Headscratching Comments from Others

And if you have the time to notice, then you need to plan better because you have too much free time in your itinerary!

there's never a tag fairy around when you need one.....

Fanny packs- acceptable when hands are not free (bike riding and horseback riding)

Water shoes- acceptable in any water related situation, especially water parks...ever seen some kid randomly using the walkways of a waterpark as their toilet? I have.

Sandals with socks- Never acceptable...unless you're a male co-ed who has just gotten up and is ambling off to afternoon classes in January...and even then you're a weirdo.

Mullets- No...just no

Sundresses- In the parks...I suppose they're fine, if you like that sort of thing...I try to avoid skirts at all times when a fancy dinner is not involved...but for a football game?!....how do you play frisbee or football or even bocce while tailgaiting in a dress?...how do you stand on the seat and jump up and down to cheer your team?

Jean shorts- How do you survive summer without jean shorts? I'm sorry, but I have at least 5 pairs of jean shorts in various shades and colors. They make up almost my entire summer wardrobe.

Sundresses- In the parks...I suppose they're fine, if you like that sort of thing...I try to avoid skirts at all times when a fancy dinner is not involved...but for a football game?!....how do you play frisbee or football or even bocce while tailgaiting in a dress?...how do you stand on the seat and jump up and down to cheer your team?

Ladies don't play football at tailgate parties. And jumping up and down does not cause one to be immodest in a dress. Unless of course you're doing somersaults mid-air, I suppose.

Ladies don't play football at tailgate parties. And jumping up and down does not cause one to be immodest in a dress. Unless of course you're doing somersaults mid-air, I suppose.

Ouch.

Guess I'm not a lady then. Just a fan.

Its a regional thing and a generational thing. Being a person from the younger generation and the Southeast I can tell you. There are a few things that people around here in the 18-30 year old demographic are not going to let you get away with. Among the list are:

Water Shoes
Fanny Packs
Mullets
and Blue Jean Shorts

I know most of you will read that and completely disagree that any one item belongs in there with the infamouse mullet, and the vast majority will disagree with blue jean shorts. . . but trust me that's just how it is.

That being said. Even the majority of teenagers would be polite enough to not make snide and embarassing comments directly to someone.

I am 27 and from Cali but live in Atlanta....my DH is 29 from Atlanta...

never heard of anyone with a problem with water shoes in a WATER park or at the beach :confused3

mullets...yea, I know those are not hip

fanny packs...yea, I know those are not hip either, but I am mature enough to know that they can be necessary in an amusement park...you only have to lose your purse once or have it stolen to know that...

blue jean shorts...***?...I go to Georgia State Unive.....there are always TONS of young men wearing denim shorts (huge, baggy ones...very famous brands often)...I think it is more about the fit and the fact that there should not be an elastic waistband, for instance...and obvoiusly cutoffs are a fashion don't

Some ladies DO play football at tailgate parties...do you think we just go to dole out food?:lmao:;)

I am 27 and from Cali but live in Atlanta....my DH is 29 from Atlanta...

never heard of anyone with a problem with water shoes in a WATER park or at the beach :confused3

mullets...yea, I know those are not hip

fanny packs...yea, I know those are not hip either, but I am mature enough to know that they can be necessary in an amusement park...you only have to lose your purse once or have it stolen to know that...

blue jean shorts...***?...I go to Georgia State Unive.....there are always TONS of young men wearing denim shorts (huge, baggy ones...very famous brands often)...I think it is more about the fit and the fact that there should not be an elastic waistband, for instance...and obvoiusly cutoffs are a fashion don't
The only pants that should have an elastic waistband are workout pants and maternity pants...makes me think of that SNL skit "Mom Jeans".:rotfl:

Well that's your opinion and don't you remember what we learned in Bambi? If you don't have anything nice to say...

Yeah, really. According to this person real ladies wear sundresses at all costs and pink on a redhead is a no-no. I think the baby is adorable and redheads should be able to wear any color they want.

Maybe they were hurt by all the mullet hate.;)

Hi

Going back to the orginal point in this post.

I am your typical red hed i.e red hair freckles and VERY PALE skin. When walking around water parks etc I have often heard people say "gosh she is the whitest person I have ever seen!!" Etc and pointing at me, now correct me if I am wrong but would you ever say that about a person of colour etc.:eek:

I do not tan nor do I look good in the so called fake bakes but those sort of comments really bug me.
Aww, don't feel bad.:hug: I am very light skinned. I don't tan because hello, it's a one way ticket to Melanomaville. Tanning beds are even worse because your getting an even higher dose of UV.

I may be pale, but get compliments on my skin all the time. I'm 37 and people at work think I'm in my twenties. I even got carded at WDW last year!:thumbsup2

All those people making fun of you for not tanning will look like an old leather shoe someday, if they don't already.

Aww, don't feel bad.:hug: I am very light skinned. I don't tan because hello, it's a one way ticket to Melanomaville. Tanning beds are even worse because your getting an even higher dose of UV.

I may be pale, but get compliments on my skin all the time. I'm 37 and people at work think I'm in my twenties. I even got carded at WDW last year!:thumbsup2

All those people making fun of you for not tanning will look like an old leather shoe someday, if they don't already.

Its cool I can laugh it off now. So you and I will be the ones slapping on the factor 50+ :laughing:

Um ... how to put this? I think perhaps that SEC football tailgate parties are something a tad different than what you are used to.

First off, we don't play games. There is no room to play games. The spaces in the tailgating areas are very carefully marked off, and every space is spoken for and filled. The only open areas are the walkways between the rows of spaces/tents. We do, however, WATCH games -- other college football games, so as to keep up with where our team will be in the standings by the end of the day. It isn't unheard of for these games to be watched in an air-conditioned tent on a 42" television with a very nice sectional sofa in front of it.

Vehicle tailgates are normally only used as a serving table, if they are used at all, because you can't set up full tents in the parking lots. (The Grove at Ole Miss completely bans vehicles; you have to schlep all your equipment in by handcart.) Tailgate parties for us are normally all about the food and drink and socializing. You might say that a fancy dinner *is* involved, you just normally would eat it standing up. There is LOTS of food, usually in several courses, plus a keg of beer and a blender or two continually serving up pitchers of mixed drinks. Many people have their tailgate parties catered, sometimes even with waiters.

At the stadiums I have been to, it has never been difficult to cheer in a dress and heels. People don't normally stand on the seats unless the entire section does so, though they do often spend the entire game on their feet. Besides, in many stadiums, attempting to stand on an upper-deck seat while intoxicated might lead to death -- you wouldn't want to risk slipping and taking a fall. The upper decks of Tiger Stadium at LSU are so steeply pitched that the backs of each seat row sit about 2 inches below the floor space of the row behind -- miss that jump and you could roll down a LONG way. (I saw someone do it once -- he fell about 60 feet before he came to a stop, and EMS took him out strapped to a backboard.) Considering how soused the crowd usually is, it just wouldn't be a great idea. (Note that at Tiger Stadium, at least, you have to do all your serious drinking before the game starts; alcohol is not sold in or openly allowed in the general stands, only the club boxes. People do sneak in stashes, of course, in all kinds of creative ways.)

(Sorry for the digression -- now back to our regularly scheduled Disney discussion.)

My parents cook lobster for their tailgate parties and carry a silver candlestick with team color appropriate candles for their table setting. Mimosas are a staple. I do recognize the "posh socializing" aspect of tailgaiting. However, I suppose there is something to be said for having the wide open space of two university golf courses for tailgating space right next to our stadium, in addition to the stadium parking, local public school parking, and every lawn and driveway in a 10 block radius. Room could certainly be a concern that would cut down on tailgate antics. I guess I just assumed that if we do it with over 100,000 fans every fall weekend that others would not have any problems with slightly smaller crowds.

I guess snow and below freezing temperatures aren't a consideration for SEC teams either. I suddenly tried to imagine myself in a sundress for the infamous "Icebowl" of my youth. Ack.

Well, it differs from school to school, but most places just don't have a lot of open space once the vehicles are accomodated. At LSU you won't see tailgaters on off-campus lawns because that would be too far from the stadium; the walk to the game would be at least two miles in the heat. They won't let you set up inside the golf courses, the baseball stadium down the street, or the pastures belonging to the Vet School, either. Tents get pitched all over the 600 acre campus, but yes, the crowd is usually over 100K, and they just take up a lot of space.

What I don't get is when people where high heeled shoes/boots/whatever that they can't even walk in to begin with, at parks. It's just a head scratcher. Of course I don't say anything, but my husband and I always give each other that look. When we were at sea world about two years back, there was a woman, walking around in shorts and a tank top, wearing high heels! Huh??

I know what you mean...I get looks and questions all the time...

...and how foolish for people to mock what they don't understand...I LOVE my water shoes. They're ugly (kinda like platypus feet), but I don't have sore, scraped up feet after a day at the water park.

I don't go to the waterparks so I don't wear watershoes but I try to convince my sons to wear them for that very reason. But they refuse, oh well!

I also see people snickering over my Mickey shirts & Crocs (which I admittedly wear in my "regular" life away from the parks).
We would probably look like twins :lmao:

I see idiots wearing heeled sandals and sundresses in the parks, but do I make snide comments? Heck, no! To each his/her own!

I say, "Water-shoe-wearing, fanny-pack-sporting, Croc-loving, Disney lovers UNITE!" :thumbsup2

When I go to WDW, I dress for comfort - not to be cute.

LOL.

When I think men wearing denim shorts I picture an old guy with giant white socks pulled up, white orthopedic shoes, denim shorts to his knees, sleeveless shirt (which is another no-no in my book. Unless said guy is muscular.), and a red "Veteran" hat sitting upon his head like a truck driver.

Good times.... good times.. :) :rolleyes:

I think it was my mum that told me when I was very young that people with natural red hair are special and that we should be proud of who we are. I am proud to be a red head.

And I wear pink but I try not to when I have sun burn or else I look like an over done lobster :rotfl2:

On another note both DH and I are scottish and have been asked on a number of occasions if we know so and so from Edinburgh/Glasgow etc we live in Aberdeen about two/three hours from there so no we don't know your uncle/aunt/cousin and no we do not go around in kilts saying OCH AYE THE NOO!! :rotfl2: Plus many many many more.

:laughing::laughing: My family gets that a lot as well

What I don't get is when people where high heeled shoes/boots/whatever that they can't even walk in to begin with, at parks. It's just a head scratcher. Of course I don't say anything, but my husband and I always give each other that look. When we were at sea world about two years back, there was a woman, walking around in shorts and a tank top, wearing high heels! Huh??

Some people are high-heel cripples; their Achilles tendons have shortened up from too many years of wearing high heels. When this happens to you, you pretty much have no choice but to wear them if you're going to be on your feet for any length of time, because flats stretch the tendon very painfully.

Yeah, really. According to this person real ladies wear sundresses at all costs and pink on a redhead is a no-no. I think the baby is adorable and redheads should be able to wear any color they want.

Maybe they were hurt by all the mullet hate.;)

I don't recall expressing the idea that ladies wear sundresses at all costs. I expressed the idea that ladies refrain from participating in uncomely behavior when they're wearing something that might leave them exposed. (Britney Spears and her panty-free self is an example of not behaving like a lady when wearing a skirt.) And attempting to insult me by remarking about mullet hate? :confused3 I've not mentioned one comment regarding your hair. You may like it that way. I thought it was an awful hairstyle even when it was popular.

And yes. I do have an opinion about redhaired people and pink. I haven't seen one yet that it looks good on, but that is my opinion. Obviously, the wearer of the article of clothing is the one who ulitimately decides if they like it or not.

This thread is full of lots of people's opinions. Not just mine. And not just yours.

Some people are high-heel cripples; their Achilles tendons have shortened up from too many years of wearing high heels. When this happens to you, you pretty much have no choice but to wear them if you're going to be on your feet for any length of time, because flats stretch the tendon very painfully.

OUCH! No wonder Victoria Beckham wears heels non stop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter