Have you gotten a COVID vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my first Moderna shot today. Heard about the sore arm being worse than the flu shot, but I haven't been feeling it yet. They made me wait nearby for fifteen minutes to monitor me.

All frontliners at the hospital were vaccinated before New Years, so now it's anyone and everyone.

I will say that over an hour after the shot, had a sudden runny nose, and a feeling like allergies were coming on. (I've had no cold or allergy symptoms all 2020 year long) Was fine about an hour later.

Just an update to CA (per Newsom)
1.29 million doses already delivered
600,000 more to arrive this week
450,000 administered. Still in 1A. 1B & 1C guidelines to be updated Wed.

https://abc7news.com/health/newsom-explains-why-vaccine-rollout-is-slow-going-/9347201/

uuurrrgggggg I'm rolling my daughter down the street so she can get a vaccine with the homeless people since they get it before her. I hate CA. She is paralyzed with diabetes and high blood pressure from the heart surgery. yet she is below the homeless and prisoners. I'm suppose to be with the health care workers and have no idea since I'm "employed" by the county as a health worker for my daughter. Kaiser is giving the vaccines to their Marriage, family therapists even though they have been working from home since March and not going into the office. My doctor hasn't even gotten it yet but she did.

Homeless people often times sleep in shelters. In close quarters. In the streets they hang out in large groups (tent cities, soup kitchens). We had huge outbreaks in the homeless community here, especially in the homeless shelters. My aunt works at a homeless shelter and was recently on the news discussing how bad it is. Yes they should be very high on the list for the vaccine.

It’s really coming across that some people think they’re better than “those people.” I’ve seen it numerous times on these boards regarding certain classes of people.

IMO there is no wrong or right way to vaccinate the population. Like I said before, no matter how they go about it someone’s going to be pissed off.

Homeless people often times sleep in shelters. In close quarters. In the streets they hang out in large groups (tent cities, soup kitchens). We had huge outbreaks in the homeless community here, especially in the homeless shelters. My aunt works at a homeless shelter and was recently on the news discussing how bad it is. Yes they should be very high on the list for the vaccine.

It’s really coming across that some people think they’re better than “those people.” I’ve seen it numerous times on these boards regarding certain classes of people.

IMO there is no wrong or right way to vaccinate the population. Like I said before, no matter how they go about it someone’s going to be pissed off.

Yes, I don’t understand the idea that some populations are unworthy of vaccination. Those in crowded conditions are at great risk and our health care system is seriously overwhelmed. When speaking of homeless, as you said, they often live crowded. I will add that they are also a group who do not receive healthcare and only end up in a hospital in crisis. At which time treatment is very difficult due to overall ill health and untreated unknown underlying conditions.

We need this vaccine for everyone.

Yes, I don’t understand the idea that some populations are unworthy of vaccination. Those in crowded conditions are at great risk and our health care system is seriously overwhelmed. When speaking of homeless, as you said, they often live crowded. I will add that they are also a group who do not receive healthcare and only end up in a hospital in crisis. At which time treatment is very difficult due to overall ill health and untreated unknown underlying conditions.

This is where good discussions go bad. Nobody is saying that. At all. There is some disagreement about what the order should be, but taking that as "some populations are unworthy" is just disingenuous and inflammatory.

Do you think anyone disagrees with that?

Yup. They also have nowhere to go upon discharge. No one that’s admitted due to covid gets discharged and ready to go back to normalcy, especially the normalcy of being homeless. So they may end up staying much longer than needed which is taking up a bed.

It comes across as “I’m more important than those peasants.”

This is where good discussions go bad. Nobody is saying that. At all. There is some disagreement about what the order should be, but taking that as "some populations are unworthy" is just disingenuous and inflammatory.

No one has said it outright but the tone of some posts absolutely implies it.

Reading tone on a discussion board is hard. I prefer not to assume the worst of people.

I agree. Which is why I found it necessary to address how the tone of some messages were beginning to slide from frustration over a slow rollout of vaccines to comments that could be read as "some are unworthy" of priority.

Hopefully we can get back to reporting personal experiences of vaccination.

To me it came across as a very frustrated and scared parent who is desperate to get their rather ill daughter the vaccine.

It’s not only that post I was referencing with the peasant comment. There’s been others on here and other places.

It’s not only that post I was referencing with the peasant comment. There’s been others on here and other places.

the outrage that 20 something hospital IT workers are getting the vaccine before elderly people was one that comes to mind.. Every one is stressed and and sometimes people only see their own situation and don't realize the bigger picture and why decisions about the priority groups are being made. In a situation like this, the wider society needs have to come before the individual needs, but some people do not have that mindset.

the outrage that 20 something hospital IT workers are getting the vaccine before elderly people was one that comes to mind.. Every one is stressed and and sometimes people only see their own situation and don't realize the bigger picture and why decisions about the priority groups are being made. In a situation like this, the wider society needs have to come before the individual needs, but some people do not have that mindset.
There is no "absolute" right way of handling things. It doesn't mean people can't see the big picture. There's a compelling case to be made for vaccinating older people first based on the fact that they are most vulnerable. It's the quickest way to drop the death rate. And the need for ICU beds.

I was reading an article last night about Indonesia. They are vaccinating their working force first and the ages given were 18-59. In the article they mentioned they weren't 'bucking the trend' (speaking towards the U.S. and others who are concentrating on elderly first) but that in their country there wasn't enough vaccine data on the efficacy of the vaccine on the elderly; for context their vaccine being used is from China (Sinovac).

Discussed in the article was
  • "I don’t think anybody can get too dogmatic about what is the right approach,” said Peter Collignon, professor of infectious diseases at Australian National University, adding that Indonesia’s strategy could slow the spread of the disease, although it may not affect mortality rates.
  • Indonesia doing it different to the U.S. and Europe is of value, because it will tell us (whether) you’ll see a more dramatic effect in Indonesia than Europe or U.S. because of the strategy they’re doing, but I don’t think anybody knows the answer.
  • Professor Dale Fisher from the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine at the National University of Singapore said he understood the rationale of Indonesia’s approach. Younger working adults are generally more active, more social and travel more so this strategy should decrease community transmission faster than vaccinating older individuals,” he said."

It has been discussed on on other threads regarding would it be better to get those who are most exposed to the most people in the communities first but as I mentioned earlier on these are strategies here. It's also one of the biggest reasons I think allowing each state to have their own control over the order can be the "less of the two evils" (evils being that there will always be dissatisfaction over the order by someone). The article mentioned about homeless people, CA has a lot of homeless people, they also have had over 41K cases of COVID throughout their corrections and rehab centers. A lot of people have this image of homeless people same as those in corrections.

There isn't a known "right" way to do it and the "right" way in the end may simply be only relevant to a very specific place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter