Homeschooling

Folks, when my DD was growing up homeschooling, I heard every single one of the arguements that the naysayers are adding to this thread. After she finished, received very large scholarships, and was admitted to an early entry pharmacy program (where she currently maintains a 4.0 GPA), those people ran out of negatives.

We've had quite a few family members who have had to eat crow based on the many remarks they made throughout the years. They had children in AP courses throughout high school who didn't even get close to my DD's scores. I don't say that to disparage public schools. I certainly didn't care how they schooled their children (however, they did seem to feel the need to disparage my choices).

BTW, DH and I are public school employees (I'm a former teacher, and he's a current teacher). I do not have advanced high school degrees to cover every subject (B.S. in K-8 and a M.S. in Geosciences).

Basically, what I'm saying is "live and let live". The homeschoolers that I know seem to be more than willing to do that, but for some reason, others want to throw stones. All of us can come up with "that parent" who didn't do a good job, but I can come up with lots more in public school. It doesn't matter either way. If you don't like homeschooling, don't do it. It's that simple. Others do have a right to make their own choices though.

I try to go through all of history and keep cycling through. Each child should get each time period of history twice. We are back to the ancients again. See my earlier post(back a few post on history), I mentioned what we are using this year. Unfortunately, I get board with the same stuff, so I keep picking different programs. As I mentioned we had already used Diana Warings. Before that I had used Greenleaf's material. That is where I got the idea of cycling through history.(that was ancient years ago-the early 90's!) I didn't care for their material, it was too old for my children at that time. What I am using this year- Adam to Messiah, incorporates Diana Waring's tapes into the program! The format also incorporates what I call Diana Waring 4mat system. It is not hers, but she goes all over teaching it and she has a book on it. But I believe she said at one of her conferences she or her husband found it in a book? Whats nice is instead of having to create all the work like in Diana Warings program, the author has already formatted it!!!!! She has written the Introduction, she has put together and listed all the resources, then she has created ideas for step 3 and 4. For me it is more formatted and takes away alot of the planning. Anything else I find I like I just slide it in to her list.

The program Adam to Messiah also incorporates Charlotte Masons methods. One of which is writing to learn. They say if you hear you learn so much, if you read it you gain that much more, but if you have to write about it makes you own more because you have to process what you have learned and think how to write about it. I love the program!! I wish she could get past the study on Rome published! So for now she is recommending a book she wrote to teach us how to pull it all together ourselves and Mystery of History. I am using Mystery of History this year also. I add it into the other program(my base) The two programs are both good, but very different. MOH gives an excellent summary in a one or two page summary. With Adam to Messiah you go through the 4 step process to own the material. And alot of the material is differant then any other stuff out there.

We haven't done this one yet. We had done 4 years of classical history, and I didn't want to re-do the same. This way, my 1st grader (and all) will do DW's Ancient History, and then cycle thru the other next. I do have to say, it is too much information for 1 month. I figure we will be finishing in the summer.

I've always loved a good story, and she is a great story-teller! We've loaned the CD's out to friends for road trips, they are so good!
I love co-oping too! It is nice to make a mess at someone else's house on occasion!

Have you ever heard her speak in person? :love: Oh MY what a treat that is! At our state convention a couple of years ago she was there and I just said to my friends, "If you are looking for me, I will be at Diana Waring's room!" I pretty much parked myself there all weekend. I soooo wished DH could have been there that year! One morning as my friend and I were walking from our hotel to the convention center--through the skyway, thankfully!--we were walking a lot of the time with this young man who was wearing a "vendor" nametag. He was so well spoken, polite, funny, the whole nine yards and as we split up, I managed to read his nametag. It was HER SON! I was even more impressed at that point. I found myself wondering how he felt about being written about in her books.:rotfl:

Have you ever heard her speak in person? :love: Oh MY what a treat that is! At our state convention a couple of years ago she was there and I just said to my friends, "If you are looking for me, I will be at Diana Waring's room!" I pretty much parked myself there all weekend. I soooo wished DH could have been there that year! One morning as my friend and I were walking from our hotel to the convention center--through the skyway, thankfully!--we were walking a lot of the time with this young man who was wearing a "vendor" nametag. He was so well spoken, polite, funny, the whole nine yards and as we split up, I managed to read his nametag. It was HER SON! I was even more impressed at that point. I found myself wondering how he felt about being written about in her books.:rotfl:

Yeah, her kids are very nice! In Maine our conferences are small, so my kids got to hang out with her kids. They looked so at home and nice! Their whole family was nice-except her husband, just kidding. After one of their talks on how we learn, we were both standing there and I pointed to the poster that talked about the audio/hands on learner and said that was my son. He said, "Oh, they are the hardest to teach to read." Thats it! Thats all he said! No advice, no helps, just "yup, you'll have to find out what works for him." I was flabber gasted that he offered no help, no tips, no nothing, just that I had won the award for having one of the most difficult children to teach to read- I was estatic for that revelation!!

She was the main speaker for the first conference I went to. She's been my hero since! Welll, that, and she introduced us to Hank the Cowdog! I love that she is such a regular gal. I could see dishes piled in her sink, as they ran off to the library....:rolleyes1

I was flabber gasted that he offered no help, no tips, no nothing, just that I had won the award for having one of the most difficult children to teach to read- I was estatic for that revelation!!

:lmao: Yeah, cause I am sure you hadn't noticed that already!!! Too funny. Well, I guess we know why she is the author and speaker, huh? I have one of those learners too and yes, I thought he was never going to learn to read!

Meandtheguys--I so know what you mean about the dishes in the sink. Hey, if Diana Waring can do it, so can I right?

Another speaker I really really like is Todd Wilson. He is so down to earth and so funny and somehow he gets inside my head and knows my thoughts! :rotfl: Last year, DH and I stood for an hour and a half in his session to hear him speak. There was not even room left on the floor to sit let alone chairs.

Another speaker I really really like is Todd Wilson. He is so down to earth and so funny and somehow he gets inside my head and knows my thoughts! :rotfl: Last year, DH and I stood for an hour and a half in his session to hear him speak. There was not even room left on the floor to sit let alone chairs.

I heard him speak at the FPEA convention last year. He started his seminar by asking who had the biggest age gap between kids (or something similar - he was giving away a book). People had their hand raised - he started asking details. Once he found out that some were speaking of adopted children he actually said "adopted children don't count." I was livid as well as lots of other people and I left the room. I figured after that remark he didn't have valuable information for me to hear.:confused3

We use Story of the World. Ds10 will cycle back for his second go round with the ancients next year and ds7 and ds5 will get it for the first time. On ds10s first time through he was only 6 so we did the short story books, some of the projects (although he did none of those independently) and he did the map work with a great deal of help. This time I will use the same curriculum with no changes for my younger two. My older (then 11 year old) son will have to draw his own maps and then do the map work. He will complete some of the projects we skipped the first time around or even repeat some that are worth doing so on his own...this time he will have to do write ups for his history notebook about any project he completes (last time we just did the projects). He will have to read and write reports on long chapter books instead of the story books. He will keep an ongoing time line (to cover the next 4 years as he cycles back for the second time through all 4 stages of history) and a history notebook. In his history notebook I will have him pick one or two topics per chapter. Such as the people, events, books, inventions, art work, etc and he will have to use books, the library and the computer to do further research on whatever topic he choses and use that research to complete a 1 to 2 page paper on that topic. Finally, I will have him read the corresponding sections in the Kingfisher History of the World. I figure that will give him a 5th grade version of the first installment of Story of the World. Notice it's short on work on my end! ;) He will listen to the reading again. He will not be doing the coloring sheets or the story books this go round...but I think that by adding in the other elements he will get a sound second trip through the material.

So...for history...we are Story of the World all the way. I have noticed that a lot of those posting tend to weave Biblical history in with regular history. We do much the same thing...but it is not done for us in our curriculum. Instead, I added on the Veritas Press Bible history series. We did it at an accelerated pace (more then one program a year) to keep up with the time line we were studying...but we fit it in no problem.

I love the idea of a curriculum that would work that together...but I love Story of the World even more! It's such a good program! It's one of my favorite home school finds! I found myself learning right along with my boys while using the Story of the World. I loved the depth of knowledge presented and the ability to structure the studies in ways that suited each child's learning style.

www.peacehillpress.com (Story of the World publisher)
www.veritaspress.com (Bible History curriculum we use)

Also wanted to add The History of US. By J. Hakim...that's a great program. I plan to "throw in" two to three of the books in her series per year (as part of our "summer studies") in order to finish our first "go through" with the books by my oldest son's high school years.

Thanks for those awesome resources! I have bookmarked them for later inspection! :):):) THANKS!!!
Ugh..i'm so jealous!

We beg for snow down here, but we haven't even had a flurry in 2 years!

As for Grammar...DD is starting the grammar program through Keystone National High School today, so I don't have any feedback on that yet.

BUT

They did list several websites for her to use with her work. I haven't had a chance to check them out yet, but a few of them are...

Grammar Bytes at Grammar Bytes at chompchomp.com

If the name doesn't catch your attention, the URL does! This is a fun, humorous site that covers parts of speech, terminology, and grammar rules. Interactive exercises allow you to test what you've learned.

Shared Visions at http://www.shared-visions.com/explore/english/
Learn about the wonders and quirks of the English language. Topics include parts of speech, punctuation, and style guidelines.

Bartleby at www.bartleby.com
This is one-stop shopping!! Whether you want to check spelling, definitions, alternative word choices, or add a quotation from a famous, or not so famous, person, you'll find links to tons of sources to help you.

The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation at www.grammarbook.com
Have you ever taken a test that includes the answers? This site covers usage and puctuation rules and includes exercises, tests, and test answers for immediate feedback.

Word Central at www.wordcentral.com
Looking for that perfect word for a composition? This is a great site for help with vocabulary and links to dictionaries and thesauruses.

Paradigm Online Writing Assistant at www.powa.org
A great site to help you get started! You'll learn how to choose a topic, organize your thoughts, and revise and edit your work. It also examines the different types of essays and explains the characteristics of each of them.

Perdue University Writing Lab/Tutorial Center at owl.english.purdue.edu/
You will find online tutorials here to assist you with homework assignments. Other homework help links are available as well.
Need to cite references or quote material? Click on link, then OWL SEARCH, type in MLA
This is the Modern Language Assoc. format that we use."

What do you all use to teach Phonics? Any real gems out there?

We use www.headsprout.com That really seems to engage my children and somehow help it all click for them. I like the way that the program provides real time change based on the student's answers. It is amazing to me that the program is actually interactive and changes based on student responses. My kids love this program. My two eldest were each sad when they finished the second of the two reading programs. My youngest is still doing Headsprout.

We also use Veritas Press Phonics Museum....and WOW....I LOVE this program! It is designed to be a two year program (K and 1). It is a great program for many types of learners. There is music (by way songs) that helps with memory (don't worry, they include a CD...you don't have to be able to read music or even sing well to teach this...:rotfl: ). They also include the use of art in the curriculum. My boys are very interested in art (both in appreciation and in creating their own) so that helped with the whole attention span thing. It also works in discussion, worksheets, board work and even includes hand movements (like rubbing your tummy and when saying "mmmmmmm" or holding your hands up next to your mouth as if you are scared when saying "aaaaaaaaa"). I really love this program!!

Headsprout and The Phonics Museum both rate way up there for me on my home school finds list!

**along with that AVKO Sequential Spelling some of you recommended...we have used it for 5 days now...and WOW...the INSTANT progress and difference it has made for my oldest son is amazing!! THANKS for a great suggestion!!**

I heard him speak at the FPEA convention last year. He started his seminar by asking who had the biggest age gap between kids (or something similar - he was giving away a book). People had their hand raised - he started asking details. Once he found out that some were speaking of adopted children he actually said "adopted children don't count." I was livid as well as lots of other people and I left the room. I figured after that remark he didn't have valuable information for me to hear.:confused3

:sad2: I am absolutely shocked by that. Just speechless.

Phonics:
I love these free resources www.starfall.com and hubbardscupboard.org
We also used the Leapfrog dvds about $10 each at Wal-mart or Target. I think there is a series of 4 of them starting with the letter factory and going up to storybook factory. I used those resources along with the Dick and Jane books and the PBS serie Between the Lions and that is how my oldest 2 children have learned to read (almost forgot have also used some of the cheap workbooks at the dollar stores).

For phonics, we use Explode the Code. We love, love, love these workbooks!! The exercises also help with spelling and handwriting.

Phonics:
I love these free resources www.starfall.com and hubbardscupboard.org
We also used the Leapfrog dvds about $10 each at Wal-mart or Target. I think there is a series of 4 of them starting with the letter factory and going up to storybook factory. I used those resources along with the Dick and Jane books and the PBS serie Between the Lions and that is how my oldest 2 children have learned to read (almost forgot have also used some of the cheap workbooks at the dollar stores).

I just found out about the leap frog series. A friend of mine has a 4 1/2 yr old that is in preschool and started using these and has learned to read. So, I asked to borrow the first one. I was impressed, it was what I was looking for, a cute story that incorporates the letter sounds. I have been so tired of all these "educational" programs and they only teach the letter names! You can't teach a child to read by knowing the letter names! I have bought the first three, but we are on the first one. My just turned 4 and 2 1/2 year old love watching it. I can see more and more progress. I have never tried this before, but I could see potential if I could find a good dvd. I am not pushing or anything, I just wanted to find something educational to watch.

So how much do you think the dvd's helped?

BTW I have used differant phonics programs for differant children. I have used: 100 easy lessons(don't care for in the fact that it doesn't teach phonics, but it is easy to use, but I did have to go back and teach phonics- its not a program I will use again or recommend, but it is easy to teach. My son learned to read, but he had some gaps which I felt was due to the no phonics), Learning Language Arts Through Literature-Blue book(old version), Alpha Phonics and The Reading Lesson. I like the last three. They all have good points. I have used a little of each with my last child, pulling the pieces I needed. If I had to pick just one I would have to choose LLAL-blue book.

It is hard to say how much was just the DVDs and not the other stuff too. But the next one-I think the talking words factory does the chunks. at cat rat etc. Maybe that is the one where the peanut butter sticks the words together. I can't remember. Then the word factory 2 does when 2 vowels go walking the first one does the talking. There is also a letter factory board game that they got for Christmas one year. I just liked how well done they were and how cheap they were because I don't have a lot of money in our homeschool budget. And what I do have I like to spend on field trips etc if possible. I think they even got some of the dvds as gifts since they came from a regular store. I think that my oldest did the dvds with the starfall website together on a pretty regular basis and now I am trying to make sure that #2 does the same thing.

It is hard to say how much was just the DVDs and not the other stuff too. But the next one-I think the talking words factory does the chunks. at cat rat etc. Maybe that is the one where the peanut butter sticks the words together. I can't remember. Then the word factory 2 does when 2 vowels go walking the first one does the talking. There is also a letter factory board game that they got for Christmas one year. I just liked how well done they were and how cheap they were because I don't have a lot of money in our homeschool budget. And what I do have I like to spend on field trips etc if possible. I think they even got some of the dvds as gifts since they came from a regular store. I think that my oldest did the dvds with the starfall website together on a pretty regular basis and now I am trying to make sure that #2 does the same thing.

Yeah, I know it was a hard question. I have never seen a board game. Where did you get it? I don't think it is on the site? Was it good? Worth looking for? I haven't checked out your other sites yet...

I have seen the game at toys r us but it has been a couple of years I think. It actually talks to them with the same little song "every letter makes a sound...". They like it but i am not as good with board games as I should be because i have to keep the younger ones out of the little pieces. But you have inspired me to pull it out of the closet tomorrow. I am also in the process of making something called mini offices. If you google it you will get a website that tells how to make them something with busy teacher cafe. Don't remember the exact address (I can find out if anyone wants it) so I hated to post because you know what a difference one letter can make.;)

Does anyone know if the Leapster system has a phonics cartridge? I really want to get one for DD, but the prorgams all need to be educational. She has a My First Leap pad, but she is getting to old for the PK books, even though she is not yet 4 1/2.

So far she does pretty well with beginning letter sounds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter