Holding hands in the parks?

I'm going to be waaaay too busy trying to find my way to the jalapeno cheese pretzel cart to notice whether the couple holding hands in front of me is a gay couple or straight couple. :)

Enjoy your trip!

Please just be yourself. If you're comfortable holding hands in public go for it. I was just at WDW and can't say I noticed one way or another, but if there ever was a safe space to be yourself it's Disney.

IME, sometimes people say things. That's true of every place I've ever been. What matters more to me in judging safety and whether it's worth trying to hide or something (as though I could. I flame so bright you could see me from space whether I like it or not) is what the reaction of the people in charge will be. Some places they act like it's your fault for daring to be gay in the presence of children...but not at Disney. At WDW I have full confidence that the CMs (and their supervisors) would stand behind me and my partner if there were a serious problem. An ignorant PITA starts complaining or does more than toss out an insult as they pass, I know I can tell someone and not be blamed or in trouble for it.

Not that we hold hands much in general, we're just not that kind of couple, but an arm around the shoulder as we stand and wait for something or whatever. Though for what it's worth, I've noticed there is a lot lower threshold for what is considered "excessive PDA" from a gay couple than a straight one. People will accept a lot more than a peck from straight couples even if they agree that makeouts are too much...but a quick, closed-mouth kiss between two men or two women is usually seen as right on the appropriateness line. Oh well. C'est la vie.

I was wondering. I'm planning a vacation with the bf, but we are not doing the gay days thing. How comfortable is it to be able to hold hands like other couples do? We're not going to be making out all over the place. Maybe a quick peck now and then. Has anyone experienced any uncomfortableness?

This old married heterosexual lady is going to jump into your discussion and tell you go for it. If anyone gives you looks or whatever it is 'their' problem not yours. Be happy! :goodvibes

My DW and I went for our honeymoon in DL in 2012.

And we held hands in DL. We proudly wore our just married, and all of the CMs were friendly and some made a point of cheering us on.
We were congratulated by many, many people. Not just cm's others vacationers as well.

The only thing we noticed was one the story book canal, the couple in front of us were also just married and the CM made a big deal, and gave they a special honeymoon cruise, something we didn't not experience.

But other than that it was amazing.

There was one particular CM in toon town toy shop, who was not out, but was very happy to see us being who we wore, and made magic happen!

Just to let you know, When we go to WDW, in 16 more sleeps, we are still planning, on being true to us.

We are married, and in fact when we first were planning our honeymoon to disney world, we emailed disney and asked is this something accepted in Florida, as they seem pretty uptight about the whole thing. In the end we went DL and this year, finally going.

We received a beautiful email from guest relations, encouraging us and tell us it was fully accepted, and celebrated by disney.

It made us feel better and in fact made us relax as were nervous to go.

If you want I will email you a copy of that email from disney.
PM me.

Cheers, have a magical trip and enjoy yourselves.

Be in love. Act the way you feel like acting, and if it's between 9/27 & 10/5, this Kinsey 2 will be right there on her pink scooter to defend your right to do should anyone give you trouble. :cheer2:

My DW and I went for our honeymoon in DL in 2012.

We are married, and in fact when we first were planning our honeymoon to disney world, we emailed disney and asked is this something accepted in Florida, as they seem pretty uptight about the whole thing. In the end we went DL and this year, finally going.

We received a beautiful email from guest relations, encouraging us and tell us it was fully accepted, and celebrated by disney.

It made us feel better and in fact made us relax as were nervous to go.

This is really heartwarming and encouraging to hear, as my DFi and I are thinking of choosing WDW for our honeymoon. Thank you for sharing :goodvibes

Just to jump in, we just got back from our honeymoon at Aulani. We had an amazing time, and definitely were not hiding the fact that we were on our honeymoon (as my husband told every person we met).

We chose to do the private session Photopass, and the CM was so giddy that we were on our honeymoon that she went out of her way to set up everything and gave us extra time. She took over 400 pictures, then told us that we were her cutest couple ever...obviously she did not know us well :rolleyes1

On our ABD to Kualoa Ranch, our CM helped us with getting pictures together at every stop which was really nice as we were busy trying to stay on our horses!

The guests didn't care much either (or if they did, they didn't say anything). If nothing else, we were congratulated frequently by both guests and CMs.

It was amazing.

DL has plenty of opportunities. My GF and I do so a lot. Of course it is more socially acceptable for two women, but I wouldn't worry too much. DL has plenty of 'nooks and crannies' at night to steal a kiss or just be happy/huggy. Our personal favorites are the Snow White grotto (particularly at late night, it's really cool), and around corners at New Orleans Square or Adventureland. We have kissed on the tenders at WDW (mostly from Ft Wilderness to Contemporary Resort). The best time to do it if you're a guy, in my opinion anyway as a lady, is during fireworks or when everyone else is fairly distracted, in corners at dark rides, sitting and waiting for Soarin over California -- be spontaneous! Have fun!

Basically I think you will be in safer waters in California -- even though Orange County is a blazing conservative "red state" county in sea of blue ones. Gay marriage is legal here now, and neither us or any of our gay friends have been in the least hassled. That being said, basically don't be a dick about it. I don't like seeing facehugging PDAs among hetero couples even. Understand that you're with families and all sorts of people. Everyone can coexist.

Old married lady here. All I have to say is be aware that sometimes in Fl it is just too damn hot to hold hands whether you are gay or straight.

Enjoy your trip and your loved one.

I'm so sorry this is something you have to worry about. I hope this isn't offensive for me to say, but as a mom of 2 kids I am HOPING for my kids to see some gay couples kissing, holding hands, hugging, sharing loving looks, etc as we live in a smallish town and our only "normalizing" example of "see-we're all the same, we love who we love" is Ellen and Portia. If either or both of my kids are gay I want them to have lots of happy images stored in their brains of what life will be like for them. And regardless, it's important to us that the kids grow up to be inclusive and celebratory of everyone regardless of similarities or differences. You are more than "an example" certainly, but your bravery might let other ppl feel brave, too. I've never witnessed any gay couples being harassed at Disney, but if you would get a weird glance or whatever, know there are lots of ppl who have your back and think its sweet. Disney is a happy place. Hopefully it brings out all sorts of loving feelings for you two and you feel comfortable enough to show it. Best wishes for an awesome vacation!

(And no worries, I won't be all, "Look over there, kids! Gay people!")

^

Thank you for sharing this, it's very heartwarming to know you're bringing your kids up to respect all people, no matter who they love.

But of course! Pretty basic rule I would say. It confounds me that everyone doesn't do it. What a sad, hateful life they create for themselves and their kids.
Cheers!

We don't do it...it's not the place or time to hold hands.

I can't imagine why you'd say this. I have held my bf's (now husband's) hand while walking around Magic Kingdom, while waiting in line for Tower of Terror, and (my favorite) while watching Illuminations at Epcot, among many other times.

If it's fine for a straight couple to hold hands at such times, then it should be fine for us as well.

Love is love.

I had a 10 top at my restaurant last weekend. one of the couples was a male gay couple . I knew that (I have pretty good gaydar).
they were acting like a couple of brothers. at one point one had gotten up andn I asked the other if he thought his partner would like coffee.
after that.. the one had his arm around the other.

such a shame, that they didnt feel like one could simply put his arm around the other until the waitress "acknowledged" them as a couple.

I think it's hard sometimes, as a gay man or woman, if you come from a generation that is older, and even me at 35, I would consider that as an older generation, in terms of the gay rights you grew up with, to feel entirely comfortable expressing affection, even in this day and age, and with all the advancements in gay rights. Sometimes, there is still that old residual anxiety and nerves. For younger gays, they are more naturally free and comfortable because of the more accepting times they have grown up in.

That being, said, if I had a boyfriend when I go to Disney this week, I would feel comfortable being naturally affectionate with him in an organic and spontaneous way that was loving but appropriate, if it felt right. I'm not really a constant hand-holder, generally speaking - I'm more of an embracing, hugging kind of guy. Holding hands always makes me feel like when I was a child and had to hold my mother's hand LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter