Homeschooling

My recently turned 7 yo is becoming a nightmare to homeschool. He fights every single thing I say we are doing. Including games. I am just so tired of it I could cry. I don't want to fight with this child everyday but I don't think he would do well in a school setting either. I don't know what to do with him and need some suggestions. What he tells me is that he doesn't want to go to school and he doesn't want to homeschool he just wants school to not exist at all. I have tried just taking some time off but then all he does is whine about watching TV or playing computer games or whatever he can think of to complain about. Help!!

And a secondary question--if your kids are playing productively do you interupt them to do school? For instance, my boys right now are making a rocket ship out of a box. They have a whole plan, they have taped on controls and decided what each one does, are making up a story line etc. Technically we should be doing table work at this time of the day. They are 5 and 7. What would you do?

If it were me, I would not fight the issue. I would tell them that school is non-negotiable. I would also tell them that we can't watch TV or get on the computer until school is finished. Furthermore, since we can't accomplish anything with whining and complaining going on, it looks like we'll have to hold off on school. That, in turn, will delay any form of play, TV, computer, etc.

Don't let them have any form of entertainment while they're pouting, etc. (in other words, it needs to be as boring as possible).

At their ages, I suspect just sitting on the couch will get old pretty quickly. Tell them that when they're ready to have school, let you know, and you'll be ready to get started. The sooner school is done (and done correctly, not with an attitude), the sooner other options are available.

As far as the rocket goes, I don't see a problem with letting them continue it from time to time, but I don't think it needs to be a daily issue. One of the problems that I've seen people run into is that while homeschooling can be (and should be) pretty flexible, they let the flexibility get out of control and wind up having to extend their school year much longer (and not getting to have a regular summer break).

Anyway, these are just my opinions. ;)

If it were me, I would not fight the issue. I would tell them that school is non-negotiable. I would also tell them that we can't watch TV or get on the computer until school is finished. Furthermore, since we can't accomplish anything with whining and complaining going on, it looks like we'll have to hold off on school. That, in turn, will delay any form of play, TV, computer, etc.

Don't let them have any form of entertainment while they're pouting, etc. (in other words, it needs to be as boring as possible).

At their ages, I suspect just sitting on the couch will get old pretty quickly. Tell them that when they're ready to have school, let you know, and you'll be ready to get started. The sooner school is done (and done correctly, not with an attitude), the sooner other options are available.

As far as the rocket goes, I don't see a problem with letting them continue it from time to time, but I don't think it needs to be a daily issue. One of the problems that I've seen people run into is that while homeschooling can be (and should be) pretty flexible, they let the flexibility get out of control and wind up having to extend their school year much longer (and not getting to have a regular summer break).

Anyway, these are just my opinions. ;)

I resemble that remark...;) That is the nice thing about homeschooling. We went science nuts, but as I said history suffered. We don't mind working some over the summer, though. The boys have always done enough math to keep them at level, at least. We do some work in the morning (school and house) and pool it in the afternoon. I love summer... My house is always clean, the kids are clean, and I have girlfriends with whom to gab the afternoon away...

I do, however, agree with limiting tv and videos until work is done. I thought that he was fussing, because he'd rather be doing such things. It is hard to go thru the whiny times. BTDT. I hate complaining with a passion! It wears on my every last nerve.:headache:eta:FWIW, as they got older, mine whined less and less. The 7 year olds still does on occasion, but my 10 and 12 year old are pretty good at getting the job done. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

I resemble that remark...;) That is the nice thing about homeschooling. We went science nuts, but as I said history suffered. We don't mind working some over the summer, though. The boys have always done enough math to keep them at level, at least. We do some work in the morning (school and house) and pool it in the afternoon. I love summer... My house is always clean, the kids are clean, and I have girlfriends with whom to gab the afternoon away...

I do, however, agree with limiting tv and videos until work is done. I thought that he was fussing, because he'd rather be doing such things. It is hard to go thru the whiny times. BTDT. I hate complaining with a passion! It wears on my every last nerve.:headache:eta:FWIW, as they got older, mine whined less and less. The 7 year olds still does on occasion, but my 10 and 12 year old are pretty good at getting the job done. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

To be quite honest, we "resembled it" a couple of times ourselves!:rolleyes1 We had a couple of years where we finished in July and started back in August. Those were times that we either had a lot of sickness and/or spent a lot of time at the horse trainer's! ;)

It was great being able to bend the schooling to fit "our" schedule on an as needed basis! :thumbsup2 But, DD also liked having regular summers off too (like her friends and family), so I tried not to let it happen more than we could help. That worked for us, but fortunately, everybody can work it to fit them best. I mentioned that only because I've known several families who actually quit homeschooling because of it.

I absolutely loved homeschooling and hope DD wants to do the same with her children (if she ever has any). :love:

Yep, we are just stuck in whiny mode. Or he is stuck and bringing me with him! :rotfl: There is no TV and no computer until afternoons around here. And even then it is very limited. Video games are only allowed every other Saturday with Daddy so the whining about that is quite pointless! And he has lost the privelege of getting to play due to too much whining too.

As for the rocket, it is not an everyday thing. They just got involved in it before school started and I did let it carry over. Since posting we have actually done school work in the meantime. He does not have a lot of table work that has to be done. We do projects for history pretty much all day on Mondays. One Friday a month we spend the whole day at clay camp. Otherwise I try to get math, reading and handwriting done everyday. The other subjects we rotate depending on the day. It is hard when they don't all work on table work at once because then I spend my whole entire day supervising lessons. And if there is a big delay for one, the others get the bummer of the consequences too sometimes.

And yes, I know it can get better. DD 10 is easy as pie the vast majority of the time to school. I give her her assignments for independent work and if she gets stuck she comes to me. She knows how good she's got it at home and wants to keep going!

It is just one of those days, or weeks, you know? I think the fact that we suddenly have snow again is getting me down too. And I think I have let the idea of the supermom who makes school fun everyday(I don't know who she is, but somedays I am sure she is out there somewhere! :rotfl: )has me feeling like I am a boring mom who is no fun and not inspiriing that love of learning that I dreamed of for my kids. DH reminds me that "sometimes school just sucks. That is a fact of life." Well, okay then!

As for the rocket, it is not an everyday thing. They just got involved in it before school started and I did let it carry over. Since posting we have actually done school work in the meantime. He does not have a lot of table work that has to be done. We do projects for history pretty much all day on Mondays. One Friday a month we spend the whole day at clay camp. Otherwise I try to get math, reading and handwriting done everyday. The other subjects we rotate depending on the day. It is hard when they don't all work on table work at once because then I spend my whole entire day supervising lessons. And if there is a big delay for one, the others get the bummer of the consequences too sometimes.

And yes, I know it can get better. DD 10 is easy as pie the vast majority of the time to school. I give her her assignments for independent work and if she gets stuck she comes to me. She knows how good she's got it at home and wants to keep going!

It is just one of those days, or weeks, you know? I think the fact that we suddenly have snow again is getting me down too. And I think I have let the idea of the supermom who makes school fun everyday(I don't know who she is, but somedays I am sure she is out there somewhere! :rotfl: )has me feeling like I am a boring mom who is no fun and not inspiriing that love of learning that I dreamed of for my kids. DH reminds me that "sometimes school just sucks. That is a fact of life." Well, okay then!

:rotfl: I want to go to clay camp!

My older boys have that understanding, also. They talk to their friends who spend 7 hours a day in class, and thank their lucky stars, that they aren't!:cool1:

Has your daughter read the "Surviving the Applewhites?" It is about a bad kid that goes to live with a family of unschoolers...too funny. Somehow it seems applicable between worrying about making school always fun, and being a supermom...

It was 81 degrees yesterday, and we went to our farm for the day...I actually am sunburnt. Today is grey and chilly, and tomorrow the snow will be back. :sad1: Spring fever has hit my home in the worst way...think I'll go out and clip all of my flowers...they'll all be dead tomorrow!:headache: :laughing:

:flower3: :hug:

I have a 5 yr old in Kindergarten, needless to say, this year has been less than desireable. It's been a nightmare. She's very bright, but her class is lagging behind, and she's very bored. I have thought of taking her out of school, all year, but don't know how to buy a cirriculum, or create one. I'm afraid of missing something very important. I also am having a hard time finding information, about possibly re-entering her back into school, if home school doesn't work out. Any suggestions? We have tons of work books, but it's mostly math and language arts. I'm worried about buying a cirriculum that won't meet our needs, or one that will be too easy for her. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance, Lisa

I have a 5 yr old in Kindergarten, needless to say, this year has been less than desireable. It's been a nightmare. She's very bright, but her class is lagging behind, and she's very bored. I have thought of taking her out of school, all year, but don't know how to buy a cirriculum, or create one. I'm afraid of missing something very important. I also am having a hard time finding information, about possibly re-entering her back into school, if home school doesn't work out. Any suggestions? We have tons of work books, but it's mostly math and language arts. I'm worried about buying a cirriculum that won't meet our needs, or one that will be too easy for her. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance, Lisa

Personally, we used A Beka, and it was very comprehensive.

BUT, I noticed that you're from FL. Last November I attended a National School Board Association technology conference in Dallas, TX. One of the sessions I participated in was concerning distance learning. DH and I both got our M.S. through distance learning, and our DD was homeschooled, so I'm always interested in new developements.

I was very impressed with a presenter from FL. FL actually has an online school system. It's recognized as its "own" school district and funded accordingly. They provide you with a computer and a stipend for the internet connection. I'll see if I can find a link for you and post it here.

ETA: http://www.flvs.net/educators/fact_sheet.php According to this, it's for 6-12th grades, but I'll look a little more, because the meeting I attended talked about lower elementary too.

Edited again: I copied the info below from the FL Dept. of Ed. site. I've put one sentence in bold that refers to the FL Virtual School team as being a K-12 online school. You may have to call them to get clarification (either FL Dept. of Ed. or try the FL Virtual School).

U.S. Department of State’s “Doors to Diplomacy” Educational Challenge WinnersPlease join us in a round of virtual applause for three Florida Virtual School students who have recently won the U.S. Department of State "Doors to Diplomacy" educational challenge for their web-based project, "Golden Bridges: Connecting People to Peace." The FLVS students were one of two teams to receive the international award, co-sponsored by the Department of State and Global SchoolNet, for creating a web site that highlighted the importance of international affairs and diplomacy. The competition attracted 305 student teams from 46 countries. The FLVS team was the first K-12 online school to receive the award since the inception of the program. Encouraged by their FLVS AP U.S. History teacher, Ms. Sherry McAuliffe, the three FLVS students, Felicia (18), Ashley (16), and Katie (15) decided to build upon their passion for international relations and foreign affairs by entering the competition. To complete the project, the students created an engaging, interactive web site with quizzes, crossword puzzles, academic resources, interactive maps and additional historical data about the evolution of the United Nations. Congratulations Felicia, Ashley, and Katie!

I noticed that you're from FL. FL actually has a online computer school system. It's recognized as its "own" school district and funded accordingly. They provide you with a computer and a stipend for the internet connection. I'll see if I can find a link for you and post it here.

Personally, we used A Beka, and it was very comprehensive.

ETA; http://www.flvs.net/educators/fact_sheet.php According to this, it's for 6-12th grades, but I'll look a little more, because the meeting I attended talked about lower elementary too.

Florida uses Connections Academy for the lower grades, but I don't know many of the details of it. I believe that children who are doing this still have to take the FCATs when they are scheduled.

Amie

Florida uses Connections Academy for the lower grades, but I don't know many of the details of it. I believe that children who are doing this still have to take the FCATs when they are scheduled.

Amie

I think you're right about that (it seems like that was mentioned in the workshop).

Amie

Yes, with Connections Academy you have to take the FCAT. When using the Florida Virtual School in 6-12 you do not. You are not registered in a public school with them.

Thanks for all of your information and hard work. I will definately look into it. Thanks again, Lisa

I wanted to give you all a followup. After reviewing their website, I am enrolling my daughter. I like their online printouts, and easy to read assignments. My daughter is already excited about doing it. Thanks for all your help. Elisa

I just looked up the site for myself, I live in Missouri and it says it is coming to my area-how can I get more info, maybe info on when it will start(hopefully this fall)? Thanks

Yes, with Connections Academy you have to take the FCAT. When using the Florida Virtual School in 6-12 you do not. You are not registered in a public school with them.

Hi All - HSer here in Michigan....ds11, ds8, dd6....HSing really just plain fit our family. My eldest son did traditional schooling through 2nd grade. When his teacher told me something was attributed to his "being a classic eldest" I was done :rotfl: It was the most un-helpful comment a teacher had ever said - what did she expect me to do about this? My dh still laughs about her plan to get us to adopt in order to change the birthorder in our family a bit :laughing:

ANYWAY - my middle ds is quite bright as is my youngest (not to say my eldest is not)...HSing allowed me to pick and choose curriculum across the grade/age spectrum. I no longer think of them as being in a specific grade - they are who they are and they are at where they are at.

Michigan does not offer any of the distance-type learning I'm reading about, but I'm curious as to how this is different from actual public schooling? Same lessons, same teachers, etc. just at your house? Or do you supplement with your own stuff and use the distance learning for only the subject you have no desire to teach?

I know we have friends in Alaska who receive the $ allotment for their children as long as they take standardized testing each year, but I believe she retains complete control of curriculum.

Just curious....:rolleyes:

Glad to find a homeschooling enclave at the DIS board (I think there's another hs-ing thread as well??)

Just wanted to add something Disney/Florida in here.....

We went last in January and I love, LOVE the flexibility we had to do so. We took some schooling with us (we camped this time) and they really did do a few math sheets - and they did a lot of reading!

The best part however, was the fact that Epcot became a field trip including visits to countries we had covered in geography and even better was our day away at Kennedy. We're using Apologia's astronomy text this year and it was so wonderful to see the lightbulbs go off in their little brains as they saw all this "space stuff" up close and personal.

:teacher:
YEA!

Great Lakes, I can add a reason I like the "formed" schooling ideas-not really sure what to call a school like connections. This fall my three will be going into 8th, 7th, and 1st. Not so worried about the 1st grader for this, but the older - don't they need some form of transcripts for college, or doesn't it make it easier for them to get in? We had been looking hard into Seton or Kolbe(we are catholic, they are currently in a catholic school) because they offer transcripts.......I think I need a little guidance in this area. This fall will be my first year hsing and I am a bit(well, more than a bit) scared! ANY suggestions would be great!

Great Lakes, I can add a reason I like the "formed" schooling ideas-not really sure what to call a school like connections. This fall my three will be going into 8th, 7th, and 1st. Not so worried about the 1st grader for this, but the older - don't they need some form of transcripts for college, or doesn't it make it easier for them to get in? We had been looking hard into Seton or Kolbe(we are catholic, they are currently in a catholic school) because they offer transcripts.......I think I need a little guidance in this area. This fall will be my first year hsing and I am a bit(well, more than a bit) scared! ANY suggestions would be great!

I have two points of reference where transcripts are concerned - I worked in the Admissions & Financial Aid Office of my college while matriculating. Even waaay back then (okay the 90s) we had homeschoolers applying. Many transcripts were courtesy of their mothers but, at that point, we knew in our office that if we wanted to 'call her' on the transcripts she already had the back-up: Standardized Tests. These kids came with their PSAT scores and ACT scores (or SAT scores). By your daughter's age you want to maintain a grading book and really supply HER with a report card. These will work if she's college-bound as she will also have to take these tests.

My second point of reference is my mentor in this hs-ing journey who has now successfully home taught three of her children through high school with her final currently a senior. These children have gone on to the schools of their choice and are quite successful. I know she has used Abeka's distance learning program for some classes (though, incidentally, not the graded versions) more so her older children learn to listen to a lecture and take notes.

My advice is not to do this because of fear over transcripts. Do it because the program fits your children best. And as a Catholic who obviously is involved in her faith enough to utilize Catholic private school, just make sure that the instruction is in keeping with your faith.

I do not, obviously, have information on this type of program either - thus my questions - I find it intriguing. I have considered Alpha Omega's Switched On School House for my eldest as he grows so he, too, learns to listen and take concise notes. In Michigan I do not have the option others have.

You will not regret your decision.:cloud9: That does not mean, however, that your days will be all sunshine and rainbows ;) Never feel incapable and know that your children will look back on this time fondly. It really is quite a special thing you are endeavoring to do for them.

Whew...too long? :flower3: Sorry....

you did not go on too long at all Great Lakes.......I need a mentor I think:) Actually everyone on this board has been AWESOME with my decision. So far in "real life" all the families I have experience with seem open to questions, but uncomfortable giving advice-well I think that his what I need.......but not too much! There is one family that we went to and I had to back off because her opinion is very strong towards her way of schooling. I am just not sure about "my way" just yet.
I am very impressed with these formed cirriculum school programs, but I think I want to be more in control of the grading...........in no way is it because I want to lie and say my children make straight A's........I just want to be able to grade the papers with them and help them learn from their mistakes. If I have to send the papers off-it will be like traditional school and take quite a bit to get them back, if we even get them back. By then, we will be on to something else. Anyway, any advice you or anyone else want to give-please go ahead!
The main question I have now is how do I find the correct books for my kids? I am ok in the math area, I actually already have the older gilrs Saxon math books for the fall, and will do a lot of "hands on" math with my DS who will be in 1st grade. I can deal with the addition, subtraction, money, time ideas and not really have any trouble helping him.......but how do I know what is appropriate for subjects such as history, science etc?

You can also go to this seminar...http://homeschoolforhighschool.com/

I'm registered to go in May and learn how to handle the transcripts....etc for my son who will be entering 8th grade. I really want to homeschool them but I also want them to be seen as equal or better when applying for college, so I need to know what records to keep...what test to seek out...etc.

This seminar is held many different places and the speaker is a homeschooler with many years of experience in the field.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter