Hawaii 2020

Ah, I was thinking the response was to the most recent poster, regarding the prices for upcoming cruise. Sorry.

Without a quote of the post they are referring to, it is very ambiguous which post they were answering, but I would have assumed the most recent one about opening day pricing.

Does anyone know if you change your room to a different location, does that affect whatever promo you originally had? I can't remember the promo, but it ended in February of this year. I saw my reservation number stayed the same, but the original date changed to the date I booked the new room.

Does anyone know if you change your room to a different location, does that affect whatever promo you originally had? I can't remember the promo, but it ended in February of this year. I saw my reservation number stayed the same, but the original date changed to the date I booked the new room.
You can change your room as much as you want and the price will be the same as the day you booked.

You can change your room as much as you want and the price will be the same as the day you booked.

Interesting. I originally booked GTY, got my room assignment and paid in full. When I tried to switch to an available GTY category today I was told no, price will reflect the current rates and not the rates from the day I booked. I even asked my TA to speak with a supervisor because I was sure this DCL rep was wrong but got the same answer. And since prices have increased quite a bit I declined. I wonder if there’s been a policy change, or if it has something to do with GTY or being paid in full?

Last edited:
Interesting. I originally booked GTY, got my room assignment and paid in full. When I tried to switch to an available GTY category today I was told no, price will reflect the current rates and not the rates from the day I booked. I even asked my TA to speak with a supervisor because I was sure this DCL rep was wrong but got the same answer. And since prices have increased quite a bit I declined. I wonder if there’s been a policy change, or if it has something to do with GTY or being paid in full?
I would call again. If your TA has to call then make it a 3 way call. The gty that you have is not restricted and paying in full at this point is irrelevant. If there was a big policy change like that, it would be all over social media.

Is there a policy anywhere posted that if you change rooms that the price won't change?? Or is it because I went gty inside to a deluxe with verandah I have to pay the upcharge difference?

Is there a policy anywhere posted that if you change rooms that the price won't change?? Or is it because I went gty inside to a deluxe with verandah I have to pay the upcharge difference?
You have to pay the difference from the lower category to the higher category, but the prices of those two should be the prices they were when you made the original booking.

For example, 6 months ago you booked an 11A for $800. At the time a 4A was going for $1800. But, today the 4A is $2500. You pay the difference between the original $800 and $1800.

I'd suggest your TA give DCL another call and get a better clarification on this. It's always been that, if you change categories ON THE SAME CRUISE, you are locked into the prices at the time you made the original booking. The only other thing I could think of is, if you add additional people to the booking at the time of the upgrade. The new people on the reservation will pay today's price for the room, not the original price.

I, also, doubt that such a major change in policy would slip by unnoticed, and would be reported here immediately.

You have to pay the difference from the lower category to the higher category, but the prices of those two should be the prices they were when you made the original booking.

For example, 6 months ago you booked an 11A for $800. At the time a 4A was going for $1800. But, today the 4A is $2500. You pay the difference between the original $800 and $1800.

I'd suggest your TA give DCL another call and get a better clarification on this. It's always been that, if you change categories ON THE SAME CRUISE, you are locked into the prices at the time you made the original booking. The only other thing I could think of is, if you add additional people to the booking at the time of the upgrade. The new people on the reservation will pay today's price for the room, not the original price.

I, also, doubt that such a major change in policy would slip by unnoticed, and would be reported here immediately.

Thanks for clarifying. I don't have a TA, so I'm gonna have to call them up personally tomorrow. I guess that makes sense that I don't pay the full amount that I'm seeing online if I don't sign in. I noticed that when I didn't sign in when I was searching for rooms that it would have been over 9k for 5B for 3 people. But then when I logged in and changed rooms I saw that the price did go down. I guess that's the difference in locked prices when I made the original booking. Sadly when I logged in to change my room rates, I didn't take a screenshot of my previous room rates to take a look at how much the difference it was.

Hoping that when I call them tomorrow I can get them to tell me what my previous room rates were. Either way I knew I had to change my room sooner or later because having an inside room without split baths with 3 adults isn't going to be fun.

5B 10/4/2018 $3,691////4/30/2019 $4,114
11C 10/4/2018 $2,296///4/29/2019 $2,539

So just to clarify for 5b for two people on 10/4/18 on the 9 night cruise would that have totaled to $7,382 without taxes or fees factored into that amount or the $3,691 without taxes or fees?

I think what may be happening here is people who booked Inside GTYs to Hawaii did it when there WERE no available Verandah cabins and therefore no rates to lock in. DCL is not going to take them back to opening day rates when they become available, they will have new rates based on demand. But since there was no price to lock in on your booking day, they have nothing but the new rates to put them at.

I think what may be happening here is people who booked Inside GTYs to Hawaii did it when there WERE no available Verandah cabins and therefore no rates to lock in. DCL is not going to take them back to opening day rates when they become available, they will have new rates based on demand. But since there was no price to lock in on your booking day, they have nothing but the new rates to put them at.

This doesn't make sense. If they made a booking, they had a category and a rate - they just didn't have a cabin assignment (these were not IGT restricted fares where there is no category). So yes, they would be locked into whatever price tier it was when they made the booking (may not have been opening day rates but still more likely than not less than current rates.) So now if they can upgrade to a Verandah, it would be for the price level on the day they booked and the difference in price from the category they booked and the verandah level they are looking to upgrade to.

For those that weren't able to make a booking because there was no availability, then yes, they are subject to the pricing on the day they are able to make a booking.

This doesn't make sense. If they made a booking, they had a category and a rate - they just didn't have a cabin assignment (these were not IGT restricted fares where there is no category). So yes, they would be locked into whatever price tier it was when they made the booking (may not have been opening day rates but still more likely than not less than current rates.) So now if they can upgrade to a Verandah, it would be for the price level on the day they booked and the difference in price from the category they booked and the verandah level they are looking to upgrade to.

For those that weren't able to make a booking because there was no availability, then yes, they are subject to the pricing on the day they are able to make a booking.

Yes, they have the category and rate for an Interior GTY. There WAS no availability for Ocean View or Verandah, so there was NO rate for those categories - if they were sold out, there was no way to see the rate because there was no rate. No cabin = no rate.

The only thing they could potentially do is lock whatever the rate was when they sold out - which would still be higher than opening moment prices because prices increased even as people were on the phones booking. But they would not have to do that.

Yes, I called and spoke with DCL, the rate that I just upgraded to verandah, is the rate that I would have initially paid if it was available on the date that I booked my reservation. They do lock in and can see the rate categories of different room categories on the day you booked. She said that the verandah price I am paying for right now is at a lower price compared to what is showing online for room availability right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter