side and she gave it to me in my non dominant arm.

Registration for appointments is done on a strict age group basis through a website. I can log in and see my vaccination status. Right now it says first dose received, awaiting second dose appointment.

At the vaccination centre in a convention centre, I had to show my text message appointment, my Government issued photo ID , my SSN, and confirm my date of birth and phone number.

Thank you for sharing. I like seeing how each state in the US or other countries differs in the process of getting one of the vaccines. Did you make your second appointment while at your first? I am afraid of needles so felt that one of the mass vaccination sites would have been too overwhelming and not sure if someone from the National Guard was giving it or not and decided to go to a vaccine clinic at one of the local hospitals where they have current or retired nurses and was such a great experience. I believe from arrival to the time I left after waiting the 15 minutes after about a half hour both times. At the large sites it can take a while. I did not feel the needle either time. I did not have to show an appointment confirmation or driver’s license or SS card at all the person at the first desk took my temperature and just asked for my name and appointment time. When I went for the second dose I had to show my vaccine card. At the second desk for the first time I was given a small packet talking about the Pfizer vaccine and possible side effects and had to fill out a sheet checking if I have certain health issues or allergies. The second time at that second desk had to show my vaccine card and fill that sheet out again. They are winding this site down so not as many stations as last time. When you wait afterwards if the first time you go to a desk where someone makes your second appointment and both times they offered tootsie pops and water and other snacks if you need it and someone tells you what time you can leave and announces when that time has elapsed and you are free to go. They definitely do not offer the snacks at the big sites or tell you when you can leave just say stay 15 min and it is up to you to keep track and you make the second appointment on your phone while waiting to leave. My DH went to one of those as he was in a much earlier group of people who have health issues. I was in the next to last group for all adults and right now the last group is 12-17. So many more places like pharmacies and doctor’s offices are offering before it was like winning the lottery if you could get an appointment. Yesterday most of the people there I would say were 12 or 13 with a parent. There was one other adult.

Thank you for sharing. I like seeing how each state in the US or other countries differs in the process of getting one of the vaccines. Did you make your second appointment while at your first? I am afraid of needles so felt that one of the mass vaccination sites would have been too overwhelming and not sure if someone from the National Guard was giving it or not and decided to go to a vaccine clinic at one of the local hospitals where they have current or retired nurses and was such a great experience. I believe from arrival to the time I left after waiting the 15 minutes after about a half hour both times. At the large sites it can take a while. I did not feel the needle either time. I did not have to show an appointment confirmation or driver’s license or SS card at all the person at the first desk took my temperature and just asked for my name and appointment time. When I went for the second dose I had to show my vaccine card. At the second desk for the first time I was given a small packet talking about the Pfizer vaccine and possible side effects and had to fill out a sheet checking if I have certain health issues or allergies. The second time at that second desk had to show my vaccine card and fill that sheet out again. They are winding this site down so not as many stations as last time. When you wait afterwards if the first time you go to a desk where someone makes your second appointment and both times they offered tootsie pops and water and other snacks if you need it and someone tells you what time you can leave and announces when that time has elapsed and you are free to go. They definitely do not offer the snacks at the big sites or tell you when you can leave just say stay 15 min and it is up to you to keep track and you make the second appointment on your phone while waiting to leave. My DH went to one of those as he was in a much earlier group of people who have health issues. I was in the next to last group for all adults and right now the last group is 12-17. So many more places like pharmacies and doctor’s offices are offering before it was like winning the lottery if you could get an appointment. Yesterday most of the people there I would say were 12 or 13 with a parent. There was one other adult.

No, I will get a text message appointment for my second dose. When I registered on the website, I just entered my details, and then they sent the appointment by text message. On the website it said to expect an appointment within the next 3 weeks and it was 15 days after registering that I got an appointment. After my first dose I was told to expect a text message within 28 days for my second dose.

The Irish army are running the large vaccination centres and other than the actual vaccinators who are healthcare professionals, all the other staff are volunteers. As you would expect with the army in charge, its all very efficient. The vaccinator writes the time on the vaccine card, then you go to the waiting area where they write down your name and time. After the 15 minutes they come back and check that you are ok and tell you about the side affects. At the moment people aged 40 and older are being vaccinated. Registration for people aged 35 to 40 will start next week.

At the moment there are only two ways to get the vaccine
  1. At a vaccination centre like I did
  2. At a GP.

The GP appointments are only for people with major health issues and they are a separate list. The GP appointments are not going by age but by how serious your health issues are. Two of my cousins, both under 30 got a GP vaccine due to their health issues.

Both ways you don't have a choice. You either wait for your age group to be eligible on the website registration system, or you will get a call from your GP.

There are plans for pharmacies to start giving the vaccines but that will be the J & J and it will be for homeless people and people who may not be able to go to a vaccination centre.

Last edited:
Fully vaccinated. Second shot today! On a day that it was announced that fully vaccinated Canadians/Residents will no longer have to quarantine upon return.

Pfizer.

Superb clinic again. Walked through I was five to seven minutes tops getting needle in arm,
I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs (while daydreaming about a vacation :laughing:) because I had need of a tetanus shot unexpectedly the other night and they advised waiting 21 days before getting my next Covid vaccine. Not that I'd be rushing right out anyway; I took AZ back in mid-April (as did almost 200,000 Albertans) and the recommended interval after the first is 12 weeks for full immunity. But with no supply of AZ for 2nd doses, what to do next is a bit of a sticky wicket. Anyone wanting to mix-and-match is eligible after 8 weeks.
Here, no. Everyone is responsible for tracking their eligibility for second doses and making their own arrangements when the time comes. All forms of media regularly broadcast reminders and wherever you got your shot (there are many different sources - mass vaccination centres, pharmacies, doctor's offices, pop-up clinics, mobile clinics at workplaces and so forth) theoretically will send a text/robo-call when your eligibility date arrives.

I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs (while daydreaming about a vacation :laughing:) because I had need of a tetanus shot unexpectedly the other night and they advised waiting 21 days before getting my next Covid vaccine. Not that I'd be rushing right out anyway; I took AZ back in mid-April (as did almost 200,000 Albertans) and the recommended interval after the first is 12 weeks for full immunity. But with no supply of AZ for 2nd doses, what to do next is a bit of a sticky wicket. Anyone wanting to mix-and-match is eligible after 8 weeks.
Well here in Ontario we can’t get our second shot after Astra Zeneca if we want a different one until 12 weeks still while all other provinces except for Nova Scotia are doing what your doing. People are mad too because everyone is going ahead of us for there second shot. I have to wait until July 13th for my second shot unless they change it and even than they are not letting us make an appointment for that date either. So it will be longer.

Well here in Ontario we can’t get our second shot after Astra Zeneca if we want a different one until 12 weeks still while all other provinces except for Nova Scotia are doing what your doing. People are mad too because everyone is going ahead of us for there second shot. I have to wait until July 13th for my second shot unless they change it and even than they are not letting us make an appointment for that date either. So it will be longer.
My official 12 weeks will be up on July 19 and I would certainly take AZ if I could get it but there's no word on any more being available. Back in April when the AZ supplied from the US stockpile came in, Alberta did a HUGE blitz and used almost all of it for first doses within 2 weeks.

Are you going to be able to access AZ for your second dose or do you have to get something else? That prospect just doesn't thrill me.

DS14 had his 2nd Pfizer shot on Thursday -- just like me after my 2nd Moderna, he ran a low-grade fever the next day and was a little achy -- he's back to 100% today (he had no side effects after his 1st). DS18 had no side effects with either Pfizer vaccine and DH had some minor side effects (less than me) with his 2nd Moderna. The whole family is now fully vaccinated. :)

sitting here twiddling my thumbs (while daydreaming about a vacation :laughing:) because I had need of a tetanus shot unexpectedly the other night and they advised waiting 21 days before getting my next Covid vaccine. Not that I'd be rushing right out anyway; I took AZ back in mid-April (as did almost 200,000 Albertans) and the recommended interval after the first is 12 weeks for full immunity. But with no supply of AZ for 2nd doses, what to do next is a bit of a sticky wicket. Anyone wanting to mix-and-match is eligible after 8 weeks.

Tough decision.

Here family members gave up on it (they were already at 12 weeks) and booked Moderna.

Here, no. Everyone is responsible for tracking their eligibility for second doses and making their own arrangements when the time comes. All forms of media regularly broadcast reminders and wherever you got your shot (there are many different sources - mass vaccination centres, pharmacies, doctor's offices, pop-up clinics, mobile clinics at workplaces and so forth) theoretically will send a text/robo-call when your eligibility date arrives.
In Ontario, in many of the vaccine environments but not all (pharmacies were different), we got our second dose appointment immediately with our first. Mine was originally the 4th of August for a April 14th shot.

We can keep that or go back in for an accelerated second dose. No contest for me, played it like the slots.

Had 2nd dose of Pfizer on Thursday. Low grade fever and felt fatigued yesterday. Tylenol helped the fever, but just generally felt "off".
Feeling back to normal today. :)

Disneylover, did your parents fully recover? I have been meaning to ask as you have been in my thoughts. Hope so!

Frustrating. Hope they make the change. Seems he has been the lone wolf on many aspects.

My official 12 weeks will be up on July 19 and I would certainly take AZ if I could get it but there's no word on any more being available. Back in April when the AZ supplied from the US stockpile came in, Alberta did a HUGE blitz and used almost all of it for first doses within 2 weeks.

Are you going to be able to access AZ for your second dose or do you have to get something else? That prospect just doesn't thrill me.

No we have a choice but you still have wait 12 weeks. They just telling us more is coming at the end of June. They said that we have 89% of our vaccines left I’m guessing that includes That one too.

In my province we booked our first vaccine appointment online (I think you could call as well) and got our second appointment immediately.

Got my second, and done, shot yesterday. Moderna. Reported up thread my 21 yr old DD had a really rough time of it after her second, so I was a little concerned I might have the same problems.

I'm always tired by Friday and woke up with a pounding headache as well. :crazy2: DD reported a pounding headache after the shot, so I was a little concerned. Had the shot at 1pm, and other then the sore arm, I felt fine. Even my headache went away. I did make sure to hydrate a lot before the shot and afterwards, so that may have helped; can't imagine the vaccine cured the headache.

Either way, glad to be done, and unless side effects show up late, I just have a slightly sore arm, actually feels better today than last night. I know there were a number of threads here in the beginning where some experienced delayed effects, but too much trouble to look for them. So I am considering myself free and clear.

I will say, though Covid threads have been shut down here, this site was invaluable as a resource. I found far more useful information here than searching the web; personally, that always turns into a time suck more than anything. So kudos to all those contributing their experiences, much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter