Homeschooling

Just popping in to say that I am a homeschooling Mommy too! :) We don't use any particular curriculum. We use a Charlotte Mason -esque approach. :)

I love the Charlotte Mason approach. I found it after my sons were older so it never quite took with them. I plan to use it from the beginning with my dd.

Good morning everyone!
I thought I would post an update for anyone who may have wondered about my decision...............drumroll please

Well today is the final day to send in registration for my three children to back to the catholic school we have been going to since the beginning-and all the paperwork is still on my counter! You guys are the first to hear it, and had you asked on Sunday-I was positive they were going back to the catholic school in the fall! What a roller coaster this is! Last night DH & I went to the monthly meeting for our county homeschool group and walked away with TONS of information.
Let me tell you what has occurred over the last few days. Sunday while at church, something made me decide to go back-that homeschool was just too much of a challenge for me to take on right now. So many reasons were telling me to do it, but I was so fearful of not keeping my children up to "par". Monday rolled around and I told the girls(ages 11/12) and they both seemed let down...........so I told them to write me an essay about what they wanted to do and to have it to me by 9pm Tuesday evening........they had it to me by Monday night. One was a positive yes, she even labeled the first page "****(last name) Academy"!! The oldest is a little hesitant for doing it this fall but definately wants next fall(worried about missing all the 8th grade stuff).
So as for me, I have done a lot of research with the help of you guys and a couple famililes we know around here. I have found a few catholic schools that they are technically enrolled in, and the schools keep all the grades/transcripts........I like that for a comfort feeling right now, but may choose to do it all on my own by July. I have decided to start in July. School is out at the end of May, so June will be open, then vacation at the end of June.......then start slow in July!

so I guesss at the end of this, I do have a question-any advice on what to say to our school? I am there 3 days/week-so it will come out. Also, this is our church-we are very involved and want to keep it that way-so no fibs or skirting, but also, not interested in slamming the school. Honestly the decision has no bad reasons towards the school-I just want better for my kids:) :cheer2:

Woot! Woot! Good for you!!!

My personal advice would be to just tell people that this is something you are interested in trying. Whatever you do, do NOT say you want to do something better for your kids!!!!!!!! That is insinuating that they don't...as you've seen here, that causes hostility!!!:rolleyes1

Again, congratulations on making a choice you are happy with!

Woot! Woot! Good for you!!!

My personal advice would be to just tell people that this is something you are interested in trying. Whatever you do, do NOT say you want to do something better for your kids!!!!!!!! That is insinuating that they don't...as you've seen here, that causes hostility!!!:rolleyes1

Again, congratulations on making a choice you are happy with!

I agree with this very much.

I homeschooled while working as an administrator for a public school district, and my DH taught elementary school in the same district. I had to travel to state dept. of ed. meetings frequently (and took her with me). I honestly never had a problem. I kept it very low key and just said that I felt like in my family's case this is what worked best.

People may draw lots of different conclusions (may think the tuition was a problem ;) ), but if I were you, I wouldn't care what conclusions they draw. Just keep it low key and don't feel like you have to justify your decision (the more you talk the worse it would probably get anyway).

That's what I always did, and I never had a bad encounter over all those years. I supported our school district (just like I would have if she had been in school there - which she never was).

Good luck!

Amy--congrats on the decision!!! It is scary, huh? Don't worry though we are all here for you and I would bet that most of us have gone through doubting times of WHY am I doing this???? I agree with meandtheguys as far as what to tell the school. Simply that this is something you are feeling called to do and you need to see how it goes.

Good luck and don't be surprised if you still wonder over the next few months if you made the right choice. It will all work out.

Being as it's a religious school...and you are a religious person (from what you have posted I gather this)...I am assuming you did not make this decision without much thoughtful prayer. IF those assumptions are true...then you have a very easy out....

"He is leading our family in this direction. We have carefully thought it out and spent time in prayer on this issue. Simply, this is what our family feels called to do."

You can be honest and share your reasons and feelings with close friends but remember, "just acquaintances" or anyone other then those very close to you have no reason to question you any further. My personal rule of thumb is if I would feel comfortable asking about sensitive issues within their family I respect their right to do the same. This extends to a VERY small circle of my closest friends/family. I feel like they are asking out of love alone. Thus, I answer them.

If questions about your feelings toward the school arise, simply state it the way you posted it here. You are not against the school. You don't think it's doing a bad job. You just feel this is right for your family. Keep your answer consistent and short. Keep the focus of your answer on you are doing what you feel is right for your family instead of making statements in defense of your feelings about the school/people/etc. Keep things positive using "we" and "our" statements. "We have chosen to home school because we feel it is right for our family." If people persist with questions about "But don't you think the school is doing a great job, why would you feel the need". Direct the conversation away from those types of questions. "Again, we are doing what we feel He has called us to do, it is in no way a judgment of anything else...if He calls, we follow" And so forth and so on. Don't get into discussions about why the school this or what you hope to gain that. Those sorts of conversations are not really needed.

As far as notification, you should simply explain to the principal, the priest, the who ever you feel has the need to know that you will not be re enrolling your children and explain the why (ie you have given it prayerful thought and home schooling is what your family is called to do) You could even let them know that you have no reservations about recommending this school to your neighbors, family members and friends...it just is not the place that He called your family to be. Keeping it short, straight forward, honest and NEVER ASKING OR BEING APOLOGETIC is the way to go. If you start looking to "seek approval" you are asking them to agree with your choice and that is not needed. Also, don't apologize, you are doing nothing wrong. You know your motives have nothing to do with having negative feelings toward the school, church or the people involved. So...you have no apologizing to do.

If any other forms need to be filled out or secretary told or something like that...just inform...don't explain.

Stay involved in your other church activities. Don't allow yourself to be drawn into long explanations. Don't justify or seek approval. You know you would accept others in your church family for following the path they feel is best for their family...just expect the same of them.

And a final thought, keep your "solid front" with both you and dh. Remind him that if this is the choice you are making for your family you don't need to apologize, get approval or explain it away. And as far as your kids go...discuss their feelings on how to answer this question and help them work a pat answer up and encourage them to use it with adults or acquaintances who may ask. Also, tell them it is never okay for an adult to be quizzing them on this choice in a way that makes them feel put on the spot and that they should answer any adult with the pat answer and after that involve you or your dh in the conversation. Of course, they are kids and will discuss it with their friends just make sure they understand that it's important to be open and honest but that being those things does not mean having to gain approval or even acceptance from everyone about this choice.

This time next year, this will be a non issue to most people. I promise! You will just be the *&$%@ family who happens to home school. Your family, friends and church family will support you in your choice at most or at the very least they will have learned to agree to disagree over this issue and realized that they truly have no say in how your family is run so it is a waste to try and get you into a debate over the topic. At least that has been my own personal experience. Good luck!! :hug:

Amy--congrats on the decision!!! It is scary, huh? Don't worry though we are all here for you and I would bet that most of us have gone through doubting times of WHY am I doing this???? I agree with meandtheguys as far as what to tell the school. Simply that this is something you are feeling called to do and you need to see how it goes.

Good luck and don't be surprised if you still wonder over the next few months if you made the right choice. It will all work out.

Truer words then those have rarely been spoken!! :grouphug:

thank you everyone!

You better believe I am scared-words cannot describe the fear I have about it all.........I also feel guilt too, but Ithink that will go away over time.
Today is Ash Wednesday, so I went to the school mass. My son(5, kindergarten) was giving out pennies that had been blessed. Ok, I cried like a baby. I know I will give them many great memories, but I also know some things just will not be possible anymore-like this, helping in the school mass.
I guess next year we will all be going as a family:)

take care & thanks so much for all the kind words and advice!

I think starting out in July is an excellent idea. That's what we did when we were in a similar situation. Ease into it.
Blessings on your big decision! :)

I think starting out in July is an excellent idea. That's what we did when we were in a similar situation. Ease into it.
Blessings on your big decision! :)

don't mean to jump in here- but I HS too- we started in July last year and I will do it again-this is our second year. the first year we started Aug 1, 2005-then Katrina hit(we are from the NO,LA area) anf boy was i nervous about getting in those 180 days required by the state! This year, starting in July gave us much more freedom during the Christmas holidays, etc-I LOVED it-no stress-well, not as much!!!

not getting the story thru your link, jaycns.:wave2:

Here is a copy and I have updated the link above
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
By ANA BEATRIZ CHOLO, Associated Press Writer
Tue Mar 6, 3:52 AM ET

LOS ANGELES - David Sample wanted to attend the University of California at Riverside but thought it was a lost cause because he had been homeschooled.

The University of California system is known for being tough on nontraditionally schooled applicants. For them, the best ticket to UC has been transferring after taking community college classes or posting near-perfect scores on college entrance exams.

"For homeschoolers, it was basically a shut door for us because of the restrictions," Sample said.

Last fall, however, UC Riverside joined a growing number of colleges around the country that are revamping application policies to accommodate homeschooled students.

The change came just in time for the 18-year-old Sample to apply and get accepted with a substantial scholarship.

Under UC Riverside's new policy, homeschoolers can apply by submitting a lengthy portfolio detailing their studies and other educational experiences.

Sample's package showed he had studied chemistry, U.S. history and geometry, rewired a house and helped rebuild a medical clinic in Nicaragua.

The U.S. Department of Education reports that 1.1 million, or 2.2 percent of all students in the nation, are homeschooled.

Some private colleges have eagerly recruited those students for years and tailored application processes to include them. Homeschoolers still face challenges when applying to many public universities, but their chances of being considered are improving.

In 2000, 52 percent of all colleges in the country had a formal evaluation policy for applications from homeschoolers, said David Hawkins, director of public policy for the National Association for College Admission Counseling.

Four years later, the number jumped to 83 percent. During that time, 45 percent of colleges reported receiving more applications from homeschoolers, he said.

Major schools that now post application procedures for homeschoolers on their Web sites include Michigan State University, Oregon State University and the University of Texas.

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology is also willing to consider homeschoolers. The highly regarded school does not require a high school diploma. As part of its admissions process, it considers scores from college entrance exams and asks applicants to submit a 500-word essay, detail five extracurricular activities and offer two teacher evaluations.

"We evaluate every student based on who they are," said Merilee Jones, dean of admissions at MIT.

UC Riverside is actively recruiting homeschoolers, said Merlyn Campos, interim director of undergraduate admissions.

"There are a lot of students out there that are very prepared for a college level education," she said. "They are kind of being forced into going into a community college."

Frank Vahid, a UC Riverside computer science professor, was among those who lobbied for the change, contending the school could gain a competitive advantage because homeschoolers have a lot to offer.

Vahid's own children are taught at home. His 15-year-old son also takes community college classes and will likely try to transfer into to a public university.

The homeschooling movement has its roots in religion, but families pull their children out of traditional schools for a variety of reasons. When many of those students reached college age in the 1990s, colleges began considering their qualifications and potential more closely.

"Colleges are far more familiar with the backgrounds of homeschoolers and their needs," said Ian Slatter, director of media relations for the Home School Legal Defense Association. "We have had fewer and fewer problems."

Harrison Hartley has been homeschooled in Burbank since kindergarten. Now 13, he will start community college classes this year and hopes to transfer to a university as a junior before he turns 18.

"I just want him to start out with taking a couple of fun classes," said his mother, Beverly Hartley. "Then we'll throw him into things that are more serious."

Sample lives in Redlands with his parents and three younger siblings, who are also homeschooled. He got acceptance letters from colleges in Illinois and Texas but wanted to attend UC Riverside, the local university.

Now a freshman, he is adjusting well to college classes and shrugs when his peers complain about the way a professor teaches.

"You are already used to teaching yourself," he said about homeschooling. "Forget the teacher, forget the class, I am just going to read the book and figure it out myself."

___

On the Net:

http://www.americanhomeschoolassociation.org

Nice article! It is great that the colleges are open! Every HSer we know who has applied has been accepted, except for the one that wanted into the Coast Guard Academy. They automatically drop you 15 "points" for homeschooling.

Hey all! It's been awhile since this thread was active and I have been missing it. And I have a concern so this seemed to be the perfect time to give it a bump.

My recently turned 7 yo is becoming a nightmare to homeschool. He fights every single thing I say we are doing. Including games. I am just so tired of it I could cry. I don't want to fight with this child everyday but I don't think he would do well in a school setting either. I don't know what to do with him and need some suggestions. What he tells me is that he doesn't want to go to school and he doesn't want to homeschool he just wants school to not exist at all. I have tried just taking some time off but then all he does is whine about watching TV or playing computer games or whatever he can think of to complain about. Help!!

And a secondary question--if your kids are playing productively do you interupt them to do school? For instance, my boys right now are making a rocket ship out of a box. They have a whole plan, they have taped on controls and decided what each one does, are making up a story line etc. Technically we should be doing table work at this time of the day. They are 5 and 7. What would you do?

My thoughts, for what they are worth...

Let them build the rocket.

At 5 and 7, they may not be developmentally ripe yet for school, YKWIM? Between that and spring, they may have just hit the wall for a bit. You all start early, don't you?

We have cut back a bit, now that spring has sprung. Their math, spelling, etc., is nearly complete, but we are behind in French, art, and will be doing history into the summer, 'cuz Science was really big this year.

Are you doing a lot of paperwork? Maybe it is time to drop it for a bit, and find a fun unit study? Something to break up the pace, and not seem so school like. I remember feeling just like your son...some days, I still do!

OT...OH posters The K12 group is having a free day at the Cleveland Natural History Museum, COSI, and somewhere in Cincinatti in the next couple of months. It is a membership drive, so you don't need to be a member to go. I received an email invite, but I suspect you could find out more at their website.

Our family will "officially" begin homeschooling this coming year with my son in Kindergarten. We've always been doing it but now it becomes official. I'm so happy to see other homeschool Disney lovers!

We only have 1 child and are not able to have any more. I worry that his homeschool journey will be lonely without someone to share the day to day with. It seems like everyone homeschools several children and they have brothers and sisters to share their time with. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with schooling their only child and how you deal with things when they arise. I worry that he won't have anyone to blow off steam with and I worry that I'll burn out being the only one around all day to help and encourage him. My husband is super-supportive but he will be at work all day. I just wonder about my son have someone around to be frustrated with I guess. :confused3 If that makes any sense at all.

However, all that aside, I'm really excited about this coming year. My husband and I have always been a little outside the box. Both his Mom and Sister are public school teachers. :scared1: They are NOT very happy about our decision but we've been firm and matter-of-fact with them. We don't defend ourselves, we just state our intentions firmly. My Mother-in-law has gone so far as to try to talk my son into asking to go to school.. :mad: She keeps telling him how much fun it will be and how many friends he'll have etc. I realize at some point we'll have to deal with her, we have just been putting it off to keep the peace. :hippie: I am hoping that once she sees he is not starting kindergarten and that we meant what we said, she'll lay off a little. Hopeful but doubtful. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it is great to "meet" you all!!

We only have 1 child and are not able to have any more. I worry that his homeschool journey will be lonely without someone to share the day to day with. It seems like everyone homeschools several children and they have brothers and sisters to share their time with. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with schooling their only child and how you deal with things when they arise. I worry that he won't have anyone to blow off steam with and I worry that I'll burn out being the only one around all day to help and encourage him. My husband is super-supportive but he will be at work all day. I just wonder about my son have someone around to be frustrated with I guess. :confused3 If that makes any sense at all.

However, all that aside, I'm really excited about this coming year. My husband and I have always been a little outside the box. Both his Mom and Sister are public school teachers. :scared1: They are NOT very happy about our decision but we've been firm and matter-of-fact with them.

Anyway, it is great to "meet" you all!!

I homeschooled an only child, and we didn't have any problems due to it (she's currently in pharmacy school). She had outside activities just like any other child. I sometimes wondered whether homeschooling isn't easier with one child.

What I mean is, she grew up knowing how to occupy herself. She didn't have to be "entertained" by others to enjoy herself. I think that carried over to homeschooling.

As far as your MIL and SIL goes, both DH and I are also public school teachers. :goodvibes We chose what we thought was best for our daughter (who currently helps tutor her friends who had AP classes in public school).

Thanks!

It is true that our son knows how to occupy himself fairly well. He has more imagination than most of his friends, that is for sure. Although, I've played trains, cars and pirates more than I ever thought I would!

I think my husband's family will come around eventually. His sister teachers in a large city environment and she has been having a lot of trouble with drugs and violence in her fifth-grade class. I feel so sad for her and for those children. She has been looking forward to the end of the year this year, like never before.

I didn't mean any disrespect of public school teachers! Whoops! I guess that sounded bad. I just meant that with them working in the system it is harder to convince them that there is another way and that this will work for our family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter