Hoop de doo or spirit of aloha?

Mrsbird1129

Mouseketeer
I have an 8, 5 and almost 3 year old. Which one do you suggest? Or is there anither entertaining dinner out you’d suggest? Thanks!

I think Chef Mickey would be the most fun for your kids. Lots of people will tell the food isn’t good, but we always found it to be pretty good. The carving station, parmesan mashed potatoes, soup, salad and desserts are all fine.

It’s a lot of fun for kids. Like going to a character party.

FYI, I did not care for Spirit of Aloha and think younger kids like yours could get bored there. The food tasted like what a corporate cafeteria would serve for Hawaiian Day.

The show is exciting only toward the end because of the fire dancer, but most of it is pretty boring. If your family wants something Hawaiian, Ohana’s food and entertainment is about 500 times better.

I think Chef Mickey would be the most fun for your kids. Lots of people will tell the food isn’t good, but we always found it to be pretty good. The carving station, parmesan mashed potatoes, soup, salad and desserts are all fine.

It’s a lot of fun for kids. Like going to a character party.

FYI, I did not care for Spirit of Aloha and think younger kids like yours could get bored there. The food tasted like what a corporate cafeteria would serve for Hawaiian Day.

The show is exciting only toward the end because of the fire dancer, but most of it is pretty boring. If your family wants something Hawaiian, Ohana’s food and entertainment is about 500 times better.
Thanks!

Hoop Dee Doo is a lot of fun. DD7 and DS2 both really enjoyed it. DH thought the food was excellent and appreciated having some good comfort food. The entertainment is slightly corny, but the music and show are fun for all ages. My kids were engrossed throughout the whole performance. At the end, they brought out washboards and wooden spoon for the kids to make music on, which they thought was awesome and helped them to feel like they were part of the show. We liked that the food was AYCTE and brought to the table so we didn't have to worry about taking turns going up to the buffet. They brought pitchers of drinks and left them at the table so we had plenty to drink throughout the show. We also liked that since everything is pre-paid, including the tip, as soon as the show is done, you can leave without having to wait to pay the check. We used DDP credits and all of that was taken care of too so we could just leave without having to sign anything at the end. Given that it's all you can eat and drink, you get entertainment, and tip is included, we felt it was very worth it and plan to take the kids again next trip.

Hoop Dee Doo is a lot of fun. DD7 and DS2 both really enjoyed it. DH thought the food was excellent and appreciated having some good comfort food. The entertainment is slightly corny, but the music and show are fun for all ages. My kids were engrossed throughout the whole performance. At the end, they brought out washboards and wooden spoon for the kids to make music on, which they thought was awesome and helped them to feel like they were part of the show. We liked that the food was AYCTE and brought to the table so we didn't have to worry about taking turns going up to the buffet. They brought pitchers of drinks and left them at the table so we had plenty to drink throughout the show. We also liked that since everything is pre-paid, including the tip, as soon as the show is done, you can leave without having to wait to pay the check. We used DDP credits and all of that was taken care of too so we could just leave without having to sign anything at the end. Given that it's all you can eat and drink, you get entertainment, and tip is included, we felt it was very worth it and plan to take the kids again next trip.
Thank you!

Of the two, I would do HDDR. It's more entertaining, IMHO, and the sight lines are better. There really isn't a bad seat in the house at HDDR whereas we had trouble seeing SOA and we were two chairs back from the stage area.

I have an 8, 5 and almost 3 year old. Which one do you suggest? Or is there anither entertaining dinner out you’d suggest? Thanks!

Spirit of Aloha was boring to me as a 14 year old when my parents took me. But when I took my 3.5 year old, she loved it. And we loved it. But I would go with Hoop Dee Doo based on your kids ages for sure. Love Hoop Dee doo!

Hoop De Doo for 2 reasons the food is better and the weather. You can get rained out of Spirit and I have seen some really impressive rain after a show has started pretty much ruining everything.

HDDR even has a delicious dessert, LOL.
Now maybe Spirit of Aloha does too but assuming it's the banana bread pudding you can get that at 'Ohana's as well which is a less expensive childrens' favorite.
Never been to SoA just watched the people roll out of there and into Trader Sam's when I stay at Poly.

Mickeys BBQ would be best for your kids. They would LOVE it there! They can dance with Mickey, Minnie Chip and Dale and Goofy all night! There is also a clown doing lasso tricks. Not sure I would even take them to the other 2....but if I had to pick I would go with SOA. Better kids food and a little "play" to watch, they also get to participate a little on stage with a hula lesson of they choose. HDDR is loud and corny and terrible food, IMO.

In Ft Wilderness, right near HDDR. It is outdoors, but covered. Weve been when it was pouring rain out and still had a wonderful time! It only runs about 3 nights per week. Youll have to check their schedule. Last year it was Tue/Thu/Sat at 6:30pm.

The house band is great!

73269_158295817538856_4319751_n.jpg

68813_158295847538853_4904653_n.jpg

73132_158295897538848_3700274_n.jpg

33624_158295920872179_5086346_n.jpg

In Ft Wilderness, right near HDDR. It is outdoors, but covered. Weve been when it was pouring rain out and still had a wonderful time! It only runs about 3 nights per week. Youll have to check their schedule. Last year it was Tue/Thu/Sat at 6:30pm.

The house band is great!

73269_158295817538856_4319751_n.jpg

68813_158295847538853_4904653_n.jpg

73132_158295897538848_3700274_n.jpg

33624_158295920872179_5086346_n.jpg

Sorry to hijac, but I have a question about the seating at the BBQ. From your pics, it looks like the picnic tables have a fair bit of empty room. Is that just because a lot of people are up dancing, etc? Does it feel crammed at the picnic tables while eating, like squished in there with a bunch of strangers?

HDDR is our absolute favorite dinner on every trip. It is a must do for us. My 2 year old niece even loves it and she's been twice. The food is great, the show is fun and the actors are really funny. The atmosphere of being at Fort Wilderness is just really special. It is something we look forward to the most on each trip.

HDDR. We do this show every time since 2012. Went to Spirit of Aloha in 2011 and have not done it again. HDDR: Whimsical show, great comfort food, engaging for kids, air-conditioned (summer) and heated (winter).

Sorry to hijac, but I have a question about the seating at the BBQ. From your pics, it looks like the picnic tables have a fair bit of empty room. Is that just because a lot of people are up dancing, etc? Does it feel crammed at the picnic tables while eating, like squished in there with a bunch of strangers?

Depends on the night, but never have I felt squished or even close to it and I am definitely one to like my personal space! Picnic tables are pushed together, but most families have their own table with very little overlapping even on a busy night. Obviously if you are a party of 2 someone else will be at your table, but a party of 5 will most likely have their own table, right up against another table, but still roomy. I have been at least 6 - 7 times, but honestly dont remember which night of the week we went each time, so I cant say Saturday is always busier then Thursday etc... I really think it just depends on the day and randomly if it will be busy. Kids are always up dancing, watcning the clown tricks etc... they are rarely at the tables.

I never understood the different categories of seating. Every time Ive been it was first come, first seated. Its one line outside and once the pavillion opens, everyone rushes in and grabs a table they want. The hostess tries to point people in directions, but never verifies what category seating they have.

Ill try to show what its like below. Excuse the writing, hard to write with a mouse!!!

upload_2018-3-11_12-39-34.png

upload_2018-3-11_12-51-36.png

upload_2018-3-11_12-56-59.png

12015226_903942389640858_3304713349447102952_o.jpg

12006678_903942199640877_23934263705945028_o.jpg
12031544_903942196307544_8215749416659549282_o.jpg

12034181_903942319640865_4001759411980727194_o.jpg

Here is HDDR......my kids never liked it and the food was not great, IMO.... fried chicken, ribs and potatoes served family syle. Category seating here makes a difference. Cat 1 is on the flloor, closest to the stage, Cat 2 is further from the stage on Fl 1 or right row on the balcony. Cat 3 is second row of tables on the balcony.

upload_2018-3-11_13-25-45.png

upload_2018-3-11_13-27-52.png

upload_2018-3-11_13-29-56.png

upload_2018-3-11_13-31-21.png

upload_2018-3-11_13-33-2.png

upload_2018-3-11_13-34-25.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter