High School Class of 2016/College Class 2020

So DD completed 3 days of school and made the volleyball team. All is going well so far and she's made some new friends. *HUGE sigh of relief*:thumbsup2

So DD completed 3 days of school and made the volleyball team. All is going well so far and she's made some new friends. *HUGE sigh of relief*:thumbsup2

Congrats to your dd for making the team as well as having a smooth transition.

DD finished her first week! No getting lost! :rotfl:

She seems to have had a great week and is really enjoying high school. Loves her classes and her teachers (so far anyway!) and is making a lot of new friends.

Hope everyone's new highschoolers have a great start!

DD14 starts HS in 10 days...tonight, she cleaned out her closet, and, either we bite the bullet and go shopping, or she goes to school naked. honestly, there's almost nothing left in it.

Well, haven't posted since I posted on Page 1 that my DD was terrified of starting high school. Yesterday was her first day and she dreaded getting out of the car. When I picked her up yesterday afternoon, I asked her how it went and her reply? AMAZING! Thank goodness the first day jitters are over and here's to a great school year :)

Heather

Well, haven't posted since I posted on Page 1 that my DD was terrified of starting high school. Yesterday was her first day and she dreaded getting out of the car. When I picked her up yesterday afternoon, I asked her how it went and her reply? AMAZING! Thank goodness the first day jitters are over and here's to a great school year :)

Heather

So glad she enjoyed her first day!

We have 2 weeks to go- I am frustrated with DD. She had to read just 1 book over the summer- a schoolwide assignment that they will use for not just English classes this year. And has she done it yet? NO!! Seems like the more I nag her to just read the darn thing, the more she digs her heels in and tells me "I got this, Mom- don't worry about it". Arrrgh!! :mad:

She will probably have to pull an all-nighter to get it done by the first day of school. And I will not be sympathetic when she is tired and cranky.

How exciting to see a lot of your kids back in school. Mine will start in two weeks. She is getting more nervous as the day approaches. Hopefully everything will go smoothly.

So, whose kiddos are back in school already? How is it going?
DD14 has 2 more weeks of summer and she is excited to start HS and be with her friends, but she is a bit nervous too.

Our church hosted a big party at Main Event yesterday afternoon for all of the incoming freshman and their families; I think she had a lot of fun. We a hosting a sleepover this weekend for several of her friends and she has “FISH Camp” next week which is freshman orientation at her HS. They do a half day program and let the students find all of their classrooms, meet teachers and fiddle with their lockers.

She has never been big on clothes shopping and has practically lived in denim and cotton since she started picking out her own clothing. Well, last week she made a shopping list of all of the clothing she wants! I hate to say that I am pleased, I LOVE shopping!!! We put a dent in it, but some of it is going to have to wait for her birthday in December. She wants 2 leather jackets and 3 pairs of boots. Good thing she has been doing some babysitting this summer! She is on the hook for the boot purchases.

My kids start in Thursday. Still trying to finish the summer work. DS14 is getting a little nervous I think.

Heather

I'm so glad it went well!!! We still have about 3 1/2 weeks before school starts here so we are all trying not to think about it :lmao: I do need to get the paperwork filled out since DD's registration is in two weeks.

My DD and I are in count down mode...she starts two weeks from tomorrow. Tomorrow it's the Freshman Orientation at the her high school so the bus will be picking her up then they are at the school until 11:30 and the freshman parent orientation is that night. She can't decide on what to wear but she's looking forward to get her schedule and see who is in her classes!

The other good thing is that the day after (Friday) we leave for the Jersey shore till Labor Day....that's what I'm also counting down :rotfl2:

Tomorrow is DD's orientation as well (until 11 or so). She has her outfit all picked out and a friend is sleeping over tonight. They will walk to school tomorrow together. I hope everything will be wonderful

My DD starts two weeks from tomorrow also :thumbsup2

She has registration next Tuesday and Orientation on Wednesday.

I don't think she has even thought about what she is going to wear on her first day (I think she is in denial). :lmao:

DD13 was off to school this morning (orientation). She got her schedule, and they did put her in Honors Geometry despite her C in Algebra last year (she texted me because she knew I was worried about that-particularly since I decided not to fight whatever placement they decided on). I hope that works out. Can't wait to hear everything when she gets home.

Tonight is "meet the teacher" and DD will get her schedule and visit the various classrooms.

However, I'm anticipating that some changes will need to be made. She decided in the summer not to try out for volleyball, which means taking athletics out of her schedule. We notified the counselor, but I won't be surprised if the change wasn't made.

She's very bright, but up until last year she never really focused on her grades. She was always more As than Bs, but last year she decided to buckle down, and managed all As for the entire year.

It appears her focus is going to carry into HS. She informed me that she is planning on all As this year because she wants to earn her letterman's jacket her freshman year.

It's all or nothing with this kid :) I've gone from nagging her about living up to her potential to encouraging her not to set her expectations too high. Her new course load is challenging, and I'd hate to see her burn out her freshman year.

DD14 started high school earlier this week. Her school is set up more like a college campus than a traditional high school. She has six classes in five different buildings and no two consecutive classes in the same building!

I suggested to my fashionista that she exchange that cute pair of wedges she just bought for a pair of running shoes so she could get to all her classes on time. She was not amused. :lmao:

She's a little stressed out, but it seems to be going well enough.

DD's school had its open house last night- we got to meet her teachers and see where her classes are located. Wow, am I glad she is good with directions- I got very lost in the halls. She says she already knows her way around, though. Only 4 more days!!

Hope everything goes great for those whose newbie high schoolers are starting now!

From the sounds of some of your kids' schedules, I am really liking the block schedule! DD only has 4 classes a semester (some semesters she will have more with a few electives being 9 week classes). She has plenty of "traveling" time between classes, lol.

DD is still loving it. Its such a change from the jr. high she attended! These kids feel like they finally have a little freedom!

I wish the BoE had approved the block schedule for this year, but it's up for another vote. Our current superintendent introduced it at his former district and I have friends there and they love it!

My DD got her schedule this morning and she's all over....starts & ends in one building (upstairs) which at least has a/c but the other classes are in the main building upstairs and down. Her bus lets her off in the complete opposite side of her homeroom. She picks up her bus for the G&T Dance program in front of the building of her homeroom - which is a bit of a bonus. She's all excited that she already knows lots of the kids in her Honors classes!

Now, I just need to get through the freshman parent orientation tonight :rotfl:

Took my son to Back to School Night last night. He is thrilled with everything. As a homeschooling Mom I felt a little sad, but I know that this child needs to be around people all the time, and this is the best way to meet that need. He has met lots of kids already through pre-season events with the soccer teams, so he was talking to lots of kids as we moved through the halls. I think he's going to love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter