Homeschooling

Great Lakes, I can add a reason I like the "formed" schooling ideas-not really sure what to call a school like connections. This fall my three will be going into 8th, 7th, and 1st. Not so worried about the 1st grader for this, but the older - don't they need some form of transcripts for college, or doesn't it make it easier for them to get in? We had been looking hard into Seton or Kolbe(we are catholic, they are currently in a catholic school) because they offer transcripts.......I think I need a little guidance in this area. This fall will be my first year hsing and I am a bit(well, more than a bit) scared! ANY suggestions would be great!

As a Catholic, stay away from the Abeka curriculum for the younger grades. The producers of it are very fundamentalist Protestants, who are very anti-Catholic (they are local to me here in Pensacola). Abeka is one of their ministry's main sources of income.

So, if a child is resentful and disatisfied in public or private school, they should be allowed to make the decision to homeschool? That would be interesting. ;)

OP, My girlfriend uses a Classical Catholic curriculum that she really likes, http://www.motherofdivinegrace.org/AboutUs/letter.htm . We use Laura Berquist's book Harp and Laurel Wreath for much of our memorization.:)

Never thought I would quote myself, but the friend who uses this just uses their resources until her kids hit high school. Then she signs them up for transcripts, etc.

As a Catholic, stay away from the Abeka curriculum for the younger grades. The producers of it are very fundamentalist Protestants, who are very anti-Catholic (they are local to me here in Pensacola). Abeka is one of their ministry's main sources of income.

I am decidedly Protestant, but did want to add that though as a Catholic you may not want to use any Bible materials from Abeka, they have some nice books for younger grades on health, manners...and their language arts stuff is pretty user friendly. And any books I've had I believe would carry scripture that both Catholics and Protestants would agree on and hold true - we use the same Bible after all. Language Arts would simply include some Bible verses for occasional written work - they are not doctrinal at all.:thumbsup2

You can also go to this seminar...http://homeschoolforhighschool.com/

I'm registered to go in May and learn how to handle the transcripts....etc for my son who will be entering 8th grade. I really want to homeschool them but I also want them to be seen as equal or better when applying for college, so I need to know what records to keep...what test to seek out...etc.

This seminar is held many different places and the speaker is a homeschooler with many years of experience in the field.

Just some personal experience here...

We used A Beka (sorry that someone found it to be anti-Catholic, we certainly aren't and didn't see that ourselves but everybody has a different opinion) all the way through but switched to them keeping the records when she entered 9th grade, because I wanted her to have a transcript.

Her intention had always been to apply to vet school, and we knew it could be tough to get in, so I wanted her to have a "regular" transcript. She changed her mind and applied instead to the early entry pharmacy school program (which was also difficult to get into).

When we visited the campus and questioned how her homeschooling would affect her overall, we were very surprised at how open they were (both the college admissions office and the pharmacy school). They had admitted homeschoolers before who did not have the school based transcripts. They just had to present a portfolio that detailed the work they had accomplished.

As long as there standardized test scores were adequate, they were accepted into college.

I am decidedly Protestant, but did want to add that though as a Catholic you may not want to use any Bible materials from Abeka, they have some nice books for younger grades on health, manners...and their language arts stuff is pretty user friendly. And any books I've had I believe would carry scripture that both Catholics and Protestants would agree on and hold true - we use the same Bible after all. Language Arts would simply include some Bible verses for occasional written work - they are not doctrinal at all.:thumbsup2

My main problem with using Abeka material is that it funds opinions I don't agree with. The material itself may be appropriate, I just know that the anti-Catholic ministry of Pensacola Christian College is funded by Abeka profits.

Just some personal experience here...

We used A Beka (sorry that someone found it to be anti-Catholic, we certainly aren't and didn't see that ourselves but everybody has a different opinion) all the way through but switched to them keeping the records when she entered 9th grade, because I wanted her to have a transcript.

The material itself probably isn't anti-Catholic. I have no problem with the material. My problem is with the ministry that is funded by the profits from Abeka.

The material itself probably isn't anti-Catholic. I have no problem with the material. My problem is with the ministry that is funded by the profits from Abeka.

Wow - we must be homeschoolers - we even can re-enact the Reformation (in reverse) on our board! :cool1: I guess one always has to consider this for all things - ironically (because of where our board is located) many claim Disney is anti-Christian. I guess we each take our stands where we determine they are necessary.

I don't believe Pensecola Christian College is ANTI Catholic, but they are most certainly Protestant which is, of course, a result of a breakaway from Catholicism. But, again, as a Catholic you have to decide where you want your $ to go and you are certainly entitled to withhold it from there. I just wouldn't want someone struggling to begin homeschooling to forego a curriculum that may be easy to begin with because it iis deemed anti-Catholic.

Whew - please no angry words - just wanted to clear up that the curriculum itself is not anti-Catholic.;)

Wow - we must be homeschoolers - we even can re-enact the Reformation (in reverse) on our board! :cool1: I guess one always has to consider this for all things - ironically (because of where our board is located) many claim Disney is anti-Christian. I guess we each take our stands where we determine they are necessary.

I don't believe Pensecola Christian College is ANTI Catholic, but they are most certainly Protestant which is, of course, a result of a breakaway from Catholicism. But, again, as a Catholic you have to decide where you want your $ to go and you are certainly entitled to withhold it from there. I just wouldn't want someone struggling to begin homeschooling to forego a curriculum that may be easy to begin with because it iis deemed anti-Catholic.

Whew - please no angry words - just wanted to clear up that the curriculum itself is not anti-Catholic.;)

Well, having local experiences, I tend to differ about PCC.

I just don't want Catholics misled and supporting something like that. There are plenty of other good homeschooling curricula available. I would rather that Abeka not be enriched.

I am very impressed with these formed cirriculum school programs, but I think I want to be more in control of the grading...........in no way is it because I want to lie and say my children make straight A's........I just want to be able to grade the papers with them and help them learn from their mistakes. If I have to send the papers off-it will be like traditional school and take quite a bit to get them back, if we even get them back. By then, we will be on to something else. Anyway, any advice you or anyone else want to give-please go ahead!
The main question I have now is how do I find the correct books for my kids? I am ok in the math area, I actually already have the older gilrs Saxon math books for the fall, and will do a lot of "hands on" math with my DS who will be in 1st grade. I can deal with the addition, subtraction, money, time ideas and not really have any trouble helping him.......but how do I know what is appropriate for subjects such as history, science etc?

Hi paper. I too like the overall idea of the virtual schools in that they provide everything you need. I mean, heck! After just adding up my expenses for last year, it would be nice to not have to spend that $2100 I managed to keep receipts for last year! But I would completely and terribly miss the freedom that I have as a homeschooler. I do not want or need someone overseeing what we do as far as grading etc go. The whole point (to me) is that as a homeschooler I work on a concept until my kids get it and move on quickly if we don't need as much work as the book thinks. I too want to know right away if we are not getting something, not wait for feedback from someone else.

I personally don't like Abeka either. It is too "schoolish" for me. What can I say, I like freedom!

As for history, science, etc I would recommend finding a topic that you or your kids are interested in and learning more about that. For instance, when DD was in 1st grade she was way into the Felicity American Girl books so we got the Felicity's World book from the library, found other fiction based history books to read and did crafts etc from that period. Then we decided that the Gold Rush was an interesting time so I got this great book called Gold Rush about these two boys who sold all of their possesions to go mine for gold in the Yukon. It is a story interspersed with activities and real life historical accounts of that time. We then got other resources from the library and ideas from the internet and focused on that time for a couple of months.

For science, I would recommend Real Science 4 Kids either chemistry or biology and Apologia Discovering Creation with.....series. Apologia has a very religious bent but not toward one faith or another. In astronomy though there is mention of why the Big Bang theory would not really work as well as several mentions of why God placed certain things certain ways. Not a problem for us, but just something to be aware of. There is also a set called Science in a Nutshell and it comes with all you need to explore certain topics in a hands on way in one kit/container.

Has anyone ever gone to Epcot with actual worksheets or something for the kids? Or has anyone ever done sort of a study based on Epcot prior to leaving on vacation?

Of course I don't want to be the vacationing teaching mom :teacher: but I do wonder if my older sons would actually find something like that interesting - even on site. We did the country thing and hunted for a stamp last time but I would call that fun not really educational.

Kids have been writing in their journals with itineraries all this week thinking we are going back in February (we are) and not knowing that we are actually going back in August as well :yay:

Great lakes--I would contact Disney's education dept and find out if you could get the booklets they use for homeschool days even though you don't qualify as a group. I have heard they are really neat.

About the teaching mom on vacation, we had DHs bday on vacation one year and did not have 42 candles--imagine that! So I said the green ones were going to be worth ten years each and asked DS 6 how many I should then put on. He rolled his eyes at me and said, "Come on, Mom! I am on vacation! Does everything have to be schoolwork???" We just cracked up. I think it is in the homeschooling mom blood!

Good morning! Ok, I am back again looking for a little more support............as our current school year comes to a close, I am questioning my self so much about this homeschooling issue...........do any of you homeschooling mama's work too? This fall I will not be working (maybe occassionally at the hospital-I am prn and they only call a couple times/month) but I will be in school myself full time......then after I graduate I will work, maybe not full time that will be a choice we make then...........I am questioning myself and DH is not helping. He is the kind of person that can make a decision and it is final. Me however-not sure how we have ended up together-lol! Anyway, guess I need a little support or advice-get me back on that train!!!! :confused3

I forgot about the other "big" roadblock. DD 13(oldest one) does not want to hs.......I do not think she will cause too many issues with it if I make her, but I do worry about this causing issues with her---any suggestions?

Amy--my suggestion is to give it a try. Decide you are going to do it either for one year or for the first semester adn see how it goes. I would not tell the kids your time limit however, because if they don't want it to work, they will make it not work. But set in your head for yourself "I am going to reevaluate Jan 2." or whatever date you choose. Don't reevaluate on a date you haven't set ahead of time or you will be tempted to chuck it all on a hard day.

As for the working, I did work for a year and a half and DH and I split kid duties/homeschooling. I will admit we didn't make it very smooth but I think more organized people probably could.

I would not make her hs if she didn't want to. I've seen it cause quite a few issues between grown children and their parents. You may want to talk about why she wants to go to the local school. If you're not happy with the b&m school, you can always pull her out and start hs'ing again. I've used a virtual charter school with my oldest for the last 2.5 years. We are moving into a new district this summer and he has decided that he wants to go there. We're going to let him, it's a really good school and I don't want him to resent hs'ing later. DH and I decided that we will evaluate the situation at the end of the year. We have also decided that we will supplement his schooling whenever needed. Don't get me wrong, I think hs'ing is a great option, but it's not for everyone or every situation. Good luck, it's a hard decision to make.

I'm extremely pro-homeschooling BUT I would suggest that you have a heart to heart with the DD - take her out just the two (or three) of you and discuss her concerns, your concerns, etc....It's a hard age to "leave friends" (as it always seems permanent at this age) and you really want to be able to cooperate well when school starts. :goodvibes Ultimately your decision, but perhaps if she were more involved in planning her day or something like that??

I do not work and homeschool and for my sanity and physical well-being I probably could not. You know yourself best in this regard. It's completely possible to do - very based on your make-up. I do have a close friend who raises thoroughbreds and homeschools and she does well and her children excel - she has actually determined that the best way for her is to school for just a couple hours in the morning, read in the evening together, but then school throughout the year (actually not as overwhelming as it sounds).

I think it's important to remember that you have a lot of flexibility with this - you make it fit into your family. :) Give it a try - especially if DH thinks decision is made and the decision is to go for it - his support will really help.

Thanks for the replies.....to answer some questions & comments-DH is very supportive, he just wants me to make a decision and keep with it. I do too, I am just the mom, so worrying is what I do best! Also, this first year I will be going to school and working very very little. Luckily for me, my classes are online-so I do not have the commute or hours in the classroom. I do however have clinicals, which right now are only one day a week(1-9) and I think eventually they will be 2 days/week.........I am not worried about my working schedule since I am going for nursing and I can work 2nd shift and let DH do some of the schooling part when I am not around. Homeschooling was not in the "plan" when I decided to go back to school 6 years ago------the need for me to have a good paying job by 2008 was the goal-when the oldest would start Highschool and tuition goes WAY up! But now I am locked into loans, so a job is a must to pay them back......anyway, thanks so much and any other advice-please give!!!! I do like the spending time with the oldest idea-maybe she can help me:)

I forgot about the other "big" roadblock. DD 13(oldest one) does not want to hs.......I do not think she will cause too many issues with it if I make her, but I do worry about this causing issues with her---any suggestions?

As a former homeschooling mom the only advice I would give is that if your DD13 does not want to homeschool, it won't work. She will fight you at every level and that is not what the experience is supposed to be about. I haven't read the entire thread but unless there are really strong reasons for removing her from her current situation, I would re-think it. DD13 has got to want this as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter